Gunfire Night

Tiffany Korta

23:00, 5th November 2018
Southside, Freedom City

Humanity had a great capacity to recover from almost anything, and that included their capacity to hate. Only a few months after the city had almost been obliterated by an invasion force already the various gangs of the Southside had already started fighting amongst each other.

Even worse a few of the devices from the invasion had leaked onto the black market, including once such device that according to good intelligence was going to be sold this very night in a warehouse in more run down part of the area.

Overlays flashed in front of the bulbous mechanical eyes that were Delta's 'gift' from his creator, the part of his brain that was left sent messages to the flesh in his body and it was converted to electrical impulses as metal and flesh met, combined and his black metal fingers uncurled reaching down to tap his belt. Diodes on the metal parts of his skull flashed as he shifted on the small stone ledge he was perched on, watching the warehouse that he had traced the Terminus artifacts to.

Terminus Artifacts....he was a Terminus artifact, a frown creased the flesh of his lower head, yes he was and he wasn't going to let any of them get into the wrong hands and shift the balance of power in the wrong direction, or even worse draw the attention of his creator to this place...that would be bad. Black metal fingers flicked at another button on the belt around his waist and several black and red orbs launched from one of the compartments on his armor to hover in front of his face. Lights flickering between his cybernetic eyes and the robotic scout bots as they synced up so he could process the images they were going to send him.

Then with a shimmer they vanished from site, heading out to scout out the area. Soon he would know what was going on here and how he could deal with it. Planning was everything, more diodes flashed as the computerized part of his brain moved into high gear, maximum processing power was needed to digest the masses of images the bots would be sending him as he searched the area.

Ms Bright
She wasn't a hero Agnes kept telling herself, yet she found herself outside the warehouse where she'd hear a deal was going down. It was amazing, and frustrating, how you seemed to disappear when you were homeless. The two she'd overheard talking about this had completely ignored her as she huddled in a doorway. The rational part of her explained it as the warehouse was a good place to sleep for the night at the very least.

She paused one of the entranced and bought up a fist, that glowed with an angry light, she wasn't expecting anyone here to roll over and give up without a fight. Which in her book was okay, they all deserved a good kicking.

His scout bots had barely started and he stopped them and recalled them, some strangely dressed homeless person was approaching the warehouse....which was annoying, he had to clear them away from the danger before he started his intended surgical strike, it was too easy to pin an accident on someone who looked like he did. Red and black scout robots slipped into the compartment on his belt before his mechanical hands slipped to another device on his belt. Simply touching it was enough for the computer implanted in his head to give exact coordinates from the scan his bots had done and he shimmered and vanished.

Close to where Agnes was moving Delta appeared, in the shadows but the brief flash of light at his departure point leaked through just a little lighting up his corner of the darkness around the warehouse for a fraction of a second. Spotting the homeless person he was about to speak when her fist lit up, it was definitely a female, and he decided to be a little more...subtle? He cleared his throat, loud enough she would hear and an unmistakable sound of someone trying to attract attention. His memory banks whirred as he tried to come up with something else to attract her attention in a way that wouldn't result in friendly fire and the processors came up with something non-threatening.

"Psst"

Ms Bright

Agnes was expecting trouble, it was par for the course for deal like this, but in these matters gangsters weren’t know to be subtle. She’d expected shout and gunfire, not an exaggerated whisper out of the darkness.

Of cause there would be a cowl out here, she shouldn’t have expected anything else in a city like this. She turned to her best guess to where the voice was coming from and gave and exaggerated whisper in her strong North London accent.

“What the bleeding hell are you doing sneaking up on someone like that?”

The accent gave Delta pause, his processors whirring as they determined where it was from but his eyes returned to the fist he had seen glowing just a few moments ago,"Sneaking? Not quiet, I'm working....and I don't have glowing fists so I'm going to assume you are working too? I thought you were a homeless person getting in the way. Seems like that is not the case? That's a really solid disguise."

She really was well disguised, even up close with his search program highlighting things that she was carrying and scanning her it was still categorizing her as homeless,"I am Delta. I'm here to investigate the strange things going on in here.....who are you?"

Ms Bright
Yes pretending to be homeless! It would be tempting to turn on the man and rail about her actual homeless situation, but she had to assume that he was here to help stop whatever was going on inside. At the question of who she was, Agnes gave a strange little smile.

“Who I am is a very good question! But for now, you can call me Ms Bright, for obvious reasons.”

She gestured to her still glowing hands to illustrate her point, when she was still working out her name she’d been giving that title by Maggie, who seemed both crazy and wise depending on how the wind blowed.

“I suppose we should team up here, what do you know about what's going down in here?“

Her facial features moved very rapidly as she thought and he wasn't skilled enough to understand what was going on in her head but he nodded at her choice of name,"Ms Bright...very good. Super hero then with the secrets?"

He nodded at her suggestion, realizing that he would have to share his information if they were to work together,"Yes, I believe that someone is going to be selling Terminus Artifacts in this building. Those cannot fall into the wrong hands. I was about to send my scout drones out to analyze the buildings and the opponents so I could strike them from a position of surprise and stealth. What kind of tactics do you normally use and would you object to my drones scouting out the building first?"

• 1 month later...

Ms Bright

Was she a superhero? It was a complicated question, this far she’d been protecting herself and those around her, but here she was actively going to stop people that could harm everyone. Something inside told her that she was a true hero, but she was still very full of doubt. This time she managed to keep this all inside, instead looking like she was considering what they should do next.

“Well my first idea was to stomp in and begin hitting things, but now I thought I’d storm in shout a little then hit things!” she gave a wry little smile, fully aware how tactically unsound all this sounded

“I assume you have a more tactically sound suggestion?”

Delta's lower face smiled, the bug eyed cybernetics that were the upper part of his face didn't move other than the lenses irising open and closed a little,"I have a few suggestions yes....but first let's send out my scout drones and see what is going on in and around the building. If you can keep an eye out for a few moments I can get us a detailed idea of what is waiting for us. With any luck it will be a fairly normal gang and we can just wipe the floor with them."

Reaching down he tapped the side of his belt, the red and black drones flying out again, sharing their light with their controller for a few moments before shimmering out of view and rushing off to search the area very, very carefully.

• 2 weeks later...

GM Post

The drone quickly returned the necessary data about the occupant of the warehouse right now. There were about half a dozen men, relatively normal looking people, all armed in some way, the four on the perimeter had automatic rifles of some kind and were obviously on the lookout for potential trouble. Whilst the other two only had pistols on their person and were in the centre of the room obviously waiting for whoever was going to buy this alien artefact. Said artefact looked like it was in some sort of case at the feet of the two waiting men.

It would be difficult for a normal squad to defeat such odd, but luckily they weren’t ordinary people!

Delta held up a hand receiving the drone and leaning forward whispered the locations of the six men, and where the artifact was before looking at Ms. Bright,"You want to give me to the count of thirty to get inside and then take out the guys on the perimeter? Soon as I'm done with the two inside I can come out and assist you, sound like a plan?"

He paused realized he had made an assumption, one he shouldn't be making,"The glowing hand was perhaps not all your powers, you can handle being shot at by Automatic rifles?"

Ms Bright

“Well I don’t exactly want to be shot, but I can take a hit or two if needs be!” she drew herself up to her full height, feeling that somehow she should be taller

“I can also fly and teleport around if needed, but we should be fine if these bozo’s are as straight forward as they seem.” thinking about it she added “We should move quickly before whoever the buyers turn up, not that we shouldn’t deal with them as well!”

Whilst she had been working by herself for a little while she was still a good team player.

“When you’re ready let's go for it!”

His face brightened as she mentioned an ability to teleport and then he chuckled,"That's fantastic, let's do something different then! On the count of three we'll teleport into the room with the artifact and the two 'bozo's with any luck we can take them down before they make a noise and simply grab the artifact and get it to safety. Sound good?"

• 2 weeks later...

Ms Bright

Agnes was quite for a few moments as she apparently considered the option at hand.

“I’ve never tried to teleport with someone other than myself, I should be able to do it with the shorter distances to cover for the increase in weight.”

it sounded that she at least understood how her powers worked, which was a surprise to her to discover out this fact.

“There’s still some risk obviously!” she still looked confident despite the risks

“Other than that I’m all good to go!” she managed a reassuring smile.

Ms Bright

Of cause he did! Agnes was still getting us to working with other, what with her being self-sufficient for the last couple of months.But she was enough of a pragmatist to know that she needed help to fight a group like this.

“That solves one problem then, I don’t have to worry about teleporting you into a wall then!” her deadpan delivery meant it was difficult to tell if she was serious or not.

“So when your ready let’s do this!”

Delta held up one mechanical hand, the wrist swiveling around so the fingers faced towards her and one finger shot up, then another, and then a third.

As soon as the third finger was up Delta shimmered, a flash of light and he appeared in the room with the artifact and the men guarding it as he prepared for battle! One hand flipped back, the palm opening up into a glowing red cannon muzzle as various targets flickered across his HUD as it tracked the various foes that the drones had spotted, tactical options spooling across the screen.

GM Post

The assembled members, all in the same colors of a tasteful burnt orange, were hanging around casually weapons slung at their sides. If they expected trouble it wasn’t going to happen until whoever was here to buy the weapon arrives, they weren’t expecting heroes to arrive on the scene. Unluckily for them, heroes were about to appear out of thin air!

Of cause that was until the two flashes of light denoting the arrival of the heroes teleporting in, enough to temporally surprise them for a few moments but not for longer.

The light had barely flickered out of existence and the cybernetic soldier was moving, his drones had placed most of the men before he had arrived and they hadn't moved enough for it to be a problem, not with the telekinetic strikes he was now capable of generating. Spinning in place his targeting matrix highlighted the closest of the thugs and his hand shot out, a yellow flicker of blunt force slamming through the air towards the first of the thugs.

The aim was to take them down as rapidly as possible, so  he was using more force than finesse to end this part of the fight rapidly and get this artifact out to safety.