[Campaign Idea] The Laws of Magic

Heridfel

Hey there,

My villain, Heavy, is looking for a way to transfer the magical runes that are currently enchanting his battlesuit directly to his body. He's putting out feelers in the villain community to see who might be able to do it, and what they would want for it. He's reachable through the standard grapevine (that is, through the Arena).

OOC: Specifically, he wants to move the Immunity (aging) from the battlesuit to himself. It'd be a power-point neutral change, assuming one of his current feats gets moved inside the battlesuit to compensate. I had been thinking someone with Ritualist or Artificer might be able to do it, but the refs would be the judge of that.

Hey there,

My villain, Heavy, is looking for a way to transfer the magical runes that are currently enchanting his battlesuit directly to his body. He's putting out feelers in the villain community to see who might be able to do it, and what they would want for it. He's reachable through the standard grapevine (that is, through the Arena).

OOC: Specifically, he wants to move the Immunity (aging) from the battlesuit to himself. It'd be a power-point neutral change, assuming one of his current feats gets moved inside the battlesuit to compensate. I had been thinking someone with Ritualist or Artificer might be able to do it, but the refs would be the judge of that.

Hey there,

My character, Shinken, is the heroic CEO and chief inventor of a company that has become a world-spanning military conglomerate by specializing in commercialized battlesuits, one that also has a significant position in cybernetics research. Should you be unable to find a magical solution to your problem from someone you can trust- not at all unlikely if you're going through the supervillian grapevine- you could turn to him to try and isolate the specific bit in your suit that makes you immortal and implant it inside you, as a sort of kludgy magitech.

Since, as far as I know, you haven't even committed any high-profile crimes yet, that would mean that Benjiro wouldn't have a major reason to deny you his help- and when you do start doing supervillian things, it'll make for an interesting dynamic between us, giving him significant motivation to get out there and take you down.

Interested?

My character, Shinken, is the heroic CEO and chief inventor of a company that has become a world-spanning military conglomerate by specializing in commercialized battlesuits, one that also has a significant position in cybernetics research. Should you be unable to find a magical solution to your problem from someone you can trust- not at all unlikely if you're going through the supervillian grapevine- you could turn to him to try and isolate the specific bit in your suit that makes you immortal and implant it inside you, as a sort of kludgy magitech.

Since, as far as I know, you haven't even committed any high-profile crimes yet, that would mean that Benjiro wouldn't have a major reason to deny you his help- and when you do start doing supervillian things, it'll make for an interesting dynamic between us, giving him significant motivation to get out there and take you down.

Interested?

Interested?

I'll have to think about it. I had pictured Heavy at the level of Captain Boomerang or Mirror Master - a supervillain who is somewhat known, but definitely not on the A-list. If that's the case, you would probably know of him. I'll want to give the villains a chance, especially since I see that Bael got sanctioned (and a few of the NPC evil magicians would also work).

I'll have to think about it. I had pictured Heavy at the level of Captain Boomerang or Mirror Master - a supervillain who is somewhat known, but definitely not on the A-list. If that's the case, you would probably know of him. I'll want to give the villains a chance, especially since I see that Bael got sanctioned (and a few of the NPC evil magicians would also work).

In game terms what would that be? Something like . . .

Transform 8 [Heroes into heroes, 250 lbs, Extra: Duration (Continuous), Flaws: Range (Touch), Limited: Can only be used to move Immunity 1 [Aging] from battle suit to person and 1 feat vice versa] – 16 PPs.

This would be a Knowledge (arcane lore) check of DC 26 and 16 hours (~ 2 days) of work to design it. Then it would be a Knowledge (arcane lore) check of DC 26 and 64 hours (~ 8 days) of work to construct the ritual.

That works for me.

Transform 8 [Heroes into heroes, 250 lbs, Extra: Duration (Continuous), Flaws: Range (Touch), Limited: Can only be used to move Immunity 1 [Aging] from battle suit to person and 1 feat vice versa] – 16 PPs.

This would be a Knowledge (arcane lore) check of DC 26 and 16 hours (~ 2 days) of work to design it. Then it would be a Knowledge (arcane lore) check of DC 26 and 64 hours (~ 8 days) of work to construct the ritual.

That works for me.

That works for me.

Yep, that looks like one way to do it. Depending on how difficult you want to make it (and therefore, how many heroes or villains would be capable of doing it), you could also add the Action flaw to change it to a full-round action, thereby reducing the pp cost of the ritual to 8 pp. Oddly enough, by spending an extra 3 seconds or so when performing the ritual, you reduce the research time by 32 hours and the setup time by an hour and twenty minutes.

How it gets done doesn't matter to me IC, or for that matter, OOC. I just suggested the extra flaw to allow for a PL 6 villain to be able to do it without needing to max out Knowledge (arcane lore) and have a hefty Int bonus to go with it.

Yep, that looks like one way to do it. Depending on how difficult you want to make it (and therefore, how many heroes or villains would be capable of doing it), you could also add the Action flaw to change it to a full-round action, thereby reducing the pp cost of the ritual to 8 pp. Oddly enough, by spending an extra 3 seconds or so when performing the ritual, you reduce the research time by 32 hours and the setup time by an hour and twenty minutes.

How it gets done doesn't matter to me IC, or for that matter, OOC. I just suggested the extra flaw to allow for a PL 6 villain to be able to do it without needing to max out Knowledge (arcane lore) and have a hefty Int bonus to go with it.

If I were Ref-ing it, I wouldn't allow that as a limitation, because in this case, since it's not being used as an attack, increasing the Action isn't really a limitation.

[Edit] And for the record, I would not normally allow a limitation like "Can only be used to move Immunity 1 [Aging] from battle suit to person and 1 feat vice versa" to be bought on a temporary, one-shot power, because in this case, it isn't a limitation at all. But I think this particular use is pretty innocuous, and without at least one limitation it becomes nearly impossible to pull off (DC 34). Since moving those two PPs around is something I'd probably allow this early in the game without any RP to accompany it . . . what the heck?

If I were Ref-ing it, I wouldn't allow that as a limitation, because in this case, since it's not being used as an attack, increasing the Action isn't really a limitation.

[Edit] And for the record, I would not normally allow a limitation like "Can only be used to move Immunity 1 [Aging] from battle suit to person and 1 feat vice versa" to be bought on a temporary, one-shot power, because in this case, it isn't a limitation at all. But I think this particular use is pretty innocuous, and without at least one limitation it becomes nearly impossible to pull off (DC 34). Since moving those two PPs around is something I'd probably allow this early in the game without any RP to accompany it . . . what the heck?

Well, I had an idea of how to get this plot rolling. Nanowire owes Heavy a favor, and that favor will be help in breaking into the museum and stealing a purported magical tome. We've got two PL 10 villains going in, and I was looking for two PL 10 heroes to oppose us. Spellweaver has an obvious hook, but I'm up for whomever might have a reason for being at the museum in the middle of the night, just in time to catch two villains... villainying. Yeah.

Well, I had an idea of how to get this plot rolling. Nanowire owes Heavy a favor, and that favor will be help in breaking into the museum and stealing a purported magical tome. We've got two PL 10 villains going in, and I was looking for two PL 10 heroes to oppose us. Spellweaver has an obvious hook, but I'm up for whomever might have a reason for being at the museum in the middle of the night, just in time to catch two villains... villainying. Yeah.