Wrongdoers, Inc.

Veiled Malice

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still rather confused: what desire does playing a villain fulfill for you?

Well, freedom, for one. As a superhero, you are more or less at the mercy of the GM's in your play choices. Villains, however, are in no way constrained by the same thing. You want to rob a bank? Rob that bank. You want to knock over a building because you don't like the color scheme? Paint it in bright primary colors.

You want to hurl fecal matter at the Centurion statue in Riverside Park? Build a trebuchet, order a shipment of cow dung and get to it. :)

I find it's more about planning and execution than anything else. Like I said, as a hero, you are more or less on rails. Being proactive in my activities appeals to me. I get to screw with named characters like Captain Thunder and if I pull it off right, I can do so without even being seen. Beating a guy over the head with the superstructure of a cruise liner might be fun, but getting somebody else to do it for you, manipulating the situation from behind the scenes with a few well placed words? That's gold.

Being intelligent is the name of the game for me, and getting up off my ass just to fly out and beat up the villain of the week as part of some extremely black and white motivation holds little entertainment. I get enough of that at my weekly FtF game.

Well, freedom, for one. As a superhero, you are more or less at the mercy of the GM's in your play choices. Villains, however, are in no way constrained by the same thing. You want to rob a bank? Rob that bank. You want to knock over a building because you don't like the color scheme? Paint it in bright primary colors.

You want to hurl fecal matter at the Centurion statue in Riverside Park? Build a trebuchet, order a shipment of cow dung and get to it. :)

I find it's more about planning and execution than anything else. Like I said, as a hero, you are more or less on rails. Being proactive in my activities appeals to me. I get to screw with named characters like Captain Thunder and if I pull it off right, I can do so without even being seen. Beating a guy over the head with the superstructure of a cruise liner might be fun, but getting somebody else to do it for you, manipulating the situation from behind the scenes with a few well placed words? That's gold.

Being intelligent is the name of the game for me, and getting up off my ass just to fly out and beat up the villain of the week as part of some extremely black and white motivation holds little entertainment. I get enough of that at my weekly FtF game.

another thing alot of villians do is to team up..so your a psycotic killer? thats not an excuse for always losing a fight, one favorite tool of the gm that I usually play with is to unleash duel threats..one is a straight up powerhouse turning downtown into a re-enactment of ww2, meanwhile another villian, this one a bit smarter, is stealing astro labs newest proto-type battle armor or somthing of the sort..and most of all NEVER FIGHT FAIR.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

another thing alot of villians do is to team up..so your a psycotic killer? thats not an excuse for always losing a fight, one favorite tool of the gm that I usually play with is to unleash duel threats..one is a straight up powerhouse turning downtown into a re-enactment of ww2, meanwhile another villian, this one a bit smarter, is stealing astro labs newest proto-type battle armor or somthing of the sort..and most of all NEVER FIGHT FAIR.

And what do you do if you want to be a hero and help people, but your powers make being viewed as a hero impossible?

Imagine someone whose elemental creation/control power is based on fecal matter. I've seen it, more than once. Does the poor citizen whose precious convertible has just been stolen ask this hero for help, and risk the thieves being stopped by encasing the car in a huge ball of poop? How do people feel about fighting someone who sucks his opponents through his own asshole into a dimension inhabited by living fecal elementals? Don't laugh, there's a published graphic novel about a hero with that ability.

What do you do if your power has karmic consequences on onlookers? You do something, and the urge/virtue/vice corresponding to what you did is drained from bystanders and witnesses. Save lives, and the witnesses become more prone to murder. Do charitable deeds and see thefts skyrocket. Become a villain and steal, and watch the neighborhood grow safer. Beat up heroes and be seen doing it on the evening news, and watch gang activity fade away.

What if the villain isn't really committing crimes? What if he's an actor (they do say all the world is a stage) playing the part of a bad guy for an otherdimensional TV show? What if all the major villains are actually undercover law enforcement officers, and their "crimes" are okayed with the police ahead of time?

And what do you do if you want to be a hero and help people, but your powers make being viewed as a hero impossible?

Imagine someone whose elemental creation/control power is based on fecal matter. I've seen it, more than once. Does the poor citizen whose precious convertible has just been stolen ask this hero for help, and risk the thieves being stopped by encasing the car in a huge ball of poop? How do people feel about fighting someone who sucks his opponents through his own asshole into a dimension inhabited by living fecal elementals? Don't laugh, there's a published graphic novel about a hero with that ability.

What do you do if your power has karmic consequences on onlookers? You do something, and the urge/virtue/vice corresponding to what you did is drained from bystanders and witnesses. Save lives, and the witnesses become more prone to murder. Do charitable deeds and see thefts skyrocket. Become a villain and steal, and watch the neighborhood grow safer. Beat up heroes and be seen doing it on the evening news, and watch gang activity fade away.

What if the villain isn't really committing crimes? What if he's an actor (they do say all the world is a stage) playing the part of a bad guy for an otherdimensional TV show? What if all the major villains are actually undercover law enforcement officers, and their "crimes" are okayed with the police ahead of time?