Dust Devil II

1. Where is your hero from?
Southside, Freedom City.

2. How would your hero physically describe him/herself? Is this different from how others would?
My looks are pretty average, but I've gotten pretty ripped lately. 

3. Does your hero have distinguishing speech characteristics or recurring mannerisms?
Nah.

4. What is your hero's motivation?
I'm supposed to protect the Magic Mesa. I want to make sure what happened to me doesn't happen to anyone else.

5. What are your hero's greatest strengths and weaknesses?
I'm made of sand. Few things can really hurt me, and I'm strong as ¤%&#. I'm really not sure about my limits, and just what can hurt me. 

6. What does your hero love? What does your hero hate?
I love my family, even if they bug me sometimes. I hate uncle Ben for what he did to me, and one day, I'll get him. I wouldn't say I hate 'em, but I got no patience for stuck up and pretentious people that like to just ramble on.

7. How would you describe your character's mental and emotional state?
I ain't sure. I died, and I came back. Everything's been different since then. Some days I feel like I'm still in the desert with bullet holes in my body.

8. What does your hero fear the most?
Letting others die.

9. What is your character's greatest ambition?
Ain't sure. Keeping the Mesa safe, I guess.

10. How does your hero feel about the state of the world and his/her place in it?
Its a hard world, sure. I'm gonna keep going, and I'm gonna do my best.

11. Does your hero have any prejudices? How does he/she get along with others?
I hate when people get all pretentious and stuck up around me.  

12. Where do your heroes loyalties lie? In what order?
My family, keeping people safe, and the Magic Mesa.

13. Does your hero have a lover or partner? How do they feel about the hero now?
Nope. There's this one girl that sometimes bring the goods to the store, though.

14. Does your hero have a family? What is the relationship there like?
My lil' bro loves me. I've only been getting friendlier with Ma and Pops since I got back from the desert. Uncle Ben... I'm gonna get him one day.

15. How would the people closest to your hero describe him or her?
A former slacker that has found his drive.

16. Is your hero a role model?
I had to die to become a hero, so I'd say no.

17. How spiritual is your hero? Does your hero follow a relgious tradition?
I'm not really religious, but ever since the Mesa brought me back I've started thinking more about that stuff. Especially when I'm at the Mesa.

18. Is your hero part of a team, or would he/she like to be? Why?
I've always been a loner, but it might be good to find someone else that'd know about this life.

19. How does your hero feel about the place of metahumans and aliens on Earth?
Got no particular feelings there.

20. If you could give one piece of advice to your hero, what would it be?
Listen to your own advice: Justice, not revenge.

• 1 month later...

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

The Dust Devil.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

The Dust Devil. 

What is your full birth name?

Cassidy Collins.

Where do you live?

In a one-room apartment in Southside.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)? 

26, born in 1992.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

I'm a man.

How would you describe your heritage?

From all over the U.S.

How tall are you?

About 5'10''.

What is your body type?

Athletic. A bit muscular.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

No.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence? 

I stand tall, when I want to be seen, but I can be sneaky when I need to.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color. 

Tanned skin, blue eyes, black hair.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

Somewhat short hair, but not a buzzcut or anything like that. I got a full beard.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

Not really. No idea what others think.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

Three scars on my chest, where the bullets hit me.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

None.

Do you have a dominant hand?

Right.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Jeans and t-shirts. Denim jackets.

Do you wear makeup?

None.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

Low. Somewhere between baritone and bass.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people? 

I don't talk a lot, I like to keep it short. No particular reason.

History

Where do you come from?

Southside, Freedom City.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

No, I live in the same city as always.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

Not particularly.

How do you feel about the place you come from? 

Southside needs help. I can't give it money, but I can give it protection.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

The Southside neighborhood in Freedom City. Its poor, and it can be dangerous, but its home.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you? 

Plenty mixed. I don't really care about people's race and such. Your behavior is all that matters.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life? 

Never had much drive before. Parents didn't like it, and it didn't really help me keep jobs. That's changed now.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Not in my early years, no.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

Giving up working on a big project for school because it was too much work, and my dad scolding me. What can I say, I was a slacker.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Slack off all the time. Never take anything seriously. Trust anyone and everyone.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

Public school in Southside. Got through High School, nothing else after that. I didn't really care much.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

Still got an old used NES that my dad got at a flea market when I was a kid.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

Didn't have much choice. Uncle Ben killed me, and the Magic Mesa brought me back to be a guardian. Since then, it has just felt like the right thing to do.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

I don't tend to mention the part about dying, if it can be helped. Most people won't understand that. Not sure I do.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

I'm a dead man walking. Does it get darker? And I unwittingly helped my uncle sell stolen Terminus weapons.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

I've changed a lot lately. I try and put on a show of just being who I used to be, but its not really working out.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets? 

I'd mostly try to protect my family. If not for them, I wouldn't care about a secret identity.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

No record.

Family

What are your biological parents' names? 

John and Pearl.

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

Yeah.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

They were pretty well-liked, always tried helping others. Dad's a grocery store manager, mom's a dance instructor.

Where are your parents now?

Still living in Southside, in the old home.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

Too poor to move.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

We had our problems. They didn't like my slacking off, I was supposed to actually do stuff. Its better now that I got some drive, but they're a bit suspicious about it.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they? 

They're confused, I think. I changed a lot, but I think they like me better now.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

Yeah, one. William's my kid brother, just 10 years. I adore that kid, and I'd do anything for him.

What was your birth order in the family?

Oldest son.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

LIves with mom and dad.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

Whenever I got the chance.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

I love William. A few bullies has found that out the hard way.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Not more than I've already said about William.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

I'm kinda the black sheep, due to my slacking off. Uncle Ben too, even if my parents don't know just how bad he is. They think he's just a conman. They have no idea he killed me.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

No.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

No.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

I don't know. I'm not even sure what I am, I can't think of something like that right now.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Someone that loves me despite what I might be.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

Not really.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

No.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

Parents, my brother. Maybe a few friends.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

Only really been in short relationships. They broke up with me, just because I didn't have any ambitions.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

Uncle Ben shot me. He doesn't get to come back from that.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

I don't think he even knows I'm alive. I look forward to letting him know.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Uncle Ben killed me.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

Protecting people, my family and the Magic Mesa.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

My parents. They tried to raise me right, even when I resisted, and stood by me.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

People that betray others. I used to be trusting, got killed for it.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Skilled people. Heroic people. People that know what they're doing, in charge of the situation. I'm just trying to be a guardian and hero, but I got no idea if I'm doing the right thing.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Liars, cheaters, betrayers. I've lied before, I will again. 

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why? 

Yes. I've kept it hidden from anyone. There's no reason for anyone else to know it, it would just bring pain.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

No idea, really.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

No. I don't know if I want to or not.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

Dad and mom's Catholic, attends the local church. I don't put too much stock in all that, and I was too lazy to vote last time.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

I used to love the cowboys from the old Wild West movies. Used to idolize my uncle Ben quite a bit, too.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

Yes. Not really a big fan of uncle Ben these days, seeing as how he shot me.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

Yeah. Its the most alive I've felt. Never knew helping others would feet that great.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

I kinda have to do this. Part of why I'm even alive. Might look for a way out one day, but not seeing that as an option right now.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Find uncle Ben so he can face justice.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

Learn more about the Magic Mesa and my powers, so I can really use it.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

I'm a dead man walking, and I'm made of sand. The last Dust Devil was around for at least a few hundred years. I got no idea what I really am, and to be honest, that scares me more than anything else. I haven't let it get me down yet, but I tend to close up when the fear's brought up.

Is there anything you would give you life for? 

My family.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

I don't really care about it. I use what I have, but I don't really need it to survive anymore. 

How do you generally treat others?

I know I can be a bit short with others, but I can't really help it. Just how I am.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

Used to be, until my trust was abused.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

I'm pretty confident in myself, but I'd say I'm more introverted. Not really shy, but somewhat withdrawn.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex? 

I don't really act on it. I'm used to people not wanting to pursue me, so why bother?

What are your most annoying habits?

I think I can be a bit too short with other people at times. 

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Not really.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

Hot dogs. Used to get it a lot as a kid, and I've just grown to love it. I used to eat quickly, but now I take my time.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

Beer. I'm not picky about the kind.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Apple pie.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

I've never really understood how people can eat brocoli. Kinda childish, I know.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

Grey.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

Not into country, despite what people might think. More of a rock or metal guy. 

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

I don't.

Do you have a favorite animal?

I like turtles.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

The old NES my dad got me from a flea market as a kid. 

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

Roughing it is fine.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Don't know, honestly. Probably.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

I'm getting there, I think. Being brought back to life as a sand man changes you, y'know. 

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

By the Magic Mesa.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization? 

I don't. 

Could you kill? Have you killed?

Haven't been able to so far. Wouldn't surprise me if I could at some point.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

I tried dying. Wasn't nice. I don't think I want blood on my hands, but I might have to.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

Actually, yeah. Some are just that evil, that dangerous. If there's no other way to stop them.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours? 

All depends on the situation. Self-defense? Stopping someone that wouldn't stop? Fine by me. Without real reason? Then I'm taking you down.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

Get it back as quick as I could.

How would you react to public humiliation?

I don't know think I care too much how the public sees me. I'm kinda outside that.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

Won't know till it happens, and I hope it doesn't.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Anything that can ruin someone's life or take it away.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

Tell my family I love them, spend time playing with William, do my best to find a new Dust Devil, finish any unfinished business, and hopefully go down swinging.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

No. Kinda learning what I can do as I go.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

Nobody.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

I know a whole lot more about magic than you'd think. Seems that the Magic Mesa put it in there, for whatever reason.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I work in a grocery store as a stocker. I've had tons of short lived jobs.

What is your preferred combat style?

Fast, efficient. Some might say brutal. Hit, and don't let up. Get it over with quick.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

No.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

I want to learn more about the Magic Mesa and my powers. 

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

I try to learn what I can, but I tend to pull back, letting them do their thing without getting in the way.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

Get to work, maybe spend some time at the gym or with friends. Spend the night making sure Southside is safe.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

Used to be big into video games. Not so much anymore Came from dad when I was a kid. I had gotten into habit of working out a lot. Doesn't do that much for me anymore, but I keep up the habit.

What do you do for fun?

Work out, mostly. 

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

Yeah. Mostly grey, some white shapes on the shirt. Loose dark grey pants. Black gloves and shoes. I wear a bandana around my face to hide my it.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

T-shirts and jeans, and a denim jacket.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

Boxers, but I don't sleep much anymore.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

No.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

No.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

I used to walk or take the bus. Now I just kinda turn into sand and fly or travel through sand.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make? 

No.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

I'm made of sand. Would be difficult.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

Doing my best, and becoming a better man than I used to be.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

Someone with my powers could do lots of damage, yeah. I'm not gonna do that.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My strength, my power. 

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

Without my power, I can't do much, can I? I would just be a loser again.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Do not focus on revenge. Your uncle isn't worth it.

Edited by RocketLord
  • 2 weeks later...

Dust To Dust

"Sorry."

Cassidy heard the sound of the gun being fired three times. He didn't fully register what was going on. He didn't believe it. 

Here they stood, in the middle of the desert. On one side, uncle Ben and his buyers, their cars behind them. A few men in business suits and sunglasses. Completely incognito. One of them was even wearing a completely whie mask that covered his entire face. They did not want to be recognized. That had been the first black flag. Uncle Ben's gun, a six chambered revolver that he liked to show off as being "a real man's weapon", was still in his hand. Everything seemed to move so, so slowly. It was unreal.

"Nothing personal, just business. Dead men tell no tales, right kid?" Uncle Ben's voice was not soothing. It hurt like a knife.

On other side stood Cassidy and a few crates. Cassidy had opened one, finding the alien weapons inside. Leftover from the Terminus Invasion. How had uncle Ben even gotten his hands on those things? It didn't really matter in the moment. There were three holes in his chest. Three holes from which blood poured freely. There was a giant mesa in the desert. Big and dark. Like a tower. Cassidy did not know why he noticed it now, of all times. His eyes quickly returned to uncle Ben.

Without a sound, Cassidy fell over, landing face first in the sand. Everything went dark.

---

An hour later, Cassidy opened his eyes with a gasp. His uncle was gone. As was his buyers, the crates and the cars. He was alone in the desert. And the mesa loomed in the horizon. The sand under Cassidy was dark with his blood. It was wet still. A sandstorm was brewing around him. No tracks left to follow.

And yet, he heard a voice. It called to him.

Rise.

How could he? His body was weak. He was dying. He had nothing to follow, no tracks, no nothing. Only the mesa in the distance. Maybe he should? Die here, flat on his face, or in the shadow? Maybe there was someone there that could help.

And he heard the voice again.

Rise.

A command. One that he followed. For what seemed like hours, Cassidy fought and stumbled. The pain was immense. He could feel his life draining with every movement, with every second. But he continued. The mesa loomed in the horizon, growing ever closer. He stumbled. He fell. He groaned in pain and frustration. But he fought on. Harder than he had ever fought for anything in his life. Closer and closer. The mesa grew in his vision. He felt the call, more than he heard it.

And then he drew in his last breath. He fell. Amd with his face down into the sand, Cassidy Collins died.

---

Rise.

Cassidy felt the words more than he heard them. Everything was a swirl of color and images. It all happened so fast, all moved like a blur. He had died. How could he even see this? How could he hear the voices? How could he feel the battles that unfolded before him, in the flash of an eye? A woman with a braid, turning to sand and back again, dancing around her assailants. A living mountain, smashing a hand down into a group of enemies. A cowboy made of sand, shooting revolvers made of the same. And so many more. They were guardians all. 

And somehow, he knew. And that knowledge made Cassidy Collins angry. They were all like him. Men and women, killed out of turn. Dying facedown in the sand, their bones to be picked by vultures, as were the natural order of things in the desert. All had died unfairly. All had been betrayed, so close to the mesa. 

And yet, here they stood before him, the images of the dead, now men and women of sand whirled before him. Cassidy understood little. How could he see this? How could her hear their voices? He was dead. He was sure that he had died.

He had been betrayed, like all of these men and women. Torn from his family and friends. His killer left unpunished, free to continue on his path of treachery. Free to kill others. 

And yet, somehow, Cassidy understood. If he had been killed in any other place, it would have been the end. But this was not just any other place, was it? This was the Magic Mesa. A place of magic, a place of power. Here, death was not the end, even though it could be. He felt a voice. He heard it. He saw it. It was everything, all at once. The guardians still passed by his vision. So many. And the voice spoke to Cassidy. It bid him to join them. To become something more than what he had been. To get revenge on his killers. To keep the Magic Mesa and the world safe. To live, as he had never lived before. To have purpose. To rise above what he had once been. It would not be an easy life. The stories of the past guardians that unfolded around him made that clear. They fought. They fell. The rose again, to fell once more. 

It seemed like an eternity, as the stories of the guardians happened all around him, all at once. It was too much to take in, yet he tried. He had to understand the choice that was his to make.

Cassidy knew that he was fading. He knew that this was his last and only chance. Rise, or die, alone and forgotten in the desert sands. Uncle Ben would go unpunished. His parents and brother William would never know his fate. He would never be anything else than he had been, never be anything more. He would simply be gone. 

He could feel it. The power of the Magic Mesa. It was all around him, filling wherever he was. He wondered if this was his soul, and where it was. Why did his chest still burn, if he had died? Why did he still feel life draining from him? Would this be it, then? The end of everything for him?

Cassidy Collins made his choice.

---

Cassidy Collins died in the desert that day.

And the Dust Devil rose from the sand.

Edited by RocketLord