Sandman XI (Silver) - Quark - PL13 Hero (NPC Tier 2)

Power Level: 13 (191/192)

Trade-Offs: None

Unspent PP: 1

Progress to Gold: 60/90

Characters Name: Not known. Empyrean language is so analytical that the name they gave him would fill a page.

Alternate Identity: Quark, Darian Cale

Height: 5'7"

Weight: 130 lbs.

Hair: chromatic

Eyes: golden

Description: Quark doesn't look like your average teenager. The technicolor hair and golden eyes being the most outstanding part of him. He's a bit short and lean for his age too. He has fair skin with light freckles all over. His hair is thick and a bit shabby and almost rests on his shoulders when he doesn't have it in a rubberband. He dresses in what some would call 'business casual': loafers, slacks, belt and polo shirt (though sometimes a white t-shirt with an unbuttoned short sleeved dress shirt). He also is never seen without a messenger bag full of notes and gadgets to work with.

History:

Personality & Motivation: "Take chances. Make mistakes. Get messy." "To boldly go where no one has gone before." These are words to live by for Darian. The pursuit of knowledge is the pursuit of happiness to him. He wants to learn everything that he doesn't know. Nothing is too out there for him to find. Why does he do this? For knowledge's sake, of course. Though, throughout all this, he's kept a humble and polite attitude. He's almost a bit shy when other people are around, taking in everything he can in quiet observation.

Powers & Tactics: Darian has no real powers in a sense. He has a near cosmic level intellect. He's taught himself every language known to man and then some not known to man. He's also taught himself to decipher codes instantly.If he had a power in the traditional sense, it would be "MacGuyvering". Give him up to about 4 minutes and he'll have a magical trinket or scientific gadget. He even knows various forms of nuanced magic. As for tactics, he's not the one in the front. He can arm a companion, but when push comes to shove, he has to have preptime to arm himself.

Stats: 0+0+0+36+0+0 = 36pp

Str: 10 (+0)

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 10/38 (+0/+14)

Int: 46 (+18)

Wis: 10 (+0)

Cha: 10 (+0)

Combat: 20+0 = 20pp

Attack: +10

Grapple: +10

Defense: +12 (+6 flat-footed), +0 without Protective Undersuit

Knockback: -7, +0 without Protective Undersuit

Initiative: +18

Saves: 0+0+18 = 18pp

Toughness: +14 (+14 Con, +0)

Fortitude: +14 (+14 Con, +0)

Reflex: +0 (+0 Dex, +0)

Will: +18 (+0 Wis, +18)

Skills: 162/164r = 41pp

Computers 18 (+36)

Craft (chemical) 18 (+36)

Craft (electronics) 18 (+36)

Craft (mechanical) 18 (+36)

Craft (structural) 18 (+36)

Disable Device 18 (+36)

Knowledge (arcane lore) 18 (+36)

Knowledge (physical sciences) 18 (+36)

Knowledge (technology) 18 (+36)

Feats: 19pp

Artificer

Benefit (Super Memory)

Eidetic Memory

Equipment 2

Improvised Tools

Inventor

Jack of All Trades

Luck 4

Ritualist

Speed of Thought

Ultimate Effort 5 (Craft [chemical], Craft [electronics], Craft [mechanical], Craft [structural], Knowledge [arcane lore])

Powers: 9+44+6 = 59pp

Comprehend 4 (speak all languages, understand all languages, read all languages, understand all codes; Power Feat: Innate) [9pp]

Device 11 (Protection Undersuit; Hard to lose) [44pp]

Quickness 10 (x2500; Flaw: One Type/mental; Power Feat: Innate) [6pp]

Devices:

Protection Undersuit: 55 dp

Enhanced Defense 12 (Extras: Linked/Enhanced Constitution 28, Linked/Immunity 2 [critical hits]) [54dp]

Drawbacks: 2pp

Vulnerability (mental effects, +1 DC; common, minor; -2)

Costs: Abilities (36) + Combat (20) + Saves (18) + Skills (41) + Feats (19) + Powers (59) - Drawbacks (2) = 191/192pp

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As written, the Comprehend only lets other folks you touch communicate with machines, not you (all Devices have a version of "Affects Others" built in that allows the user/wearer to access the Device's powers). Is this what you want?

Also, as written, the Quark Relic cannot transfer the abilities of robots, since they've got an Immunity to Fort effects. Is this okay? Just what is the QR (described in an in-character way)?

Is English his native language? There's not one listed, and I don't want to assume ;)

Being effectively PL 2 in terms of defense/toughness is gonna hurt you. Sure, if you can transfer some Protection from a battlesuit you'll be better off, but surviving to get to do so is gonna be tricky (especially with only a +2 to hit).

Ditto on the lack of saves.

And these Techmagi... who are they? What do they want? (Answers to these 'fluff' questions can lead to Complications, and give folks something to work with.)

As written, the Comprehend only lets other folks you touch communicate with machines, not you (all Devices have a version of "Affects Others" built in that allows the user/wearer to access the Device's powers). Is this what you want?
Fixed.
Also' date=' as written, the Quark Relic cannot transfer the abilities of robots, since they've got an Immunity to Fort effects. Is this okay? Just what is the QR (described in an in-character way)?[/quote']I wanted it to be something like a techstaff that transformed into a honkin huge cannon (something like Starman's/Stargirl's staff into something like Iron Man's Proton Cannon from MvC). I do have a question though, is "because it's drawing from the very essence of one's being" good enough reason to have Alternate Save (Toughness)?

I wanted it to be something like a techstaff that transformed into a honkin huge cannon (something like Starman's/Stargirl's staff into something like Iron Man's Proton Cannon from MvC). I do have a question though, is "because it's drawing from the very essence of one's being" good enough reason to have Alternate Save (Toughness)?

No.

Well, actually, let me take that back.

What does the QR target: a person or their Devices? Does it transfer innate mutant abilities, or technological ones, or both? Would it work on the Fantastic Four? On Dr. Doom? On Ultron? On Batman? On Superman? On Metallo? On Captain Marvel (either the Marvel or DC one)?

What does the QR target: a person or their Devices?
The Quark Relic operates on the principle that all "powers" are either tech or magic. It wouldn't drain anything off of Tony Stark or Batman, yet the Iron Man suit and the Batmobile are a different story. As is Wolverine, he's got powers, it would drain them. Basically The Quark Relic screwed against any normal character.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've edited the sheet to bring it more in line to the standard we're trying to maintain here.

I changed one thing: the save for his Mimic. Since a Resisted Mimic has a Will save as its default, the base is 10 + Modifier. Changing it to a Toughness save doesn't alter that base (just like changing things from a Toughness save to something else doesn't alter the base 15+mod Toughness save), so it's a DC 20 (10+10) Toughness save, not 25 (15+10).

Also, Long Range-only Teleports cannot have the Easy power feat.

Is the Mimic supposed to be all powers (4pp/rank), or all traits (5pp/rank)? It says all powers, but if so, you've still got 10 more points to spend. (You could knock off two ranks of Device and use those 8pp for some saves.)

The Normal Identity drawback applies to all powers, not just some.

I've edited the sheet to bring it more in line to the standard we're trying to maintain here.
Looks a lot more professional too :)
I changed one thing: the save for his Mimic. Since a Resisted Mimic has a Will save as its default' date=' the base is 10 + Modifier. Changing it to a Toughness save doesn't alter that base (just like changing things from a Toughness save to something else doesn't alter the base 15+mod Toughness save), so it's a DC 20 (10+10) Toughness save, not 25 (15+10).[/quote']Understandable.

To come clean with this, I was making it to teleport to two places: The Quark Lair (for suiting up/de-suiting) and where ever I was before I teleported to The Quark Lair (to the action). I am open for suggestions on how to run this.

At first I thought of the Anchor flaw (from ULTIMATE POWER): Teleport with the Anchor flaw can only be used to teleport to a specific place or object; you can change the anchor point by spending one minute at the new anchor site. This would work for being able to teleport to your Lair, but not back out to where he was before (he'd have to walk or fly back to the site and then he could attune to it).

(And, no, you can't have Teleport [Anchor/Lair] with an AP of Teleport [Anchor/Where he last was], no more than you could have Blast [Only vs. Men] with an AP of Blast [Only vs. Women]. It's too cheap.)

Also, I'm not sure "No Extra Weight" is really worth a full Flaw, especially if the Suit does not count as "Extra Weight". It could be a Drawback, though.

I would suggest having the Lair be in another dimension (Isolated), and for the watch to have Super-Movement (dimensional)... but I can't recall if Dimensional Movement is a banned power here.

You're right!

That... doesn't really answer the question ;) Do you want All Powers, or All Traits?

So, I'm guessing the combination battlesuit/gadgeteer won't work? Also, the sleep immunity is a racial thing, would that go away too?

Oh, no, Battlesuit/Gadgeteer combos can work -- instead of Normal Identity, use Power Loss for that Device. At best, it'd be worth one pp less than the comparable Normal Identity drawback, since you're just losing that one power, not everything. And in your case, where he's got a watch which lets him Teleport to his Suit, it'd be worth even less of a drawback.

If the Immunity to Sleep is a racial thing, you may want to consider slapping Innate on it.

I would suggest having the Lair be in another dimension (Isolated), and for the watch to have Super-Movement (dimensional)... but I can't recall if Dimensional Movement is a banned power here.
Good idea, hopefully it's not banned, because that's what I'll do if it's not. I can even come up with a reason for it :P
That... doesn't really answer the question ;) Do you want All Powers' date=' or All Traits?[/quote']It's "all powers", the 4 point version.

This

Should be this

Done
I see that of the 10pp freed up, 5 were spent on the "Protective Undersuit," and 1 to make his Immunity to Sleep innate. What'd the other 4 get spent on?
Power Loss (which is now Action) used to be Normal Identity. There's three points right there. As for the last point, I'm stumped :o

For the two points I have open, I have a plan. It would be a two point Feature that would give him two points of Equipment at all times. Basically, he has these little orbs (that I have yet to find a suitable name for) with him that turn into useful things. Only Equipment though. Is this OK?

• 7 months later...

Players Name: Sandman XI

Power Level: 11 (165/176 pp)

Trade-Offs: N/A

Unspent PP: 11

Platinum: 49/60

Characters Name: Darian Cale

Alternate Identity: Quark

Height: 5'7"

Weight: 130 lbs

Hair: chromatic

Eyes: golden

Description: Quark doesn't look like your average teenager. The technicolor hair and golden eyes being the most outstanding part of him. He's a bit short and lean for his age too. He has fair skin with light freckles all over. His hair is thick and a bit shabby and almost rests on his shoulders when he doesn't have it in a rubberband. He dresses in what some would call 'business casual': loafers, slacks, belt and polo shirt (though sometimes a white t-shirt with an unbuttoned short sleeved dress shirt). He also is never seen without a messenger bag full of notes and gadgets to work with.

History: Quark's People, an offshoot of humanity, long ago found a way into a pocket dimension that they came to call home. The conditions there were such that they could devote more time to developing their minds and scientific skills. For millennia they were stuck there, only able to return to Earth through naturally-occurring and largely random short-lived portals, but in time they learned to better predict and eventually create their own. But, for some reason, when they saw how Earth had gone on in their absence, they decided not to all move back to their old home, and instead most stayed in their pocket realm. A handful would cross over every century or so to keep an eye on things and report back, and every once in a while a human would stumble into the pocket realm just as their ancestors had.

Quark's an anomaly, because A) he seems to like staying on Earth, B) seems to be determined to help the people of Earth, C) is by some quirk a genius even among his people, and D) seems to prefer practical invention over theoretical work.

Stats: 32pp

Str: 10 (+0)

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 10/34 (+0/+12)

Int: 42 (+16)

Wis: 10 (+0)

Cha: 10 (+0)

Combat: 14pp

Attack: +7

Grapple: +7

Defense: +10 (+5 flat-footed), +0 without Protective Undersuit

Knockback: -6, +0 without Protective Undersuit

Initiative: +16

Saves: 20pp

Toughness: +12 (+12 Con, +0)

Fortitude: +12 (+12 Con, +0)

Reflex: +10 (+0 Dex, +10)

Will: +10 (+0 Wis, +10)

Skills: 144r = 36pp

Computers 16 (+32)

Craft (chemical) 16 (+32)

Craft (electronics) 16 (+32)

Craft (mechanical) 16 (+32)

Craft (structural) 16 (+32)

Disable Device 16 (+32)

Knowledge (arcane lore) 16 (+32)

Knowledge (physical sciences) 16 (+32)

Knowledge (technology) 16 (+32)

Feats: 18pp

Artificer

Benefit (Super Memory)

Eidetic Memory

Improvised Tools

Inventor

Jack of All Trades

Luck 5

Ritualist

Speed of Thought

Ultimate Effort 5 (Craft [chemical], Craft [electronics], Craft [mechanical], Craft [structural], Knowledge [arcane lore])

Powers: 51pp

Comprehend 4 (speak all languages, understand all languages, read all languages, understand all codes; Power Feat: Innate) [9pp]

Device 9 (Protection Undersuit; Hard to lose) [36pp]

Quickness 10 (x2500; Flaw: One Type/mental; Power Feat: Innate) [6pp]

Devices:

Protection Undersuit: 45 points

Enhanced Defense 10 (Extra: Linked/Enhanced Constitution 24; Power Feat: Alternate Power 1)

AP: Container 9 (Drawback: Action/Move)

Drawbacks: 6pp

Vulnerability (demonic powers, x2 DC; common, major; -4)

Vulnerability (mental effects, +1 DC; common, minor; -2)

Costs: Abilities (32) + Combat (14) + Saves (20) + Skills (36) + Feats (18) + Powers (51) - Drawbacks (6) = 165/176

Something unfortunate has popped into my head.

Game Rules Clarifications and "House Rules":

9. Variable Powers (VPs), such as Mimic or Shapeshift, are not allowed as Alternate Powers in an Array. VPs have a big overhead cost because they're so versatile; when you bury it in an Array, the cost is effectively meaningless, because when you don't need the versatility you simply switch the Array and convert all that overhead cost into another, higher-ranked power.