Sandman XI (Silver) - Quark - PL13 Hero (NPC Tier 2)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Er, its supposed to be contruction checks. not design checks. Sorry about that.

All this time you've had me under the belief that it was applying to the design checks, which is one check (Know/Tech). If it is applying to the construction checks, then that can't be one feat, you'll need one Ultimate Effort for each individual Craft skill.

Is "limited to building things" not suitably limited? He can't repair with it. He can't glean any information with it. He can't do demolitions with it. He can't make forgeries with it. He can only build things. Would "Craft (limited to Inventing)" be better? With that he couldn't even make normal things

Something else just occurred to me. And, no, it's not something you'll need to rearrange points on, it's just a name thing. ;)

This

Empowerment 4 (20 points; Extra: Duration/Continuous; Flaw: Action/Full Round, Only Affects Objects; Power Feat: Innate) [25pp]

Is pretty much the same as this

Gadgets 4 (20 points, "Hard to Lose"; Flaw: Action/Full round to reconfigure; PF: Innate) [25pp]

The first line in the Gadgets power says "You can produce a wide variety of Devices (see the Device power) essentially at will," which is pretty much exactly what you've been describing. And by "Hard to Lose," it means that while you need something for your mojo to work on, his mojo can work on so many things that the only way to deprive him of it is to stick him someplace that has absolutely nothing with which he can work, which is IMO roughly equivalent to "can only be taken away when you're helpless." And Gadgets are Continuous by default.

Also, it looks neater. ;)

Now I'm thinking, those may be two different things. Example: Quark has Geckoman's Zappers. With Empowerment, he can make the zappers shoot faster (autofire), harder (more ranks in blast), give it a targeting program (accurate feats), and a setting where it "reverses the polarity" (AP Personal Healing). Now with Gadgets, would I be able to do the same thing?

Now I'm thinking, those may be two different things. Example: Quark has Geckoman's Zappers. With Empowerment, he can make the zappers shoot faster (autofire), harder (more ranks in blast), give it a targeting program (accurate feats), and a setting where it "reverses the polarity" (AP Personal Healing). Now with Gadgets, would I be able to do the same thing?

Yes (though I'd be leery of the Healing in either case).

Oi vey.

If the Pl 10 150 Quark with his int /40/ and so forth is but an example of a member of this race in immature development, and there are /hundreds/ of these dudes, all walking the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.. you might see my problem, I hope.

I mean, they'd basically be incarnated technological and magical gods before whom the stuff even the Utopians and Ultimen in terms of their accomplishments would be as nothing. You'd wonder why Centurion would have even needed to sacrifice himself to the Omega and all various such other things that have occured. or why Earth has even needed its Master Mages.

The Terminus Invasion was like Crisis on Infinite Earths, right? So I've been thinking (with the help of others) what if Quark's reality got squished together in after the Crisis? Meaning, he is technically human, but a different type. Seeing as the invasion happened before he was born that would have given his race time to settle into the new setting. Sound good?

Another idea: Quark's People, an offshoot of humanity, long ago found a way into a pocket dimesnion that they came to call home. The conditions there were such that they could devote more time to developing their minds and scientific skills. For millennia they were stuck there, only able to return to Earth through naturally-occuring and largely random short-lived portals, but in time they learned to better predict and eventually create their own. But, for some reason, when they saw how Earth had gone on in their absence, they decided not to all move back to their old home, and instead most stayed in their pocket realm. A handful would cross over evey century or so to keep an eye on things and report back, and every once in a while a human would stumble into the pocket realm just as their ancestors had.

Quark's an anomlay, because A) he seems to like staying on Earth, B) seems to be determined to help the people of Earth, C) is by some quirk a genius even among his people (like Brainiac 5), and D) seems to prefer practical invention over theoretical work (i.e., has high ranks in craft skills, something else B-5 shares).