Siren Song of The Void (OOC)

Amelia

No room for the Demoralize, since using your Super-Strength to coup-de-grace an inanimate object is a full action, but everything else works.

The wall is Toughness 9, equal to Sekhmet's 7 Str + 2 Super-Str, so it fails its Toughness save by 10 and is Disabled, enough for Sekhmet to punch a Sekhmet-sized hole in it.

Deep Spawn's Toughness save (DC27): 27.

Hey look, Luck Control only takes a Reaction to use.

What's that? Set uses Luck Control and burns a Hero Point to force the Deep Spawn to re-roll that save and take the worse of the two rolls? Works for me!

Deep Spawn's Toughness save (DC27, re-roll): 12. Natural "1".

Much better.

The Deep Spawn fails by 15. I'm assuming lethal damage, because fire, so the Deep Spawn is Dying + Unconscious.

Initiative & Condition Summary

Deep Spawn: 25 (Injured, Dying, Unconscious)

Grimalkin: 22 (Confused, Frightened, Nauseated, 2HP)

Mister Strix: 20 (Destroyed, 2HP)

Set: 16 (4HP, Disabled, StaggeredBoundConfused)

Temperance: 16 (6HP, BlindConfused)

Sekhmet: 13 (Unharmed, shares Set's 4HP)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go ahead and say that the Deep Spawn isn't just Dying, but is Dead. Obviously, horrors from beyond time and space don't count against the "Thou Shalt Not Kill" rule.

Set gets a Hero Point for Sekhmet's cool attack.

It's the start of the new round and the Deep Spawn is up, so everyone gets to make a new save against all their lasting status effects, at +1.

Grimalkin:

Will save against Fear (DC20): 25. She's no longer Frightened.

Will save against Confuse (DC20): 26. She's no longer Confused.

Fortitude save against Nauseate (DC20): 19. She'll burn a Hero Point for a re-roll, which means she'll automatically save, since her minimum possible result will beat the DC. She's no longer Nauseated.

Set:

Make a DC20 Will save at +1 to recover from the Confuse effect.

Set is no longer Bound, since the other grappler is Dead.

Set will recover from damage with rest, unless something else heals them first.

Temperance:

Make a DC20 Will save at +1 to recover from the Confuse effect.

Temperance is no longer Blind. Since the Deep Spawn is dead, it's no longer creating a Fear effect, so she can look at it with no ill effect.

Mister Strix:

Mister Strix's action is up next, so he gets a recovery check to resurrect (DC10): 8. Not yet.

I rolled and saved the rest of Mister Strix's recovery checks, so I know how long it'll take him to resurrect and recover, but I'll hold off on posting them until that rough amount of time has passed. In the meantime, it's up to you guys whether you try to heal him (heh) or write him off.

I'll give him a Hero Point for the setback of being taken completely out of action and taking a statistically long time to recover.

Deep Spawn: 25 (Injured, Unconscious, Dead)

Grimalkin: 22 (1HP)

Mister Strix: 20 (Destroyed, 3HP)

Set: 16 (5HP, Disabled, StaggeredBoundConfused)

Temperance: 16 (6HP, BlindConfused)

Sekhmet: 13 (Unharmed, shares Set's 5HP)

Whether or not we drop out of combat rounds now depends on how Set and Temperance roll on their checks to recover from being Confused. If they're still Confused, then we'll keep rolling to see what they do, since it might include "attacking Set and/or Grimalkin."

That hadn't happened yet, Trollthumper, so thanks for clarifying.

@Gizmo Speaking of, Sekhmet's about to become Exhausted on her turn unless Set spends 2HP (or Fatigued if Set only spends 1HP).

But with the monster dead and no one in danger of attacking anyone else, we can drop out of combat rounds.

Deep Spawn: 25 (Injured, Unconscious, Dead)

Grimalkin: 22 (Transformed, 1HP)

Mister Strix: 20 (Destroyed, 3HP)

Set: 16 (StaggeredDisabled, Transformed, 5HP)

Temperance: 16 (Unharmed, 5HP)

Edited by Grumblefloof

Strix technically can't get any more Destroyed than he already is, but I'll have him roll a Toughness save against a Damage effect with rank equal to the Healing effect now, and I'll apply it to him retroactively once he Regenerates, and give him a Hero Point for the setback.

Toughness save (DC22): 28. Wow, natural 20. Even if I give it a crazy penalty, that still passes.

OK, I'll describe some superficial damage with no in-game effect.

Grimalkin inflicts an Injury condition upon herself to start removing the eyes.

Deep Spawn: 25 (Injured, Unconscious, Dead)

Grimalkin: 22 (Transformed, Injured, 1HP)

Mister Strix: 20 (Destroyed, 4HP)

Set: 16 (StaggeredDisabled, Transformed, 3HP)

Temperance: 16 (Unharmed, 5HP)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I pre-rolled Strix's Recovery checks, and most of them were so low that there's no circumstance bonus I could give which would put him at DC10.

In strict mechanical terms, ingesting blood doesn't have any effect on his Regeneration one way or the other.

But this is cool, so I'll go ahead and handwave and say that bathing him in blood like that heals him back up faster than his 8 failed Recovery checks would have allowed.

Temperance gets a Hero Point for the cool stunt.

In the time it takes Strix to recover, Set has time to use his new Regeneration to heal back up from his Disabled condition.

Condition Summary

Deep Spawn: Injured, Unconscious, Dead

Grimalkin: Transformed, Injured, 1HP

Mister Strix: Unharmed, 4HP

Set: StaggeredTransformed, 3HP

Temperance: Unharmed, 6HP

Sekhmet: Unharmed, shares Set's 3HP

Edited by Grumblefloof
  • 2 weeks later...

Clarification:

The eyes growing out of Set and Grimalkin's flesh are the descriptor for a rank 1 Transform effect. To get rid of them, you need to roll an opposed power check to counter that Transform effect. The descriptor for whatever effect you use to counter it pretty much has to involve physical harm of some kind, gouging or burning or whatevering them out. If you fail to counter the effect, it persists, and the eyes will grow back. If your first attempt fails, you'll need extra effort for new attempts.

Aside from that issue, there's a couple different investigative directions you guys could go in based on what you've learned so far. If they're not clear, let me know and I'll have my GMPC clarify them.

Set gets a Hero Point for the setback.

I'll give Grimalkin a recovery check, since Sekhmet was using her Healing power to counter the Transform.

Recovery check (DC10): 14. With the bonus from Sekhmet's Healing effect, she makes it and loses her last Injury.

The same 5PP of Shapeshift that Set used to Regenerate from their Disabled condition in one minute would allow them to Regenerate from their Staggered condition in a single standard action, roughly 3 seconds, so I'll just assume Set did that.

Updated Condition Summary

Grimalkin: 1HP

Set: Transformed, 4HP

Sekhmet: Unharmed, shares Set's 4HP

Opposed power check: 11. Set's second attempt works.

Condition Summary

Grimalkin: 1HP

Sekhmet: Unharmed, shares Set's 4HP

Set: Fatigued4HP

• 2 weeks later...

Mister Strix uses Hide In Plain Sight to make a Stealth check without any cover, turns into mist, and flies away from the bookstore.

Stealth check: 28.

Anyone who wants to bother whose Notice can meet or beat that sees him dissolve and fly away.

Later, he sneaks into Temperance's hotel room window.

Stealth check: 27.

Anyone who wants to bother whose Notice can meet or beat that sees his mist form seep into the room and solidify.

• 2 weeks later...