Forceful Ops

Dr Archeville

"Calm down, you're only making it worse!" shouted Arrowhawk at the brute, aware of the hypocrisy that he himself was quite ticked off at this point. Having drawn a bead on Smash's head, the dark-clad archer took out yet another blunt arrow and let it fly.

"Want to mess with me rather than taking swings at the same guy all the time?" inquired the archer, thinking that his allies could do with a little breathing room.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Grab bounds out of the store, a forceful red corona once again fills the store. Once again glowing (not to mention flying), Red Star hangs in the air for a moment to shout "Don't worry, she won't get far." before heedlessly rocketing out of the store in pursuit of Grab. Red Star's eyes dart back and forth as he quickly scans the area for signs of stretchy woman bounding along the streets leaving a trail of stolen money in her wake. As the thought crosses his mind, Red Star has to laugh at the fact that he lives in a city where such a set of circumstances isn't too out of the ordinary.

Assuming he can find his quarry, Red Star immediately gives chase flying with little concern for his own safety as he flings a fireball at Grab. "Don't make this any hard than it has to be!" He shouts after her.

If he can't spot her, Red Star will do the next best thing: ask for directions.

EDIT: Wrong Link.

"Don't mind me, archer boy! I can take care of myself."

Aristodemus tried to be nice. Really, he tried. But the giant refused to listen to him. So what the Spartan was going to do was to make that the big boy doesn't get up for a while.

"Take this, you lumping pile of muscles!"

Aristodemus planted a rather nasty kick to the giant's stomach. The giant should feel like he's got jelly legs by now.

Nightrival finally recognizes his opponents. Word on the street is that these two belong to a crew called Larceny, Inc. He remembers hearing about a wall of muscle named Smash and a rubbery woman named Grab running with this particular outfit. Isn't a record store a little too small-time for these guys? There's somethin' here we're not payin' attention ta, he thinks.

Unfortunately, he is far too ambitious. Grab's incredibly pliable form snakes and slithers all over the store in mulitiple directions, provided to be far too difficult for Nightrival to overcome. Instead of leaping over her, he decides to kick her with his heels as he tumbles backwards, remaining on the counter. He frowns when he feels his feet bounce off her like a trampoline.

When Grab makes her hasty retreat, Nightrival grins to himself. He and the other heroes harassed them so much, she decided that thrashing the store was not worth the bother. He'll let the glowing kid catch up to her. Right now, Smash looks like the most promising target. If they don't restrain him soon, he could cause even more damage.

"Looks like yer partner turned tail, Smash. It's about time we shut ya down too!"

Nightrival draws his escrima staves. He leaps off the counter, somersaults once, and then rams the two staves directly into Smash's midsection with a terrible ferocity. After he lands on the floor, he immediately tumbles out of reach of his massive quarry.

Kevin remains behind some of the rubble knocked up by the fight. So far, the damage has been relatively minor. That's thanks in large part to all of the heroes who have stepped up to fight the super-villain and villainess. When Smash speaks, though, he pauses. It sounds fairly clear that the huge man isn't all there in the upstairs, and beating him senseless will probably not improve the situation. He tilts his head, then looks back with his chi-sight to see what sort of damage has been done to him.

• 3 weeks later...

Arrowhawk's arrow flies true, smashing into the punch-drunk Smash... but he seems too stupid to be notice!

Hub looks about, focusing on the man-mountain. Hi superhuman senses detect... [[ See OOC thread. ]]

Nightrival flips and dashes over, executes what should be a perfect jab to the man-mountain's solar plexus... but misses!

Red Star has no problem seeing Grab bouncing off, and lets fly a crimson orb of energy. Unfortunately for the eager hero, it misses, though at this distance he cannot tell if it did so because of an error in his aim or because of her inhumanly fast reflexes.

Speaking of inhumanly fast, Grab continues bouncing and flipping down the street, putting another 275 feet (somewhere between the width and the length of an American football field) between her and him! Oddly, she seemed to be laughing as she went.

Smash lashes out at the last thing to attack him: Nightrival. In his near-mindless enraged state, he aims a powerful haymaker at the vigilante's head. Fortunately, Nightrival's head is nowhere near its previous position once the blow reaches him, and the man-mountain hits nothing but air.

Spartan lands a solid kick on the Man-Mountain, one that should have felled most mortal men. He seemed to barely register it.

Moirahad heard great things about Wilmington Avenue Audio. Mainly that they had an album of her favorite local folk rock cover band, The Vigilantes, covering Frank Sinatra in their own style. This was more of a morbid curiousity than anything, she had to have it!

Unfortunately for her it was not to be. Some stretchy red-headed loon in a green costume had beaten her to the music store and was making a getaway with some stolen cash. There was also a loud ruckus coming from inside the store. "So much for that idea," Moira grunted as she took aim at the loon and swung.

Nightrival does the one thing any decent fighter would do if he swings too wide: he follows through with another strike to make sure he doesn't get tagged by his opponent. After he pops back up from ducking under Smash's punch, he slams both escrima staves directly into the giant man's solar plexus. Nightrival then backflips five feet back to avoid Smash's massive hands. He stands at the ready, brandishing his staves with gleam of malice flashing in his eyes.

"Yer a lot slower than I expected!" he quips. "Word on th' street is that yer the baddest game in town."

With shocking suddenness, a red-and-gold blur whirls from the top of an office building, streaking past the fast-moving Grab and landing with an impact that cracks the asphalt. A masked figure clad in gleaming red-and-gold armor, holding a blunted sword of dull grey metal, becomes suddenly visible in the shallow crater.

Damn, still not used to the leg servos letting me jump like that! Did I get her...?

As he sees Red Star following in hot pursuit, his request is simple. "I'm with you. Fill me in!"

Aristodemus was really not having a good day. And at the same time, he was having fun. This was the first time in over 40 years that he had met an opponent that still stood after the first three hits. But it was probably time to finish this.

If I make a kick to his knee, then he's probably going to be still standing, no good. What if I make a boxer punch like the first one? No, he made that one, wait, I got it!

The Spartan jumped up, grabbed hold of Smash's face on both sides and planted aMuay Thai knee kick to his face while shouting "Kaoloi!"

As two more people joined the chase, Red Star became convinced that flying was a more common method of transportation than walking in Freedom City. Shouting at the samuria guy (who had a really cool costume by the way) "That's Grab! She ripped off a store a few blocks back! I'll circle around!"

Eager to put an end to this chanse, and Grab's odd laughter, Red Star rockets foward at his full speed ahead of Grab, trying to block off her routes of escape, hoping his compatiriots will be enough to subdue Grab.

In the Store

Nightrival does the one thing any decent fighter would do if he swings too wide: he follows through with another strike to make sure he doesn't get tagged by his opponent. After he pops back up from ducking under Smash's punch, he slams both escrima staves directly into the giant man's solar plexus. It knocks a bit of wind out of him, but he seems to quickly recover.

Arrowhawk whirls around in a ferocious sidekick into the battered thug's side, feeling it thud off his rock-hard body... but it does make the man-mountain wobble a bit!

The Spartan jumps up and grabs hold of Smash's face on both sides, though the man-mountain bats him away in an almost casual manner. The Muay Thai knee kick he plants on his face, though, still makes a solid hit.

And the 7'11" tall thug falls.

Outside

With shocking suddenness, a red-and-gold blur whirls from the top of an office building, streaking past the fast-moving Grab and landing with an impact that cracks the asphalt. A masked figure clad in gleaming red-and-gold armor, holding a blunted sword of dull grey metal, becomes suddenly visible in the shallow crater. The figure whacks at Grab as it zips past, but misses the rubbery robber.

Red Star zips out ahead of Grab, hoping to block her escape.

Grab continues bouncing along, off a lamp post, down an alleyway, and into a busy section of sidewalk. Though it's not hard to make her out, attacking her without endangering any bystanders would be very tricky.

One of the people in the busy sidewalk is Divine. She sees what's up, takes a swing at the rubbery robber, but misses.

Arrowhawk pulled out a net arrow, pulling together the brute's wrists and smashing the tip off of them. The net burst out to contain his hands. "If he wakes up, this should at least give us a few moments to gather ourselves before he tries anything. The stretchy one was moving too fast for any of us, so I hope the others have better luck catching her."

He stood and turned to face the other heroes. "I'm Arrowhawk," he said, pointing at the white bird logo on his shirt. "Not been here long enough to know any of you by sight, sorry."

Nightrival can feel the bones in his hand rattle when he hits Smash and watches as the brute takes two more strikes before toppling to the ground. He straightens up and looks around the store to survey the damage and search for Hub.

He's disappointed that Grab managed to escape, though luckily none of the customers were badly hurt. He did notice a familiar red-and-gold blur in the distance moving in Grab's direction. Maybe she won't get far after all? Nightrival turns to the other heroes in the store.

"That was some decent fightin' back there," he says. "Nice to meet ya, Arrowhawk. I'm Nightrival. I was checkin' out a lead with my friend - we're in this team - and then these two suddenly went off th' chain.

Aristodemus turned to look around the store to check for any damage. When seeing that the damage was cheap, he then checked his knee. That last one really hurt him this time. And it wasn't something to heal just overnight.

He turned to his fellow heroes. "I'm the Spartan, I don't do these weird costumes. You ask me, they're just an invitation for a bullet. I was just passing through here when this bit of fun happened."

He massaged his sore knee. "Argh, that one hurt a lot. I need to start stretching again."

Shinken explodes off of his feet, dashing after Grab's rubbery form. As he enters the alleyway, he turns the momentum of his sprint into a series of quick leaps off of the opposing walls, carrying himself higher and higher until he reaches the end of the alley- in a perfect position to strike from above. Pushing off of the wall in a final jump, he whirls in midair to avoid a pedestrian's umbrella and strikes at Grab with a rolling slash accompanied with a piercing kiai.

Trying to keep up with Grab, Moira does a double pinky whistle loud enough for the people surrounding the escaping villain to take notice. Using her outside voice, she announced, "Would the people surrounding the fleeing red head in the green costume please move out of the way?" Still chasing after Grab, Moira alerts the crowd, "This is official hero business!" She points to Shinken for emphasis.

Shinken's rolling-slash-from-above with his bokken smacks solidly into the rubbery robber... and bounces off completely harmlessly.

Grab continues zig-zagging down the street, bouncing off of lamp posts and walls as she goes. One car slams on brakes to avoid hitting her/being hit; if this keeps up, she could cause some serious traffic accidents.

The bystanders part like the Red Sea for Moira. Grab's about 90 feet from the semi-demi-goddess now.

Smash remains unconscious.

"Nah, I told you. I was just passing through here. Then this hullabaloo happened."

Aristodemus leaned towards a rack of albums filled with Nightwish and pulled out his cell phone. He quickly pressed 911.

"Hello? Yeah, we are in Hanover, and two ruffians tried to rob a music store. One is unconscious, the other is being pursued by other superheroes."

He noted the size of the big fellow he knocked out. "And you might want to bring an armored truck. The unconscious one is big." Then he hung up after receiving a confirmation.

"Right," replies Nightrival. "Good thing ya were passin' through. I dunno if we coulda took on these two on our own. That's why we're puttin' a team together so we can handle guys like Smash and Grab. Ya know, we're lookin' ta recruit more members. Ya'll interested in bein' in one o' those superhero teams?"

He looks around the store again to call over Hub. The other hero is apparently gone, or is still hiding.

"My teammate Hub was 'ere a second ago. He's probably 'elpin' out the customers or somethin'."

The Arrowhawk stood silently, thinking about the offer and glancing nervously at the unconscious superthug. They don't stay down forever... "I suppose I could help you guys out with your team if you like. Depends how much time you'd need us to devote to it." He lowered his voice. "I do have a project in operation on stopping the mob in this city, but on the other hand working with fellow capes gets so much more done."

Aristodemus had frozen for a while when hearing the proposal of joining a superhero. He had to think that one over. Joining a team had both upsides and downsides. The upsides were that you had comrades with you, friends that helped you no matter what. You could accomplish almost anything with them, and then share a good meal or amount of drinks afterward.

But the downside was that you had to put your trust in them. If one would betray you, then the scar would be deeper than any gunshot you've received.*

Aristodemus, though, had just one question for that offer: "Does that mean I have to start wearing some kind of suit or something?"

"We can help ya with whatever case yer workin' on," Nightrival says to Arrowhawk. "Sometimes our cases overlap, ya know?"

"Costumes are optional," he replies to Aristodemus with a chuckle. "Though ya might wanta conceal yer identity somehow. I dunno. It's up ta ya, really."

"We gotta a meetin' place in th' Southside and a contact in th' Freedom League," he continues. "We just need more folks in our roster. We can wait fer those other guys ta come back and see what they think."