Dynamic Arrays

Geez3r

I need help figuring out how Dynamic Arrays work, I think.

Blast 10 PF: Dynamic

AP: Blast 10 Extras: Area-Cone, Flaws: Touch Range

AP: Blast 10 Extras: Area-Burst, Flaws: Touch Range

DAP: Super-Strength 10

DAP: Flight 10

That's my sample array. Now, unless I'm mistaken, I've got 20 points to mess around with for the Dynamic Powers. Also if I allocate points into the base Blast power, I could use one of it's Alternate powers instead, but if I had a few points floating around, I could also use Flight and Super-Strength as well, hypothetically. Also the cost of this particular array would be 25 pts.

Also if I allocate points into the base Blast power, I could use one of it's Alternate powers instead [...]

Shouldn't this be "Also if I [don't] allocate points into the base Blast power, I could use one of it's Alternate powers instead [...]"? (Since it is "either or" with ordinary Alternate Powers.)

And the total cost comes up to 27pp: 20 (Base Power) +1 (Base Power made dynamic) +2 (2 AP) +4 (2 Dynamic AP)

Shouldn't this be "Also if I [don't] allocate points into the base Blast power, I could use one of it's Alternate powers instead [...]"? (Since it is "either or" with ordinary Alternate Powers.)

My thinking was that the alternate powers essentially draw their power from the original dynamic power. If I didn't allocate points to the original blast power, then their is no power to be an alternate of.

So if I put all my points into Super-Strength and Flight, could I use one of the alternate blasts while still flying/ being super strong?

And the total cost comes up to 27pp: 20 (Base Power) +1 (Base Power made dynamic) +2 (2 AP) +4 (2 Dynamic AP)

Okay, I didn't know dynamic ap's upped the cost by 1, but makes sense really.

My thinking was that the alternate powers essentially draw their power from the original dynamic power. If I didn't allocate points to the original blast power, then their is no power to be an alternate of.

So if I put all my points into Super-Strength and Flight, could I use one of the alternate blasts while still flying/ being super strong?

I am afraid the answer to that is 'no'.

You can't put (for example) dynamically 2pp into Blast and the remaining 18pp into Super Strenght/Flight and then AP a 20pp Alternate Power off that 2pp Blast.

To put it a bit simpler: Think of those standard (non-dynamic) AP as APs on the whole dynamic 'pool', meaning you can either use one of the alternate Blasts or distribute that 20pp pool between the dynamic powers standard Blast, Super Strength and Flight.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer! :)

Ah okay, I got ya now. So if I wanted to have multiple "settings" on the Blast power and wanted to simultaneously use some of the flying and super-Strength, those "settings" would need to be dynamic as well, got it.

Thanks for the help.

Okay, got another round of questions.

Let's say I have this array:

Blast 10 PF: Dynamic

DAP: Super-Strength 10

DAP: Flight 10

And outside of the array I have:

Blast 2 PF: Precise

Super-Strength 2 PF: Counter Punching

Flight 2 PF: Subtle

As you can probably guess the line of inquiry here is whether powers in an array "stack" with those outside, and if the power feats of those outside apply to the ones in the array.

So for example, say I put all 20 points of the dynamic array into flight. Would I have:

Flight 10

Flight 2 PF: Subtle

Flight 12

or

Flight 12 PF: Subtle

I'd say they can stack -- a power in Ultimate Power, Power Reserve, does much the same thing -- though it might be better to list the things in the array as "Enhanced [whatever]"

I'm not sure about some of those PFs, especially Subtle. For your particular example, I'd say that you could add up to 2 more ranks in Flight (effectively doubling it) and have Subtle Flight 4, but any more than that and it loses the Subtle-ness; if you want to be able to add all the ranks and still fly subtle-y, you'd need Subtle not just on the base Flight but also in the "Enhanced"/Array Flight.

I'd likely say the same for the Precise Blast.

Why limit it like that? I can see it being abused if not.

Say you've got something like what you have, a low-ranked Blast with PF A, and an Array of Enhanced Blasts, each with a different PF (B, C, and D). If it's not limited as I described, than in any given round they could have a Blast with PFs A & B, or a Blast with PFs A & C, or a Blast with PFs A & D. This would be a small savings over someone with just an equally-priced Array of Blast (PF A & B), Blast (PF A & C) and Blast (PF A & D), and the cost break gets bigger the more PFs are put onto the low-ranked 'base' power.