Mending Fences

Heritage

Archeville nodded solemnly, "I do remember that.  That's one of the reasons I decided to come to you first, thinking -- hoping -- that you might have an open mind on such things."  He sighed again, and took another long sip from his drink.  "How are you going about that?  Setting up charities to help victims of supervillains?  Or victims of more standard, non-super criminals?  I know the victims of crimes get little long-term attention -- especially if they've been attacked by someone without flashy powers or gear -- and I can see you working with such groups.  If that is something you'd like to do, and need some help setting up the paperwork on that, I know some folks who might can help," he said as he finished the last dregs from his cup.

And then his mouth twisted into a smirk.  "Preyed on wealthy men, eh?  So that's why you joined my team..."  He laughed a bit, and it felt good.

The changeling scoffed and held up her hand, her thumb and forefinger less than an inch apart."You're just a little sharper than my usual marks were, or rather how smart I thought they were; my ingrained prejudice towards yuppies may have influenced my choice of targets a tad." She sighed and shook her head. "Oy, what a self-righteous little shit I was! I do not miss that part of being young." Lynn stared off into space for a few seconds. "I had this idea a few years ago, of setting up a foundation in my grandfather's name; it's primary focus would be providing assistance to the victims of non-violent crimes. Especially the victims of supervillains, unscrupulous psychics and magical whammies." 

Then she turned to the doctor and smiled sadly. "Atonement is big among my people."

Our people, he thought, remembering the little chat they'd had some years ago when he revealed his father's mother -- the mistress of his Nazi super-scientist grandfather -- was Jewish.  But... no, no.  I am not sure I could feel comfortable in that world, or that anyone there would be comfortable with me in it.

Archeville smiled and nodded solemnly, "I can appreciate that, yes.  But your foundation sounds like an excellent idea!"  He smiled warmly and placed a hand over hers -- it felt a bit cooler than usual, under the holodisguise, likely due to the metals in his skin.  "And while I know this is a thing you want to do, need to do, yourself, if there is any way I can help, please let me know."

"But for now," he patted her hand and pushed his chair back, "I must be going.  Lots of people to meet, apologies to make, closures to... resolve."  He stood, stepped to the side of the table, and tried to stand with arms half-open, willing to accept any sort of embrace but not expecting or asking for one.  "It was really good to see you again, and I wish you all the best."

• 2 weeks later...

Lynn didn't hesitate for a moment, standing and embracing the super-genius in a warm hug. "It was good to see you, Viktor; I wish you all the best."

She finally let him go and then straightened this jacket as she smiled sadly. "We old timers have to stick together. And yes, I will take you up on that offer of help; as my partner would say, I'm pretty sh##y with money."

The changeling flicked her fingers, and a business card appeared.  "Do come by the shop sometime; former Interceptors save 15%!"

Edited by Heritage