Power Level: 10 (152 pp)

Unspent PP: 2

Characters Name: Shade

Alternate Identity: Daniel Morgan

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 160 lbs.

Hair: None

Eyes: Red

Description: The name Daniel Morgan chose is apt for Shade resembles nothing more then a walking shadow in the light of day. When interacting with other people, Shade can don a black trench coat and adopt something resembling human features. And when in combat, chances are you won't see him at all.

Short History: Twin brother named Peter with light powers. Peter was killed, Daniel swore revenge. Fought long and hard, almost died. Realized that he was coming as bad as the people he hated and dedicated himself to doing good.

Stats: [16pp]

Str: 12 (+1)

Dex: 18 (+4)

Con: 10 (+0)

Int: 14 (+2)

Wis: 10 (+0)

Cha: 12 (+1)

Combat: [12pp]

Attack: +6, +10 w/ Blast

Grapple: +7

Defense: +5 (+0 flat-footed)

Knockback: -14

Initiative: +4

Saves: [9pp]

Toughness: +14 (Impervious 14)

Fortitude: +2 (+0 Con, +2 bought)

Reflex: +6 (+4 Dex, +2 bought), Evasion 2

Will: +5 (+0 Wis, +5 bought)

Skills: 48 ranks [12pp]

Acrobatics 3 (+7)

Bluff 5 (+6)

Computers 2 (+4)

Disable Device 4 (+6)

Gather Information 4 (+5)

Intimidate 4 (+4)

Investigate 5 (+7)

Knowledge (Streetwise) 2 (+4)

Notice 4 (+4)

Search 3 (+5)

Sense Motive 7 (+7)

Stealth 5 (+9)

Feats: [15pp]

All-out Attack

Dodge Focus x5

Evasion x2

Improved Critical (Blast) x2

Precise Shot x2

Sneak Attack x3 (+4 bonus)

Powers: [88 pp]

Concealment 4 (all visual; Flaw: Only in natural shadows or darkness) [4pp]

Darkness Control 11* (PFs: 4 APs and 2 DAPs) [30 pp]

AP: Blast 6 (Extra: Autofire; PFs: Accurate 2, Improved Range 2 [300ft. increment])

AP: Create Object 5** (Extra: Duration/Continuous; PFs: Precise, Progression 5/up to 250-ft. cubes, Stationary)

DAP: ESP (visual and auditory; Flaw: Medium/natural darkness or shadows; PF: Subtle)

AP: Fatigue 10 (Extra: 50-ft. Burst Area; Flaw: Requires targets to be in natural shadows or darkness; PFs: Reversible, Selective)

AP: Snare 11 (Extra: Regenerating; Flaw: Requires targets to be in natural shadows or darkness)

DAP: Teleport (Flaw: Medium/natural darkness or shadows; PFs: Change Velocity, Progression 3/1,000 lbs. cargo, Subtle)

Immunity 9 (Life Support) [9 pp]

Protection 13 (Extra: Impervious) [26 pp]

Regeneration 30 (Recovery +5, Bruise 3/no action, Unconscious 1/round, Injured 6/no action, Staggered 6/no action, Disabled 8/no action, Resurrection 1/week; Flaw: Source/natural shadows or darkness; PFs: Incurable, Regrowth) [17pp]

Super-Senses 2 (darkvision) [2 pp]

* Darkness created by his Darkness Control does not count as "natural shadows or darkness" for the purposes of his other powers

** Created Objects do not cast shadows, though are otherwise opaque.

Drawbacks: [-2 pp]

Vulnerable (effects with Light descriptor, x1.5 DC modifier; uncommon, moderate)

DC Block:

Blast 6 (Autofire).....21(25*)/Toughness.....Bruise+ (Shadow Energy), Crit 18-20

Fatigue.....21/Fortitude.....Fatigued+

Snare.....21/Reflex.....Snared+

*With Sneak Attack

Costs: Abilities (16) + Combat (12) + Saves (9) + Skills (12) + Feats (15) + Powers (88) - Drawbacks (-2) = 150

Tradeoff: -3 defense/+3 toughness

Personality wise, Shade draws a lot on Rorschach from Watchmen, and although he's more willing to show mercy because of his brother, that mercy is slowly drying up.

Mechanics wise, my original idea was for a character who made knives out of shadows and threw them. Eventually that morphed into a darkness controlling character. For awhile he had Insubstantial 4, but I decided to junk that and go with brick level toughness.

Shade is very good in a shadowy environment or while operating within his own darkness via the darkness control power. In the darkness he has high mobility and multiple options for dealing with foes. In bright light he has substantially fewer options, being limited to normal mobility and with only his Protection, Immunity, Blast and Create Objects powers being active.

Welcome to FC PbP! Please, introduce yourself in the "Secret Identity" thread (see my .sig for the link). :)

The concept's solid, though a tad grimmer than what we're used to here. There are a few stat errors and issues, too.

"Requires shadows/darkness as a medium or source" isn't really a Flaw for his Concealment or Regeneration, since he can make his own Darkness at most any time.

This also applies to his ESP and Teleport, since they're Dynamic APs and so he can create darkness at some target point.

Speaking of the Dynamic APs, his Darkness Control actually costs 31pp -- 22 for rank 11, +4 for the four regular APs, +4 for the two DAPs, and +1 more to make the Darkness Control itself Dynamic.

Ah, I wasn't sure how four color things generally were around here. It's no trouble, I already planned on it more being about him pulling away from the brink then going over it, I'll just move his remaining idealism up a little bit.

I didn't intend for his powers to be able to work in his darkness control power, sometimes people take shadow to mean that in pitch blackness there's no shadows, that's what I was trying to word against. Although I didn't word by description at the bottom well in the respect. In a similar vein Darkness Control isn't meant to be dynamic, ESP and Teleport are just dynamic so that he can see places for a long range teleport.

Ah, I wasn't sure how four color things generally were around here. It's no trouble, I already planned on it more being about him pulling away from the brink then going over it, I'll just move his remaining idealism up a little bit.

We try and keep thing a bit more Four Color-y than what's going on in current comics. Grim and gritty have their place, and in small doses they can add excellent contrast, but we do try and keep things firmly rooted in "this is the kind of place no player would be opposed to living in, at least for a short while."

I didn't intend for his powers to be able to work in his darkness control power, sometimes people take shadow to mean that in pitch blackness there's no shadows, that's what I was trying to word against. Although I didn't word by description at the bottom well in the respect.

Ah, so it's "any shadow or darkness not directly generated by his own Darkness Control"? That's a different story... but we still have the same problem. Since he has that Continuous Create Object effect, he can just create a shady spot anytime, anywhere.

In a similar vein Darkness Control isn't meant to be dynamic, ESP and Teleport are just dynamic so that he can see places for a long range teleport.

*re-reads the sections on Dynamic powers in UP*

Well, seems doable: it doesn't say the base effect must by Dynamic.

Ah, so it's "any shadow or darkness not directly generated by his own Darkness Control"? That's a different story... but we still have the same problem. Since he has that Continuous Create Object effect, he can just create a shady spot anytime, anywhere.

Well, easiest solution I can think is to say that as shadow constructs although they're opaque they don't actually interfere with light and it passes right through.

Such a solution offends physics, but then again physics doesn't really have rules for creating constructs out of shadows.

• 2 months later...