Siren Song of The Void (IC)

Amelia

"So, in all your talents for legerdemain and chicanery," said Temperance, letting the water take on a sharper shape for just a second, "did you ever acquire the talent to sense magic?" There was a good chance that the building had more security than their young mountebank was aware of. Temperance was no sorcerer herself, and would probably be just as blind going in unless she kept her eyes open for where the spirits were trying very hard not to step. But if she knew they were both blind to the possible wards and other traps laid onto the apartments, then they could prepare for the possibility of the unknown.

And of course, that's all assuming that this sorceress didn't lay her security system through her tenants. All those eyes and ears... and if she bound them to some oath, then they could be activated against us. I liked The Raid as much as the next girl, but...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

"So, in all your talents for legerdemain and chicanery, did you ever acquire the talent to sense magic?"

"A little? I mean, not really? I know a spell, yeah. Made it easy to find the old man's copy of the book when the old lady paid me to swipe it. But I don't know it that WELL. I can pretty much just do 'Yes/No', not any of the fancy Sherlock Holmes stuff. If some real wizard threw a fire bolt out here, I could find traces of that the next day, but I couldn't tell you what species of bat crap he used to fuel it or what country the cave was in where he scooped it up. And I think I've only used it maybe three times since I learned it. There's a lot of magic in this town, sure, but it's mostly in the hands of people like me who don't really know what we're doing with it. Some of the gangbangers here can cast real spells, and they STILL just use it sling dope on a street corner, 'cause that's just what kinda town this is. And I'm usually the one BRINGING the magic, not LOOKING for it. I know the books have some magic, that's why they're indestructible. The old lady's got some talismans hanging around, but it's mostly stuff I helped her make, and it's NOTHING, it's barely real. Good luck stuff, feng shui chi flow redirection, that kinda crap. Some of 'em are basically just scented air fresheners that you don't have to refill as often. The charm I left in your bathroom, I didn't make that one, I don't know who did, and I don't know what it was for exactly. I figured it was just a bad luck thing, or maybe like a magic firecracker, something to give you a little more encouragement to sell the book. She didn't tell me anything after, and I didn't ask. She got the book. Maybe you caved and decided to sell, maybe she hired a bigger gun than me to play Bad Cop, I didn't know, and, no offense, but I didn't give a damn. I got paid and I got laid. I CLEARLY didn't know who I was messing with, and I'M SORRY! Please don't kill me..."

"All right, then, so I take it you didn't sense whether the building was warded heavily enough to be visible from space," Temperance said. Either that or he didn't catch it, which means we'll need to be vigilant nonetheless. And then there are binding oaths or... God, I've picked up a lot about raw sorcery by osmosis, but in a case like this, I wish we had a learned spellslinger.

Temperance rolled her eyes as obviously as she could, then let the shifting water sluice back into her container. "We're not going to kill you." She looked around. "Well, I'm not. We haven't exactly taken a vote yet. But from now on, I recommend keeping your talents to three-card monte. Lot less likely to get your face bitten off by something from beyond the veil." 

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm not going to kill you either," GothGrim said with a sigh. "But I can't speak for the Egyptian pantheon. Look, whatever you put in my john allowed an eldritch abomination to destroy half my store and steal my personal property; assuming my lawyers can stick anything to your 'sugar momma', you are an accessory to some very serious s###." And then she took a menacing step forward and took hold of his remaining lapel. "And for the record, don't even think of trying to run." She leaned in an took a big sniff of his ghastly aroma of sweat, piss, hair care products and way too much cologne, which nearly made her gag. "Because I've got your scent; we all do. And there is nowhere you can hide." Then she very pointedly picked up the lapel she'd sliced off early and stuck it in her pocket as she sang an alternate version of an old 80s hit.

"Every time I go away, I take a piece of you with me..."