Golgotha Tenement Blues OOC

angrydurf

OOC for this

Street is basically clear and the staff of the diner has found reasons to be back in the stockroom and kitchen with loud music playing.  All the exits are in view of at least one of the gang members there are eight, nine including the leader.

Judex and Mr. Strix both get an HP for their complications being pinged (with the church and secret Id and religious iconography and all that.

A reminder for later, you can spend and HP for inspiration/minor changes to the environment for thematic effect (handily placed skylight, clues of where to look next etc)  in case things bog down when we get to the investigation portion.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Questions:

1) Please clarify: Did the girl and then the gangbangers run into the diner, or the church?

2) Should I make some kind of check or saving throw to be able to approach the scene on account of the presence of the church?

Housekeeping:

Concealment to all senses of all types except Mental would have been up while tailing someone, and is definitely still up now. DC18 Will save to anyone who wants to try to see through the perception filter and resist the subliminal psychic command "Do Not See Me, Do Not Remember Me."

Anyone who can get through that shouldn't have much trouble spotting him, since I rolled a "1" on his initial Stealth check: 16.

1) The girl ran into the church which is handily across the street from the diner.  The gangbangers have basically surrounded the church and one is approaching the front door to try to talk his way in two are around the back possibly intending to break in and grab her.  The rest have taken up positions with good sightlines in groups of two

2) You can make the check when it feels appropriate to you.  this stretch is basically happening in a church so I gave you teh HP to deal with the assorted symbols you'll run into in the process.  You can certainly approach but you can decide if "Holy ground" aplies or not till you see the crucifix on the wall inside.

None of the npcs will notice you.  they're not trying and don't have a good chance anyway.

Tagging this. Strix is both in and out of luck; Theo's denomination typically doesn't do much religious iconography....but this is actually an old church that was abandoned and then purchased and "renovated". Maybe an Eastern Orthodox church? Either way, it still mostly has all the stained glass and stuff; Theo's a fan and a huge history and theology buff. 

None of the npcs will notice you.  they're not trying and don't have a good chance anyway.

I was saying it as much for the other PCs' benefit as for the NPCs, but good to know.

Strix is both in and out of luck; Theo's denomination typically doesn't do much religious iconography....but this is actually an old church that was abandoned and then purchased and "renovated". Maybe an Eastern Orthodox church? Either way, it still mostly has all the stained glass and stuff; Theo's a fan and a huge history and theology buff.

If nothing else, I'm guessing there's a giant cross at the center back of the room, even if there's no Jesus attached to it like there would be at a Catholic church?

Durf, it's literally your call how to inconvenience him or make him suffer.

I left the complications vague so that individual GMs would have room for their own interpretation and level of crunch.

In general, what I had in mind was that being on "holy ground" isn't as "bad" for him as actually seeing a "holy symbol" (or standing in its shadow), that he might have to make a static Will save (or something like it) to force himself to knowingly approach one that's just sitting there passively, and that he'd need to make an opposed check of some kind (the book builds tend to use raw Charisma) to move toward someone who was actively brandishing it at him, trying to ward him off. I also had the idea that the GM could force him to make a Toughness save against Damage or a Will save against some other attack effect like Nauseate even if he did successfully force his way toward it.

In any case, I left the DCs and effect ranks up to the GM.

There's an IC post. Let me know if I should adjust it. I assumed we're not in combat rounds, so I described what would probably be two rounds worth of actions, even at 50MPH, even if it didn't include two array reconfigurations. I also took the liberty of invoking one of his environmental complications (the cold).

Gang Captain gets a 17

Gang members out front do less well 1 

the gang members backing up the captain freeze up at the figure emerging from the rain/diner and are dazed for the round effectively.

Gang Captain is going to pull the wedge my foot in thing.  KD make a ref save to beat him to the punch (DC 15) or you can just try to slam it on his foot and hurt him and I'll make his toughness save.

Around this time the guys will get in the back and I think we're in combat.  So initiatives.

Captain 15

gang members 20  (Must be the speed)

Judex manages to slam the door before he can plant his foot and the guys in the back manage to get the door open around the same time.

Into rounds we go starting with:

Surprise round  

Thugs(back)          20  2 remain (Surprised)

Thugs(front)          20  4 remain (Dazed, Surprised)

Thugs(Side alley)  20  2 remain (Surprised)

Mr. Strix                 17  (unharmed, 4HP)

Captain                  15  (Unharmed, Surprised)

Dr. Thorne             12  (Unharmed, 4HP, Surprised)

Judex                     10 (Unharmed, 5HP, Surprised)

Only strix gets a surprise action and you'll have time to be set up  for ambush Grumble no need to move before attack

Mr. Strix is up.

Grumble in the mudroom or front vestibule the Iconography is mild enough not to effect strix mechanically.  In the main room or other parts of the church it's a DC 20 will save each round or he's shaken.  If you blow an HP to cancel the shaken it'll last for the scene and no further rolls will be needed.

I punch them!

If they're already in melee range, then I'll just make a normal attack. If they're not, then I'll charge (and that'll be +2 Attack / -2 Defense for the round).

Array gets switched to the Autofire Strength + Claws AP, but I'm not popping the claws.

The two in back are surprised, and they haven't acted yet, so they're flat-footed twice over, and since they're surprised they also suffer -2 Defense (which probably wasn't that high to start with). I'll go ahead and Power Attack for -2 Attack / +2 Damage. They're confirmed minions, so I'll take 10 on the attack roll for 16. If that hits, Toughness save is DC25, +1 for every 2 points my attack "roll" got over their defense DC. Assuming that KO's the first one, I'll Takedown Attack the second one in the same way (I have rank 2, so I can make a 5ft step between them if they're not right next to each other).

At +10 damage, I'm guessing there's going to be some knockback, and he's certainly not going to restrain himself, so if one or more of them fail their saves, feel free to describe them getting knocked halfway through walls or back into the door hard enough to knock it off its hinges. I would've done it myself, but it seemed presumptuous.

Toughness saves for the backdoor thugs. 7, 7 so two fails by 19  Very knockback much KO.

Round One

Thugs(back)          20  2 KO'd 

Thugs(front)          20  4 remain (Dazed)

Thugs(Side alley)  20  2 remain 

Captain                  15  (Unharmed)

Dr. Thorne             12  (Unharmed, 4HP)

Judex                     10 (Unharmed, 5HP)

Thugs in the side ally will use their actions to move to the back and draw their guns readying an action to shoot the crap out of whatever comes out of that door. Thugs out front are dazed.

For bookkeeping they will hit a DC 22 for anyone coming through the back door.  If that hits it's a DC 19 toughness save (technically one attack one aid action but minimizing rolls on minions)

DC15 Notice check per chat to notice the thugs outside: 22.

Move Action: Go outside. Get shot.

22 hits Mister Strix.

DC19 Toughness save: 26. Doesn't even slow him down.

Standard Action: Charge with a 90ft standing leap.

Charge for +2 Attack / -2 Defense.

All-Out Attack for -2 Defense / +2 Attack.

Power Attack for -2 Attack / +2 Damage.

Mister Strix is Defense +4 / DC14 until his action next round.

Take 10 for attack, hitting DC20.

Just like last time, if that hits, it's a Toughness save, DC25 +1 per 2 points he got over their Defense.

If that KO's the first, then Takedown Attack to do the same to the second.

Captain Toughness save 8  Fail by 15 TKO

Round One

Thugs(back)          20  2 KO'd 

Thugs(front)          20  4 remain 

Thugs(Side alley)  20  2 KO'd 

Captain                  15  (Unconscious)

Dr. Thorne             12  (Unharmed, 4HP)

Judex                     10 (Unharmed, 5HP)

Judex is up.

Right, let's see.

Free Action: Morph to Judex, Quick Change to that outfit. 

Move Action: Get outside via the side door in the community room (it's not a big church building!).

Standard Action: Charge one of the Front Thugs. +2 Attack -2 Defense. I think I'll go ahead and Power Attack for +2 Damage -2 Attack. Take 10 on the Attacks gives him a 20 to hit, and a DC 21 Toughness Save. He has 1 rank of Takedown Attack, so if there's a guy right next to his target (let's say the furthest one to his/Judex's left when he approaches the group).