Checking In

Thevshi

Timothy's Bistro

Midtown, Freedom City, New Jersey

Wednesday October 3, 2018, 5:10 PM

Megan Howell-Harrow led Lulu Beaumont up to the entrance to Timothy's Bistro for their dinner reservation.  Megan had arranged to schedule bi-weekly time to meet with Lulu over either coffee or for dinner.  Given that Lulu was living on campus at Claremont while classes were in session, it provided a good way for Megan to check in with how Lulu was doing and see if there were things that she needed help with.  It also helped to continue building a relationship with Lulu, which was going to be important for the next several years while the teenager was at Claremont.

Due to Lulu focusing on getting into the rhythm of her new school and other things, tonight was actually the first chance they had for such a meeting since the start of classes.  But Megan was determined to ensure that they made this time on a regular basis going forward. 

She had picked up Lulu from campus over half an hour ago, but they had faced rush hour traffic in getting to the well-known restaurant.  "Next time we will pick someplace closer to the school, or plan for a different time to better avoid rush hour."  Megan said with a smile as they made their way inside.  Giving her name to the hostess, there was another brief wait as they ensured the pair’s table was ready.

"So, how have things been going so far?"  Megan asked with a small smile as she looked over to Lulu as they waited to be seated.

Lulu had been looking forward to seeing Ms. Harrow again; it seemed like forever since they'd last been together, and she had so much to talk about! She was wearing a leather jacket, red pullover, black jeans and red All-Stars, a look that she and Megan had put together during their shopping trip last month, and she loved the way she looked in it.

At the restaurant, the young Southerner was eagerly trying to get a look at the whole place (using just a hint of her Gift) when the older heroine asked her question. "Oh, it's been fine, ah guess. Ah don't get along with everyone, but that's life, know what ah mean? Ah haven't gotten into any hair-pullin' fights, so that's a nice change." Then she paused and sighed. "Classes...are hard, or at least some of them are; Claremont is just a harder school than ah'm used to, but ah ask for help from my teachers when ah get stuck. Aaaaand ah don't peek into the heads of the smart kids, 'cause that's rude and wrong." She sighed again, then laughed; clearly, she'd been tempted to peek.

Edited by Heritage

Megan

Megan listened as Lulu generally discussed how things had been going so far over the first month of school.  Overall it sounded as if things were going about as well as could be expected.  The fact she was having some difficulty with some of the classes was not at all unexpected and at least it did not sound like she was completely at a loss in them, at least not yet.

"Well, classes being harder is not to be unexpected."  Megan replied with a small smile.  "Taking the initiative to go to the teachers for help is good.  Which classes are proving the most problematic so far?"  She asked.  "We can work to get you some tutors to help with those, that way there will be less temptation to try to peek into the heads of the smart kids.  And of course, it never hurts to become friends with a couple of the smart kids as well, as they can often help if you needed it as well."

• 2 weeks later...

"Math and science mostly, ah guess. Ah do okay in English and history, 'cause ah like stories and readin' 'bout other folks' lives." She sighed. "It helps to put your problems in perspective, know what ah mean? Seein' what other folks have been through, how they overcame their circumstances. Your life don't seem so bad if you read about the Black Plague or somethin' like that."

A smartly-dressed hostess brought them to their table, and Lulu whistled as she looked over the menu. "Hoo-wee, we are livin' fancy now! I don't know what half this stuff is." She pored over the offerings, reading the descriptions carefully; you knew you were at an expensive place when the cost was just listed as a single number in italics. "Mmm, this leek and potato soup sounds good! Ah'm definitely startin' with that. Aaaaaand the seafood linguini, 'cause ah love my shrimp. And ah'll have a Coke, too. Thank you, ma'am."

Edited by Heritage

Megan

Megan listened as Lulu listed the classes she was having the most trouble in and talked about how she enjoyed the ready she was able to do in English and history.  "Well, it is good to enjoy reading and appreciating the subjects.  So I will arrange for some tutors for math and science.  Though, it might be a good idea to get someone to help you with writing papers as well. I believe there will start to be some sizable research papers in your classes as the year progresses.  Never hurts to get some additional practice on writing."

When the waitress came to take their order, Megan glanced back at the menu to check her selections.  "I will have the house salad with vinaigrette on the side and the mussels mariniére and an iced tea to drink.  Thank you."  Handing the menu to the waitress how headed off to enter the orders, the blonde woman looked back across the table to Lulu.  "So, beyond classes, how are you adjusting to being around more of your peers once more?"

"Oh, everyone's pretty nice," she said with a shrug. "It's pretty much what you get in any high school; there's a few shy kids, and one ah can't figure out if she's a bitch or not. And one who..." She frowned as she tried to find the most diplomatic way to say it. "One who may be a boy and may be a girl. Or neither, ah guess. Whoever they are, they are good lookin'."

And then Lulu smiled to herself as she ran her finger around the rim of her water glass. "And there's another boy who's real cute, but not in the usual way, know what ah mean? He's not boy band pretty or anythin' like that. But he's deep; he reads books and stuff, which ah think is cool."

Edited by Heritage

Megan

"Ah," Megan replied with an understanding nod as Lulu began describing some of the other students she was not completely sure about.  "Well, for the girl you are unsure of, she may just be putting up a front to mask her own insecurities, so might be worth giving her the benefit of the doubt for now.  But, it could be that she just is what she appears to be."

"As for the one who's gender you are uncertain about, I can imagine it can be somewhat confusing, but they are a person as well, so just treat them as you would anyone else, and the rest of it should not really matter."  The blonde replied as she then gave a small smile as Lulu mentioned one boy in particular.

"Well, I chased my share of pretty boys and jocks in my day," she replied.  "They were not always worth the trouble.  So finding someone that is cute and has more depth to them is certainly worth more than just pure looks."

Lulu's soup and Megan's salad arrived, and the young redhead gleefully crumbled a handful of crackers into her bowl, reducing the expertly prepared soup into thick savory porridge. "Mmm, that hits the spot!" Between large spoonfuls of glop, she continued. "Well I know ah'm only a youngin', but ah've learned a thing or two in my time." Then she lowered her voice and looked a bit guilty as she poked around in her soup. "And ah've...peeked into a lot of heads. Some of them downright nasty."

She said nothing for a few moments, but then she seemed to rally, taking a deep breath, sitting up straight and nodding. "But what's done is done; ah can't help the way ah got insight into the human mind. And if ah can use it for good, or at least to avoid datin' any creepos, then it's all good, ah say." Then she cocked her head to one side and considered her host, a twinkle in her eye. "How 'bout you, Miss Megan? You ever use your powers in the selfish pursuit of young gentlemen?"

Edited by Heritage
  • 3 weeks later...

Megan

Starting to eat once their food arrived, Megan listed as Lulu revealed some of what she had learned on the subject of sex through her uses of her powers growing up.  Certainly not how Megan would have wanted the teen to have learned such things, but with some of the things teens (and younger) could find on the internet these days, it was not exactly unique. 

When the teen posed the question to the older woman, Megan gave a small smile.  "Well, perhaps in a roundabout way.  Nothing about my abilities gave my insight into what others were thinking or the like.  But, let's just say they provided me with more free time to devote to spending time with boys." 

• 3 weeks later...

The young redheaded giggled and stamped her feet in delight. "Ah knew it! Ain't no one too good not to press the advantage if they got it!" This seemed to warm Lulu's heart, and she continued to enjoy her food with great relish. Once their entrees arrived, Lulu looked down and hers, shook her head and whistled. "Oh my lord; this one's almost too pretty to eat!" But she got over that fast enough and tucked in. A few mouthfuls into it, she grew philosophical. "Do you think this all part of a plan, us gettin' powers? Did the good Lord make us this way, set us on this path? Or do you think it's just random happenstance?"

Edited by Heritage