Last Gasp of Summer (IC) (Open)

Thevshi

Micah gave his roommate a small smile and a light laugh. He knew he was shy, rather painfully so, but he appreciated that his larger-than-life roommate wasn't being too forceful with his encouragements. He spotted Monica and raised an eyebrow at her slightly mixed expression, and then shrugged. It was a lot of people, and a lot of stuff going on, but maybe it wouldn't be too-

And then he was being almost dragged  bodily along by Corinne, and had to grit his teeth and count backwards from 20 to keep from manifesting a dust devil around himself. Instead, he just glanced toward Monica and rolled his eyes. 

Once Corinne let them go, he took a couple of steps away to give himself breathing space, and turned toward Veronica and Janus. He smiled, still nervous in the situation but at least familiar with basic etiquette, enough to fall back on it as a refuge. 

"Veronica, Janus, thank you very kindly for having us all over. It's a lot of folks, but you opened your home, and for that I think we're all more than a bit grateful."

Outside of a carefully-controlled school setting, his accent shows. It's not like Lulu's, but it's definitely not the careful, precise Midwestern American English he'd used primarily on-campus. 

At Kam's offer, Micah tilted his head in thought, then shrugged. He walked over to one of the un-claimed chairs, setting his backpack there before reaching down and snugging up his rugged sandals a bit more. He walked back over, clasping his hands behind him for a moment before aimlessly swinging them, clearly unsure what to do with his limbs. 

"Volleyball works. It's, uh, good weather for that, right?"

That's a weird question. But Micah's a weird kid.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hearing the suggestion, she changed what she was doing as she came jogging back towards them.  Stopping to stand near her bag, before she took off her hat, then her shirt, and her shorts, leaving her in just her bikini.  Unashamed of any part of this, though she conceded that she should need something more robust than that, so she grasped at the strings and tugged, enough to pull at the fabric.  Her power worked with that shimmering white light, changing the top to a more sport friendly and supportive top, and did the same for the bottoms.  It provided more cover for her body, but she seemed ultimately unconcerned of how much she was showing.

"I call dibs on Maverick!"  Of course she left the mirrored aviators on.  Of course.  Heck she was even flexing as she checked her watch.  Of course as she was now trotting back up towards Monica and Micah, one could almost hear the drum fill from the old Baywatch theme.

It was at this point that Adam came flying through the air, crash landing in the sand some ten feet away from the other kids, managing not to kick up enough sand to get near them. He got up and stretched. He was a bit wet still, and slightly sandy, but otherwise entirely unaffected.

"Oh, um, so, so sorry." He looked down sheepishly. "I don't get many chances to uh...stretch my legs as it were. I don't get to have fun with my, well, my powers. I wasn't, um trying to show off, just, well..." He clenched his fists, clearly trying to make himself calm down and relax.

"Anyway, are you guys playing volleyball? I'll just watch. I..." He took a sidelong glance at the six or seven hundred feet he jumped from the ocean floor and hoped that would communicate how unfair he felt it would be.

Janus' laugh was warm and easy at Nicole's banter and they winked the one eye surrounded by the starburst scar. Janus held up their hands, elegant as they spread their fingers wide, palms turned outward in a gesture of innocence. "I'm not trying to peel you off from the pack, I assure you. I endeavor to be more of a gentleman than my reputation might purport. Dangers, I know, the reputation proceeds us.

Shaking back their ponytail back over one shoulder, Janus pointed one muscular arm towards an inlet, "We do have the ships and either Veronica or I can pilot most any craft that we have access to, but no. There are a few individuals who have less experience in the water than others so we've created a smaller section of shore that's a bit more cordoned off with temporary bluffs to keep the water smoother than the rest of the shoreline. I have no doubt that we can get you whatever tech you might need to feel safe in the water with what all is laying about the manor. Just... ask if there's anything you need.

Janus offered Nicole a friendly smile, glancing over at those that seemed discomfited in some way while Janus had been focused on checking in with the other teen and then nodded their agreement to Kam's suggestion, wincing a little at the crash from Adam and laughed, "It's alright, Adam. The 'Danger Beach' has survived rougher antics. Several invasions of one sort or another if I don't misunderstand Grandfather's tall tales. Make yourself at home. I'll be right over there, Kam. Give me two minutes.

Their careful scan had marked Monica's discomfort and that, Janus understood, all too well. "Hey, Monica... right? I'm Janus." The Danger offered before cocking their head towards the manor in subtle invitation for the escape that Monica had been looking for. "Want to help me fetch the sports equipment?

When she saw that some of the other beach-goers were getting ready to set up a game of volleyball, Astrid shot up from where she was sitting with a smile on her face that many people would rightfully see as a bit crazed. It took her all of five seconds to disregard her jacket and short jeans in pile and shift into the position.

With her eyes on the court and her legs primed for the jump Astrid made a short running charge and leaped towards the volleyball court. When she landed with on the beach sand momentarily rose into the air spreading this way and that with some even getting in her hair. Astrid just shuck it off like it was nothing and declared her intentions. "So you guys are playing volleyball, ja?" Astrid asked eagerly. "If so, count me in! It's not baseball, but I still get to hit things, which is almost always fun." 

Before anyone could even respond to her Astrid walked up to the boy she had just seen flying himself and gave him a good slap on the back. "That was impressive! I've seen giants who couldn't even leap that far." Astrid paused for a moment, putting her head to the side. "Unless you are a giant? You're certainly tall enough to be one, that's for sure!" She said half-seriously.

"Oh and you are proving that reputation quite well, you know? I didn't mean anything." Nicole gave the Danger host a smile and then gestured to the gathering guests. "This is cool. It's been a while since I've let my hair down and, yeah, needed this."

"Thanks for the offer," Nicole nodded, dark brown eyes following Janus' arm pointed at the inlet. "But it couldn't be worse than flying. A wide deck and a good pilot's all that I really need." She patted the dark leather armrest of her wheelchair fondly. It was an expensive and expansive looking wheelchair. "This thing is sturdier than it looks. Customized it myself but seems like people want to play volleyball first."

She gestured to the rest with her hand, glancing as they trickled in. Then she looked back at Janus. "I'll be waiting for the worst you can dish out."

They parted ways, moving engage with other students and Leroy came bearing a gift.

"Why thank you," Nicole said as she received the crystal-like piece and pocketed it within her hoodie. She gave the boy a half-curtsy from her seating position, clearly enjoying his mannerisms, as much as they seemed to be from a fairy tale of nobles and castles. "I'm sure she'd be thrilled to know someone takes an interest in what she creates, magic or psychic powers or no."

Then Leroy turned to the rest, proposing both their roles. Nicole rolled her eyes fondly. "Don't let me stop you. I'd love to see you play there yourself."

Then she was facing Kam, skin dark and built like a mountain, even among all the other boys.

"You mean Dakana?" Nicole asked, daintily cupping her chin inside her palm as she kept her eyes on Kam, ignoring even Adam's bombastic exit. "It sounds like a wonderful place, something I'd like to visit one day, for study and to experience all that." She was being sincere as she said this, finding the balance of ecology and progress fascinating, and showing she was not all business when she wanted to.

She cocked her head as she watched Kam, her smile promising secret knowledge, though she doubted their royal status would be a secret any longer within the walls of Claremont "You came to the U.S. with your sister right? Something tells me you aren't what you two seem as Kingdoms. And that something means your sister, Ajasoro. She hasn't been as mum about some things as she should have been."

And finally, it was Selena hovering next to her and Nicole smirked and craned her head to look at the senior. "Girl, you're going to enjoy everyone and anyone here and we both know it. I'm just watching the boys my type and-- wait, how's he gay?" Nicole furrowed her brows and with a closer eye turned to look at Kam interacting mostly with guys for the beach volleyball game.

Edited by Zeitgeist Blue

Volleyball, that sounded alright. Something Monica could do without any real issues, and something she actually was pretty alright at. Being tall did have the occasional advantage, after all. Seemed to be something that most people would be interested in, because from the looks of it, the water had gotten less inviting than it had been during the invitation.

Of course Corinne got involved too. Monica didn’t dislike her, but she couldn’t look at her. It just made her want to run away. She could do that right now. Walk away, find some nice hidden space, and call her therapist. And just yell for a while. This had been a horrible idea from the start, this was the exact sort of thing she’d wanted to avoid. Her expression changed, she looked a bit distressed, but right as she took the first step backwards, away from the group, Janus addressed her. She’d seen them around a few times, maybe this was just what she needed.

She quietly cleared her throat and replied, mustering up what confidence she had left. “Yeah, sure, I can help with that.”

Once the two of them had moved some steps away from the group, she sighed and relaxed her entire body, looking a lot less tense. “Thanks.”

"This is nice," came a voice from behind Leroy, and then Abigail Storm walked past wearing some beach pants, sandals and a dark t-shirt.  She had a beach chair tucked under one arm, and held a book in the other.  She took a moment to survey the beach and picked out a spot that wasn't too far away from everyone but not close enough to interfere with any activity to set up her chair.

After a moments consideration she turned her chair to face both the ocean and the volleyball net.

"Honestly, I'm mostly just joking around at his expense.  I mean, if I was messing with Micah it would go quickly from 'fun, jokey teasing' to pretty much 'catty'," Selena replied to the young artificer.

Standing back up she turned her attention back to Veronica, "Let me just pull on the suit and we can head in.  These things do wonders for avoiding surf's rash."  After a few minutes she stood by her hostess in a grey suit that covered her from mid-thigh to her neck, the sleeves ending a few inches above her elbows.  Her suit's shoulders as well as a vertical stripe down the sides matched the blue of her bikini beneath.

"Ready whenever you are," she said.

Kam smiled wide to Micah, "Yes not too much wind or anything."  he agreed readily.  He wasn't entirely sure why the concern about the weather but he'd encountered stranger customs in his short time on earth.  He looked at Corines clothings transformation with mild interest for a moment and glanced to where Janus ushered Monica away.  The girl had seemed to need a little break and the Danger certainly was one of hte better suited to offer the comforts of the environs as needed.  He even avoided pointing out most of the equipment was in place.  Clearly that wasn't the reason behind the invitation regardless.

"Alright I assume that means Corinne's in."  He laughed after the change was complete and he glanced to Adam who demurred then to Astrid who volunteered, "Looks like Astrid as well."  he added readily at the clear interest from yet another.  It looked like beach doubles numbers unless more decided to join in.  Glancing to Nicole he nodded with a friendly smile, "Yes indeed."  the prince admitted readily his well memorized cover story on his lips already, "I hope you are able to there is much to recommend it to one with such interests or even a tourist."  he smiled wide with genuine pride in his homeland.  As she mentioned his sister he was about to correct her until he heard the name and his hand twitched as he arrested the urge to pinch the bridge of his nose in frustration.  "Ah of course she hasn't."  he murmured.  He shook off the revelation for the moment however as that was an argument to have at a later date.  He would be most cross if she got them recalled home on security grounds.

He tossed the ball lightly from hand to hand as he puzzled out teams before settling on an egalitarian approach rather than battle of hte sexes, "Corrine and I against Astrid and Micah to start?"  he suggested as pairing himself with the statuesque norsewoman would at the least look unfair.

Micah nodded thoughtfully as Kam assessed the weather, a faint smile on his face.

"Sure, sure, just, uh, curio-"

Why did he stop mid-sentence? Oh, because Corinne was purposefully acting like she was about to, like, take off her bikini, even though what she actually did was transmute it. Micah just blinked, clearly not used to someone being so...bold. He'd managed to be polite and not stare or ogle at the girls thus far, ignoring the rush of his hormones, but some things just catch your attention. Thankfully, it didn't last long, and he just shook his head and nodded as Kam spoke.

"Uh, yeah, those sound good, let me kick these off."

He reached down to unstrap the heavy-duty sandals on his feet and step out of them, leaving himself barefoot for the rather fine sand beneath their feet. He flexed his toes for a moment before nodding. He moved to one side of the small volleyball "court" and held out his hand for an only slightly-awkward handshake with Astrid (who he'd only seen a few times around campus thus far and hadn't really met before). 

"Let's, uh, do this?"

Janus simply nodded companionably, leading the new Lady Liberty to a comfortable distance away from the crowd, letting part of the hill provide a visual break from them and the other teenagers. There wasn't that much there that was actually needed, other lawn games that were less likely to be played by the cluster of teens. Janus waved one elegant hand towards a seat that Monica could take if she wanted. "I understand, at least, in some ways." Janus smiled, a wry, weary smile that kicked up one corner of their mouth into a cynical smile that sharpened the resemblance between Janus and Ace. They gestured vaguely towards the sleeveless swimshirt, "I don't usually wear this to swim in. I debated wearing it. I'm still debating wearing it."

Janus shrugged then, crouching down to collect enough things to bring back something when Monica decided she was ready to walk back, "Just take your time and if you need another break, you can flag me down. I'll make up an excuse and you can take little breaks. Sometimes just knowing you can take breaks is enough."

Having collected a small mesh bags of balls and bats for the beach that no one would probably even look at, Janus leaned one hip against the bench. They were clearly willing to sit there and wait - talking or not - until Monica felt up to facing the knot of students. "I don't know if it helps, or not, but you know that everyone out on that beach has something they're self conscious about, or that they're working through. Even Corrine." Janus' mouth kicked up in that little half smile, "Maybe even especially Corinne. From what I have gathered, it appears to be the natural teenage state to be a little out of sorts in a world that's not quite shaped for you."

If Corinne noticed the looks, she was completely blithe over it, or really the impact of her form.  Of course, in her blindness she walked to Micah, and hip checked him, on the path to the court proper.  "I feel it should be prudent to say no powers, but kinda goes without saying."  And she sauntered over to Kam, and stretched out her arms to an impressive wingspan, before she moved up before the net, in a position that indicated she had specifically played this sport before.  "I'd warn you all that I'm from Los Angeles, but I don't think it will matter with this crowd."  She flashed a cheeky smile, and took a few steps to give Kam a fist bump to him, as she moved to settle back in.

Not that she thought her powers could really help with this - Oh, honey you just haven't the imagination...

Astrid shot Micah a wolfish grin just before she took his hand and gave it a hearty squeeze. 

"Oh come on, now! We're not just going to 'do this.' We're going to ruin these tapere!" She pointed at Connie and Kam for add effect and didn't really care if they had heard her or not.

Astrid knew she was being a bit aggressive, well, more aggressive than usually, but told herself it was necessary.

She'd seen Micah enough around school to know his name and face, and from what little she had seen she pegged him as a shy guy. His gawking at Connie, who Astrid had to admit was smoking hot, and his hesitant tone didn't do much to change her initial assessment.

Which is why she was putting it on a bit thick here. Micah needed some positive reinforcement something fierce and Astrid thought a good, old-fashioned trash-talk would do just that. Plus, she liked trashing talking in general. 

"Right, of course," Lulu said through a strained smile. Unsure of what to do with herself, she looked around until she spotted Abby, setting up her chair. "Mind if ah join you? Too much sun and ah-" She mimed flames appearing on her arm and said 'whoosh' with eyes widened in mock-alarm. The pale-skinned redhead dropped her bag about five feet from her fellow Team Orange classmate, and unpacked a compact folding beach chair and umbrella. She checked the sun's angle several times as she set up, to insure no direct sun could hit her, then applied a bit more lotion and pulled out a book of her own, apparently some sort of trashy fantasy-themed romance novel. Better to disappear into fantasy than face somewhat awkward reality.

Of course, like Abby she made sure she had a good view of the sea, and more importantly, the volleyball game and hopefully Adam...

The hip-check caused Micah to stumble to the side perhaps a half-step, more because he was surprised than due to any unusual amount of strength on Corinne's part or weakness on his. He blinked, blushing but also clearly confused. 

"I'm not sure what Los Angeles has to do with this?"

Astrid's words cause his attention to snap to her. For a moment, he seemed uncertain...before he grinned, and nodded.

"I don't know what tapere are, but yeah, what you said!"

His stance widened a bit and he hopped up and down a couple of times, shaking his arms in an attempt to loosen them, before settling down a bit and putting himself in a ready stance. He'd never really played volleyball, but he had good hand-eye coordination and he'd seen it played a few times. He could pick the rest up as they went! 

Kicking off his own sandals and efficiently shucking the loose fitting athletic pants in favor of the fitted swim briefs beneath for ease of motion.  Kam carefully folded the garment and placed it neatly atop his sandals because he was precisely the kind of neurotic to fold his beachwear at the beach.  Grabbing the ball he jogged to the marked court toned frame moving with an grace and ease across the soft sand that was unusual in a teen his size.

Lightly tossing the ball to gauge it's heft and elasticity Kam grinned at the banter and returned his teammates fist bump.  He nodded to Micah, "I think from context it is some variation on inferiors."  he offered with a shrug as Corrine either warmed up or tried to distract the other team.  "And Los Angeles is famed for it's beach sports."  he pondered aloud awaiting the other team taking up position before stepping to the back corner, "Our serve first then?"  he asked curiously not entirely certain of the normal course for such a game or indeed the rules beyond the basics gleaned from observation.  With a shrug he lobbed the ball up to knock it in  slow arc over the net.

"Whazajack!" Leroy spun around, arms raised and eyes wide at Abigail's sudden appearance. Staring blankly at the new arrival, the scarred boy offered a tentative "Ah...greetings and...salutations?" 

To his credit he quickly regained his equilibrium, walking to the new arrival's side and offering his hand. "Welcome and well-met! I am Leroy Ransom-Conte, a visitor this fair Earth from her offspring, Earth-2. How do you do?" Indicating the assorted facilities and mechanisms, he added excitedly "I hope this manse has something that you are comfortable with, I have not had the chance to see your skills, and must confess to great curiosity!"

Then, as the game of volleyball down below began to grind its way along, Leroy turned as Kam took the first shot and stiffened. "No," he said crisply "this will not do."

"T-t-t!" Leroy launched from his seat on the gentle slope, somersaulting gracefully through the air and coming to a gentle, floating rest on top of one pole of the volleyball net. "This disorganization is perilous, my comrades-at-arms! Let us embrace the strategic element, honing ourselves into a disciplined machine! The Aztecs, the Greeks, the Persians and the Han knew the efficacy of this, using sport to prepare for battle, and what purer expression is there than this?"

He swept his arms to encompass both teams, his golden eyes blazing with renewed fervor and the tattoos twining about his muscular body seeming to ripple and shift in the sunlight. "Two rival territories! Constantly shifting grounds of attack and defense! Morale, endurance, communication, it is all here!"

"I propose this: I and..." he glanced back at Nicole with an inviting smile "...a volunteer shall each direct one of the teams. The loser must fulfill one request from everyone else involved!"

Springing off the net and landing on his feet a few feet from the court, Leroy grinned eagerly "What say you?" 

Edited by Ari

Veronica

As Selena went to change for surfing, Veronica remained over near the board she had selected, watching as most of the others began organizing a game of volleyball or other beach games.  When Pan came over and stated he was up for a race and thanked her for hosting the party, the teenage Danger gave him a warm smile. 

"Oh, your welcome Pan, we are happy to host.  We will try to get some races going soon enough.  If the waves really are not good, we may not say out surfing for too long."

When Selena came back out dressed in her wetsuit, Veronica picked up her board under one arm.  "Oh, ready as ever!"  She replied as she made her way down to the surf with her board in hand.

The moment Astrid saw Kam toss the ball into the air, sending it flying into a forward arc, her whole body shifted into the ready position without her even having to consciously think to do so. She was balanced forward while her knees were bent and her arms out and ready to slam the volleyball right back on to the other side of the net.

The reaction wasn't muscle memory, not exactly anyway. Besides playing the game a couple times in primary school Astrid didn't play that much volleyball, much preferring baseball and football. No, it was more like she just instinctual knew what to do once the game actually got started. The same thing happened whenever she was about to get into a serious fight with someone, or something. Her body just knew what it needed to do to get Astrid ready.

The Aesir said the instinct was just natural part of being a Norse demigod and showed that she destined to be warrior. While Astrid had to admit that she did love to get into a scrap the idea that being a warrior was just a fundamental part of who she was one always made her nervous. She could be more than a hothead warrior fighting everything that got in her way, right?

Stop angsting and get your head into the game, Astrid. The thought brought her back down to Earth. She could soul-search later. Right now she had to be the warrior. She ran up to the net and launched herself into the air to intercept the incoming ball. Controlling her strength so that she wouldn't overjump the ball or send it flying with such force that it ended up on the other side of the beach ended up being harder than actually blocking it because Astrid managed to send it back to the other side with a satisfying clap. 

"You haven't even given me time to think!" Nicole called from the other side of the court and she pressed a fist to her cheek, humming while she gave a good impression of thinking. She had already decided her answer. It seemed like a way in which she could participate in and no matter Leroy's skills, it was all for fun and games. Plus Leroy had a way of finding an interesting ways of doing things.

Then she looked up and gave Leroy a smile that could be seen across the volleyball court. "Sure! Sounds like a game!" She pointed to Astrid and Micah. Astrid was her roommate and if anyone in Claremont knew what the demi-Asgardian could do it was her. As for Micah... well, she'd wing it and he seemed shyer, less sure of himself like Selena had said. Someone you needed to handle with kid gloves.

"Hey you're my team now! Don't lose or you're joining me in the bet!"

Edited by Zeitgeist Blue

Pan gave a quick bow to Veronica as she moved to the surf with Selena. Very well then, a race for another time. There were plenty of things to do here, with a quick smile and a wave to Selena and Veronica, he set off for the rapidly developing volley ball game. He had not heard about a game like this before, but it would be interesting to watch. And someone had actually gotten Micah to participate! Brilliant! He could go for another round, once he had figured out what the game was actually about. 

Floating over next to the court, he couldn't help but laugh at Leroy's excitement and ideas. He would get him to just have fun for the sake of fun at some point, but if this was what he liked, then who were Pan to interfere or complain? Still, Pan would have to disappoint his teammate in his allegiance for this game. While floating in a sitting position above the sand, he brought his hands up around his mouth and shouted. "Go Micah! Show them what you can do!" He would help Micah get out of his shell one of these days, and this seemed like a good step in the right direction. 

Paddling out into the waves felt like releasing a breath she did not even noticed she was holding for Selena, the scent and feel of salt water washing over her and taking away some of her worries about the upcoming school year.  Once out a decent ways sat on her board, waiting for a good wave to come along.  Not that she minded overly much, Nicole was right, she was enjoying the view of all the participants in the volleyball game.  Sighing she turned her head to Veronica, "I'm going to miss this town after graduation."

Abigail was still quietly laughing and shaking her head slightly, causing the pendant around her neck to glimmer in the sun, when Lulu started to settle down next to her.

"Oh, by all means," the young mage answered her squadmate.  She settled into her chair a little deeper, opened up her book and with a small gesture produced a charcoal pencil.  She did nothing right away, just quietly observing those on the beach and in the water.  One doesn't rush these things.

Leaned forward, lacing her fingers behind her back, and stretching with the flexibility a dancer had, her head almost sweeping the sand, before she straightened up, as she shot a glance to the weird rules that LeRoy was spouting off about.  "What?"  She was surprised, or whatever one might be from such a thing. 

Then came Kam's serve.  She expected Astrid to be the one to lead, given the girl was aggressive over all.  So she positioned herself off of her, and traced the path of the ball, dropping to her knees, and sliding in the sand, as her arms were outstretched, one hand gauntleting the other as she connected with the descending ball with the inside of her elbows, passing the ball up and slightly away from the net, setting Kam up for a response, she grunted with the exertion, and the smack of the synthetic material against her arms as she made the dig.  Her power flared up in instinctive response, a shimmer of around her form, as she quickly pushed herself back up to her feet.