Naming etiquette

Chumpsteady

That is very interesting. I don't think it's happened on the board yet, but then again I may be wrong. I don'T see a real problem with it if you're talking about the character's real name and not the super name you're going to use.

Real life lends many people with the same last name which leads to many different situations. Besides, how often will you be going around using the name on the site? I would guess very little but it shouldn't be a problem.

And even with super-names, it certainly happens in comics -- how many "Captain Marvels" does the Marvel Universe have? How many Flashes and Green Lanterns and Doctors Mid-Nite/Midnight and Misters Terrific does DC have?

Then again, those tend to be Legacies, so it'd probably be best to ask the player first and see about tying your character's backstory to theirs.

I could see it going either way, in both cases. One character might have similar powers than another and take the name not realizing it was 'taken', and likewise, with surnames, surnames are surnames, not fate given things, and many people have so many relatives and people who don't share anywhere close relations to them but have the same surname.