Adventuring Time!

Thunder King

"Ah..." Judy stared in alarm at Dio's entrance, but her warning through Ashley - thanks to the latter's warning through Summers, carried the day. Not that any of her friends knew anything about that. "Um, well, Lady Quanah is a noblewoman from a family in the desert kingdom that embraced demon-worship," she said, her eyes lighting up excitedly at the words, "but before she could join the Black Crusade that threatens all of civilization, she was saved by the Lion, the messenger of the God Above Gods. Now she roams the land as the Lion's champion, fighting evil wherever she finds it, and trying to redeem the world just as the Lion taught her. And she's got a horse," she added with a wink to Ashley, "a big black one that she saved from being slaughtered. She's real tough and doesn't trust people at first because there are demon-worshippers everywhere, but her heart is pure and her sword has the blessings of the Lion." 

Alex was already munching carrot sticks and houmus as he listened to the others chattering, it was a very pleasant atmosphere so far.

When adressed by leroy he quickly gulped down his food "cool story! I decided to go with a Half Orc half human artificer called Lugnut, he's from uhh...that coastal trade city on the...sword coast? He likes workin with metal so he'd adventurin' lookin to make a masterpiece and find a hero to wield it....and a bard to sing about it." He felt himself sweat a little, he'd done very little reading that hadn't pertained to playing the game or the races and classes that had caught his interest.

"Maybe one of the mighty warriors in this party even!" Regaining his cool and deflecting the attention onto other peoples characters

"Not that he's gonna play favorites or anything of course"  he added an after thought before turning to adam

"Don't worry, went for the bag of tricks, don't like guns or robots much...its mutual."

Selena, who clearly had no idea there was a dragon on campus sat dumbfounded for a minute.  After another minute trying to find her voice she replied, "Not really at the level we're starting at.  At most, we'd be making enemies of a pawn of a pawn of a dragon.  Dragon fights, especially if played correctly, should be both the culmination of a campaign as well as jenjang terrifying because your characters are in for an uphill battle."

"Well, as mentioned, rogue.  Alex, if you end up making a rapier or dagger as the masterpiece, Imizael Mournsong will be more than happy to put it through its paces," Selena told her classmate.  "But yeah, my character is the typical 'born in the lower class' street urchin, ends up in the thieves' guild where she learned to hone her skills both with a blade and the art of stealth.  I figured I'd keep her background basic and open in case Adam had some ideas to spring on her,"  she added before taking a bite of pizza.

Like many of the others, Pan stared at Dio for a moment. Then he broke into a wide grin. "A dragon! That is brilliant!" He had only ever heard tales of them, but to see one in the flesh! His choice to join the academy continued to pay off. 

Still, try to focus on the events at hand. They are going to play, and they are introducing their characters. Good good. He's the last one to do so, and Alex has just given him the perfect opening, after all. "Then perhaps Oberon Underhill shall sing the songs of Lugnut's weapons! He is a Halfling bard!" He had put on a bit of dramatic air for his big reveal, as he planted his character sheet on the table. "The Underhill family are rich merchants from Baldur's Gate, but Oberon didn't care much for that. After some trouble, he eventually set out to be an adventurer! He seeks to find great tales that he can write greats songs about. And its even better if he can write about himself too!" Alright, not that different from himself with the lust for adventure, but Pan did like adventure. After finishing talking, he poured a bit of some dark brown liquid into his cup. It said Cola, and he had never tasted that, even if the color was a bit odd.

"Well that's very different characters, so how did we all meet?" asked Judy. 

"Got assigned," suggested Ashley. "Some big dogooder came along and made us all work together.

"Hey, Ah'm a do-gooder," said Judy. She stared at the snacks and drinks for a moment, then said, "Ah-Ah, um, Ah think we should meet in battle, like there's been a big fight and we're all recuperating. Ah..." She stared at the Coke, then at Ashley, shifting uncomfortably in her seat for a moment before looking down at her character sheet. 

"Okay. Big battle," said Ashley, putting her hand on her sister's shoulder reassuringly. "Maybe we all did something, and so our side wants to hire us for something new." 

"Oh my Lord..." Lulu's eyes widened at the size of Leroy's binder, then she turned to Adam and grinned. "Hey, Mister DM, how much damage can Leroy do if he hits someone with the Book of Answers? That'd be quite a wallop!"

The arrival of the dragon filled the Alabaman with wonder and delight, mixed with a bit of fear, and her giddy laugh was at least partially nerves. She also raised an eyebrow at the interactions between Judy and Ashley, which suggested a bit of tensions, but she resisted the temptation to pry.

As others went into more detail about their characters, Lulu gestured dramatically, her illusionary gear creaking and jingling appropriately. "Ah am Elothien of the Wyrddwood, wood elf priestess of Nymphala! Ah come from deep within forest, and have had little contact with the outside world." She traced a pattern in the air, and a shimmering green glow danced around her fingertips, shaped like vines and leaves and growing thing. "Ah am skilled in the healing arts, and can speak with animals, but the ways of men confuse me!" Originally, Lulu wanted to play a druid, but was afraid that any whiff of paganism might spook Judy a bit, so despite her cousin's insistance that her character would be 'underpowered', she'd settled on a Nature domain cleric, hoping that might go over better.

Edited by Heritage

Turning her head towards Adam, "So dungeon master, where do we meet up?  Around the campfire after a battle or that classic 'You all meet in a tavern' setup?  I mean, both work for me."

As the rest of the players finish gathering their food, drinks, and taking a seat Selena set a collection of metal dice with inlaid numbers and rounded edges on the table next to a collapsible dice tray to protect the table from said dice.  "For anyone on the fence about taking metal shop at some point in your time here, I highly recommend it."

"Speaking for the trees, huh?" said Judy, thinking about the other characters. "That makes sense, trees and plants are some of the God of gods greatest creations. We gotta keep 'em safe from demon's fire," she went on with a nod Lulu's way. "And Lady Quanah knows the Lion's justice is for all the peoples of the world, human and otherwise. Ah think she'd get along fine with everybody else, as long as they didn't start worshipping demons or doing anything else evil where she could see it." Ashley provided the dice for the sisters, a mixed batch of d20s that had obviously come from a gaming store's dice pile. "Cause if that happens, it's smiting time!" 

Alex nodded in agreement "lugnut can make your weapons and armour from densest adamantine or purest mithril but it won't matter one bit if there is no metal in ya heart!" He stated as he went through his things for the dice penny had bought him and the simple but polished lugnut he was using as a token for his character, emptying the bag out to reveal the very colourful glittery dice.

"Oh neat! I didnt get a chance to look before now...very pixie choice." He said as much to himself as the others around him.

He gave a mock look of accusation to the magnetism controller with the metal dice before laughing it off.

"Pixies are neat, yes." Pan should know, with how many he had been around. He hadn't been sure if pixies even existed in this world, but he was nice to know that they did. They might be very different, but he would like to find out. Still, a thought for another day. "If meeting in a tavern is the standard experience, then I vote for the campfire." He looked over at Adam, smile still on his lips. "If the dungeon master agree, of course." He was the dungeon master, after all. He was the one that would guide their adventure and help tell their tale. Bringing out his own emerald dice, Pan placed them on the table. Back on Neverworld, they had mostly played cards, or physical games. This was something entirely different to him. But he noticed something missing from his collection of objects: A representation of Oberon Underhill. Others had figures or Alex's lugnut. "I seem to have forgot to bring a representation for Oberon. Could I borrow something?" He wasn't really picky about it. Anything could do.

• 4 weeks later...

Hearing Pan's request, Lulu dug around in her shopping bag. "Well ah stopped by the dollar store and got a big ol' bag of army men; ah think they're 'bout the right size." She pulled out a small, dark green figure, scrutinized it, then offered it to Pan. "This here's a jungle commando or some such; you can use him."

This was all very exciting! Growing up back in Columbia, it was hard to find people to talk to about things like the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit; now here were a whole bunch of nerds eager to sit down together and write their own adventures! She hoped the game turned out well, and that she'd get to play again.

Edited by Heritage
  • 3 weeks later...

Selena pointed at her character's figurine and it slowly levitated towards the center of the table, making a mental note to stop the art department to give her miniature a finished look instead of the bland, if well shaped, steel it currently sported.  "An idea strikes me, is there anyone in the current crop of students at all adept at woodworking?  I feel like a mini made out of wood for our resident pseudo-druid might be kinda cool."

"Micah's, um, real handy," offered Judy, keeping both eyes on the moving figure. Her eyes wide at the casual use of powers, she sounded a little breathless for a moment before she said, "...Ah think he could help you, and he'd do it just cause he's nahce too. Were we supposed to bring those? Ah just have the stuff Ashley bought at the store..." 

"Overpriced," muttered Ashley in response. 

"Thank you, I will take care of it." Pan accepted the figure from Lulu, looking at it with an appraising gaze. It was simple, appeared to hold a weapon quite unlike the sword he imagined Oberon Underhill would wield, but it would serve its purpose, and he was genuinely grateful.

Hearing his roommate's name mentioned spiked his interest. Yes, he was good with his hands, and helping someone else could help with his confidence. "You should ask Micah, yes. I have yet to see him refuse anyone asking for assistance, I'm sure he will try to help." 

"I mean, mine was 'hand' made," Selena replied, including the air quotes.  "Molding steel like this was, well, not easy but good practice for my powers.  I can start working on figures for anyone who wants one.  They'll probably take some time and some painkillers, after doing this one I had a headache for three days after sleeping pretty much the entire weekend."

Finishing one of her slices of pizza she looked over at Adam, "Once I'm a bit better at this I'll see what I can do about amassing ones for the monsters."

At Ashley's comment she shrugged, "Maybe if you're looking at the Warhammer stuff or anything made of plastic.  The stuff from Reaper on the other hand I've noticed is actually pretty reasonably priced."