Lilith Bathory, PL 10 villain

Chumpsteady

Players Name: Chumpsteady

Power Level: 10

Characters Name: Lilith Bathory

Alternate Identity: many of them

Description: Lilith is a natural shapeshifter. She looks like whatever her imagination pleases.

History: Historians record Elizabeth Bathory as a madwoman who killed young virgin females to keep her youth. The truth was perverted. The weak fell and the strong were granted The Blessing. By the time Bathory was found out, her progency was already spreading to the four corners of the world. Lilith is one of the first to recieve The Blessing. For 400 years she has avoided making her progency, but recently it has started gnawing at her. She has come to Freedom City as it seems the most likely to find someone pure.

Stats: 20pp

Str: 10 (+0)

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 10 (+0)

Int: 20 (+5)

Wis: 10 (+0)

Cha: 20 (+5)

Combat: 28pp

Attack: +4, +10 with Mind Control

Defense: +10

Initiative: +0

Grapple: +4

Saves: 30pp

Toughness: +10

Fortitude: +10 (+10 base)

Reflex: +10 (+10 base)

Will: +10 (+10 base)

Skills: 56r = 14pp

Bluff 15 (+20)

Diplomacy 15 (+20)

Disguise 0 (+45 with Morph)

Know (arcana) 15 (+20)

Know (history) 15 (+20)

Language 4 (Hungarian*, English, Italian, French, Spanish)

Feats: 5pp

Attractive

Connected

Equipment 2 (Mansion: Toughness 10, Large, Library, Laboratory, Living Space, Concealed; ritual knife)

Ritualist

Powers: 63pp

Drain 1 (Constitution)

Immunity 11 (aging, sleep, life support; Power Feat: Innate)

Mind Control 10 (Extras: Conscious, Sustained, Effortless, Instant Command; Flaws: Side Effect 1 (Damage 12 (Extra: alt save/will), DC 27), Touch Range, Distracting, Unreliable (recharge, ritual bath); Power Feats: Subtle, Mind Link, Accurate 3)

Morph 8 (any humanoid; Extra: Continuous, Power Feat: Innate)

Protection 10

Drawbacks: -10pp

Power Loss (Drain; victim must have 1 lethal damage; -1)

Vulnerable (silver weapons, x2 DC modifier; common, major; -4)

Weakness (beauty, stunned for one round by losing an opposed Charisma check; common, moderate; -4)

Weakness (dependence on blood, must drink 1 Con point worth every night [24 hours] or suffer a -1 cumulative drain on Con; common, moderate; -1)

DC Block:

Mind Control 10, +10 melee, DC 20 Will

Ritual Knife, +4 melee, DC 16 Toughness

Costs: Abilities (20) + Combat (28) + Saves (30) + Skills (14) + Feats (5) + Powers (63) - Drawbacks (10) = 150

Description: Lilith is a natural shapeshifter. She looks like whatever her imagination pleases.

History: Historians record Elizabeth Bathory as a madwoman who killed young virgin females to keep her youth. The truth was perverted. The weak fell and the strong were granted The Blessing. By the time Bathory was found out, her progency was already spreading to the four corners of the world. Lilith is one of the first to recieve The Blessing. For 400 years she has avoided making her progency, but recently it has started gnawing at her. She has come to Freedom City as it seems the most likely to find someone pure.

Stats:

Dex: 20 (+5)

Combat:

Attack: +0, +10 with Mind Control

Initiative: +5

Grapple: +0

Saves:

Fortitude: +10 (+10 save)

Reflex: +10 (+5 dex, +5 save)

Skills:

Know (arcana) 15 (+20)

Know (history) 15 (+20)

Bluff 15 (+20)

Diplomacy 15 (+20)

Disguise 0 (+55 with Morph)

Feats:

Ritualist

Powers:

Mind Control 10 (Extras: Conscious, Sustained, Effortless, Instant Command; Flaw: Full Action, Touch Range, Limited (pure*), Staged (dazed/stunned); Power Feat: Subtle, Mental Link, Accurate 5)

AP: Emotion Control (Flaw: Full Action, Limited (pure*); Power Feat: Subtle) 10

Morph 10 (Extra: Continuous, Power Feat: Innate)

Protection 10

Drawbacks:

Weakness (sharp wooden objects in heart, -1 Con each action, -8)

Weakness (must drink blood, -1 Con every 24 hours, -1)

Vulnerable (fire, -5)

Costs: Abilities (30) + Combat (20) + Saves (25) + Skills (16) + Feats (2) + Powers (71) - Drawbacks (14) = 150

* Hungarian is base

** Pure means heroes, not villains

Mind Control 10 (Extras: Conscious, Sustained, Effortless, Instant Command; Flaw: Full Action, Touch Range, Limited (pure*), Staged (dazed/stunned); Power Feat: Subtle, Mental Link, Accurate 5)

AP: Emotion Control 10 (Flaw: Full Action, Limited (pure*); Power Feat: Subtle)

I don't believe we're using the "Staged"option for Mind Control, so I'm not sure that Flaw would be allowed.

More importantly, I'm not sure "Limited to Pure people/Heroes" would be a valid Flaw -- Limited tends to mean limited to something concrete, easily identifiable. As Silver Age-y as we try to keep the place, there are some characters (both PCs and officially published characters) who are neither pure "White Hats" nor pure "Black Hats." And what of the millions of non-powered shlubs who just try and make it through the day?

Given her background, why not have it be Limited to people whose blood she has tasted? That's a semi-classic flaw to vampiric emotion- and mind-control.

Drawbacks:

Weakness (sharp wooden objects in heart, -1 Con each action, -8)

I'm not sure this works, either. A weakness is "you suffer harm from something normally harmless to others (normal people)"... but everyone would be harmed by having a sharp wooden object in their heart!

I'd suggest taking a Vulnerability to blessed, silver, and wooden weapons instead (a common frequency, since folks who face her will probably assume she's some sort of vampire and will bring anti-vamp weapons to future encounters).

Keeping with the Bathory/Vampire thing, a Weakness to Sunlight would be appropriate: besides being a bane to vampires, it's also a cause of premature aging/wrinkles, something she'd want to avoid.

Also, be aware you cannot have more points in Drawbacks than your PL, so the most a PL 10 character can get from drawbacks is 10 points.

I am almost done with the character. By the way, I'm sort of not going with the traditional vampire as in "cursed by God". Meaning she can walk around in sunlight and crosses aren't a problem, but she will have some parts in there. The silvered weapons and drinking blood I kept. "Bathory vampires" are obsessed with the purity and beauty of their victims. They can drink anyone's blood for sustenace, but it's the truly pure and/or beautiful they seek out for nourishment and possibly for their progency.

In Bram Stoker's Dracula, sunlight wasn't a major problem: it didn't do any damage, it just robbed Dracula of his supernatural powers.

The "obsession with beauty" thing makes me think of the Toreador vampires from White Wolf's Vampire: the Masquerade. They were so obsessed with beauty (be it a person, a painting, a song, or whatever) that they would actually become entranced by beautiful things when first seeing it, standing in still fascination. If you were interested in going that route, she could have a drawback "Weakness (beauty, stunned for one round by losing an opposed Charisma check; common, moderate, 4pp)"

Stats:

Combat:

Attack: +0

Saves:

Skills:

Know (arcana) 15 (+20)

Know (history) 15 (+20)

Bluff 15 (+20)

Diplomacy 15 (+20)

Disguise 0 (+40 with Morph)

Feats:

Attractive

Connected

Ritualist

Fascinate (Diplomacy)

Powers:

Mind Control 10 (Extras: Conscious, Sustained, Effortless, Instant Command; Flaw: Unreliable (recharge, blood every 24 hours), Sight-Dependant, Limited (target must be fascinated), Side Effect 1 (Mental Blast 3); Power Feat: Subtle, Mental Link)

Morph 7 (Extra: Continuous, Power Feat: Innate)

Protection 10

Drawbacks:

Weakness (must drink blood once a day, -1 Con every 24 hours, -1)

Vulnerable (silver weapons, -5)

Weakness (beauty, stunned for one round by losing an opposed Charisma check; common, moderate, 4pp)

Costs: Abilities (30) + Combat (20) + Saves (25) + Skills (16) + Feats (4) + Powers (65) - Drawbacks (10) = 150

I only count 59pp in powers. Unless the Morph is supposed to be the 2pp/level "any humanoid" (which should be listed).

Due to PL limits, her Attractive can't help her Bluff or Diplomacy. Since PL caps are 'hard' caps, technically she can't have it, unless you remove 4 ranks each from Bluff and Diplomacy (freeing up 2 pp).

Could you please list out the frequency and intensity for her Drawbacks? It looks like it should be:

Weakness (dependence on blood, must drink 1 Con point worth every night [24 hours] or suffer a -1 cumulative drain on Con; common, moderate, -1)

[Which means she should have Drain Con 1, so she can drain blood/Constitution]

Vulnerable (silver weapons, x2 DC modifier; very common, major; -5)

[Though I'm not sure it should be so frequent -- "Very Common" means almost every person she attacks is going to have a silver weapon. Common would be better, reducing the total value of the drawback by 1pp.]

My main concern is that she's a one-trick pony: she'll either totally dominate someone with her mind control, or not, and if not, she's got nothing more to use against them (unless she's prepared something well in advance with Ritualist). I'm also not sure about that Side-Effect, given how high her Will save is.

Stats:

Combat:

Saves:

Skills:

Know (arcana) 15 (+20)

Know (history) 15 (+20)

Bluff 15 (+20)

Diplomacy 15 (+20)

Feats:

Attractive

Connected

Equipment 1 (Mansion: Large, Library, Laboratory, Living Space)

Ritualist

Powers:

Mind Control 10 (Extras: Conscious, Sustained, Effortless, Instant Command; Flaws: Side Effect 1 (17pp), Touch Range, Sight Dependant, Unreliable (recharge, blood every 24 hours); Power Feats: Subtle, Mind Link, Accurate 5)

Drain 1 (Constitution)

Device 1 (easy to lose; Enchanted Ritual Dagger; Damage 5)

Protection 10

Drawbacks:

Weakness (dependence on blood, must drink 1 Con point worth every night [24 hours] or suffer a -1 cumulative drain on Con; common, moderate; -1)

Weakness (beauty, stunned for one round by losing an opposed Charisma check; common, moderate; -4)

Costs: Abilities (30) + Combat (20) + Saves (25) + Skills (14) + Feats (4) + Powers (67) - Drawbacks (10) = 150

Powers:

Mind Control 10 (Extras: Conscious, Sustained, Effortless, Instant Command; Flaws: Side Effect 1 (17pp), Touch Range, Sight Dependant, Unreliable (recharge, blood every 24 hours); Power Feats: Subtle, Mind Link, Accurate 5)

I'm still unsure about this.

Sight-Dependent is an invalid flaw -- it only applies to Perception-range effects. But, reducing the range to Touch is a 2-step flaw (Perception to Ranged, Ranged to Touch), so the cost actually works out the same.

The Accurate 5 (and no BAB) is what's bothering me, though. Please explain, from a in-character perspective, how her touch-range mind control is so accurate (but still requires her to touch the victim and isn't Perception-range), but she's so poor/unskilled in any form of combat that she only has a 50/50 chance of slapping or striking some insolent Bystander.

Also, for the Unreliable, it's the "5 uses at a time" version? If so, the time to recharge is suggested as 1 hour (in her case, probably by taking a nice long soak in a tub).

I knew you'd ask about the Accurate feats :) It's sort of the reason I got the side effect. It's Bathory guiding the hand of her progency. If it wasted, there are reprecussions. The Countess does not abide wasting The Blessing.

I'll fix the Sight-Dependant after I post this.

I was thinking of something like draining a live subject, but you know, that wouldn't be a bad idea either ;)

Combat:

Saves:

Skills:

Know (arcana) 15 (+20)

Know (history) 15 (+20)

Bluff 15 (+20)

Diplomacy 15 (+20)

Feats:

Attractive

Connected

Equipment 1 (Mansion: Large, Library, Laboratory, Living Space)

Ritualist

Powers:

Mind Control 10 (Extras: Conscious, Sustained, Effortless, Instant Command; Flaws: Side Effect 1 (17pp), Touch Range, Distracting, Unreliable (recharge, ritual bath); Power Feats: Subtle, Mind Link, Accurate 5)

Drain 1 (Constitution)

Device 1 (easy to lose; Enchanted Ritual Dagger; Damage 5)

Protection 10

Drawbacks:

Costs: Abilities (30) + Combat (20) + Saves (25) + Skills (14) + Feats (4) + Powers (67) - Drawbacks (10) = 150

I think the cost may still be off, though, since flawing it it to Touch range is a 2-step flaw. The power as-written costs 17pp (though the Side Effect should have a value of 27pp -- I believe the value of the Side Effect should be calculated as equal tot he cost of the power without the Side Effect flaw, though I may be mistaken).

Also, you still haven't answered my question about the "Accurate 5 and no other Attack bonus" part.

Well, I explained the Accurate feats (It's Bathory guiding the hand of her progency. If it wasted, there are reprecussions. The Countess does not abide wasting The Blessing.)

Ah, I must've missed that. Sorry.

but I didn't explain no base attack. Hm. You think after 400 years she'd pick up some combat skills. Rectified after this post.

One would think that, yeah. ;) Especially since she can't always rely on her mind control.

Hm. You think after 400 years she'd pick up some combat skills.

That actually depends more of the character than the amount of time they have lived. A character who has lived for a thousand years but has been spending it in a workshop, a library or generally in a non-violent environment will obviously not be more capable of fighting than your average bystander. In another game I'm playing a sorceress who's counting her age in millennia, but she has mostly been spending them raising families (having married many times over the millenia).

That actually depends more of the character than the amount of time they have lived. A character who has lived for a thousand years but has been spending it in a workshop, a library or generally in a non-violent environment will obviously not be more capable of fighting than your average bystander. In another game I'm playing a sorceress who's counting her age in millennia, but she has mostly been spending them raising families (having married many times over the millenia).

True to an extent. On the flip side, anyone who's been active as a superhero/villain for much length of time is going to -- simply by being exposed to combat -- pick up at least some basics of combat techniques. Even if the person has, say, nothing but Perception-range mental effects.

Also, I really don't think Lilith Bathory's environment could at all be described as "non-violent" ;)

Stats:

Dex: 10 (+0)

Combat:

Attack: +4, +10 with Mind Control

Initiative: +0

Saves:

Reflex: +10 (+10 save)

Skills:

Know (arcana) 15 (+20)

Know (history) 15 (+20)

Bluff 15 (+20)

Diplomacy 15 (+20)

Feats:

Connected

Equipment 2 (Mansion: Large, Library, Laboratory, Living Space; ritual knife; 2pp unspent)

Ritualist

Powers:

Mind Control 10 (Extras: Conscious, Sustained, Effortless, Instant Command; Flaws: Side Effect 1 (15pp), Touch Range, Distracting, Unreliable (recharge, ritual bath); Power Feats: Subtle, Mind Link, Accurate 3)

Drain 1 (Constitution)

Protection 10

Drawbacks:

Costs: Abilities (20) + Combat (28) + Saves (30) + Skills (16) + Feats (4) + Powers (62) - Drawbacks (10) = 150

Aside from editing it to fit into the board's guidelines (like putting the pp cost for each category [skills, feats, etc.]), listing things alphabetically, a DC block for her powers, and so on), there is one more thing:

Equipment 2 (Mansion: Large, Library, Laboratory, Living Space; ritual knife; 2pp unspent)

Is the ritual knife the same as a dagger?

What's the Toughness of her mansion HQ?