Red Lynx

Twenty Questions  

1. Where is your hero from?

Dakana

2. How would your hero physically describe him/herself? Is this different from how others would?

Average height with a healthy build and sure demeanor, well groomed and mannered.  Others would probably focus on the hue of his skin and put his height and build at decidedly outside average.

3. Does your hero have distinguishing speech characteristics or recurring mannerisms?

When performing as Kameron Kingdom he smiles too often and too widely seeming over eager to please almost.  A caricature of the west's expectation of African native peoples.  He tends to steeple his fingers when altering his phrasing for an audience, pausing before speaking to compose his statement with greater care than the average teen.

4. What is your hero's motivation?

Kamau has a perhaps overdeveloped sense of noblesse oblige and certainty of his peoples cultural superiority.  Dakana has too long stood by and allowed the vice and violence of the colonizers to ravage the continent and indeed the world.  Dakana needs to prove and show a better way and lead the world toward a more egalitarian and selfless way.

5. What are your hero's greatest strengths and weaknesses?

Kamau has the fine genetics of the Dakanan royal line and the upbringing and training to be a prime physical specimen and a cunning and careful combatant in realms physical, social or cerebral.  He is perhaps over reliant on these privileges and his careful and deliberate manner of engaging leads to not only a certain inflexibility but a tendency to freeze up when the unexpected happens or he needs to make a split second decision without knowing the consequences beforehand.

6. What does your hero love? What does your hero hate?

Kam is still young and idealistic enough to say things like "Equality!" and "Justice!"  but it's closer to say while he hates the opposite he lacks the real depth of understanding to really love beyond the fraternal sense.  He 'loves' his family, and adventure, and proving himself right.

7. How would you describe your character's mental and emotional state?

Kam tries and usually succeeds at a certain detached paternalism in his emotional state.  trying to please the group or person he's with without being weak.  A peacemaker of sorts and prides himself on a level headed logical approach.

8. What does your hero fear the most?

Failure.  Real failure, not just temporary setbacks or being out performed by one better trained or prepared but failure where the blame lies on his own choices being the wrong ones.

9. What is your character's greatest ambition?

Prove the superiority of the Dakanan model of governance and justice, bring the benefits of Dakanan cultural and technological achievement to the wider world and see a new age of more enlightened, connected, and unified society.

10. How does your hero feel about the state of the world and his/her place in it?

The world is torn asunder by greed, petty tribalism, and historic hurts that are piled on historic hurts.  In his more grandiose moments he feels he could fix some or all of those divisions.  But mostly he recognizes he can lead by example and one step at a time try to lessen the harm of those forces wherever he may be.

11. Does your hero have any prejudices? How does he/she get along with others?

Kamau takes great effort to listen to others and make sure they feel included and cared for, even enemies.  At the same time he believes in a certain cultural superiority and regal self worth that puts he and his above those not part of his people.

12. Where do your heroes loyalties lie? In what order?

His Family, Dakana, those under his protection.  though he'd probably say it was the opposite if asked.

13. Does your hero have a lover or partner? How do they feel about the hero now?

He does not.

14. Does your hero have a family? What is the relationship there like?

He is the scion of the Royal family of Dakana and the lineage of the White Lion(ness).  He loves his parents though is trying to remain out from under their considerable shadow.  His sister he shares a special bond with though as teens both prefer not to speak of it.  He knows absolutly he can rely on her as she can rely on him even if they don't see 100% eye to eye.

15. How would the people closest to your hero describe him or her?

Reserved and thoughtful, almost hesitant but driven to excellence.

16. Is your hero a role model?

He hopes to be and certainly tries to live up to the responsibility of such.

17. How spiritual is your hero? Does your hero follow a religious tradition?

He follows a sort of traditional ancestor worship based on his lineage and a broader spiritual belief similar to a gaian philosophy of holistic stewardship of nature and other people.

18. Is your hero part of a team, or would he/she like to be? Why?

Kam is officially a member of hte Royal guard though that is primarily an honorific rank.  HE is also part of Claremont and soon to be assigned to an action group there for training purposes.  He's eager to work with others and build such a group into a smoothly operating team.

19. How does your hero feel about the place of metahumans and aliens on Earth?

Those that are weak need to be protected, those that are strong should do hte protecting, those that try to harm their fellows or humanity need to be stopped.

20. If you could give one piece of advice to your hero, what would it be?

Think of the world and it's people more complexly.  Not everything can be reduced to a zero sum game and there is not always a right answer.

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

Prince Kamau of Dakana, The Red Lynx, A teacher on the path to a better world

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Kam, Kameron Kingdom

What is your full birth name?

Kamau of the White Lion

Where do you live?

Currently in the Claremont Dorms in Freedom City USA, originally the Royal Palace of Dakana

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

Sixteen born in 2002

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Male

How would you describe your heritage?

Dakana

How tall are you?

6'

What is your body type?

Athletic

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

The envy of others

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

Confident with a surety of movement and quiet grace.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

Dark skinned with deep brown eyes and black hair

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

shorn tight to the sides, twisted into short dreadlocks on top.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

I am not unattractive. Others would say yes

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

not currently

Do you resemble anyone famous?

M'bala my father.

Do you have a dominant hand?

Tend toward right handedness but I've trained my left to near ambidexterity

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Depends on the situation. Generally I aim for loose fitted comfortable in colors and cut suitable for the occasion formal to casual.

Do you wear makeup?

not in general

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

Deep and clear.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

I tend to pause to collect my thoughts before speaking. Some take this as a pretension or a building of artificial anticipation though really I just prefer not to speak thoughtlessly.

History

Where do you come from?

Dakana

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

I now live in Freedom and attend Claremont Academy

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

Very much so. The government is my family so I am quite fond of it though in truth even if that were not the case I would be fond of it. Dakana has much to recommend it in governance and bureaucracy alike in how it cares for and protects its citizens and neighbors.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

Dakana is a shining city on a hill not only for the continent but the world. We have much to share and much to offer to the wider world.

Where is your hometown? What was/is it like?

I was raised primarily in the Royal Palace which is akin to a city unto itself but is also the anchor for the capitol though we often traveled to the Clan estates when duty allowed.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

People were both like me and very much not. I was raised among people of my culture and nationality and primarily my own clan. But I have long known as well that my birth offered me benefits they did not have and that for those benefits I have many responsibilities to repay.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

I am a quick learner and very driven in what I set my eyes on. I however do not do so well with thinking quickly on my feet. Relying on instinct does not come naturally and I innately mistrust impulse as opposed to thought.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

No. I have been aware of the cost when our decisions are made in error but also know that that knowledge is nothing like the first hand experience.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

It is recent still but when My sister defeated Baako and took the mantle of the White Lioness I realized that there is a place for action over thought at least at times. It is a balance I have yet to find however.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

I like to think my mistakes are still ahead of me.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

I was tutored and trained by staff and family in the palace. Now I attend Claremont Academy.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

Many of my favorite things from childhood are still in the palace though none hold such great significance to me as to bring them. I carry with me always the more important part, the memories of the times that made those items significant.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

I was born to it. With my family it was always known one of us would take on the role of the white lion or at least compete to take on the duties of the protectorate of Dakana. We were also raised to know that what we had was ours because those we ruled over, protected, and led needed our protection and wisdom.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

It is the same there is no reason not to.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Not yet. I hope not ever.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

I do. I hide my identity currently for the protection of the school and my classmates.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

The enemies of Dakana may be come the enemies of the school. That could be very bad for my fellow students.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

I do not.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

M'balla and Asma'u

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

I was though with the aid of many retainers given their duties to Dakana

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

They are the King and Queen of Dakana and my father was the White Lion until my sisters ascension.

Where are your parents now?

Still in Dakana handling the more bureaucratic duties of leadership while Àjàṣorò completes her education.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We were rather stationary aside from state visits and vacations.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

I have always gotten on well with them though perhaps I once put too much weight in my need for their approval. I know now that I need concern myself less with that than with satisfying myself.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

They are proud but of course worried that my youthful zeal will lead me astray or bring me to harm.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

Àjàṣorò who is now the White Lion is my twin sister. Baako is my half brother. My sister and I are very different but as two sides of the same coin united in purpose. Baako, Baako is more contentious. His mother and her machinations put us at odds.

What was your birth order in the family?

I was born second of my sister and I, though only my moments, Baako is both our senior by a larger margin.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

Àjàṣorò is like me attending Claremont and learning more ofhte wider world and it's ways as our father did once. Baako is in the lands of the red Hyena, hopefully trying to bend the Hyena to sensible cooperation with the other clans though historically it would seem unlikely.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

I see Àjàṣorò consistently though we gladly pretend to know eachother less well and take the opportunity to be our own people as our secret identities here allow. Baako is a sometimes enemy of the family so estranged might be too mild a word.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

My bond with Àjàṣorò is both more and less than only love. We are twins and don't really know life without one another. I should perhaps hate Baako but I am mostly sad that he doesn't see the way of things and can not put asid hubris and false entitlement to be part of the family.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Not beyond the connection to my sister.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

Baako is related only on one side. But he and his mother use that tie to challenge the White Lion clan politically and otherwise.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

I come of the lineage of the White Lion. We have a long line of celebrated ancestors stretching to the beginning of Dakana and before.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

I am sixteen and it is the twenty first century so no.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

I don't think on it much. I suppose I expect to find such eventually but it's less a desire than a formless thought exercise and expectation.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

someone who doesn't refer to themselves as Mate. I would want someone to offer balance to my own flaws and shortcomings, a complementary spirit.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

I hope to, so far Janus Danger and My roomate Leroy seem to be trustworthy and engaging companions.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

Royal life can in some ways be lonely.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

Many many people from my family to the guards charged without protection as well now the staff and faculty of claremont academy. Myself or my sister going missing would be at the least an international incident

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

I am young yet but hopefully never.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

Baako is bitter though enemy may too too strong a word, rival? he would likely say enemy though.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

The Red Hyena consistently oppose the White lion in council and occasionally try to undermine the leadership of Dakana but they remain loyal to the nation if not it's leadership at all times.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

As yet nothing worthy of such an appellation

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

The people of Dakana and indeed the world, Dakana itself, my family, though I like to imagine a world where protecting one is equal protecting all.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

Probably my sister. We may not see eye to eye on much. But even if we must deceive our parents I know she would do what we needed done.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

I despise those who use their rulership and power to hurt and exploit the people they should be raising up.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Empathy, passion, devotion. I like to think I do though I am like all things a work in progress.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Greed, avarice, and pettiness.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

Of a sort. I go by Kameron Kingdom known only to a few at the school, my sister, the guards responsible for our safety and the allies in the US that have aided our secret.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

I like to think I work well with others preferring to lead by both example and in a manner I hope inspires trust in me. I'm happy to follow when someone more knowledgeable or prepared can lead however.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

I am not really though i do work with other students in practice teams.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

Well, I'm a member of the white lion clan but that is almost as much family as political entity.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

My father and grandfather. Dendaji of the jungle patrol for his bravery in sharing our knowledge with those who could do more to protect the world with it.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

Not yet. I hope never too.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

I do. There is no feeling quite like knowing you can make a real difference for the better.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

Labels might change that others use but my goal is for a better and more peaceful world and that in my mind will always be on the side of heroes.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

I would like to learn as much as I can of america and it's unique hero population and the skills of the vigilante.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

formulate a way to relieve the crushing inequalities that still divide this country and indeed the world.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

making the wrong decision and not being able to stop others from paying the price for my mistake.

Is there anything you would give you life for?

I like to think I'd find a better way. But if it was me or an innocent I would gladly sacrifice.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

It has it's place and is a driver of resource distribution for good and ill. I think the singular pursuit of it is damning but I understand those that go without will value it more even after they gain some measure of wealth. It is no simple thing.

How do you generally treat others?

With the respect they show others.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

I am not particularly trusting. I try to think the best of people but usually prepare for the worst. It is in some ways a character flaw.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

I am confident and outgoing though it can be exhausting at times.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

I will try to get to know them better and if we share compatible interests perhaps flirt and try to uncover in the feeling is mutual. But any such action must be grounded in shared interests and friendship.

What are your most annoying habits?

I tend to over explain and in my eagerness to share what I know can occasionally come off as unintentionally condescending. I try to mediate this but I love sharing my knowledge enough it can be taxing.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

I try not to apply broad labels. I hold contempt for those that put themselves before the greater good but that is less a category than a set of behaviors across categories.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

there is a spiced broth that is a comfort food from my childhood that brings a warmth to my palate and heart. Other than that I try to eat for efficiency and nutrition, I sometimes wish meals themselves were less necessary.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

Water, crisp and cool after a hot days workout.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Getting back to whatever I was doing before my nutrient need distracted me.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

I avoid meats on moral ecological grounds. But will eat them before allowing such go to waste.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

I am fond of white, for obvious reasons, and I have a complex relationship with reds as I both have adopted them personally but understand the connotations for Dakana with the clan of my half brother.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

I enjoy the remixes of traditional music using some of the daka resonators popular in Dakana for mixing and revising music today.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

I do not.

Do you have a favorite animal?

The caracal, it is athletic, clever, and fights well above it's weight class.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

Possessions are replaceable.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

It would be a lie to say I enjoy discomfort. But there is a certain joy in simplicity and the stark beauty of the wilds.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Many. Anything that violates my morals, murder, torture, or any of the myriad terrible things one person might do to another for financial gain.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

Not particularly. I follow the rituals and the techniques because they are calming and work. But the more mystic elements are not of particular interest.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Not particularly

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

I attend the major holidays of my homeland as is expected of a royal scion.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

I am capable by training but have not been forced to cross that line. I hope never to have to.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

It is simply the morals with which I was raised. taking life is not a thing to be done lightly.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

If there was no other option to protect those under my care.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

Sadness for both killer and victim. When a murder is committed two people die. Viscerally know. In action most likely significantly. Enemies would likely need to be stopped from continuing.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

Things can be replaced. If it is dangerous I would retrieve it before it could cause harm.

How would you react to public humiliation?

Humiliation is an internal response. Public or not it is your own reaction not the act itself which elicits such response.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

I like to think I would try to honor them and see justice done but I can not know unless such a sad day come if it would be instead vengeance.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Genocide. Because it is objectively the worst.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

tell my friends and family goodby. Make sure my affairs are settled to make the transition as easy as possible and then as I am able do as much good as I can until the allotted time. (Including stopping this death clock if possible)

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

Yes I trained with the Royal Guards fo the White Lion Clan, my Father, and with many experts and tutors in other skills of both hero and king.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

Probably my father. Thinking back even our games as children prepared us for our place following in his footsteps. He almost never instructed but displayed skills and let up learn and practice through what seemed normal play.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

Not particularly. I am trained in hand to hand combat and survival skills as well as the assorted skills of the guards and Dakanan military but not a great deal beyond the standard training. I do excel though devotion and the benefits of lucky genetics.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to? I am a prince and student What is your preferred combat style?

I prefer close combat. much easier to ensure the most limited risk to non-combatants in close combat.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Almost once became the White Lion but not quite.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

I would like to extend my repertoire of investigative skills. Also perhaps extend my knowledge of vehicular operations.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

I see it as an opportunity to learn more.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

I rise early and commit myself to a brief workout. Light breakfast then off to class or the gym depending on the day. After class I try to go to the library to complete any homework then if not a morning gym day a more extensive workout. Lunch where I can fit it in a healthy dinner and group work or social time with my fellow students. After lights out leave campus for patrol.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

Not particularly though i'm considering taking up an instrument. What do you do for fun? Hero work.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

I do it is a crimson suit of Dakana guard infiltrator Armor used by our special forces and a helm with a stylized caracal head design.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

In loose fitting clothing appropriate for the occasion or gym clothes. Most designs of Dakanan and African origin.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

athletic shorts or sleep pants no shirt.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

I do not.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

I keep my costume and gear in a secret compartment in my wardrobe.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

Long distance I prefer to fly, repulsor craft from Dakana have a quieter and more even flight than jet aircraft used elsewhere but not good for subtle arrival and departure. Locally I usually use public transit or taxis and my own feet.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

I have not. I am fairly certain there are some arrangements built into my rank and the royal wealth fund. But I am fairly certain I would be scolded by mother as morbid were I to enquire or try to update the arrangements.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

My full genome is stored in the royal archives to verify in case of death or kidnapping.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

Being a good man

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

No. Because I am here to protect the public

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My devotion to my ideals

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

My tendency to over prepare and be inflexible.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

The world is a complex place.  What may seem simple often is not, look at the people and the world complexly and try to understand them.