Falling Upwards

TheAbsurdist

"HA! That was amazing!" Pan quickly joined in on the laugh, having skid to a halt with just a flicker of Pixie Dust trailing behind him. It really was amazing. One moment, they were high above the city, hurling towards it at amazing speed. He would have flown, but Corinne had warned him, and he wanted to see what she had planned. And he had not been disappointed.

Still on his feet, much like her, he could scarcily believe that they had reached the ground as quickly. And her laughter was infectious! He could not keep himself from joining her, could not stop himself from laughing, without a care for the people on the busy street around them.

The laughing died down, eventually, and she shook those that tumultuous, iridescent, and incandescent riot of hair, it fell around her shoulders as she was still in her deep violet dress.  Her breath coming out in puffs, as the night chilled.  Pan could feel the warmth of her due to her hand, and her proximity to him.  She did let go, and she leaned towards him, pressing her shoulder against him, laughing still in glee, as her hands rested against her thighs.

Eventually she managed to rein in her reaction, and slowly she straightened then.  "Mm, now... now nachos."  She stepped towards the door to the restaurant, and then and opened in, before her other hand produced a purse from seemingly nowhere.  "I like spicy, so if you can't hang, then you can have a separate plate."  She flashed a smile at him, as she held the door for him to step on inside.

Pan held his arm around Corinne's shoulder as she laughed, laughing with her. Oh, this was just brilliant. Sure, people around them might be staring, but so what? Let them! Who cared? 

"Yes, nachos! Let me get a taste of this fabled dish!" Pan agreed, letting her lead the way. He stopped in the door, staring at her with a serious expression. He could only keep that up for so long before his lips split into the grin that seemed to be his default. "Let us try spicy, then! And I will do my best to hang!" He moved on, into the restaurant, quickly gesturing for Corinne to lead the way. She was the one that knew about these things, after all! And spicy could mean many things, after all. He had once seen someone eat a very spicy pepper on a computer. A few other students had been laughing at the man's reaction, and Pan had joined them! Now, it would be interesting to see just how spicy these nachos would be!

Corinne sashayed up towards the counter, one hand holding up the big skirts so she could move freely to it,  "Largest Carne Asada nachos you have, with everything, with extra jalepeños, and your homemade hot suace."  She said, all batting the eyes, and smiles, despite the fact that she very much in her Zenith form and decidedly alien to a degree, what with the glowing eyes, otherworldly voice, her hair, and the scattering light that tended to follow her about, "And... six Jarritos, two tamarind, two piñas, and two lime.  And two horchatas."

She moved in front of the counter, twisting on the balls of her feet, as she kicked her hips out to a rhythm she was keenly aware.  Bopping, and shimmying along.  She pulled out the money, and flashed them a grin, "Thank you!  And keep the change."

The man behind the counter, in his orange polo shirt, and a NY Mets cap accepted the money from her, and the behavior of the glowing girl with a level gaze that could only be described as Freedom City fastfood worker.  And that likely he might see even weirder as the night wore on.  Though he acknowledged with a small smile the tip she left.  

Pan followed, and he had to marvel at all the names that Corinne rattled off, so many different dishes. Not just spicy nachos, like she had said. Or maybe it was all some kind of spicy nachos? Interesting! While they waited, he leaned against the counter, trying to get a look at the food being prepared. 

"That was a lot of different things. How can you even keep them all straight at once?" he asked, stretching a bit to try and get a look at the kitchen. "I hope it is alright that I pay you back another day. I am still not used to having to carry money around." 

• 2 weeks later...

"Most of that was drinks, I come from a land of tacquerias and restaurants with secret menus."  She grinned, as she sidled away from the counter, and waited.  It wasn't long before the tray was slide over and she moved to pick it up. "Or, she is, and I know."  It was a mountain of chips, cheese, guacamole, salsa, meat, beans, and jalepenos with six bottled sodas, and two styrofoam cups filled with the cinnamon flavored rice milk that was horchata.

"Besides, we fell out of the sky, might as well go big."  She laughed as she carried it over to a table and set it down before smoothly placing the tray on the surface.

She is, I know, who is, who knows? Keeping track of Zenith and Corinne was a bit challenging, to tell the truth, but Pan was up for the challenge! Besides, he was having fun.

And then Corinne brought over the food, and Pan's eyes went wide. It was a mountain of yellow and green and brown. So much of it. "Fell with the grace of a dancer, you mean." Pan grinned back, reaching out for one of the cups. He was thirsty. He had tried sodas before, but this seemed new. Something tasty too, he hoped. He looked into the cup quickly, to see the white colored, then raised it to his lips and drank.

His eyes went wide as he put it down again. "This is great! Which one was it again?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Horchata.  Cinnamon rice milk"  She laughed at his antics, amused by his reaction to the stuff, though it was good here.  Very good.  Still, it was sending her into a giggle fit.  Before she tore into the nachos like a woman who hadn't had food in hours.  Of course she/they never really hid the fact that she ate, a lot.  Corinne's appetite was famous, and she generally had a snack on her at any point of the day, and it wasn't uncommon to bum food off of her.  Now, of course her going all hangry was speculated to be a big reason for her transitions to Zenith.

She attacked the nachos, piling high the mounds of cheese, beans, carne asade, and other toppings, and she did so with relish.  Sounds of contentment and food based happiness leaving her around mouthfuls.  If she had poise it was gone, replaced with the grace of a shark.

"Horchata is great, then!" Pan loudly declared, not a care for how anyone else might react to it. And then watched with awe as Corinne dove straight at the mountain of nachos. He could have compared the way she fiercely attacked the food with many things that he had seen on Neverworld. Beasts, monsters, feasts in some parts of the world, and yet, he was not quite sure that it would do the sight he was seeing now justice.

With a laugh, he joined in, quickly stuffing his mouth. And quite enjoying the taste too. "Tasty!" he managed between mouthfuls. While he might not share Corinne's appetite, he was far from a picky eater, and this tasted so great! This world had so much great food!

She was, at that point, already through her horchata, and a good quarter of the impressive mound of nachos.  She popped off the metal cap of the first bottle of soda, a lime, with it's bright green color.  See, some of the science types said it was because of her powers, that they burned energy, had to come from somewhere.  Which, sure, made sense.  But she was also a good half-foot taller than other dancers in her class, and commensurately heavier.  So she ate even more.

Wiping away a glob of guacamole from her chin with her fingers, she gracelessly cleaned it off her fingers, before looking back to Pan.  Her eyes somewhat visible behind the light that poured out, and she shrugged, before she pulled her hand away and picked up some napkins to clean off her face and her hands.  "I eat a lot."  She didn't say it lamely, she was never ashamed of the fact, "Dancing and all the training makes me really hungry."  Then she reached out and tapped on the bottles of soda, the caps disintegrating like they were nothing.  "Try the lime."

Then she resumed consuming mass quantities.

"I had hardly noticed," Pan replied with a smile and a wink, as he thoughtfully tasted the different dishes and drinks that had been presented. While Corinne did not seem the sort to be easily embarrassed, he had not wanted to mention her eating habits. Truly, it was impressive, but with powers like hers, and created by her own body, he supposed it made sense. Fuel to keep her engine running. And then, her dancing of course. Exercise, training. Yes, yes, it all made sense.

Truth to be told, he did not care much either. He did not easy quite as messily as her, but that was more due to the fact that he wanted to get the full taste of everything. The crisp nachos! The molten cheese! It was delicious! "I will!" he replied, reaching for the lime soda. It was filled with bubbles, much like the other soda of this world. Such wonderful drinks, so many different variations, so sweet and bubbly! This, however, was not sweet, was it? No, the taste of lime was somewhat bitter, different from what he had expected as he emptied the bottle in a single long gulp. He looked perplexed for a moment, then grinned widely. "Wonderful! What next, then!?"

She didn't stop eating, she managed to wolf and swallow down the food to get words out.  "This is the sustenance of my people, tacquerias!" she clapped and laughed joyously.  Zenith was like a filter, where the color was cranked to just oversaturation, as was her gusto.  She wasn't calm.  She was like that tempestuous effect of her powers that danced around her.  She was a storm given roughly human form.  "Tamarind."  It was sweet, a little tangy, a little fruity, and a color similar to cola.  She waited until he grabbed up his bottle and she clinked the necks of the glass together. "Prost!"

Then she threw her head back, and started to guzzle at her drink.  Needing not just to drink it, but to just ravenously devour it for the whole experience.

"Prost, indeed!" Pan agreed, clinking the glass together with Zenith's before mimicking her way of drinking. If this was how you drank something like this, then he would do just that! He drank, bottle held high and the sweet fruity tamarind did honestly not taste like anything he had tried before. He had, based on the color at least, suspected it would be something like cola, something sweet, bubbly, but this was different! And it was good!

Finally, bottle emptied, he set it down hard on the table, clanging loudly, before moving on to the next. The nachos were cruncy and somewhat salty, yes, a perfect combination with the soft cheese. He could hardly keep up with Zenith, but he tried anyway, laughing in between bites. "I love these! All these crunchy things! I do not think we had anything like this back home!" And then another mouthful of nachos silenced him.