Fire and Brimstone [IC]

Kavos

Holy frack!

Terhune stood dumbfounded, his jaw actually a bit slack as the presentation was made.

A moment or two after Gwen spoke, he found his voice, "madame... am I to understand that this... system can be used to create items, or most any size or description, to fit most any need or desire?"

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"madame... am I to understand that this... system can be used to create items, or most any size or description, to fit most any need or desire?"

"Correct, for a fee of course." Gwen replied, her demeanor still as hard as a diamond.

Sirius took a step forward, "Just ah, remember to not tamper with it in any way... I'd ah, rather not have to seek knew employment." Sirius commented, as he confirmed that tampering in anyway with the device would have hazardous results to one's health.

Gwen gave Sirius a sideway glance causing Sirius to quickly slink back to the were he was standing before.

"There are of cause limits. The more powerful an Item is,the longer it will take Will and his team to build, and the more expensive it will be. There are some thing's that all the money in the would couldn't make us build either." Gwen Said, "Not that we cannot build them, just that the amount of magical energy they require is too much of a cost. Not to mention the more powerful the Item the harder it is for our operation to stay secret." Gwen explained to Jos.

• 2 weeks later...

Again... holy frack!

Terhune's dumbfounded expression returned, though not as blatant. His jaw was not nearly as slack, for example.

"Yes, that is," he said as he approached the table and reached for the crystalline disk, "quite an acceptable agreement. A type I am not a stranger to, I would add."

Before actually touching the disk, he pulls his hand back, "one more question: can this... system be used to, shall we say, disguise items? To make something appear to be very old, possibly worn and weathered?"

Gwen looks to William awaiting his answer. Will thinks for a moment before responding, "Technically you can order anything you like to appear however you like.... I suppose it would be passable to scan in an existing item and have it refurbished to look old... for a fee and some time of course." Will answers, scratching his chin in thought. "However I should add that the system was not designed for that, and so we hold no responsability if the Item in question is destroyed by accident." Will adds. "It would also only be a cosmetic change any formal study into the item would still reveal it's true age."

Thinking for a second longer Will grabs the small disks and moves away. Turning his back to the group, Will begins to fuss with the device.

"As we said before, there are limitations to this deal. There are some things that it will not make for one reason or another. We also hold no responsability to the Item as soon as it is within your possession. Any Harm that comes from a requested item will be your responsability." Gwen Says, pulling out a rolled up piece of parchment.

Unfolding it, she places it on the table. "This outlines everything that has been said, and the terms of our agreement." Gwen says as she pulls out an old style quill. "If you agree to these terms sign here." Indicating to one of the four blank lines on the parchment.

Will suddenly regions the group, as he places a small device back into a pocket in his shirt. Placing the disk back on the desk, "I've added to the menu a refurbishment option, Simply place the object you want to be refurbished on the disk, activated the scan function, and than select refurbish and the type of refurbishment you want. It will than teleport the Item away, after you agree to the payment and once done it will be teleported back...It also has a warning that we hold no responsability if something were to happen to the object." Will says taking a step back.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, there's the rub.

Terhune's expression faded from showed awe to his more normal, reserved self. He also drew his hand further back from the disk.

"Ah, there we have what may be the deal-breaker, I am afraid," he said, "for while I expect many items I sell here would not go under much scrutiny, there are several which would be examined. And if those items are found to be fakes, well, I am sure you can predict what would happen to my professional reputation and standing in the community."

Gwen's left eyebrow raised ever-so-slightly before her face quickly became as cold as it had been before. She turned to look at Will expectantly, It was obvious that if this didn't work out he would be in trouble.

"I suppose it might be possible to add a minor enchantment to the item's for ye?" Will said, "So anyone using non-magical means wouldn't be able to tell the difference from a fake to an authentic, but a half decent magic user would be able to discover the deception. I'm afraid that's the best we could do without Violation..." Will began to say before a stern look from Gwen cut him of.

"So, do we have a deal or should I take this little device over to that nice little antique store a few blocks down?" Gwen said sharply.

Meanwhile Sirius at this stage had picked up more interest in the conversation. He wasn't sure what Will was talking about, but He figured he should find out, assuming this went well and his mother didn't roast him over it if it didn't.

Oh, he is good. Wait - 'Violation'? Violation of what? This bears some further scrutiny.

Terhune's broad smile returned as Will explained the modification he could make. The mystical obscurements he'd set up in his shoppe would fool any magical means of detection, at least while the item and inspector were in the building. The wards wouldn't help if they examined the item mystically once outside the shoppe, but he didn't intend to sell many "authentic magical artifacts" anyway (since doing so could very quickly draw the wrong kind of attention), just a few to those who seemed too gullible to bother mystically scanning it, too green to tell the difference between the magic of the item and the magic hiding the fact that the item was made very recently, or too desperate to care whether the item was three centuries or three weeks old.

He turned slightly to face Gwen, "oh, no, madame, no need for that: what your associate just described should be perfectly fine for my purposes. Now, is there anything you would be needing from me?"

Gwen looks at Jos with cold eyes, a hidden smile on her lips. "As you know full well, there is always a balance in magic, and so there is a balance in life..." Gwen said somewhat cryptically.

"We are new to freedom city, we have few contacts here, You seem to stand on the borders of the realm of magic and reality. Whether through some mystical connections that you have or through pure coincidence that you discovered magical items. Whatever the reason you are now apart of our world." Gwen takes a slow breath before continuing, "In exchange for our service I ask that you be our eyes are ears. You are a simple shop owner, you have no ties to us what so ever, For all the world know's your products come from all around the world..." Gwen finished, letting her words hang in the air for a moment, to see what Jos' response was.

Hunh, less than I expected. Which could mean I really need to watch out...

Terhune bowed his head slightly towards Gwen, "My products will be coming from all around the world; I do still have some contacts in Europe I can make use of. Always plant a lie inside a truth, makes it easier to swallow."

"That said," he continued, "your terms are eminently agreeable, madame. In fact, one of the planned upgrades I intend to make to this place is the installation of some cameras and listening devices to keep a better eye on things, and to catch any inconvenient truths which might otherwise fall between the cracks and vanish, and I should be more than willing to share such recordings with you and yours."

"Than Mr. Terhune I believe that concludes out business, If you would sign here please." Gwen said indicating to one of the dotted lines on the contract, which had grown in size since Jos last looked at it.

"Shouldn't we tell him about the you know whats?" Sirius piped in despite the slight flare of annoyance Gwen shot him

"Of cause..." Gwen said before continuing, "It would be best if you watch out for red birds, they will back-stab you at a moments notice..." Gwen said leaving it at that.

Sign?! Crap... though, really, I should've expected that. Alright, let's see... if I remember correctly, if this is some sort of mystically-binding contract, then it won't have as strong an effect on me if I don't use my full name, or if I use an alias. But if so, then this device may not work as well for me as it would if I signed my full true name.

"Red birds?," Jos asked, "I never much cared for birds, anyway. I am more of a cat fancier."

He patted his jacket pocket, and drew forth a fancy black pen, "sign here, yes?"

Jos Terhune

Gwen gave Jos a mysterious smile as he mentioned his preference to cats, but didn't elaborate further.

Once Jos had signed Will stepped forward and signed his own name, Followed by Sirius and finally Gwen.

William Cambell

Sirius Vulpes

Gwenevere Vulpes

Once all the names were signed Gwen took the parchment and rolled it up. As she was rolling a secondary piece of parchment seemed to unroll. Taking the second piece of parchment, she handed it to Jos. "There is your copy of the contract." Gwen said. "As of today we are now partner's in the antique business." She added. "In so being, I shall allow my son further employment in your establishment, consider it a loan." She said not a single hint of humor in her voice. In the background Sirius made a quite moaning noise and rolled his eyes.

Well, at least I know I get to keep the kid, with her blessing. 'Course, now I know he's got someone else he owes fealty to, and he's probably gonna have him watch me, so I'm gonna have to really watch myself around him.

"I thank you for that," Jos said after taking his copy of the contact, "he has been a fine employee."

He paused to take a sip of his tea, "anything else while you're here? If you fancy this tea set," he flashed his salesman's smile, "I can make you an offer...."

Gwen Stood and collected her bag, Eying the tea set for a second before speaking. "I've seen better forgery's of the British monarchs tea set made by children." Gwen said bluntly. "Besides... My own tea set is far older..." She said with a devilish grin on her face before turning and heading for the door. Will Quickly fell in line behind her as she left the store without another word...

Sirius had turned red, whether it would out of embarrassment or anger it was hard to tell. "I'm ah... sorry about my mother, she can be... eccentric." Sirius says apologetically.

What?!

Terhune balked at Gwen's parting words, "that is not a... I paid a hefty sum for...."

But now he had a doubt, a worry that he had been duped, and that would not do, so he began examining the tea set. Sirius' words made him pause -- maybe she was teasing? -- but he resumed his examination anyway. "Yes, well, you cannot choose your family, can you?"

Several month's later... (August 3rd, 2009, a Monday)

It had been several months since the meeting between Gwen and Jos to discuss there new business relationship. The item had proved itself more than a good deal on Jos side. It had increased sales by twenty percent, and reduced overhead by ten percent.

One quite afternoon Sirius was out back tending to the latest shipment of items. while Jos was busy arranging the shelving for the newest batch when the small bell on the door rang.

Turning his attention Jos see's a beautiful young Asian woman enter the shop. She wore a bright red business suit and dress. He hair was as red as a rose, with golden streaks through it as it ran down to the small of her back.

The woman looks at him, a sheepish smile on her face. "Ego Redimio vos Vulpes Phasmatis!" (I bind you fox spirit!) She says forcefully, as if she expected something to happen.

The sound of something falling to the ground could be heard out back.

The woman's attention shifts from Jos to the back room. "Is there anybody else here?" She asks smoothly.

O... kay. She must think I may be a Fox Spirit, which means she's really after Sirius. Could she be tied to the 'red bird' Gwen mentioned?

Jos kept up his Salesman's Smile. "I am sorry, I do not speak Italian, but- ah, you do speak English, excellent. No, no one else around," he lied while moving towards a display case nearer the front of the shoppe, "but I am sure I can manage to assist you by myself. I do have some fine Calabrian dolls you may find of interest."

The woman looks unsure, but than shrugs appearing to believe the story.

"I have no interest in Calabrian dolls" She says simple, "I am looking for someone... They would have markings on them... tattoos... of a Fox, have you seen them?" The woman says, he voice soothing...almost calming...

Does he have any tats? I don't recall ever seeing any... then again, it's not like I've really looked.

Jos moved over to another display case, one holding more an assortment of small books. "Oh, I get all manner of customers in here, madame, and some are adorned with tattoos. Not that that bothers me any; I have seen all sorts of things in this city. I cannot say as I recall ever seeing someone with a fox tattoo, though, unless it was hidden under their clothes. And I do not make a habit of checking under my patron's clothes, unless I suspect them of shoplifting."

"Oh... what a shame..." She say's smoothly, Jos suddenly feel's the effects of her voice, inviable flames leap from her mouth and enter his mind, Despite his best efforts to resist the flames simply burns through his mental defenses...

"You wan't to help me don't you? you want to help me find the bad fox don't you..." she said despite Jos's best efforts he couldn't help but feel friendly and helpful to the strange woman, he voice was so soothing and she was so desirable. "Have you ever seen any form of fox? a normal fox? a massive fox the size of a car? or perhaps a humanoid fox?" She asks...

Whoah... look at the way her eyes catch the light, the curve of that dress... did it just get more sexy in here?

Jos moved closer to the woman, still smiling. "Oh, I've seen lots of foxes, madame, both at home and here. Can't say as I've ever seen one the size of a car, but I have seen some humanoid ones. In fact, if I may say," he slicked his hair back, "I do believe I'm looking at a fox right now...."

Her smile grow's bigger and bigger as Jos tell's her about seeing foxes but than plummets as he calls her a fox. "I am no FOX!" she said, the last word coated in venom. "If you will not co-operate than I have nothing left to talk to you about!" She hissed, her voice no longer calm and seductive but now rage and anger filled it's place.