Forceful Ops

Dr Archeville

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nightrival tips his head to the side when Aristodemus aburptly turns to leave.

"If yer interested, we meet at Monty's Garage," he says as Aristodemus walks out of the store. He watches the hero for a moment then turns to Arrowhawk.

"Well, that was . . . interesin' ta say th' least. A man o' few words and all that. So, how about it? Ya inta join' up? Ya can handle yerself inna fight and we can use that."

Shinken almost jumps right after her again- but pauses momentarily.

She just keeps running away from us, not even trying to strike back or even slow us down. That leaves me free to strike with impunity!

The armored hero lets his blade fall to the side as he watches Grab, waiting for the proper opportunity to strike- then, as she hits a telephone pole at an odd angle, he acts. Time seems to slow for him as he begins a charge, leaping long and low to take him just inches over the traffic and pedestrians between him and Grab: he gets there just as she makes an unsteady landing, sweeping his sword in a huge, speed-blurred arc that hits her squarely on the top of the head. Carried up and over the elastic criminal by the force of his own strike, he makes an akward, exposed landing, nearly dropping his sword as he reaches out to a parked car to steady himself.

If Shinken's shot ends the fight:

Moira watched Shinken crash into Grab with a resounding crunch from his wooden sword. Looking around at the mass of people that cleared the way for her, she smiled and called out to them with an approving voice, "Thank you all for your cooperation! You have been so helpful to this city. Go on about your business know that you help saved the day today!"

After the people returned to their hustle and bustle, Moira made her way over to the defeated villainess and the triumphant hero. She looked to Shinken with a bit of confusedness, "Is she going to be OK? That was a pretty sick blow there."

If Shinken's shot does not end the fight:

Moira took off with a dead sprint towards the fleeing villainess. It felt like she was forever away, but she finally reached her. She latched on to Grab and the struggle began.

If Shinken's shot ends the fight:

Within moments after Shinken's blow connects, the area is filled with a red glowing light as Red Star touches down next to Grab. "Thanks a lot for your help, I don't think I could have got her that quickly by myself. Think we should bring her back to the Record Store? The others are probably wondering how I made out. I'm Red Star by the way."

If Shinken's shot does not end the fight:

Red Star moves into a better position above the ground and lies in wait until he can get a clear shot, not wanting to hurt the random passers by or the new samurai guy.

Shinken's potent attack brings the rubbery robber down.

Within moments after Shinken's blow connects, the area is filled with a red glowing light as Red Star touches down next to Grab. "Thanks a lot for your help, I don't think I could have got her that quickly by myself. Think we should bring her back to the Record Store? The others are probably wondering how I made out. I'm Red Star by the way."

Moira watched Shinken crash into Grab with a resounding crunch from his wooden sword. Looking around at the mass of people that cleared the way for her, she smiled and called out to them with an approving voice, "Thank you all for your cooperation! You have been so helpful to this city. Go on about your business know that you help saved the day today!"

After the people returned to their hustle and bustle, Moira made her way over to the defeated villainess and the triumphant hero. She looked to Shinken with a bit of confusedness, "Is she going to be OK? That was a pretty sick blow there."

"Good question. Just a moment."

The armored man kneels next to the rubbery robber.

Run firefox.exe in upper-right HUD window. http://www.webmd.com. Search query: "Head injury."

After a moment's pause, he takes a good look at the scalp where his sword hit, then opens the eyelids and takes a close look at the pupils.

"I'm no doctor, and metahuman medicine is tough- but it looks like it's just a concussion."

He stands, sheathing his blunted sword and shaking hands with both Moira and the Red Star.

"More than welcome, Red Star. I go by Shinken. There are others, you say? Interesting. Yes, I'll come back with you in a moment. And you!"

He turns to Moira: the approving, friendly voice contrasts strangely with the vaguely forbidding and rather inexpressive full face mask with weirdly glowing green eyes.

"I'm impressed as hell. You kept your head in a crisis and acted decisively without getting in the way."

He holds out an armored hand: with a faint whirring sound, a business card is deposited into the palm.

"If you're looking, I'd like to offer you a job. People like you aren't easy to find."

When Shiken adverts his attention away from Red Star to focus more on Moria, Red Star holds his arms out wide with a mock appalled look on his face behind Shiken's back. Clearly Red Star isn't used to not being the center of attention. His annoyance subsides when Shiken pulls out a business card out of... somewhere, and Red Star turns his head to the side to get a better look. "Dude, you have a business card giver outer thing in there? Please tell me you at least have basic cable."

Moira smiled at Shinken, "I was just doing what I could do to help." Taking the card from his hand, she chuckled appreciatively, "Thank you, um," she checked the name on the card and then looked back to him, "Shinken. I don't know what to say. Er, so. Thanks." She had never thought about being a superhero before. Life was tough enough trying to stay balanced socially amongst regular people. The superhero community had to be much more demanding.

Stepping over Grab, she made her way over to Red Star. "You're Red Star, right? I've been hearing so much about your work for a while now. Did you say you were going to the record store? Wilmington Avenue Audio? I was going there too until I saw Grab running away from it," she pointed to the fallen criminal without even looking down to her. "Do you guys mind if I come too?"

When Moria mentions that she has heard of him, Red Star does his level best to try and act calm cool and suave. He of course fails utterly, but hey he's trying. Puffing out his chest a little with a show of pride Red Star replies "Why yes I am Red Star. I'm always glad to meet a fan." He returns to a normal posture before becoming a little excited saying "Wait, you've heard of me? How did you find out? My blog, newspapers, tv reports, word of mouth? Oh wait, umm maybe a question for another time. I have no objection to you coming with us, but I do have a condition. You give us a name to call you other than Red, that one's taken."

• 2 weeks later...

"My name is," Moira smiled and quickly uttered in a gleeful tone before catching herself. Superheroes don't go by real names, she thought, I gotta think of something that will impess these guys. Shinken sounds cool. Red Star sounds cool. What will they call me? "M," she said looking at the two other heroes for approval.

Aristodemus had been going in the same direction as the others had been pursuing the stretching woman, without knowing it. But as he was walking, he saw the crowd of people cheering on some other heroes. He then saw that red glowing kid he taught a move earlier in the music shop.

"Excuse me, excuse me." He said as he passed through the crowd of people to see the red kid, a man in heavy armor and a stunningly beautiful woman having a chat.

Upon nearing the group, he heard the woman call herself 'M'. He just couldn't pass the opportunity since he was behind her.

"I assume 'M' stands short for something else, right?"

Looking to the new arrival with a blush on her face, Moira smiled, "Well, yeah, though it's sort of on the spot. I figure if I do do the thing you guys do I'll need a better moniker, but it works for now." Attempting to get the embarassed look off of her face, she reached out her hand in greeting, "You have my name, but I'm afraid I don't have yours."

Meanwhile, inside the store, Nightrival crosses his arms and looks out to the street. The other heroes have not returned yet and he is starting to worry. Grab is a resilient opponent, it's possible she could have beaten them and escaped while he and Arrowhawk and Hub remain unaware of the situation.

"We should go an' look fer those guys," he suggests. "Th' cops'll be 'ere soon ta clean up this mess. I don't think Smash is goin' anywhere."

He walks out of the store and beckons the others to join him.

"I'm the Spartan. I'm usually not one to go with monikers, but it seems to be some kind of unwritten rule. I don't really care if people know my real name. And for that matter, it's Aristodemus."

Aristodemus took 'M's hand in return and shook it, and at the same time, looked up at her beautiful face, considering his own height.

Nightrival jogs in the direction he saw the others go when they chased after Grab. He jumps up onto the hood of a car, removes a swing line from his belt, throws it towards a nearby streetlight, and then he leaps off the car and swoops down the street. As he a turns at an intersection, he lets go of the line in mid-air and throws another one. He frowns at having to lose so many of them when he swings around the city.

I gotta get me a better system, he thinks.

He finally spots the heroes gathered on the sidewalk. He recognizes Red Star and Spartan, but the other two must be newcomers. He's never seen the woman before, but is that Shinken standing beside her? Nightrival grins to himself. Releasing the line, he somersaults down and lands on his feet.

"I see ya found 'em 'fore I did," he says to Spartan. He looks to the other heroes. "Ya guys did a good job back there. Th' name's Nightrival. And you," he says, turning to Shinken, "I haven't seen ya since tha' raid down in th' Southside. I thought I recognized tha' blur in th' street. How ya doin'?"

Arrowhawk arrived shortly after Nightrival, standing a little back from the group. "Y'know, Nightrival," he said from behind the man and proferring his grappling gun. "Get a magnetised grappling gun. Leaves less of a trail."

He turned to take in the rest of the group. "Hiya, I'm Arrowhawk. Sorry if I don't recognise any of you, as you can tell from the accent I'm not from around here." He accented his Scots accent further near the end so it would be more prominent.

Red Star is obviously taken aback by the sudden appearance of all the other supers. Red Star addresses the supers from the store "OK, point of order. If you're all going to just poof out of the crowd like that, do me a favor and wear a cowbell or something, I'm running out of skin to jump out of." Red Star chuckles at his own joke for a moment, shaking his head. He looks like he's about to say something, but then he realizes that he's still glowing. He shuts off the glow sheepishly saying "Just I can stop being a beacon now huh?"

"Alright to bring you up to speed here, I chased Grab to that area over there, when uhhh..." Red Star casts a sidelong glance at the business card M's holding "...Shinken! here found the chase in progress. After a small skirmish, Grab tried to get some cover in the crowds, but M here dispersed the crowds quick enough that Shinken could end the fight."

"Huh. Tha's a good idea," he says to Arrowhawk with a grin. "Can ya hook me up wit' somethin' like that? There ain't no Q dishin' out swag ta me, if ya know wha' I mean."

"Man, I gotta rep ta maintain," he jokes with Red Star. "Sneakin' up on people is wha' pays th' bills. But ya know, I'm impressed wit' 'ow ya handled yerselves in this 'ere crisis."

Shinken stands up straight when he gets a look at Nightrival.

The lines are new. So are the escrima sticks...and even the accent. Smart move- I found him a little too easily last time, and anything that creates some distance between Nightrival and Liam is a good idea. The stance is tightened up, he looks trimmer...

Impressive. What's he been up to?

"Never better, Nightrival. It's good to see you. You seem to be doing well for yourself. Did you put this together-" with a gesture at the assembled superhumans- "or is Freedom City just getting crowded?"

Aristodemus looked at this ensemble of superheroes and when the other one along with Red Star and 'M' asked the question, he had an instant answer for that.

"I think it was just sheer coincidence that we were all here at the same time. Or maybe fate, for those thinkers. I go for the former."

Noticing some dust on his left arm, he brushed it off. "Now, might I ask who you are, or am I going to have to ask the public as usual?"

It takes Red Star a moment to decipher what the heck Nightrival is saying, he's never been good at understanding accents. When he realizes he's being complemented however he sheepishly rubs the back of his neck "It wasn't really that impressive. I just kinda helped out, and did what came naturally, hoping it would work. Everyone else held themselves together real good too."

When the topic of how they all managed to show up arose Red Star chimed in "Yeah, it was total coincidence I was here. I was just on my way back from - ****! Aw man! my groceries! Be right back." Red Star then turns around and takes off at a run before, blasting off into the air. He returns just a moment later, thankfully the chase had gone in the same direction he had come from so his grocery bags were nearby. Touching down a moment later, goceries in hand Red Star gives a small "sorry" to the crowd before, setting down his bags.

Shinken starts to answer Aristodemus, but is interrupted by Red Star's sudden blastoff.

"Just a minute...don't want to be repeating myself when he gets back."

The armored man bemusedly waits for a moment or two as Red Star gets himself straightens out, then nods when he returns.

"I'm called Shinken. The suit is a technology demonstrator for Ares Macrotechnology, a high-tech military contractor and my employer: it makes me strong, agile, and durable, and I know how to use these-" with a smooth motion, Shinken draws and resheathes both of the swords at his belt- "-very well indeed. I've worked with Nightrival before.

And that's who I am and what I do. Yourself?"

"I'm Aristodemus the Spartan. I for one eschew weapons and armor in favor of skill, wisdom and experience to get things done. And if things does go pear-shaped for me, my immortality keeps me safe. That's who I am, and what I do, unlike what youngsters do these days, Shinken-kun."

Aristodemus responded to Shinken's announcement, taking no pride in what he said, but had a smile on his face at the same time.

"And I don't care if people know who I am or not. Oh, and do me wrong in a way..."

He lifted his foot make a feint kick to the side of Shinken's face in an instant, and as quickly as it was there, he had taken it down.

"...and you're just a punchbag in a tin can for me, okay?"

"Immortal?" pondered Arrowhawk. "And you call yourself the Spartan. So... guessing you're a fair bit older than us." Raising his head to illuminate his face better beneath the cowl. "So do yourself a favour and stop making yourself look immature enough to start calling heroes names and threatening them. Yes, as you demonstrated you could easily kick him right here, right now. But could you take him down completely before Red Star flies forward and punches you? Before M here attacks you as well? Nightrival? I know damn sure you couldn't do it before I've nocked my bow and fired. So, what I'm saying, in a roundabout way is..."

The dark-clad man stepped between Aristodemus and the group. "Cool it."