(IC)(Open) Out for a Spin

Electra

Abigail looked at Pan's proffered hand and then down at the burden she carried in her arms.  She took on a thoughtful expression as she did a quick glance around and let go of her books to take Pan's hand into her own for a brief shake, before turning the hand toward Elizabeth.

The books, meanwhile, floated silently and obediently where she left them.

"I'm not sure how tall a 'Jack' is suppoed to be," she said, giving Elizabeth a faint smile, "I have not met many."

• 2 weeks later...

Jack laughed a little and flashed Abigail a charming smile. "Da I suppose I am one height for a Jack." He said in his accent. He bowed slightly at the waist in greeting, absently unzipping his hoodie from the heat outside. Jack was always warm, even in the middle of winter.

"Melady it tis pleasure to meet you." He said formally. He cocked his head slightly at the books, curious. "You telekinetic...?"

"Abby can do lots of things, she's cool!" Danica said with loyal pride. "Come on, you guys should see the cafeteria! They're probably not serving again til dinner, but there'll be snacks!" She turned her Segway in a tight circle on the pavement. "You come too, Abby, you can help tell them all the stuff I forget." As the little group rearranged itself, she asked Abby quietly, "How was your summer? Were things, ah, okay?" 

"Oh that is brilliant!" Pan exclaimed when the books floated. True, he was easy to amuse, but he it was still so exciting to see what everyone here could do. He managed to stay grounded this time. "Do you mind if I...?" Pan leaned closer, stretching a hand out to one of the books to show his intent. If Abigail didn't mind, he would touch one gently. Otherwise, he would just keep marvelling at them for a moment before turning back to the others. 

He felt his stomach growling at the mention of food. It would be nice with some good food here, even just some snacks would be nice. Not wanting to interrupt Danica's question, he simply followed as Danica led the way.

Elizabeth followed along dutifully, nodding enough to briefly disturb her hair. "I'm not sure I'd mind a snack," she said, though whatever else she was going to say died when she realized she wasn't quite sure what passed for a snack in a school cafeteria. When was the last time she'd...?

"Is the food good?" she asked, cocking her head at Abigail. The motion mostly fixed her hair, short as it was. "I don't think I've eaten in a cafeteria since I was really small, so I guess I won't have much to compare it to."

"I do not have a good baseline to judge," Abigail answered Elizabeth.  "But it is edible, and often satisfactory.  Sometimes I question the nutrition, it seems everything these days is simultaneously good and bad for you."  She looked thoughtful.  "Either Heisenberg or Schrödinger are involved, surely."

The books floated beside Abigail while she talked, gesturing with the free hand.

"Not telekinetic, per se," she said, glancing over at Jack.  "A touch of will and convincing gravity to look the other way where the books are concerned and shaping the wind to move them where I desire."  She shrugged, "It's just a small trick.  It's all small tricks."

"Summer was, quiet," the young mage said, finally answering Danica.  "Filled with study.  I was not allowed to face the Terminus, my new Master--Mistress?--would not permit it."  She seemed almost disappointed.

"That's probably good," Danica decided, pursing her lips thoughtfully.  "I mean, it kind of sucks because screw those guys, but if you're going to face the Terminus, you have to have a big team of powerful heroes or you'll just die, right? I remember last year they taught us in hero history about what Young Freedom did, and everybody knows about the Centurion..." She seemed thoughtful for a moment. "Maybe once you're done with school you can look for the Furions?" she offered.  

Looking over her shoulder, she smiled at Elizabeth. "Yeah, it's really good!" she enthused. "They've got like ten kinds of cereal and an ice cream freezer for desserts, and there's always a salad bar and a sandwich bar if you don't like whatever they're serving hot, and on Mondays and Fridays you  can get made-to-order hamburgers! Lots of metahumans have really fast metabolisms, so you can take as much as you want, but you're not supposed to take any out of the cafeteria. People still do," she added, "but you've gotta be sneaky about it." 

Pan grinned at Abigail's mention of all she could do being tricks. "I do like tricks. I have a few of my own." He couldn't help himself as he waved his hand over his hand, a few sparkling fireworks flying from it. Nothing bright or loud enough to annoy, but enough to look pretty at least. He was sure that others here could do much better than him, but he wanted to show off a bit too. He smiled, setting off from the ground again and floating over to catch up to Danica.

"That all sounds absolutely lovely. I have heard of ice cream, is it as good as it seems? And what are these burgers? Can you put anything on them?" Maybe ice cream would be good on one of those burgers. He couldn't help but wonder.

Abigail shrugged slightly.

"You're not wrong," she said to Danica.  "And maybe I will seek out the Furions after Claremont; it would be good to have some purpose."

She recovered the books so they were no longer floating, and chuckled at Pan.  "The question is often not whether someone could do something, but if they should do something.  Start with cheese on your burger," she suggested.  "Work your way up from there."

"If that's how the food works here I'm definitely going to need to use that gym," Elizabeth laughed - though she was only half-joking. She didn't actually know how her metabolism worked anymore, but the mention of good food in good company had her just this side of salivating. "I'm pretty sure that's how it works, anyway," she added, rolling her hands up in an easy shrug. "That's what my brothers always said. Aha - but you can do so much with a burger! Cheese is good, condiments, pickles, bacon. Peppers, mayonnaise, special sauces....so many things to try. I kind of envy you! You get to try them all for the first time."

She'd been staring up at nothing as she spoke, and had to take a moment to pull her brain back up out of her stomach. "But, um. Starting simple is probably good, you never know what you might like."

Starting simple, with just cheese? But what else made up a burger? And Pan liked to try many things at once and get a proper adventure out of it. Elizabeth's suggestions sounded great. He wasn't quite sure what everything was, but if the special sauces were special, then then had to be great, right? 

He nodded thoughtfully at Abigail and Elizabeth's suggestions. They were right. He was lucky to be able to try something for the first time, at least something that they all took for granted. "But starting simple is not how I do things. Tell me, what makes the best burger for you! Then I will make sure to try that first!"

"Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce-cheese-pickles-onions on a sesame seed BUN!" Danica sang as she sped along the sidewalk, her wheels seeming to hum along. "Don't put ice cream on it though, it'll make the bun all soggy. Ice cream goes on a crunchy cone with sprinkles on it, and if you're feeling really adventurous, you can stick your french fries in it. Last year some of my friends and I tried to get everything from the sandwich bar into one sandwich and grill it on the panini press. It was awful!" she told them enthusiastically. "It wouldn't even cook in the middle, so we had to get this one senior girl who could set things on fire to cook the middle for us and she told us we were all dumb but she did it anyway!" Their journey now was taking them around a little vine-covered building, half-lost amidst a little copse of trees. "Oh, and there's the chapel," she said, waving a hand in its direction as they passed. "It's mostly from when this was a private school for regular kids, but sometimes there's weddings or funerals or other special occasions in it." 

"Da I do love half dozen burgers..." Jack said softly, mostly to himself. He felt a bit awkward with the group and felt like he stood out...which in all honesty, he did. He chuckled softly to ease his tension. "Students get married? Seem crazy...but den again dis is America..." He let the joke trail off.

Elizabeth shook her head in wonder and mock frustration. "Oh, man! I don't even know what my favorite burger would be," she said - she was playing up for effect, a bit, falling into her own stride now that she'd been talking to new people for a while, but the ill-directed nervous enthusiasm was still there. "It's always so different, there's always something new to try! It's really hard to go wrong with the classic, though - cheddar cheese, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, tomato, bacon. Nothing too fancy, nothing too simple. Then you can move up to, I dunno - I had a really good one that was all blue cheese and vinegar onions."

Pausing just long enough to cock her head at the chapel, she had to hop a bit to catch up to the rest as they continued on. This tour had no brakes. "Hopefully more weddings than funerals!" she said, smiling. "I don't think they'd marry students. Gosh, I hope not. That's really romantic, but seems like it'd be really...not good."

"I'm a vegetarian," Abigail said not adding that the smell of cooked flesh tended to kill her appetite.  Nobody needed to know that, or the reason why that was.

"So if I were to have a burger," which sounded unlikely from her tone, but not completely outside the realm of possibility, "it wouldn't even be meat to start.  Maybe made of lentils, though they're doing some interesting things with pea protein and lab created heme."

She shrugged, "Dijon mustard, some onions and arugula.  Simple."

Pan nodded thoughtfully at the suggestions. The burger truly sounded like a wonderful meal, that could be enjoyed in so many ways. He were already looking forward to the first Monday. It was even possible to make them for a vegetarian, from the sound of it! Simply wonderful. Not that he was quite sure what a vegetarian was, but he thought it might be rude to ask.

"So, I guess marrying young is not normal here then?" He mused about it for a moment. He really wasn't sure how it was back home, if it was different at all. It was interesting, though. The part about funerals weren't as cheerful, but he decided not to comment right now. It was the life of a hero and adventurer, and it might end soon. Not that he liked the thought.