GM

The Thule sorcerer was unable to void Red Lynx's attack and the curved club connected solidly with his head.  The force of the blow caused him to jerk his head forward and he immediately went limp and crumpled to the floor unconscious.

However, the Dakanan prince did not have time to revel in his victory, as one of the Shadow clones moved back to engage him.  Although Red Lynx saw the attack coming and spun to defend himself, the clone’s attack managed to connect with Red Lynx’s chest and he felt a discharge of chilling energy from the blow.

Nearby, the other Shadow clone moved toward Veronica, launching a kick at the teenage Danger.  But Veronica was able to step away from the attack just in time and the clone’s foot was unable to connect as it stepped back half a step to reorient itself after the failed attack.

Down the hallway, Liz could hear some sounds of scuffling coming from the darkness that had descended over her friends.  But then she heard several screams and cries of panic coming from the direction of the Egyptian exhibit….

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That didn't sound good. Neither of those sounded good. Masque physically waffled back and forth between her friends and the commotion before quietly swearing; if she couldn't decide properly, then she'd just have to cheat.

The white-cloaked heroine shimmered back into being as she stepped in two directions at once: one Masque stepped forward, toward the melee, while the other turned toward the long hallway; each had barely the time to put a foot down before they disappeared in a blink of light, one reappearing near the obscured melee and the other vanishing down the hallway toward the exhibit. It cost her time - and both of her winced at the anxious feedback loop that thought caused - but costing time was better than costing her friends or finding herself without better backup than...well. Than herself.

"I'd just made such a cool exit, too," the remaining Masque insisted, metal ball thunking back down against the ground as she stood at the edge of the darkness as if daring it to reveal its secrets. "I'm checking on the exhibit, it sounds bad. I'm also here, though - anybody, um. Know where I can aim?"

Veronica

"I can help with that."  Came Veronica's voice from the darkness.  The teenage Danger then appeared out of the darkness, moving without any sign that the darkness had hampered her.  Reaching out, she touched Masque's arm and suddenly the other teen could see through the darkness as well, spotting Red Lynx and two of the SHADOW clones inside.  One was in melee with Red Lynx, the other was off to one side.

"I will make my way back toward the exhibit to help your other self."  Veronica stated, before she began sprinting down the hallway back toward the exhibit.  Years of the regular physical activity that had come with her travels had made the teen quite a sprinter and she easily crossed the hallway back to where Masque had been fighting some of the SHADOW operatives earlier and then out of sight as she turned a corner.

Facing off against the Shadow trooper as he regained his balance after the strike he didn't even spare a glance for VIctoria before he spoke, "Go. I have thi..."  he smirked beneath his mask as she was already on her way, "Great minds."  he murmured mostly to himself as he squared off against the Agent of Shadow  weapon whirling in the darkness as he advanced steadily.  Unlike the sorcerer's these were more schooled in combat it seemed and he dodged and weaved feinting as he sought an opening to strike and took what opportunities were given as eh probed the agents stance while keeping a wary eye on the remaining infiltrator lest it too move to attack.

GM                                    

Almost as soon as the Shadow clone facing Red Lynx dodged the teen's attack it made a counter attack, trying to catch the Dakanan royal before he could recover from the missed attack.  Lunging forward, the clone swung its glowing fist at the prince, but Red Lynx easily dodged aside, flipping over to one side, trying to circle around the clone.

The other Shadow clone dropped the field of darkness, seeming to realize its opponents were no longer hindered by it.  Just as everything went back to normal, it leapt toward Masque, similarly trying to strike her with a fist shrouded in dark energy.  But the teenager was far too nimble a target, easily dodging the attack.

Further up the hallway, the other Masque continued to hear screaming and confusion further into the north wing of the museum.  A few well-dressed guests came running around one of the corners, clearly fleeing from something…

"Ooh, hey, thanks, that'll - whoop!" Masque slid to the side, using her weapon as counter-balance to avoid the clone's attack. Her face followed the fist as it shot past where her head had been, and when she turned back he was staring down the demon mask. "No. No. I was going to ambush you."

She let herself fall further back, pushing her dodge into a sidestep that brought the chain, and the chain brought the ball, and the ball spun around her body to slam into the clone's stomach. "You need to sleep now, please. The other me is hearing some really bad things and I'd like to go help her and Veronica deal with that. Are you okay, Lynx?"

The 'other me' was, indeed, hearing some bad things - and with what was probably a grateful look at Veronica, she steeled her nerves and blinked on toward the exhibit. Screaming was probably bad - leaping before she looked was probably bad, too, but if she'd learned anything in her brief career it was that if she had to die, at least she'd live to remember it.

Veronica

The Masque heading toward the exhibition teleported further along, appearing in one of the rooms she had previously been in with Veronica and Kam.  There she found people panicking, running through the room toward the start of the exhibit and the exit to the main hall of the wing.  Up ahead of her was an open doorway toward another room, but beyond she could not see anything, only pitch black darkness.  There were some sounds coming from the room, followed by the distinct sound of breaking glass.

Further back in the museum, Veronica continued to sprint through the halls, making her way back toward the exhibit.  As the teenage Danger reached the entrance to the exhibit, she began encountering some of the fleeing guests.  "Don't panic, we are trying to get everything under control!”  She shouted out as she sprinted by.  “Just make your way downstairs and out of the building!"

Entering another room she came upon Masque, or one of them at least.  Up ahead was similar darkness to what had been used on her and Kam, but Veronica's spell still allowed her to see through the darkness.  Moving up beside Masque, Veronica touched one hand to the other teen's shoulder as a faint green glow surrounded her hand.  "This should help."

As with her duplicate, Masque felt the magic surge over her a moment, and then was able to see through the darkness ahead of her.  In the room beyond, the two teens could see three of their opponents, the remaining Thule Society sorcerer and two of the Shadow clones. All three were gathered around a display case in the middle of the room which was now broken.

GM

As the two teens both arrived near the center of the exhibit the Thule sorcerer turned away from the smashed display case toward the pair.  "What does it take to be rid your troublesome teens?"  He cried out, raising a hand as he spoke several arcane words once more. 

As before, a blast of mystical energy streaked out of the palm of his raised hand, aimed this time at Masque.  The sorcerer's aim proved better this time, as the blast struck the teen squarely, the mystical energy surging over her.  "We will not fail!"  The sorcerer cried out, his voice echoing through the nearby rooms.

"I've had worse sparing with my sister."  came the dakanan vigilante's mocking reply as he rounded on the remaining shadowy agent. Completing the dodging maneuver and rolling to his feet with feline grace he surveyed the situation, "He's buying time."  Lynx noted with some concern, "We have to end this quickly."  Kam tested his foes defenses for a moment testing the mans stance and weaknesses of his chosen style preparing to seize the advantage.

" I'm just getting started with you."  he growled as he shot to one side running halfway up the wall to evade the villains attacks.  Daka forged club whirling the red Lynx twisted mid air launching off the wall with the full weight of his sturdy build and behind a brutal strike to the agents midsection.  Tumbling over the mans back as he landed prepared to launch another flurry of attacks should the shadow agent still have fight left in him.

• 2 weeks later...

GM

The Dakana noble's strike hit the Shadow agent with full force, knocking him to the ground.  Once Red Lynx had rolled back up to his feet, he realized the clone was no longer an immediate threat.  With all the opponents that had been present in this section of the museum now down, all that left was those that had moved further in with the last remaining sorcerer, which Masque knew were in the center of the Egyptian exhibit.

Back in the chaos that had erupted in the exhibit, the darkness that had been filling the room dropped, as the two Shadow agents with the sorcerer both stepped forward and sent blasts of dark energy flying at the pair of teenage heroines confronting them.  Veronica brought up a hand deflecting away the blast aimed at her, a faint mystical barrier appearing as the blast impacted with it before being turned away.  The other blast few just shy of Masque but missing none the less. 

The blast to her chest had caught Masque off-guard, but she'd come out no worse for wear...this time. She was a bit more ready for the second one, stepping aside and making a show of brushing burnt cloth off her robe as it flew by. Twice as brave as she felt but half as brave as she wanted them to believe, she closed the distance to the nearest Shadow and slipped a long, thin scepter out of her sleeve.

"You don't get to choose whether your fail!" the young heroine announced. She spun the scepter sideways, driving the head of it across the Shadow's guard and into his temple with more force than a thin piece of blackened wood should probably carry. "The exhibit is now closed. No evil today!"

Masque's meteor hammer snapped back up into her robe, weightlessly disappearing as if it had never existed in the first place. "Nice!" she said, pumping a fist. "Started and finished. C'mon - they might need backup."

Veronica Danger

After avoiding the attack aimed at her, Veronica's gaze focused briefly on the case in the middle of the room the Shadow operatives were gathered around.  In particular she was focused on one particular object within the case, looking at it as if she were seeing it for the first time.

Then Masque moved up and took down one of the Shadow clones, and Veronica snapped her attention back to the fight.  Taking a step forward, she raised one hand again, sending a blast of green eldritch energy at the remaining Shadow clone.  The blast struck the clone squarely in the chest, causing him to stagger back a couple of steps, but he remained on his feet and focused on the teenage Danger.

While Veronica was not exactly pleased with the result of her attack, she did not let that deter her as she focused on the remaining sorcerer.  "You heard my friend.  You are not going to win here, so make it easy for yourselves and surrender."

GM

The Thule Sorcerer scowled at Masque, taking half a step away from her as he focused his gaze back on Veronica.  "You do not even know what it is you found in that long lost tomb."  He stated.  "You are not worthy of the secrets it still contains."  The sorcerer was just starting to raise his hand to attack the teenage Danger when he saw the other Masque and Red Lynx come running around a corner at enter into one of the earlier rooms of the exhibit.

Letting out a small sigh, the man lowered his hand as he reached into his robes and removed a small device.  "But it appears we have underestimated you and failed to account for the possibility you would have allies.  We will not do so again."  Raising up the device, he pressed what appeared to be a button located at the top.  Just then, the Shadow clone that Veronica had injured went rigged as he cried out in pain before crumpling to the floor.  The clone that Masque had just knocked to the ground and was just conscious also reacted similarly before going limp. 

The sorcerer then wove a spell, and disappeared from sight in a cloud of black shadow… 

Red Lynx rounded the corner on the heels of one of the Masques not slowing in his sprint as he charged for the Shadow Agents only to have them collapse before he could reach them.  "Underestimating your foes is core to what it is to be of your order I doubt this event will stop you more than your prior embarrassments."  The Dakanan replied to the dissipating sorcerer as he looked to his comrades and the civilians gauging injuries before ducking to examine the fallen agents and render what aid he could though he suspected the nefarious malefactor had harmed them beyond his meager skills.

As he examined them he inquired to Victoria, "What were they after?"  he inquired curiously clearly it was more than a simple historical curiosity.  

Veronica

Red Lynx found the Shadow agent he moved up to examine completely unresponsive, noting no sign of breathing or other any trace of a heartbeat.  Veronica had moved up closer to the smashed case, studying a golden mask contained within.

"Veronica…"  Began Prudence, the personal assistant assigned to the Danger cousins while they were at Claremont.

Veronica held up one hand to stop her PA.  "Prudence, help the staff get the guests to the lower levels and safety.  Then I need to speak with Mr. Wright."

For a moment it seemed as if Prudence was going to disagree, but then she moved away, starting to direct any remaining guests out of the exhibit.

"It is Sanakht's burial mask."  Veronica replied to Red Lyxn's question.  "I have not seen for a few years, the last time I did it was before my abilities had…awakened."

"The mask resonates with magic, not particularly strong, but steady.  It…it is some sort of key."

"I'm full up on masks," said Masque - she'd been approaching the case to peer at the target of their villains' avarice, but now she drew back, holding both hands up like she was trying to placate the thing. "One mask is great, but it's plenty for me, thanks! I only have the one face, and all."

The other Masque, catching up with Lynx, cocked her head at the unspoken flaw in that statement. 

"....well, okay, sometimes I have two faces, but that isn't - that's not - you stop that."

The other Masque shrugged, gave a deep and flourishing bow at the waist, and dissolved into light like sand before the wind.

"I didn't mean...fiiine," the young magician said, drawing a hand down her face in mock exasperation at...herself? She turned back to the others. "Okay, so, it's a key. What's it a key to, though? I'm betting those guys knew, if they wanted it badly to hit this place while so many people were around."

Standing slowly Red Lynx shook his head at the all too still form of the clone at his feet.  "Shadow is not known for it's particular concern for collateral damage."  he pointed out to masque as he turned to regard the mask.  "Entry is easier during a showing and hostages available should they be needed."  he grimaced in distaste beneath his mask but the implacable feline visage would only make hte words sound harsher for the lack of visible expression.  "Another area of the tomb perhaps?"  he inquired of Victoria as he looked her way, "Was the expedition able to use sonography to map the site?"  His expectations of what was normal for an academic expedition seemed to be somewhat out of keeping with the reality as even a well funded researcher team such as victoria's parents was unlikely to have access to such equipment without particular reason.

He nodded to his classmates as the sirens rose in the distance, "If you require further aid you have but to ask."  he assured them both and nodded quietly before whispering, "It is probably best if I rejoin the group before the police arrive."  he informed them and if no objections were raised he'd vanish into the museum before his activities risked a diplomatic incident.

Veronica

Veronica had to agree with Masque that the Thule sorcerers involved in the attempted heist likely knew more about the burial mask than she currently felt she did.  As Red Lynx mentioned Shadow's lack of concern for collateral damage, the teenage Danger nodded her head.  "Yeah, Shadow is hardly known for its restraint.  From what I understand from Uncle Ace, the clones they use are equipped with a sort of 'self destruct.'  Which is likely what the sorcerer triggered in these two."  Veronica indicated the two dead Shadow clones near the destroyed display case.

She focused her attention back onto the mask and gave a small nod at Red Lynx's suggestion as to what the mask might be a key for.  "That sounds like a logical place to start investigating.  We were not able to take any sonographic readings of the tomb at the time we were there.  If there are some other chambers, there were no sign of them last time, but it may be more apparent to me now than it was then."  Veronica gave a small nod as Red Lynx mentioned rejoining the crowd to quell any suspicion on his disappearance. 

The teenage Danger then looked back over toward Masque.  "So seems like I will need to see about arranging for a trip back to the dig site in Egypt.  Up for a little excursion if I can get things set up?"

"Ooh! Yes, definitely," Masque said, perking back up. She'd flicked her scepter up to hold it lengthwise between her palms, and now she simply clapped her hands together, the length of it disappearing like so much legerdemain. "I am almost certain I can convince people to let me do that, or sneak away if I have to. That sounds amazing, and after all this I'm happy to help any way I can."

Her own mention of 'all this' brought her back from future adventures to the present, and she cast a guilty look around the exhibit floor. "I, um, should probably go find a place to change back, too. If my parents hear about this on the news they're going to blow a valve if they can't reach me, and that's going to be any moment now. I'll catch up with you and Ouro!"

The accompanying salute was the last bit of her that vanished into thin air.

GM

It did not take Liz long to catch back up with Kam, who had already changed back to the attire he had worn to the presentation and exhibit.  The two managed to blend back into the crowd that had begun gathering down on the main level as the police arrived and began taking statements.  Several museum employees were moving through the crowd, checking to ensure no one was injured and offering apologies for the disruption of the evening. 

Once guests had their statements taken, they were directed out of the museum.  When an officer was about to take Liz and Kam out, Prudence appeared to stop the two.  "These two are guests of Ms. Danger."  Prudence explained to the officer.  "They will be returning to their boarding school with her once she is finished, so they can remain here until then."

Veronica

Veronica remained up by the damaged display case, keeping an eye on the burial mask as the police arrived to take her statement and photograph the areas where the dead Shadow clones were located.  The teenage Danger did not leave until she had a chance to meet with Mr. Wright and convince him that the burial mask had to be removed from the exhibit and held in a more secure location until she and other could investigate its unusual properties.

Eventually she made her way back down to where Liz and Kam were waiting in the now mostly deserted lower level of the museum, just Prudence, a few museum staff and two police officers to keep them company.  Soon the three teens were in the back of a limousine Prudence had called to take them back to Claremont, with Prudence sitting up front with the driver. 

"Well, I got them to pull the mask from the exhibit and get it down the vault for the short term.  Tomorrow I need to call my Aunt Rachel and get her help in reaching out to DI’s contacts at the Museum of Cairo and the Imhotep Museum to discuss the situation.  We will also start working on trying to get access to the dig site to further investigate whether there is anything there we did not uncover during the initial exploration."

Kam quietly flashed his passport and related documents to the officers drawing a few odd looks before being excused and thankfully corralled by Prudence.  He took a moment to call the relevant authorities at the embassy to forwarm them of his presence at the event and hopefully fend off any overeations from diplomatic staff or worse his parents.

In the car he relaxed with an easy smile, "Well never let it be said you're a boring associate Ms. Danger."  he teased lightly as she relayed what she knew.   Kam paused thoughtfully for a long moment, "Do let me know if you think my aid would smooth or complicate matters in that regard."  he offered as the weight of the Dakanan Royal house could open many doors but would likely cause more stir than Danger Industries digging in musty tombs would.

Liz had been...somewhat less fortunate, having no credentials or family name to speak of, but what she did have were big grey eyes, and an innocent face, and an endearing story about how awful it had been and how she'd just managed to make it into a bathroom and listened to everything happen and wasn't it just horrible and weren't they all so lucky that those great heroes had shown up when they did, officer?

"I'm not much good for politics, but I'll help with any research we want to do," she offered, smoothing her dress in the back of the limo. She'd never been in a limo. She could get used to it. "Count me in on the trip, though, if you'll have me! If this was just a museum, can you imagine the real thing?"

Veronica

Veronica gave a small smile when Kam teased about her not being boring.  When he offered to provide assistance in trying to clear permission to revisit the dig site to further investigate the robbery attempt, a thoughtful look came to the teenage Danger's face.  "If it comes to that it would be appreciated Kam.  I will mention it to Aunt Rachel when I am able to talk to her tomorrow."

She then gave Liz a smile.  "I will take you up on the offer to research Liz.  We are going to need to get the mask somewhere safe and secure.  Once we do, I will see about us having a chance go look at it more closely for some time to see what else we might be able to learn."

"I do not know when we will be able to get this all organized, but I will be sure to include both of you on the list of those involved.  I imagine the Thule Society is not going to give up on this so easily."

Kam smiled lightly to elizabeth, "I think she does not have too imagine actually."  ribbing her in a light friendly fashion.  He nodded politely to Veronica at her acceptance of his offer and sighed deeply, "They will not, we shall have to be vigilant."  he agreed readily and looked out the window for a long moment.  "I worry."  he shook his head and waved off the concern, "It is paranoid but after all that he seemed to give up so easily and to lead you on the path to further explore the tomb..."  he shrugged it could be a trap though that was hardly going to stop a Danger.  "This is I think why my family says I am no fun at parties yes?"  he joked trying to lighten the mood once more.