Dance Away The Heartache

Heritage

Millennium nightclub. Saturday, October 13th, 2018. 8:05 pm

The night was cold and dark, which fit the way Lynn Epstein felt today; it had been thirteen days since Gretchen moved the last of her stuff out, other than one drawer in the bedroom on the off chance she visited and wanted to spend the night, which had happened exactly twice. Of course, with but a moment's thought she could reach out across two thousand plus miles, and tell the girl she loved how she felt, and she did from time to time. But Gretchen didn't always respond, and that felt worse than dying...

So here she was! Millenium was one of Lynn's favorite clubs to work back when she was scamming guys in the 2000s; it's location near the major banks and trading houses meant lots of well-dressed, Gordon Gecko-wannabes with lots of cash. The nice ones she threw back into the sea after a pleasant night of drinks and dancing, but she took the real douchebags for all she could. The place looked pretty much the same, all polished chrome and recessed lighting, and the pulse of techno thumped down from the dance floors upstairs.

Lynn was seated at the bar, nursing a Long Island ice tea as she tapped one foot to the beat; it took a lot of effort to get out of the store, and even more to be in a place this loud and public, but she knew she needed a change. She was thankful that Megan was free to come out and cheer her up, which she desperately needed tonight. God, when was the last time she'd hit a nightclub? It had to be decades ago, or at least since she'd been in one like this; back on Bill's world, they were all saloons.

To get into the the mood for dancing, the changeling spent a lot of time on her look for the evening, conjuring up a bright red strapy dress that showed of a lot of leg, back and shoulder, and a pair of black low-heeled shoes that were a nice balance between sexy and comfortable. Her hair was much shorter than it had been for some time, 'cut' just past her jawline, and it was straight with a bit of wave and a lot of bounce. Overall, combined with her 'makeup' and a few other aesthetic refinements, Lynn looked almost ten years younger than when she'd left the store this afternoon; she was heading back out into it, and determined to make a splash.

Edited by Heritage

Megan

Megan made her way into the Millennium from the entrance, striding confidently into the are containing the main bar.  A small smile came to the attractive blonde's mouth as she looked out over the familiar sleek décor, which reflected the various colors of neon light in a wild patter of colors.  Megan could recall one of her first trips to the club, back when she was still at North Bay Academy, having gotten tired of places such as the Midnight Hour.

It had been awhile since Megan had been out to a club such as this, with family and other responsibilities taking up time.  She and Robert managed to get out somewhat regularly, but usually to much more formal events than nightclubs.  But she had received a call from Lynn who had jokingly activated the Velo-Light” and asked Megan to join her.  Only this time instead of commiserating over double chocolate ice cream, they were going out for drinks and dancing, something Megan was more than happy to do for her old friend.

Tonight the attractive blonde had chosen a black sequin bandaged mini-dress that hugged her curves almost as much as her costume as Velocity, along with a matching clutch and a pair of black heels. 

Paying little heed to the attention she was receiving from some of those nearby, Megan quickly scanned the room, managing to do so in a fraction of the time it would take most.  Spotting Lynn over by the bar, Megan made her way over, giving her friend a smile and a hug as she arrived.  "Hey Lynn!"  Standing back and taking the seat next to the other woman, Megan glanced over to the bartender who had come over.  "A Cosmo please."  She asked, then looking back to her friend.

"You look fantastic!"  She said with a genuine smile, choosing to focus on other topics for now.

At the sight of her socialite friend, who always looked like a million bucks, Lynn brightened up as she got to her feet. "Hey, you!" The changeling didn't do polite hugs and air kisses; she gave 'bubbie' hugs that warmed your soul and left you short of breath. "Mmmmm, it's so good to see you!" She look a step back to take in Megan's outfit, shaking her head in admiration. "My God, you are killing it in that dress!"

At the mention of her own look, Lynn ran her fingers through her and shrugged with false modesty. "Oh, well, y'know; just a little something I whipped up on the spur of the moment. Nothing major." But then she couldn't fake it anymore, and a huge grin split her face. "I know, right? God, it feels so great to get out and strut my stuff! I missed this so much!"

Megan

"Thank you, it has been awhile since I have been able to wear something like this myself."  Megan replied when Lynn commented on her outfit.  "Evening dresses and gowns are nice and all, but it is nice to get a sleek change of pace, particularly for a night of dancing."

Taking an empty seat next to her friend as she waited for her drink, a broad smile came to the blonde's face as Lynn first made light of her look and then admitted to how good she felt to be out as well.  Megan was glad to see her friend seemed to be doing better, hoping it was not just a brave façade.  "Well, I believe you are accomplishing your goal of strutting your stuff!"  She replied.

Taking a sip of her drink after the bartender delivered it, Megan glanced out towards the dark, shadowy parts of the room filled with dozens of other club goers.  "So, going to be up for making our way onto the dance floor soon?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Mmm, let me finish this drink first," said Lynn as she took another sip through her straw. "Despite my bravado, I do need a bit more courage; I haven't been clubbing in literally decades." The changeling looked around the sea of faces, feeling desperately old despite her outward appearance. She'd been a wife, mother and grandmother for years offworld before her return to Prime, then dated an introvert who loathed crowds. Saying her old clubbing skills were a bit rusty was an understatement; they were downright ossified.

But then she closed her eyes, and let the rhythm and alcohol work their magic. She took a deep breath and reminded herself that she was more than just an old Jewish bubbe; she was also an ageless faerie princess who could steal the heart of any mortal man or woman, a creature out of legend who set pulses racing with but a glance or smile. She picked up her Long Island, drained it with one long draw (not having to breathe had many uses), then firmly slammed the empty glass back on the bar.

"F### it, I'm Lord of the Dance; let's do this sh##."

Edited by Heritage

Megan

Megan gave a small nod of understanding as Lynn mentioned needing to build up a bit of courage before heading out to the dance floor.  She took a sip of her own drink as she watched her friend, wanting to make sure that Lynn was not trying to find a way to avoid dancing altogether.  The blonde's fear was quickly proven unfounded, as Lynn then downed her drink and announced she was ready to head out to the floor.  Megan took a long drink herself, before setting down the half-finished drink.

"That’s the spirit!"  She replied as they booth stood up.  Wrapping one arm around Lynn's, Megan started the pair towards the dance floor, weaving their way through the crowd.

Soon enough they had found a way out to the middle of the floor, Megan releasing Lynn's arm as she faced her friend and quickly found the rhythm of the current dance song playing.

The two friends hit the floor, and it was a very interesting contrast to see them dance side by side. Megan, who studied gymnastics and dance from a young age, knew her body and what it was capable of, and even going through the movements of modern, casual dance was to see poetry in motion. For her part, while Lynn had no formal dance training (though she'd done gymnastics as a child), her infectious enthusiasm and vitality gave her simple movements a thrilling fire, and a body literally made of glamour in motion is something to behold. Together, they were easily the most captivating dancers on the floor, and they were enjoying themselves immensely.

Then a pulsing dance track that Lynn recalled from an old vampire movie soundtrack began to throb out of the speakers, and she grinned in delight as she began to jump up and down. 

"Yes! I freakin' love this track!"

Edited by Heritage
  • 1 month later...

Megan

As Megan and Lynn reached the dancefloor, it took only moments for Megan to match up her movements with the beat of the music, the process all but second nature to her.  But Megan was hardly just going through the motions.  No, she fully let herself feel the rhythm and beats of the music, allowing it to guide her movements, an task made rather easier by the speed with which she could process the sounds.  Of course, she still had to keep herself moving at a normal speed to stay with the music, one of the reasons she enjoyed dancing, as it forced her to stay at a normal pace.

She glanced over toward Lynn, smiling as she saw her friend’s enthusiasm, particularly when New Order's Confusion came on.  Megan quickly adjusted her movements to the new beat of the older song, moving with practiced ease.  Around the pair, several of the others on the dancefloor were starting to take notice of them.

• 3 weeks later...

After a good fifteen minutes of mindless, wonderful dancing with a good friend, Lynn felt like taking a break; not because she was tired (in truth, she had more than enough energy to keep going), but because she realized that more than anything, she wanted to talk to someone about what was going on. Pointing back towards their table, she shouted over the music.

"Let's sit a few out! We haven't talked in ages!" Once they were off the floor, she signaled their waitress for another round. "Oh, that felt good! But I do feel like chatting a bit, if you're up for it. I could use a little help processing all of this."

Edited by Heritage

Megan

Time seemed to go so slow for Megan when she danced, but she loved to do so regardless, as the music and keeping to the beat required her to stay focused on moving at normal speed.  But despite how long fifteen minutes seemed to be, the young woman could have continued dancing for far longer, hand Lynn not decided to take a break.

Megan wasted no time nodding as Lynn indicated she wanted to go back to their table for a bit, and followed after her friend as they left the dance floor, much to the disappointment of some of the young men that had been maneuvering to be around the two.  Once they were seated, Megan gave a small nod as Lynn explained her desire to talk.

"I can totally understand that, it has been some time since we have really been able to talk."