Festive Smear

Supercape

Caroline peered up at the man’s face blearily. Less than she actually felt, true, but that was very good whisky Dick had with him. “Oh, man. Oh, man. I’m sorry. I thought you were someone else.” Okay, so he was dumb muscle. Trained, yes. Tough, oh indeed.  But anything approaching smart? Hah, no. “Tch, he probably didn’t come out tonight. Frickin’ loser.” She took a swallow of her beer, and let time go by. She watched Delilah work, and didn’t even try to hide her interest. “So, who’s the babe? She gets the motor running, I tell you what. If I was ten years younger…”

GM

The man twitched his eye, full of nerves. His frown furrowed and ticced. 

"Delilah..." he muttered, not sure if he should talk or not. "...she's trouble. Probably shouldn't tell ya, but I'll give you a friendly warning. Don't mess with her"

He grunted a dark warning. 

"She'll mess you around. And if you mess back, then I gotta...do stuff" he said, the implication clear. He clenched his hands into fists as he said so. 

A small glimmer of intelligence crept into his brain. 

"What you so interested in her for, anyways?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Delilah, huh?" Caroline savored the name as if hearing it for the first time. "How...biblical." She gave the big guy a playful shove. "Does that make you Samson? I don't think a friendly guy like you would hurt a fly." She giggled. Man, it had been years since she giggled. She was drunker than she thought. "I'm kidding. You're a big, tough, manly man. I can tell." She smiled mischievously "As to why I'm interested, well...there's two things. The first being...have you seen her? I mean, whew. I'm starting to think I'd need to be fifteen years younger, but that's dating myself. As for the second...you're not the only one on the job tonight." She watched Delilah. "How do you feel about doing...stuff? Wouldn't you rather just sit here and drink? I might be able to make that happen, and nobody has to do stuff or have stuff done to them."

GM

"I've hurt plenty. I was a marine" said the marine, proudly. "Been shot at. And did a fair bit of shooting myself" he added. 

He looked at his drink, sourness in his face. 

"Damn it. This got bitter" he said of his drink and his life. He wasn't exactly looking at Jette when he spoke. He was mumbling to himself. 

"Bad $£%! went down there. Saw it with my own two goddamn eyes. We fought for our country, bled for our country, died for our country. And then, back here, and nothing but scars. You can't go back to normal after..."

He paused, not wanting to verbalise bad memories. 

"...ended up with Dirk and Dick. The marine brothers. Smart as hell. Saved my life overseas more times than I can count. Stone cold killers. I ended up just fighting their war over here....damn it...."

He obviously wasn't used to reflection. But now, the cracks were clearly showing.