Assemble!

Gizmo

So many rules! And a curfew! And not letting them go out to explore the marvelous city that surrounded them! Pan frowned in his seat, even as he kept his attention on the headmistress. Well, for the most part at least. Hearing the commotion, he just managed to catch Nicole leaving the room. Part of him wanted to follow. Even if it was important to listen, he was not good at sitting still like this. And he was curious about what had happened. Still, he was at the front of the room, and leaving would probably attract the wrong kind of attention. With a sigh of defeat, he turned back towards the headmistress, waiting for her to continue.

His thoughts quickly drifted. He hadn't been present for the Terminus Invasion, but he had heard about it from others, and he had seen the aftermath. Pan had wondered if it was the reason he had ended up here. It was probably just a coincidence, but part part of him doubted that. His travel between worlds and a major incursion into this world? If anything, him coming here could have been a side effect. At least in why he had come here out of all places, instead of anywhere else.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She whistled, low and long but impressed nonetheless as she watched Dio pace in the confines of the hall. "That place is pretty expensive." There was a pause and she blinked, Dio's breath filling the hall. Then she broke the silence with a chuckle. "Okay. That place is hella expensive."

"Yeah, that sounds nice. I'll go," she nodded her head, sealing the date. She gave him a genuine smile, teeth flashing and all. "Thanks for the tip."

She waited patiently for the dragon to emter the auditorium again and when she was alone once again, wheeled around and down the hall, humming a tune until she turned the left and disappeared around the corner, the speech from Mrs. Summer now barely heard.

For sure after the assembly Summers would jump on her faster than a starving lion on a deer served well-done, but she could very much handle that.

All she needed was one good thing to make her day and she found it at the start of her day. Nevermind Zenith.

Now, she had a textbook to finish.

Edited by Zeitgeist Blue

“Despite what some of your upperclassmen may tell you however I’m not primarily here to crush dreams and ruin fun,” Summers continued dryly with a ghost of a smile. “I’m happy to say that in the process of restructuring the physical education department we’ve put together something students have been asking for for a long time: an intramural league.”

The headmistress tapped something on her lectern and a dozen copies of the school’s crest appeared on the wall behind her, each in a different vivid colour: red, blue, green, orange and more. “Your squad will be your peers and mentors for academic, athletic and artistic challenges throughout the school year. Yes, there will be prizes. No, there is not a headwear-based categorization process.”

Zenith was more apt to pay attention to Summers, if just because the more attention was paid the sooner this will be done and then...

Are you kidding?  Hogwarts.  Great.  She rocked back in her chair, theatrically, miming a  silent groan as her head fell back, draping the riotous locks of hair, that seemed if made from shifting colors and plasma.  As in the literal energized gas.  If she was rolling her eyes, it was hard to tell.

Most assuredly she was, and as her hands flopped down to her sides to hand, the string for the cats cradle became as if unto light and scattered as it stretched and hit against her lap.  Her eyes closed then, before hands rose to press fore and middle fingers to her temples, and rub at them.  She managed to be quiet, for her, murmuring at him, "LeRoy, right?  Anyone ever tell you not to get in the middle of a girl fight?  Wait... nevermind, you're one of them, huh?  Anyway, bad first impressions, and she is a snarky thing that gets under my skin.  Good? Good."

Already sketching out plans to challenge and stretch the bounds of these restrictions Kam was caught by surprise with the next reveal.  At a school like this competition was inevitable, arguably even a benefit if properly channeled.  Such as this.  The prince let out a slow sigh.  Both a more productive outlet for the students energies and perhaps more importantly peer pressure not to lose face or prizes for the team with rule breaking.  She was very good.

He leaned over toward Janus and Victoria, "So you think we get to pick teams?"  he asked in a hushed whisper.  With so broad a base of competition he could think of few he'd rather have on his team than the already experienced Danger cousins.  Settling back into his seat he pondered the possibilities of such a structure.  It was to say the least an unexpected twist.  One of many they would experience in their time here he would wager.

Selena took careful notes, though if anyone was looking at her notebook they would see the writing was in Hangul, as the headmistress of the school spoke.  Each word written down had the young magnetokinetic silently and unconsciously mouthing the Korean translation.  Her eyes however widened at the announcement of the intramural squads and she had to all but stop herself from letting out a cheer.  While she might have been the first to suggest the idea, she had been one of the teens who dropped off notes suggesting it to the teachers whenever the opportunity had arisen.

"Ooooh," she whispered, "This is going to be good.  I can't wait for the Sorting Hat to get forced into the announcement, despite the Boss' wishes."

Edited by Azuth65

Monica continued to follow along with the level of interest she felt appropriate for a situation like this. She cared a lot more about the academic side of it all than the social side. She needed to earn some top grades if she wanted to have any chance at making it. That probably wouldn’t leave much time for social stuff, even if she’d actually wanted to have some of it, which for the moment was still a rather firm no.

People here weren’t bad, sure, and so far she hadn’t made any major negative experiences. Summers continued on, about some sort of “squad”. So much for that. As it turned out she’d get forced into the social part no matter what. Maybe it’d be alright, with some luck the whole “academic mentor” thing Summers talked about would be seeded in some way? For now Monica just looked around the room, judging other’s opinions at this reveal and trying to keep the most interesting ones in mind, for the chance she’d end up with people who had a strong opinion about this all.

Pan smiled at the thought. So, they would get put into teams to compete against each other. Oh, that would be good. Competition! Grand rivalries! He was already imagining using the exercises and competitions in the gym that Danica had shown him. Or, given what he had heard about this place, even wilder things. 

His eyes lit up as he happened on another thought, any memories of the curfew and restrictions momentarily forgotten. Maybe they would be judged on their adventures and the crimes that they stopped! Oh, that would be brilliant. He couldn't wait to see who he would be teamed up with.

This was one of the few things Ashley had been prepared for. All of them nice and safe, even if they have destructive powers - wait a minute! She and Jaycee were the only girls on the Blue Team. She shot a look over at her ward, who was herself craning her head to get a look at the other students, and realized something. She's going to want to date them. Damn damn damn! On the other hand, maybe Jaycee's conservative upbringing would mean she wouldn't want to date a boy who didn't share her values. So do I encourage her in that, or do I try and get her to open up a little? She took off her glasses and rubbed her eyes. And how the hell did I find myself needing to care about the dating life of a sixteen year old? Her glasses off and unable to see behind her, she took a few moments to imagine herself doing something more rewarding. Presidential detail after this; Presidential detail after this... 

Veronica

While Veronica was not particularly thrilled with the restrictions that were being placed on them, she was a bit more pleased to hear about the new intermural completion.  Even if it was likely in part to try to help curtail attempts to get around the curfew and other restrictions.  She certainly would look forward to the challenges the competition would likely bring, particularly in a place such as Claremont and its varied student body.

As Kam whispered over to her an Janus, Veronica looked over at the Dakanan prince as she gave his question a bit of thought.  "Perhaps, but I could see them concerned with trying to make things somewhat balanced out."  She whispered back.  It just seemed to her that allowing the students to pick their own teams had a number of inherent problems the headmistress would want to avoid, such as preventing a collection of power, ability and experience into one team that would make it difficult for any other team to truly compete. 

Well that was one hell of a turnaround. Was this just how American schools operated. Hit them with the bad news first and immediately come back with something they might find not to bad. Given how Astrid could hear everyone chat among themselves over excitement when just a minute ago when they were groaning it seemed to be effective. To Astrid though it felt manipulative and made her think of her mother in a way that just put a bad taste in her mouth. 

She signed. Best not to think about that or I'll be angry all day.

She tried to think about the silver-lining to all this. Sure she wouldn't be allowed to go on the town whenever the hell she damned well pleased but she at least she'd she get to have a squad to hang out while she was stuck here. Astrid put her hand to her cheek. Then again, she thought, this could just be the Headmistress' way of pairing rebellious people off with students that who would be inclined to abiding by the rules, thus making it a whole lot easier to keep them in check? It was paranoid, sure, and even Astrid had to admit it was kind of a conspiracy theory but in a school like Claremont it didn't seem that crazy. 

Edited by Cubismo

Elizabeth wasn't sure what to think about all this; she absently pulled a large coin out from goodness-knows-where and began rolling it across her fingers. It would periodically disappear, hidden or transferred to her other hand by some sleight or trick, but even she wasn't watching it - twice as quiet as the cards, if only half as good at keeping her hands busy.

Curfew sounded not great, but she could probably get around that...or get into trouble later. She'd never been to detention, maybe it would be interesting. The competitions, though, that was something else. Maybe she'd be lucky? She'd been awfully lucky, lately - maybe they'd be great people and good friends, and not miserable jerks.

Micah had been doing the best he could to not draw attention from anyone during the announcements by the Headmistress. That not-quite-glare she'd sent out had nearly paralyzed him, despite knowing he wasn't really the target. She just had that kind of presence.

He saw most of the others getting almost up-in-arms over the curfew and the in-city travel restrictions, but truth be told...Micah didn't mind. He wasn't really an "out on the town" sort of guy, and while his roommate had enough energy for the two of them (and a couple rooms besides), Micah wasn't suddenly hit with an insatiable urge to explore Freedom City. He'd heard about the Invasion's toll on things, and didn't want to make anything worse for their teachers.

The intermural teams idea was...interesting. He chuckled a bit at the Harry Potter reference, but was genuinely curious how these teams would be determined...

Lulu's eyebrows went up at the mention of squads; this might not be do bad! Of course, all of it depended on who ended up on your team; if her experiences at Bible study camp had taught her nothing else, it was that in any given team, there were always both good kids and jerks. The trick was in figuring out who to hang out with and who to avoid, which was usually pretty obvious within the first week.

Ah hope Janus is on my squad; he sure is cute!

Quote"LeRoy, right?  Anyone ever tell you not to get in the middle of a girl fight?  Wait... nevermind, you're one of them, huh?  Anyway, bad first impressions, and she is a snarky thing that gets under my skin.  Good? Good."

"One of...? Oh! Visitors, from other worlds? Yes, well-spotted Corinne!"

Thankfully, the golden-eyed boy managed to keep to a relatively low volume.

"Really? Women here are so dangerous?" Far from anything else, Zenith's curt reply made the boy visibly more intrigued, the pen flashing between his fingers as he spun it, eyes shining.

"Are you two scheduled for a duel? I had heard this was a violent planet, but Mother rarely gave specifics and all of what I learned seemed to be about men." He sighed "Ugly besides. Truly this is a world of fear and sorrows. Strength to your arm and heart, Corinne, may you soon end them."

Resting his strong jaw on a mighty fist, listening intently to the address and scribbling something underneath a rough copy of the Claremont Academy crest, Leroy was briefly silent as Headmistress Summers detailed the faction system. He very noticeably did not pursue any further questioning about Nicole.

"Are there monsters on this Earth?" he asked very suddenly, a slight frown creasing his scarred face, "I mean, tangtals, manticores, fomorians, dragons, that sort. Father assured me no, but I suspect he was not entirely truthful. They are common in the ancient art I have seen, and the Dragon's Daugher series contains specimens consistent with those from Earth-2. Such lore comes from somewhere."

She jerked her head back, tucking her chin a little as she regarded him, then she laughed, as she reached up and stroked fingertips under his chin, ignoring his personal space in the process.  Of course it also drew a chuckle that was louder than she wanted, even if she caught herself a moment too late.  "Oh, you are delightfully naive.  Corinne isn't here right now," her voice was softer, though her brilliant eyes watched him, as her mouth was twisted into a crooked smile.

"We don't duel here, they get pissy if we try something like that.  Even if the little hussy wants to throw above her weight, I don't generally punch down, but people really want me to make an exception."  Shaking her head a little bit, as she moved her hand from him, her touch having the slight tingle of a battery.  "But, I am sure you'll figure it out, follow someone else's lead, preferably not me, and whoever your Hufflepuff lead will be.  Or, color coded.  Apparently."  She snorted a bit, and shaking her head as she looked at the chart, and then idly started looking around at the other students.

Eyes going back to Micah, Adam, Janus, Veronica, as persons of interest, before back to the dread Summer.

Edited by TheAbsurdist
  • 2 weeks later...

Jack scratched his head a little bit as the head mistress spoke. He was clueless to the goings on of the academy in his absence, but he didn't remember hearing about an invasion...he wondered what all he had missed. "Da, A noble ideal to be sure..." He whispered to his newest dark skinned friend. "I commend your spirit." He accent came out low and breathy. His attention was drawn to the mention of a curfew and restrictions...which he did not enjoy in the slightest. Animals were meant to be free.

• Gizmo unpinned this topic