Questions

Questionnaire

Essays

Thoughts on Trick Arrows

Journal

February 4th 2009, March 22nd 2009 and March 23rd 2009

September 16th 2009

The British Files

Sherwood III, and a general overview of the Sherwood legacy.

The Arrowhawk Protocols

Introduction

Omega --- Methods to neutralise superhumans on a power scale potentially comparable to the Centurion and Omega.

The Scarab a.k.a. Elena Guerrero Crimson

Atlas a.k.a. Samael Natorvich Crimson

Dark Star a.k.a. Derrick Lumins Crimson

Alpha --- Methods to neutralise superhumans on a significant power level.

Avenger a.k.a. Jack Faretti Crimson-Delta

Doktor Viktor Archeville Crimson

Phantom a.k.a. Taylor Chun, Taylor Faretti Crimson-Delta

Malice a.k.a. Eric Michaels Amber

Delta --- Methods to neutralise superhumans on a manageable power level

- Currently undocumented

Null --- Methods to neutralise superhumans whose powers aren't particularly noteworthy.

Ace Danger Crimson

Unclassified --- Special

Arrowhawk a.k.a. John Fraser Azure

From the Journal of Arrowhawk

September 4th 2008

Freedom City. Home of the supers, the big city. Looks good on the outside, and to a degree it is. You can feel safe on the streets, confident that someone up in the air is flying around protecting you. Trouble is, they can't stop everything. The mob rules Southside and The Boardwalk. Quite a bit of the rest of the city too. And this mob is tenacious, they have to be to survive in a city with the Freedom League in it.

Am I insane to have pledged to take them down? I don't think so. Is it so crazy to want to save the world, or at least the city? In a way, despite the external image of the selfless protector, all heroes want to be remembered as such. We want to be more than men in masks. We want to be heroes, legends. We want people to grow up and tell their grandchildren about us.

Yet that's not why we do it. The heroics aren't for our own benefit, regardless of our initial motives. I, personally, wanted to avenge a few friends. I now try to avenge everyone ever hurt by crime. The escalation of your ideals and how you cope with them is a part of superheroics.

And that is why I came to Freedom City, to leave a legacy to the next generation. If I can bring down the mob, they can take over from me in keeping them down. I wish I didn't have to operate out of a disgusting bed and breakfast but it's easier than trying to rent a flat. Or apartment as they call them over here.

I'm going out tonight, to begin tracking down the mob. Last time I was here, I was told of a man called Lenny. He knows things, and is willing to tell them. A very useful resource, so tonight I'll look for him. Until then, I better make some more arrows.

Thoughts on Trick Arrows

Trick arrows, 'tech' arrows, 'super' arrows... why is every bow-using costumed adventurer eventually begins using high-tech arrows? They range from the simple, to smokebomb- and flashbang-tipped arrows to the complex, like my EMP and taser arrows.

My answer for their usage is because we need to stay competitive. I doubt there are any archers amongst us who rely on trick arrows to be effective, but most of us are guilty of using them as a crutch at times. Would I be a worse archer if I didn't carry smokebombs? No, but I'd be worse at crimefighting. We don't use battlesuits, we don't have superpowers and our weaponry is somewhat archaic, special arrows allow us to be true to our preferences and yet still have an arsenal of tricks we can use.

Like much of my skills, I am not a talented designer of these arrows. I have to work at it. My pride and joy are my EMP arrows. Usually an electromagnetic pulse emitter would be too bulky to fit in an arrow-tip, even the enlarged ones I use for them, but through clever and delicate work I managed to make one fit, and engineered them to activate upon impact. While they only work for a short period, with the technology intact enough afterwards to be reactivated, if I can disable a battlesuit's flight long enough to crash it to be ground, who's going to complain? I will admit, however, that they have a weak charge and definitely need improvement, but they're an achievement nonetheless. I'm not a technician, they didn't come easily to me and neither will upgrading them and keeping them affordable.

I use regular arrows though, both blunt and pointed ones. The blunt ones see heavy usage in subduing thugs, the piercing ones for when I need to hurt someone badly enough to scare them. I also have bladed arrows I only use if I absolutely have to; those things are vicious. Something I've been using occassionally are taser arrows, which work similarly to taser darts albeit with the battery built into the arrow. No cables leading back to me, which is very handy.

Tranquiliser arrows were easy to build. I'm a biologist, a strong sedative was no difficult feat. The arrows have needles for points and injection is, like the EMPs, triggered by impact. Trouble is, if I hit something solid the points shatter, and those with good constitutions can easily shrug off the drugs unless I aim for a vital spot.

On one or two occassions, I've made use of the experimental arrows I inevitably have began putting in my quiver. Explosive-tipped arrows don't fly very well due to how they're constructed, but that's not the purpose of them. What they're for is fighting superhumanly tough foes. The tip is packed with an explosive, again detonated by impact. The charge is less powerful than cheap dynamite, so I need to aim for vital spots in order to hurt the foes they're designed to face. One flaw in their design is that they are heavy, and don't even fly half as far as normal arrow. That will need to be refined.

Blast 4 (Extras: Penetrating 4, Feats: Drawbacks: Reduced Range [5 increments])

Oddly, I have never used tripwires shot by arrow. I can see their utility, I carry one in my quiver but I've never needed to use it. Maybe one day...

To close, one thing people often wonder about is how I can so quickly get the exact arrow I want from my quiver. The answer is simple: different fletching. All my arrows need to be balanced differently, and thus the fletching is different. I've trained myself to be able to distinguish between them by touch, that's all there is to it. Admittedly, it's a skill which took a long time to learn but it pays off well.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the very long questionaire we were linked to on this site. It is very long, as you can see.

Introduction

Give a two or three word description of yourself. (Describe your character's concept.)

I’m an unbelievably skilled archer who spends his nights fighting organised crime.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Arrowhawk is my ‘superhero’ name.

What is your full birth name?

John Aaron Fraser

Where do you live?

I currently live in a small bed and breakfast in Southside. It’s disgusting, but I’m not there for fun.

Why do you live there?

It’s cheap, so staying there during my time here won’t be a drain on my savings.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

Persistence. I’m not sure giving up is something I’m capable of. Even if I have to retreat in order to fight another day, I will fight another day, only more prepared that time.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

I get cocky. Sometimes I’ll overestimate my capabilities or underestimate someone else’s, and that tends not to end very well.

Physical Traits

How old are you?

I’m thirty-eight.

What is your sex?

I’m male.

What is your race?

Caucasian.

How tall are you?

I’m about six foot tall.

How much do you weigh?

One hundred and eighty-five founds.

What is your general body type, frame, bone structure, and poise?

Tall and broad-shouldered, with an average bone structure. I think I tend to move in a sort of stalk most of the time, although I do try to tone that down in my civilian identity.

What is your skin colour?

Very pale, it runs in my family.

What is your hair colour?

My hair is black, greying a little I have to admit.

What is your hairstyle?

Messy. I don’t comb my hair, and its natural state sticks up everywhere. It really is quite scruffy.

Do you have any facial hair?

Can’t abide it myself, a beard or moustache would just annoy me.

What is your eye colour?

It’s a sort of steely grey colour, maybe a little blue.

How attractive are you?

Well, that’s all in the eye of the beholder, isn’t it? I’m no George Clooney, but I like to think of myself as OK-looking.

What is your most distinguishing feature?

Definitely my hair. It’s not forgotten in a hurry.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, or birthmarks?

I’ve fought crime for eighteen years, it’s miraculous I’m not more scarred. I’ve got entry and exit wounds from bullets, scars from knives and swords, pink patches of skin from burns… the works.

What is your handedness (left/right/ambidextrous)?

I’m right-handed.

Do you resemble some currently known person?

Not that I know of, but if you want to compare me to some dishy actor than I’ll not complain.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

You can’t beat comfortable jeans and a T-shirt. I follow the same philosophy with my Arrowhawk costume, a spandex suit is just going to get all sweaty. Loose trousers and a long-sleeved top are a lot more practical.

Do you wear makeup?

No way, this male grooming thing is just weird.

What sort of vocal tone do you have?

My voice isn’t too deep, but I make it a little gruffer and deeper in the Arrowhawk persona. Yet another way to obscure my identity.

History

Where is your homeland?

I was born in Scotland, the city of Aberdeen to be exact.

Are you aware of its history?

I know some basic history, but I wouldn’t call myself an expert by any means.

Are you patriotic or a social outcast?

Well, that’s a bit of an odd question, you can be a patriotic outcast, but I can’t think of myself as a patriot. The whole ‘my country, right or wrong’ thing is just amoral in my opinion. I’m not saying I’m not proud to be a Scotsman, I’m just not what I’d call patriotic.

What is your opinion of home?

I miss it. I’ve not been back there for a prolonged period in years, and doubt I will for a good few years yet. It’s a nice place, with fresh sea air and friendly people.

Where is your home town?

Aberdeen is a coastal city in the Northeast of the country.

Are your real reasons for becoming an adventurer different from what you tell others?

Not especially. If someone asked me, I’d tell them it was because my friends were murdered, but it’s not a conversation topic I’d really feel comfortable with.

How far would you go to keep such secrets from being revealed? What would you do if the truth became known?

It’s not secret, so not very far. That said, I can’t let specifics get out for fear of my identity being deduced that way.

What do you fear would occur if the truth became known?

The exact details of why I became Arrowhawk would lead to a list of survivors, and by linking the known locations of Arrowhawk and of John Fraser my secret identity would be exposed. But, like I said, I wouldn’t let the exact details loose.

Do you have any particularly high or low ability scores?

I’m very dextrous, and I’m not in bad physical shape in other areas either.

How have these scores affected your life so far?

I have a very physical vocation, and being nimble allows me to use stealth and evasion with enough proficiency to avoid being killed.

What about your race, growing up were you in the majority or a minority?

In the majority, minority groups have only really grown in Scotland in recent years if I’m correct.

Did this impact your outlook in any way?

Not especially, I’ve always just taken people by deed, not appearance.

How do you feel about other races?

I judge by person, not by race. I’d people to take my behaviour as typical of the Scottish people, so I don’t make sweeping statements about races as a whole.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

I remember my grandmother dying. It was traumatic because we were close, you know? She tried to raise me as a good person, and I hope I made her proud in that regard.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

I remember seeing a man getting mugged, and since I was a kid, I couldn’t help him. I just couldn’t, and to my young self I just decided to try to be one of the ‘goodies’, not the ‘baddies’. That said, I doubt many kids set out to be criminals from the age I was at, so does that really count?

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

I remember trying to jump a ramp on a bicycle and just falling off of it and cracking my head open on the concrete. Then, after it healed, I went out and jumped the same ramp again, breaking my wrist.

Which toys from your childhood have you kept?

Not any of them.

Why? What do they mean to you? If you didn't keep any, why not? What did you do to them all?

I move around too much to keep stuff like that. They were in good nick, so I gave them to a charity shop so somebody else could enjoy them.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Nope. The whole ‘vigilante with a dark secret in his past’ thing is simply not as common as the media try to make it seem it is.

Are you who you claim to be?

No. I am actually… nah, I’m just who I’ve always claimed to be. Someone trying to just be a good person.

Do you have any sort of criminal record?

No, as John Fraser has never done anything to attract attention to himself and Arrowhawk is too good to be caught, if you’ll forgive me sounding cocky.

How do you view the heroes/legends of your country?

I see them like I see all the heroes world-wide, just people who have the ability to make a difference and go out and do so. I can’t see any other way to describe them, really.

Family

Who were your parents?

Richard and Mary Fraser, an electrician and a teacher respectively.

Were you raised by them? If not, then why didn't they and who did raise you?

Yeah, I was raised by them.

What was their standing in the community?

Well, they were pretty well-known in our neighbourhood and well-liked.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

I lived in the same area of Aberdeen for all of my childhood, only moving away to go to university.

How did you get along with their parents?

I got along fairly well, although towards the end of their lives we’d drifted apart. They knew of Arrowhawk, they disapproved of me doing it and thought I’d end up getting myself killed.

How would your parents describe you? Answer this in the voice of your mother, then in your father's.

“Well, our John’s always been a good lad, sticking in at school and not getting in fights. Then he went off and starts worrying me sick with his antics, crawling over rooftops with a bow and arrow.â€Â

“Bit of a damn fool, he is. He’s my son, and I love him, but what he’s doing can’t end well for him. He’s either going to get his stupid self killed, or alienate everyone around him.â€Â

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what were their names? How did you get along with each of your siblings?

I never had any brothers or sisters.

What was your birth position in the family?

Like I said, I’m an only child.

List all current knowledge of family locations, spouses, children, birth dates, schooling, and any important incidents that only you and they might remember.

My mother was born on the 5th April 1940, and died in 2000 of cancer. My father was born in August 1939 and died 3 years ago simply of old age. Any other relatives I’ve lost contact with due to my travelling around.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

Estranged, definitely. I’m not sure if any surviving relatives know that I’m alive, because I don’t know if any of them are.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

Not now. I used to love my grandmother more than anyone else in the world, but that was a long time ago.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

No.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)?

I’m definitely the black sheep of the family, travelling around the country like that and not keeping in touch.

If so, who are they and how did they "gain" the position?

Being Arrowhawk led to it, so I suppose my dad wasn’t wrong about alienating myself from everyone after all.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor?

Not to my knowledge, I never kept up with family history.

Do you ever want to have a family of your own someday?

I’d love to settle down and have a family, I really would. But I’m Arrowhawk, and I can’t settle down while there’s still mobsters terrorising people in this world.

Would anything change your mind on this issue and if so, what?

Nothing. I’d only quit when I was too old to keep fighting, and by then it’s too late to have a family.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

It may sound cliched, but someone smart and funny, who likes who I really am, not the mask I put up to keep John and Arrowhawk separate. And an Irish accent is always something I like on a girl.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, who and what are they like?

I move around too much, and maybe deliberately keep people away so who I am doesn’t come back to bite them in the arse.

Do you currently have a best friend whom you would protect with your reputation or your life?

No, I don’t.

Do you have any bitter enemies?

I have a lot of enemies. I spend my nights deliberately riling up mob bosses enough so that they get sloppy and I can exploit their mistakes.

If so, who are they, what are they like, and what is the history of their feud with you?

Any mob boss who I cross becomes my enemy and fast. They tend to be ruthless, and will do anything to have me dead, and these feuds usually start with me taking down one of their operations.

Have you defeated them before?

Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh… it would take a long while to list all the cities where I've crippled their organised crime, although I admit I’ve never been able to destroy it utterly.

How might these enemies seek to discomfit you in the future?

Bullets usually are their methods. After all, Arrowhawk has no civilian life of his own to be threatened, John Fraser does and the mob don’t know him.

Which person(s) or group(s) are you most loyal to?

Nobody. I’ve never been into these whole ‘super-teams’ because it takes an extreme personality to do what we do.

Who is your most trusted ally?

I’ve got a bit of a friendly rivalry with the current Bowman. We try to outdo each other, definitely, but if push comes to shove I see enough of me in him to trust him utterly. This kind of shows my policy on getting close to friends and allies as until now I was barely in Freedom City.

Who do you trust, in general?

Superheroes. We’re all fighting the same cause, albeit with different methods, and if a cape is in trouble, there are few who won’t help out in a flash.

Who do you despise and why?

The mob. They lie, steal, intimidate and get away with it and it sickens me.

Name seven things you hate in others.

Bullying, stealing, lying, delusions of grandeur, racism or intolerance in any way… I also don’t like it when people jump queues or bite their nails.

Is your image consistent?

My costume is pretty much the same every time I don it, because I like it and it gets the job done.

Do you deliberately present yourself differently in different situations, and how?

In my civilian identity, I keep low key, not standing out or having a forceful personality. As Arrowhawk, I do the opposite, striving to excel at everything and being outgoing and forceful in my dealings with people.

What would you die for?

Someone else’s life. I’d willingly die if it meant another human being had a shot at living.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

There was an incident once with a mobster who’d been vampirised. He was sent after me, and overpowered me with brute force, and what he did to me has left me physically scarred for life. I managed to finally destroy him, but I was out of commission for several weeks due to my injuries. The brutality still sickens me.

What is your general reaction to an attractive member of the opposite sex who lets you know they are available?

Indifference. I spend my days training or working, and my nights as Arrowhawk, and that’s just not fair to anyone else.

How do you get along with others of the same adventuring class?

I like other street-level heroes, they seem to all be down to earth, diligent people trying to make small differences in a neighbourhood. It’s hard not to respect that attitude.

Have you lost any loves?

There was a girl, Sarah, back in University. We were really close, but as I trained to become who I am now, we drifted apart. I lost her the night I became Arrowhawk, and I regret it.

How did you handle the situation (short & long term)?

Short-term, I tried to blot it out. Long-term, it’s just a part of my history. I can’t alter the past, but I can learn from it.

Who would miss you should you go missing?

Nobody, I don’t tend to get close to anybody out there. Which is a little sad, but I think it’s necessary.

How close are you to your adventuring companions?

I work alone.

What do they not know about you?

Well, I don’t give out my secret identity to anyone I end up working with.

Are you a member of any house, guild, organisation, or church? What is your level of involvement?

I’ve got involved at charity events, but never seriously been a part of an organisation.

Personality & Beliefs

Do you, or did you, have any role models?

I always looked up to my father, he was a well-liked, hard-working person respected in the community.

Do you have any heroes or idols, either contemporary or from legend?

This is a little corny, but the Centurion. He embodies the glossy side of the superhero coin, flying above us all and striving to save the world openly and without fear. I work on the underside, stalking the night to fight thugs in alleyways, so I look up to people like him. The Raven is also someone I admire and I’d love to meet her.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

No, I guess I’m lucky that way.

When did you decide to become an adventurer?

One day, my friends were murdered by mob loan sharks. The police were too scared to retaliate against the mob, so I decided to take revenge and it all escalated beyond this one act of vengeance. This was eighteen years ago, and I've been travelling around fighting the mob ever since.

Why have you chosen to risk your life as a career?

Somebody has to, but nobody should be made to. You couldn’t tell any man off the street to do what I do nor should you do it, but when it all hits the fan then somebody has to stand up and fight.

What do you expect to get out of being an adventurer? What, if anything, would make you stop adventuring?

I don’t think it’s about what I want any more. It never really was. I’ll stop when organised crime everywhere has been crippled, and I know deep down it can’t be done in my lifetime. So, I don’t think I can stop until I’m too old to carry on.

Do you have any dreams or ambitions? If not, why?

Winning this unwinnable war would be nice, it really would. But it isn’t going to happen. That doesn’t stop me from hoping it will.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

I want to have made serious headway on the main mob families in Freedom City, to really have them on the ropes and exploit every mistake they make.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

I’ll be fifty-eight, ready to retire or already having retired from the trade. I hope to have someone to retire with, be it friends or family.

If these goals seem at odds with each other, or with your dreams, how do you reconcile the differences?

I can’t. My goals are unreachable, I simply can’t have friends and family and at the same time take down the mob. I know it can’t be done, yet I won’t back down. Reconciling that fact was easy.

Do you have any great rational or irrational fears or phobias? If so, what are the origins of, or reasons behind them?

Nope, no phobias here.

How do you react when this fear manifests itself?

Well, I don’t have one, do I?

What are your attitudes regarding material wealth?

On the one hand, being filthy rich would have its benefits as I wouldn’t have to fund all these arrows. But then again, other than that it’d just go unspent because I don’t like to throw money around like that.

Are you miserly with your share of the wealth, or do you spend it freely?

Most of my income goes on maintaining my bow and constructing more arrows in order to fight crime.

Do you see wealth as a mark of success, or just as a means to an end?

It’s a means to an end.

How do you generally treat others?

I treat people with respect in the hope they’ll return the favour.

Do you trust easily (perhaps too easily) or not?

Nobody knows my secret identity, not one soul. That’s pretty rare for a superhero, and I guess it sums me up. Like I’ve said repeatedly, I don’t get close to people.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)?

Arrowhawk is definitely outgoing, you have to be to do what I do. John Fraser on the other hand is deliberately introverted to avoid attracting the attention of people.

Are you a humble soul or blusteringly proud?

I like to think I’m modest. I don’t think I brag, do I? I hope not, it’s not how I’d like to come across.

What habits do you find most annoying in friends?

Definitely borrowing money but not repaying it. I’m not miserly with money, but it’s a matter of trust, you shouldn’t have to chase people up for money. That said, I haven’t had friends to lend money to for a while, so that’s maybe a moot point.

What are your most annoying habits?

I’m guilty of assuming people to live to my standards. It annoys a lot of people.

Is there any race, creed, alignment, religion, class, profession, political viewpoint, or the like against which you are strongly prejudiced, and why?

The right to bear arms may give civilians ‘protection’, but lets any thug go buy a handgun. I’ve been shot a lot of times, I would not fire a bullet into another human being. I’ve seen what they do.

What is your favourite food?

A nice fried breakfast, with black pudding, sausage slice, beans, toast… the works. Fantastic.

What is your favourite drink?

Irn Bru, but it’s illegal in the US for some reason. The same country who allows McDonald’s bans the most delicious soft drink on the planet.

What is your favourite treat (dessert)?

I do like some nice apple pie.

Do you favour a particular cuisine?

Not especially, I quite like most different types of food.

Do you savour the tastes when eating or "wolf down" your food?

Wolf down, unfortunately.

Do you like food mild or heavily spiced?

Mildly spiced is nice, I’m not a huge fan of food that’s stupidly hot.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

No, I’m not too fussy an eater really.

What are your favourite colour(s)?

I like blue and green.

Is there any colour that you dislike?

Pink.

Do you have a favourite (or hated) song, type of music, or instrument?

I like alternative rock and some metal, particularly R.E.M. ‘Living Well is the Best Revenge’ off their latest album was really good.

If you have a favourite scent, what is it?

The smell of fresh air you get out in the countryside.

What is your favourite type of animal?

I like cats.

Are you allergic to any kinds of animals?

Not that I know of.

Is there anything that enrages you?

Violence enrages me, ironic considering I encounter it nearly every night.

Is there anything which embarrasses you?

Call me proud, but missing with a shot or failing to take someone out with it. I don’t like to feel like I’m not good enough.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I do like a warm bed for the night, but other than that I can go without.

Do you have a patron deity?

No, I’m an agnostic.

Are you devout or impious?

I count as impious, definitely.

Do you actively worship and proselytize or do you simply pay lip service?

I’m not an active agnostic, I don’t read books and papers on the subject and don’t talk about my personal beliefs to people.

What lengths would you go to defend your faith?

Not very far, life’s too short and who can say if I’m right or wrong?

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

No, I developed my beliefs myself based on the things I’ve seen over the years.

Do you belong to a dominant church, or an independent church, cult, or sect (and is the group accepted, frowned upon, or considered heretics)?

I’m not in any formal agnostic organisation, think-tank or whatever it is they do. Or informal for that matter.

Will you kill?

If I have to, and I mean that if I’ve tried every other option and it didn’t work, then I will kill.

When did you decide (or learn) that you would?

There was a ‘perfect assassin’ sent to kill me. They knew my no-killing rule, so sent someone who regenerated any non-fatal injury in a heartbeat. Just to stay alive, I shot him through the head with a bladed arrow.

When do you consider it okay to kill (under what circumstances)?

If nothing else will work, if there is simply no alternative. That is the only time killing should be done.

When do you consider it wrong to kill (under what circumstances)?

When there is an alternative, even the most far-fetched chance there is, you take it because killing is wrong.

What would you do if someone else attempted to (or successfully did) kill under your "wrong" circumstances, what would be your reaction?

I would subdue them.

What if it were your enemy?

I’d subdue them, like I said. I follow my own code, and will stop others killing even if they feel it’s acceptable.

What if it were your friend?

As above, I don’t do double standards.

What if the opponent were not in control of their own actions (under duress, charmed, dominated, possessed)?

That’s why I seek to subdue, so I can call people to account and see if circumstances made it unavoidable.

What would you do if something were stolen from you?

Get it back through investigation and stealth.

What would you do if you were badly insulted publicly?

Take it. I work in the shadows secretly, who needs a public persona?

What would you do if a good friend or relative were killed by means other than natural death?

Hunt the murderers down and have him locked up with a fair trial. I’d rather see them rot in jail than become a killer.

What is the one task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Kill a defenceless person. I don’t care what they’ve done in the past, right now they can’t fight back and it’s disgusting to take them down if it can be avoided.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Cold-blooded murder. Killing someone in warm blood can be justified, but planning out a kill is wrong. Just wrong.

How do you feel about government (rulers) in general? Why do you feel that way?

Suspicious. They claim to represent the people, but good intentions or not that never works out properly. There are good men in them, but also very bad men.

Do you support the current government of your homeland?

I’m not too up to date sadly, I don’t keep up with politics.

If so, how far are you willing to go to defend the government? If not, do you actively oppose it?

I champion people, not government. I don’t get involved with it, either defending or fighting against it.

What form of government do you believe is the best (democracy, monarchy, anarchy, aristocratic rule, oligarchy, matriarchy) and why?

Democracy. Everyone gets a say, it’s the fairest way.

Do you have any unusual habits or dominant personality traits that are evident to others?

I think too much, watching the surroundings and keeping escape routes open.

If so, describe them and how you acquired them, as well as when they might be more noticeable and what causes them.

I’ve been a crimefighter for nearly two decades, you acquire a habit of thinking about escape routes and plans.

Do you have any unusual or nervous mannerisms, such as when talking, thinking, afraid, under stress, or when embarrassed?

Nope.

What is your most treasured possession?

My bow. It’s kept me alive for all these years, I owe it a lot.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what 5 things would you do in those remaining hours?

1. Have a genuine Scottish fry-up, none of your cheap rubbish.

2. Have a good sleep finally, I haven’t had enough in eighteen years so I’d like to have a proper rest and wake up refreshed for once.

3. Ride my motorcycle around the city

4. Drink some good quality whisky.

5. Stand with my costume on but my mask off and wait for the end.

Career & Training

Where and how were you educated?

I graduated with honours in Biology from Aberdeen University.

Who trained you in your adventuring class(es)?

I learned some martial arts from a couple of instructors in Scotland, but largely I’m self-taught.

What was your relationship with your teacher(s)/mentor(s)?

Business-like. I went to learn and improve, not to get all chummy.

Is this person or institution still in existence?

My instructors, I’m unsure of them. Aberdeen University, however, still thrives.

Were you a prize student or did you just barely pass?

I’m a good scientist even now, so back then when I wasn’t a bit rusty I was probably an excellent student.

Look at your skills. How did you acquire them (especially the unusual ones)?

Through practice and intuition. All my skills are essential to living and fighting on the streets, and I learned them through hard graft, trial and error, especially the error part. I wasn’t always as good as I am now; we were all greenhorns once.

Have you ever done anything else for a living?

Apart from laboratory work, I did a number of student jobs in my university years. Thus, I’m pretty good behind a delicatessen counter.

How do you function in combat (maneuvers, weaknesses)?

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

No, and that’s not the point. Recognition is nice, but your job is to do a thankless task and do it well.

Is there anything that you don't currently know how to do that you wish you could?

Base jumping looks like a useful skill but I’ve never tried it.

Are you envious of others who can do such things in a good-natured way or are you sullen and morose about it?

Hey, it looks awesome, why be jealous of someone trying it and enjoying it?

Lifestyle & Hobbies

When not adventuring, what is your normal daily routine?

If I’m not holding down a job, I sleep all morning to recover from the night before, then have breakfast and apply any required bandages, salves, aspirin etc etc.

How do you feel and react when this routine is interrupted for some reason?

I don’t care, if I’m honest. I just fill in my days in order to go out at night.

What are your hobbies when you are not adventuring or training?

I read books and ride my bike around town.

What do you do for relaxation? What things do you do for enjoyment? What interests do you have?

I do genuinely enjoy archery, not just for crime-fighting but for relaxation. Trouble is, John Fraser cannot be seen to be as good as Arrowhawk is. I also like riding my motorcycle, jogging, weight training… generally, I like to keep fit.

How do you normally dress when not in your adventuring gear?

I wear jeans and t-shirts, but keep my adventuring gear on underneath. A quick costume change in always useful.

What do you normally wear in bed at home?

I sleep in pyjamas, in case I need to move fast at night. No use being nude in a crisis.

What do you normally wear in bed while adventuring?

If I need to sleep on duty, the mask and costume stay on at all times. My identity stays secret.

Do you wear any identifiable jewelry?

It gets caught in things, and that’s impractical, so no.

Where do you normally put your weapons, magic items, or other valuables when you are sleeping?

Under my pillow, head or whatever for easy access. I like to be ready.

What morning or evening routines do you normally have?

In the morning, I always have breakfast. At night, I wait for night to fall so I can go out and patrol.

Do these change when you are adventuring?

The first often gets disrupted because it’s hard to grab a meal while on duty. The latter isn’t interrupted because adventuring is my evening routine anyway.

Travel: how do you get around locally?

By motorcycle, by grapple line, or on foot.

Do you have a Last Will and Testament?

A very basic one.

What does it say?

It gives all my savings to various charities, shelters and not for profit organisations.

Miscellaneous

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

I want to be remembered as the man who didn’t give an inch against the scum of the world, the man who when faced with a powerful man everyone moved out of the way of to avoid his wrath, simply stood there. Stood there and told him ‘No,’ when everyone else was unable to or too scared to do it.

What kind of threat do you present to the public?

I ignore the law, acting as a vigilante upholding a set of standards not everyone holds. Fortunately for them, I act in their interest, but I do undermine the laws of society more than they really should be.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

Not really. I’ve got scars, but nothing really distinctive, and nobody is close enough to me to be able to recognise the pattern.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

‘John, you need to ease up. The world can’t be saved alone, no matter how hard you try. Look at your personal life, or rather, your utter lack of one. It’s a wonder you’ve not become the mask and still regard yourself as John, because John Fraser barely exists except as a means to facilitate Arrowhawk. Take a break, man, before you get hurt even worse than you are now.’

• 10 months later...

From the Journal of Arrowhawk

Feb 4th, 2009

Odd things happened tonight. My investigations led to me to a meeting of several superbeings. Joining them, we tried to disrput a ritual, but it went horribly wrong and demons and vampires got involved. Destroying the two vampires personally, a team was formed. I declined to formally join, not wishing to be stupid enough to reveal my identity to people I barely knew. However, I left a number so they could contact me in an emergency.

A dossier must be prepared on the following individuals:

Avenger

Hellbound

Dark Star

'Divine'

The new Scarab

'Knight' (stupid name, obviously made up on the spot)

March 22nd, 2009

Bad things happen, but rarely as bad as this. Today, I saw a news report involving a superpowered woman trashing cars in the middle of town. Biking to the scene, I engaged her in combat, soon to be joined by the Spartan, who I have previously fought alongside. However, soon a man calling himself Captain Knieval and a battlesuited man known as Malice engaged us for their motives. I was defeated, and woke up in a dumpster.

With my EMP arrows stolen. That technology, in the hands of one able to build a power armour? Terrifying. I must find a way to recover and stop him.

March 23rd, 2009

Better news. Attending a lecture by the esteemed Doktor Archeville, Knieval struck to prove himself in some manly display. He also seems to dislike metahumans. Ineivtably, this led to the Doktor, myself, and Dark Star chasing him down. I shot him down onto the back of a car and apprehended him.

• 8 months later...

September 16th 2009

I destroyed the Knights of Freedom.

My attempt to recover my EMP arrows from Malice proved disastrous. A brief lapse... not lapse, utter disregard for judgement wiped out a Riverside street. And killed two people.

Scarab covered it up. Dark Star, naive as always, stuck to his principles and ultimately called a Knights meeting. His refusal to compromise his beliefs led to much arguing. And then we disbanded.

And it's my fault. We could have changed the world. And I wrecked it. So, I need to do the only thing I can do... continue my mission. Attempt to atone.

(PS: No guilt felt towards Ace Danger. Arrogant prick.)

CLASSIFICATION: CRIMSON

--- No unauthorised access.

--- One copy, and one copy only to be kept in undisclosed storage location.

--- Authorised access comes with knowledge of storage location, and access to key. Information should not be taken from storage location.

OMEGA-CLASS SUPERHUMAN DISPOSAL

--- Methods to neutralise superhumans on a power scale potentially comparable to the Centurion and Omega.

The Scarab II

Elena Guerrero

The Scarab is a world-class telekinetic, telepath, precognitive and clairvoyant. Elena Guerrero is a multi-millionaire, having clawed her way up from Mexican dirt farmer to powerful legal consultant. Unlike her predecessor, she is not a Freedom League member (at least publically).

Subject will predict assassination attempt, either by precognition or sensing the assassin's mind nearby. This makes her a powerful foe in that she has phenomenal power and is nearly impossible to catch without her being able to use it. Thus, an all-out approach is preferable. Get in fast, attack, and just pray it works or you lose.

Recommended method: If she can't think, her ability to use mental powers may be impaired heavily. A neural function-disrupting chemical may prove effective:

Confuse 7 (LSD arrow, Extras: Alternate Save - Fortitude) [7pp]

This one is simple and effective. It uses a simple LSD-like compound to induce a drugged state, rendering actions irrational.

Drain Wisdom 7 (disruptor chemical, Extras: Ranged, Feats: Slow Fade 1) [15pp]

Nullify Psychic Powers 7 (neutraliser chemical, may or may not have Randomise extra) [14pp]

These arrows are more conventional neutral disruptors. The first design simply kills brain cells temporarily. This impairs judgement and self-control considerably. The latter induces a significant headache or migraine, making it hard to muster focus to use, or in a slight variation on the chemical compound, control psychic powers. The disruptor followed by the neutraliser could prove wise, given the Scarab's powerful will.

Addendum: Whether she knows of this plan is unknown, and indeed, the other plans within my mind may well have been compromised secretly. No confrontation has occured on this issue.

--- Authorised access comes with knowledge of storage location, and access to key. Information should not be taken from storage location.

--- Methods to neutralise superhumans on a power scale potentially comparable to the Centurion and Omega.

Atlas

Samael Natorvich

Atlas is quite possibly the most physically powerful superhuman on Earth. Samael Natorvich is a a large red man, with a Russian accent. Unfortunately, this distinctive appearance is counteracted by his shapeshifting powers, letting him assume new forms at the price of some of his might.

Taking on this foe physically is stupid under most circumstances. He is immensely strong and durable. Potent explosives might injure him, but his healing factor means these injuries won't last. Super MAX armour, the most advanced 'mainstream' anti-super technology, may not hurt him at all. While these protocols are written from a non-superpowered viewpoint, the approach to this is simple: get someone else on the Omega scale, like the Scarab or Dark Star. Any other method of stopping Atlas will be tremendously costly.

Recommended method: Should no superpowered aid be available, these plans are last-ditch efforts.

--- High-powered explosives, detonated constantly. If they succeed in injuring him, they must continue to do so in order to prevent him simply healing it away. If he looks dead, that's no guarantee. Until there is nothing left, keep throwing any firepower you can muster at him.

--- Snares. A strong enough filament may slow him down while he has to pause to break free. However, one strong enough to hold him permanently is highly unlikely.

--- Artillery. Airstrikes might be able to injure Atlas, although until evidence presents itself, consider this unproven. Nuclear weaponry could work, although again, this is unproven (and extremely undesirable)

Addendum: It's with regret I add Samael to my protocols. I liked him when I met him briefly at Avenger and Phantom's wedding. However, he is a terrifyingly powerful man, and someone has to account for this.

Dark Star

Derrick Lumins

If Atlas is the most physically powerful superhuman on Earth, Dark Star is the most powerful. Made of energy, with incredible gravity attacks at his disposal, to my knowledge he has rarely been challenged, let alone defeated.

Dark Star is nigh-unstoppable by conventional means, attacks phasing through his energy form, and anything not phasing simply getting stopped by his forcefields. He has one known weakness: he has a human form where he can be attacked. Catching him unaware before he can transform should prove effective. Should he go rogue, however, the odds of him returning to human form are slim.

Recommended method: In human form, take out before he can transform. This should be a simple process. In energy form? I have had no success in thinking of a way to slow him down.

Addendum: Apparently Derrick Lumins has a much less powerful significant other. This could prove a weakness.

Dark Star is also a highly principled, honest man. Abuse of his powers is highly unlikely.

CLASSIFICATION: CRIMSON-DELTA

--- Contains much detail on personal life. Arrowhawk access only, bar Omega-class crisis.

ALPHA-CLASS SUPERHUMAN DISPOSAL

--- Methods to neutralise superhumans on a significant power level.

Avenger

Jack Faretti

Avenger masquerades as a run-of-the-mill vigilante. Secretly, he is the most dangerously strong vampire active in Freedom City. He possesses the typical powers of strength, turning into mist, resistance to non-magical attacks, and so forth. Like Dracula, he does not die in sunlight, simply only losing most of his powers. He is a member of the Midnighters team, along with his wife Phantom.

Despite his powers, he possesses several weaknesses. Experience has proven that, despite the traditional vulnerabilities to silver and holy weaponry, traditional explosives will work. Vampires are highly resistant to the attack still, but can be destroyed without forward planning for the eventuality. The most obvious flaw to his powers is the loss of them in daylight.

WARNING: Even powerless, Avenger is still immensely strong, stealthy and highly dangerous. Daylight levels the playing field, it does not imply an easy defeat. In addition, his undead state means chemicals and the like don't affect him. He's already dead, he has no metabolism to process drugs through.

Recommended method: Catching him in daylight makes this task easier. Carrying silver or blessed weaponry is also advised. Also, hunting him down is the only method, in a protracted fight he has the stealth advantage sans powers, and is nigh-undetectable with them. He can be stopped in a straight fight, as mentioned, although this should be a last resort. Approach with caution, especially if his wife is around (see below).

Personal Life: Jack Faretti is married to Taylor Chun (alias Phantom). Unlike many spouses, as an Alpha-level magus, she is not a potential weakness. If anything, it's the reverse. Address is given at end of file.

They seem to deeply care for one another, and even if a hostage situation is risky, a trap where they think one exists may work.

Jack is also sort of legally dead, although that status is decidedly unclear after Elena Guerrero's aid. This could be exploited, although unreliably. Even so, as a businessman he is not without wealth and resources.

CLASSIFICATION: CRIMSON-DELTA

--- Contains much detail on personal life. Arrowhawk access only, bar Omega-class crisis.

Phantom

Taylor Faretti/Taylor Chun

Phantom is a powerful magic-user active in Freedom City, and apparently other dimensions. In addition to powerful magical attacks, she can go insubstantial making physical combat nearly impossible. Notable spells include a great prowess in telekinesis, enough to effortlessly smash Avenger (no weakling himself) into a wall.

Note that she is not insubstantial constantly, so a similar approach to Dark Star might work. Without her magic active, Taylor is not significantly over human level in her attributes.

Recommended method: Taylor can easily phase bullets through her, and summon incredible offensive magics. A direct confrontation is not one easily won, so taking her out quickly prior to her casting spells is desirable. She seems not to use incantations, so unconsciousness is the only guaranteed preventative measure.

Personal Life: Jack Faretti (Avenger) is married to Taylor Chun. Unlike many spouses, he's a powerful vampire and thus not an exploitable weakness. They currently live together, at the below address. It is likely their home is warded by spells, and thus a poor choice of ambush point.

They seem to deeply care for one another, and even if a hostage situation is risky, a trap where they think one exists may work. Other family ties include family members at local hospitals. Since Avenger is a strong foe, these may be a weakness where he is not. Addresses and hospitals are given below.

NULL-CLASS SUPERHUMAN DISPOSAL

--- Methods to neutralise superhumans whose powers aren't particularly noteworthy.

Ace Danger

Public identity

Ace Danger is a member of the famous Danger family, and an immortal nearing his first century while appearing no more than twenty. Despite this, his skills and physical prowess are no different from non-powered heroes like the Raven and Bowman. This makes him especially vulnerable to attack, despite his immortality guaranteeing his survival upon his inevitable resurrection. He is ex-Air Force and was honourably discharged from AEGIS for "Behavior Unbecoming Of An Officer".

Ace is smart, charming and a skilled martial artist. However, he lacks much ranged prowess and can be killed from range (with minimal guilt, as he will resurrect shortly after.

Recommended method: Typical weapons and armaments can defeat Ace, although only wielded by those with significant skill. Nonetheless, he does not possess combat skills expected from one of his age (compared to the much younger Raven and Bowman) and, while formidable, is on a par with that level of superhero.

Killing him is not permanent, so quick disposal of his corpse is recommended to prevent his resurrection. Encasement in concrete should work well for this purpose. A less lethal method could easily be imprisonment, as he lacks the superpowers necessary for escape. Precautions should include:

--- not letting guards of any gender near him for prolonged periods, especially if he shows flirting behaviour

--- leaving his body, regardless of whether he looks dead or not. It may be a trick

--- one method of entry or exit, including vents and the like. Not as skilled as he should be, he nonetheless could easily know methods of escape artistry

Addendum: Ace possesses much pride, narcissism and self-righteousness. As undesirable traits, they are easily exploitable as they can lead to rash decisions with consequences quickly resulting in his defeat.

CLASSIFICATION: AZURE

--- To be given to one trusted individual, as yet undetermined

UNCLASSIFIED

Arrowhawk

John Fraser

Arrowhawk a.k.a John Fraser, aged 39. Resident of a Southside boarding house.

Skills:

--- Master archer (in top three on planet)

--- Master infiltrator

--- Skilled biochemist (Masters Degree, Aberdeen University 1994)

--- Skilled mechanic and motorcycle rider

Armanents:

--- composite bow of own design

--- trick arrows of innumerable design, although favours blunt arrows

--- collapsible metal staff

--- hood, domino mask, cape and military-grade body armour

Recommended method: Arrowhawk is hyper-aware, and thus likely to spot an ambush. However, his preference to work alone means overwhelming force will work. His effectiveness is greatly impacted without his bow, and thus disarming him should be priority one. After that, sufficient force will easily bring him low.

As a master of stealth, it is possible he may try to escape unseen. This should be prevented by some means, like cutting off exits, planting tracers or even a paintball gun firing fluorescent paints. In a last-ditch effort, he may run. Due to injury, he cannot run great distances without being forced to limp, and a physically fit man will easily catch him in this hindered state.

Once captured, light cell well, minimise contact with guards and leave one entry and exit point, even if vents must be removed to facilitate this.

Addendum: Arrowhawk is likely to fight back rather than resist. Note, as the author of these protocols, the tactics above may be complicated by his analysis of a given opponent and thus methods of defeating them.

• 2 weeks later...

CLASSIFICATION: AMBER

--- Authorised access comes with knowledge of storage location, and access to key. Information should not be taken from storage location unless permission obtained from Arrowhawk, or another Azure-clearance individual

Malice

Eric Michaels

Eric Michaels, former head of Darts Inc. A highly intelligent weapons developer, his irrational hate of superhumans led him to make his powered armour to prove superhumans weren't needed. The suit is strong, can fly, is highly resistant to damage and has a huge array of weapons systems. Michaels' HQ was destroyed by Arrowhawk in an incident in Riverside, a process which also cost him his arm.

While as powerful as most superhumans, and indeed more powerful than most, Malice is nonetheless simply an intelligent human outside his suit. Catching his unarmoured would greatly aid in his capture, although alertness is advised given he has escaped prison before.

Recommended method: Outside of the armour, he can be subdued as easily as another human being. In the armour, he is stronger, faster and much tougher. Explosives can pierce the armour, and an EMP could theoretically disable it. However, my last attempt to do so failed, so this method is unconfirmed.

Personal Life: Eric's personal life was ruined following his outing as Malice. His hatred of metahumans apparently stems from the loss of his father to crossfire in a superhuman battle.

Note: Anyone with clearance to use protocols receives this notice.

Introduction to Protocols

These files are not a plot for the destruction of Freedom City superheroes. Nor is it a declaration that I think superhumans will go rogue. Nonetheless, it can happen, and has happened before. These plans are in place to cover that eventuality.

Access to files is strictly limited, and no matter your clearance, your own file (and those of spouses and relatives) is verboten. No exceptions.

The superhuman classification levels

Omega --- Methods to neutralise superhumans on a power scale potentially comparable to the Centurion and Omega.

- This category is those worst-case scenarios. Should superheroes in this category go rogue, it will be a crisis, and should a supervillain appear at this level, fatality probability is 99.999% at lowest.

Alpha --- Methods to neutralise superhumans on a significant power level.

- These superhumans are still shy of Omega-level, although many could reach that level of threat.

Delta --- Methods to neutralise superhumans on a manageable power level

- These superhumans, while by no means not worth noting, are simply not that powerful. While taking them down won't be easy, it's still notably less risky than Alpha-level threats.

Null --- Methods to neutralise superhumans whose powers aren't particularly noteworthy.

- Included for completeness only, these files shouldn't really be required by the majority. These Null-class individuals are entirely manageable.

Classification scale

Azure: Only one person, left unidentified, shall ever gain access to these. They detail how to neutralise me and any particularly close associates.

Crimson: Generally for superheroes, this classification is secure enough that one copy exists, and may not be removed from it's secure area. Crimson-Delta is a sub-category indicating it contains details on a hero's personal life. Unless an Omega-grade incident occurs, access is Arrowhawk only.

Amber: Generally reserved for supervillains, these files are not as heavily restricted. Nonetheless, follow instructions on file.

If it becomes known to you that the files are compromised, destroy then seek Arrowhawk or (if known to you), the Azure-cleared individual. These files should not reach the hands of one who'd abuse them in any circumstances.

• 6 months later...

The British Files

These are a collection of abridged dossiers on the various superheroes of the United Kingdom, The Republic of Ireland and the Isle of Man.

Sherwood III

James Arkwright

The Sherwood legacy actually leads back to the 15th century, and to a man known to popular culture as Robin Hood. While this article focuses on his successors down the years, rather than the myth surrounding the man himself, one thing should be made clear: Robin Hood means Red Hood, not Green Hat.

The first Sherwood, however, not only took inspiration from Robin Hood, but from an American hero: the first Bowman. I am not personally aware of the first Sherwood's identity, although I do know he was first seen in Nottingham in early 1950. Based on eye witness accounts of his mannerisms and methodology, it is believed he was possibly an ex-soldier, fresh out of the Second World War. He was a very simplistic archer compared to many superheroic users of the longbow. Using only basic pointed and blunted arrows to fight crime the only known use of trick arrows he ever exhibited was to tie grapnels to high places, or soaked in alcohol and set alight. His costume was also very functional, consisting of simply green fatigues (in the traditional lincoln green), and a red hood allegedly the hood of the original Robin Hood.

Sometime in the early 60s, it's unclear when, Sherwood retired, likely due to advanced age. Soon after, however, a new Sherwood appeared on the scene. Sherwood II was much less secretive than his predecessor, but for one thing: he will not reveal the identity of Sherwood I, or how he came to meet him and take up the hood. Otherwise, his identity is now publicly known to be Logan Kerr, a young entrepreneur who had been cheated out of his company and his fortune by a greedy corporation. The first few years of his career were spent chasing down and stopping any illegal ventures they ran, then triumphantly taking over the company and investing much of its resources into charitable ventures. The Sherwood Corporation, publicly led by Sherwood II, known to the world as Logan Kerr, became known as a force for good in England, so much so in fact, that I cannot actually recall the company's old name.

Logan Kerr, like his predecessor, soon became too old to fight crime directly, although he still funds anti-crime initiatives. He was forced to retire in the 80s after a climactic final battle with his arch enemy, the disgraced ex-CEO of his company, a man of great toxic powers calling himself "The Sheriff". The Sheriff perished, but in doing so, poisoned Logan so badly that it was all he could do to survive, let alone retain his health. Thus, in the 80s and 90s, Nottingham was without a Sherwood to protect it.

Finally, in 2005, Sherwood III came onto the scene. James Arkwright is a personal friend of mine, and he's still active, so I am reluctant to divulge to much. A family man, and an ex-Olympic athlete, he became aware of the injustice in the world when he was mugged returning from training one day. Injured and crawling through the alleyways looking for help, he saw the crime and poverty that most do not. At which point he realized that his fame and fortune were all wasted, and decided to do something with his life.

Assisted by Logan Kerr, and operating in secret, Sherwood III is a cheerful man who nonetheless has a conviction harder than steel. He genuinely believes that no matter how many muggings he stops as Sherwood, it is nothing in comparison to what the shelters he champions as James Arkwright can do. He runs energy drinks companies, buys up small companies at fair prices, and then makes sure the profits and efforts are distributed fairly. He's a good man. Probably better than me.

Sherwood III

James Arkwright

Power Level: 9 (135PP)

Trade-Offs: +3 Attack / -3 Damage (ranged), +3 Defense / -3 Toughness

Abilities: 6 + 12 + 4 + 6 + 6 + 4 = 38PP

Strength 16 (+3)

Dexterity 22 (+6)

Constitution 14 (+2)

Intelligence 16 (+3)

Wisdom 16 (+3)

Charisma 14 (+2)

Combat: 18 + 12 = 30PP

Initiative: +10

Attack: +9, +10 ranged, +16 with bow

Grapple: +12

Defense: +12 (+6 Base, +6 Dodge Focus), +3 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -2/-1 flat-footed, -3/-2 with costume

Saving Throws: 3 + 4 + 3 = 10PP

Toughness: +4/+6 (+2 Con, +2 costume, +2 Defensive Roll)

Fortitude: +5 (+2 Con, +3)

Reflex: +10 (+6 Dex, +4)

Will: +6 (+3 Wis, +3)

Skills: 96R = 24PP

Acrobatics 14 (+20, Skill Mastery)

Bluff 8 (+10)

Climb 7 (+10)

Escape Artist 4 (+10)

Gather Information 13 (+15)

Intimidate 8 (+10)

Knowledge (streetwise) 7 (+10, Skill Mastery)

Notice 14 (+17, Skill Mastery)

Search 7 (+10)

Stealth 14 (+20, Skill Mastery)

Feats: 20PP

Attack Focus (ranged) 1

Attack Specialisation (bow) 3

Benefit 2 (Wealth)

Defensive Roll 1

Dodge Focus 6

Equipment 1

Evasion

Improved Initiative

Jack of all Trades

Power Attack

Quick Draw

Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Knowledge [streetwise], Notice, Stealth)

Well-Informed

Costume: Protection 2 (Power Feats: Subtle) [3PP]

Grappling gun: Super-Movement 1 (swinging) [2EP]

Powers: 12PP

Device 4 (Easy to Lose; 20pp of traits) [12PP]

• Trick Arrow Array 8 (16pp array, Power Feats: 4 Alternate Powers) [20PP]
    Base Power: Blast 3 (Power Feats: Improved Critical, Improved Range [75' increment], Mighty 3, Progression [750' maximum range], Variable Descriptor [bludgeoning/piercing/slashing]) [13PP] (piercing, blunt or bladed arrows)
    Alternate Power: Blast 3 (Extras: Autofire 6 [+1], Flaws: Action - Full [-1], Power Feats: Improved Critical, Improved Range [75' increment], Mighty 3, Progression [750' maximum range], Variable Descriptor [bludgeoning/piercing/slashing]) [16PP]
    Alternate Power: Dazzle 6 (visual sense) [12PP]
    Alternate Power: Obscure 8 (visual, 1000' radius, Extras: Independent [+0]) [16PP]
    Alternate Power: Snare 6 (Power Feats: Obscures Sense 2 [visual, auditory]) [14PP]

DC Block:

ATTACK        RANGE     SAVE                         EFFECT

Unarmed       Touch     DC 18 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Arrows        Ranged    DC 21 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Rapid Arrows  Ranged    DC 21 Toughness (Staged)     Damage, Autofire

Dazzle        Ranged    DC 16 Reflex/Fortitude       Blinded

Snare         Ranged    DC 16 Reflex (Staged)        Entangled/Helpless

Abilities (38) + Combat (30) + Saving Throws (10) + Skills (24) + Feats (21) + Powers (12) - Drawbacks (0) = 135 Power Points

Note: A little known fact is that there was a fourth Sherwood for a brief time in the 90s. However, he is not generally classed by the general public and other Sherwoods as Sherwood III for a variety of reasons:

- He did not possess the hood claimed to be Robin Hood's.

- He was a ruthless killer, who thought killing criminal scum far exceeded the necessity of charitable causes.

He died in the mid-90s, fighting a man who claiming to be the Sheriff returned.

• 1 month later...

Doktor Viktor Archeville

Doktor Archeville, a German immigrant to Freedom City, is the owner and head developer of ArcheTech. In brief, he is possibly the world's most brilliant mind, possessing expert-level knowledges in the disciplines he is least skilled in. He typically carries an assortment of gadgetry allowing him to defend himself from attack, in addition to providing an array of offensive and utility effects. I have first hand seen him produce medical scanners, radio jammers and laser cutters from his handheld screwdriver-like device. Testing has never proven him to possess a metagene, with only speculation on possible sources of metahuman powers. As such, he is most likely a human, albeit an exceptionally, exceptionally, intelligent one.

One oddity is that he is apparently older than I am, but he doesn't particularly look it.

While not to my knowledge an official Knight of Freedom, he nonetheless has a strong working relationship with nearly all of the remaining members of the group. Thus, he has a strong base of contacts and allies, including such powerful metahumans as the Scarab and Dark Star.

The Doktor has no obvious weaknesses. His human form is augmented by gadgetry making him completely bulletproof, able to fly through space, and teleport in the blink of an eye. Thus, outmaneuvering or overpowering him is exceptionally difficult. Additionally, outthinking him in nigh-impossible, as he is one of the most intelligent men in human history. He has likely anticipated the ways in which it is possible to bring him down.

Recommended method: He's human. He's smarter than anyone, possibly better protected than most, but when it comes down to it, he has to sleep eventually, he can't live in a force field bubble forever, and without them... he's very easy to take down. While a genius, he has never before me exhibited huge levels of combat prowess, so a surprise attack may prove highly effective.

Should he have the timeframe and awareness in which to foreward plan, he could potentially accomplish anything. Should he be needed to be taken down, don't let him know until you do it. One resource which might work, and might not, is that he uses technological gadgetry. An electromagnetic pulse may disable any systems he has not had time to shield yet, and may level the playing field in these scenarios.

Personal Life: The Doktor has a reputation as a bit of a party boy as well a scientist. His fondness for good foods and better drinks is well-known, and he's apparently a regular patron of Oktoberfest.

He's also in a relationship with Mona Teymourian, a.k.a. Fulcrum. As she is a powerful superhuman nearly two and a half metres tall, any weakness deriving from this attachment will be highly circumstantial.