Texan BBQ

Supercape

Estelle nodded. "Good eye, Queenie! Let's see if we can have a word." There was no way Gossamer could match Maybelle's speed, but then she didn't have to; she just had to move in position behind the truck while they were distracted by the irrate flying chef. Like something out of an H.G. Wells novel, the blonde heroine floated over to the monster truck, suspended high in the air atop shimmering golden coils, some of which were ready to wrap around a real axle if need be.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

The punk looked up at both the superheroes ahead. 

"Aw...shoot! I didn't ask for this!" he groaned. 

On closer inspection, he seemed to have orange sunglasses tightly fit to his face, and a slightly ashen skin. His clothes were cool leathers, his lips a cool smirk. His orange mohecan matched his orange eye lenses. Whilst cool, the three thugs with him looked less cool, and certainly less smart. 

"OK heroes! Ya got me!" he called up. "I mean...ya do got me, right? Cos I ain't done nuthin. So I guess you have some evidence someone made up somewhere that says ya got me?" he shouted, almost sneering. 

Estelle shrugged and crossed her arms, looking nonchalant. Of course, he had a point, as they were operating in a legal gray area, but right now he was their only solid lead.

"Actually, we'd just like to ask you a few questions, if that's all right. A Mr. Figg indicated that you sold him some ingredients for use in his barbeque; is that correct?"

Meanwhile, the WEST sensor equipment was approaching the van via a long, golden tendril, creeping up like a snake from the other side of the vehicle.

Edited by Heritage

GM

The Orange haired punk shrugged his shoulders, a punk smile on his punk lips. 

"Yeah, sure. I gave him something special" he answered. "My name's Smokey, by the way. I like a bit of smokin'! That's why I came to this here joint..." he explained, pointing vaguely at the BBQ festival. 

"So lets just all chill out and be cool, huh?" he offered. "No need to get hot under the collar about this. See, I got this freind. Crazy chick, deals with chemicals and plants and all that stuff. Said she had something to try out for the festival here. Something real spicy. Now, she knows her greens, does this chick. So I figure, lets try it out!" he said, grinning a big grin. 

"Hey, I was a bit drunk...and...ah...well, this Greenfingered chick, she also...ah...grows stuff...." he said, vaguely. 

Queenie sighed. She didn’t like this guy’s attitude. There’s been an explosion because of him. People were hurt. And he apparently didn’t care. She stifled an irrational urge to simply smack him. “Greenfingered, huh? We’ll need to know where to find her. And you’ll need to talk to the police.” Honestly. Figg was worth two of this doofus. “Don’t go disappearing. If she can’t be found you’re on the hook for all this.” She pointed at the damage, injuries, and emergency teams. “Please don’t make me find you.” Via the Ring, she lifted the monster truck as easily as if it was a feather. Its tires were a full six feet off the ground. She fought off another irrational urge, this time to just drop it, and lowered the truck gently back to the ground. She smiled sweetly. “Thank you for your cooperation, sunshine.”

Edited by EternalPhoenix

GM

"Hey, hey, take it easy, will ya!" Gasped Smokey. "I ain't going to fight two superheroes! Look, I ain't a good man, I admit it. But I ain't a total to drag either" 

"So I'm cooperating. I'll take ya to greenfingers. I was gonna drive ya" he offered. "Me and my crew are at her disposal. Like I said, we ain't gonna ever be upstanding members of society. But even if we live in da gutter, we got some kinda line..."

He nodded at their truck. "Do ya want a lift, or ya going to lift us? As long as you don't leave me stranded without my wheels, good by me!" He grinned

Queenie unfolded her arms. “I’ll follow you. Give me a minute to pack up. Doctor Havilland, please keep an eye on them while I’m away.” Most of her booth had been donated from one charity or another, if not the festival organizers themselves. Honestly, the only thing she was worried about was her chef’s hat. She quickly packed it and a few other things into her hiking (well, flying if she was being honest) backpack, slipped it on, and returned to the monster truck. “Thank you, Doctor. Shall we go?”

GM

"Sure thing, boss!" replied Smokey, giving a cheery salute and jumping in his truck. He gave the engine a powerful rev, and set off. He did not drive fast, and was making no attempt to sneak off or evade. He was not exactly driving slowly, either, but he was giving the two superheroes ample time and ability to follow him. 

And it did not take long. A couple of miles, at most, through dusty southern dirt tracks, till they came to a ramshackle, almost ruinous old farmhouse of wood and rot. Vines and moss seemed to cover every wall and most of the roof. The ground around it was alive with undergrowth, with mushrooms and flowers, with fruit and vegetables. It had a slightly pleasant sweeting rotting smell to them. 

"Here we are! Now, be careful...she's a bit...cooky...." muttered Smokey, tapping the side of his head...

"Not a problem," Estelle said as Queenie went to pack up; she remained hovering in the air, arms folded as she coolly stared at 'Smokey'. She had a very bad feeling about all of this, and didn't like the sound of this 'greenfingered chick' at all. Using several thin strands of hair like fingers, she discretely sent a text to Agent Pepper via the datalink on her forearm.

BELIEVE WE'VE FOUND SUSPECT. TAKING US TO HIS SUPPLIER. HE MAY BOLT IF HE SUSPECTS TAIL. TRACK MY GPS. WILL CALL IF NEED BACKUP.

When the master chef returned, the blonde heroine nodded crisply. "Yes, lets." She followed along as before, like a Martian tripod crossing the dry Texas landscape. When they arrived, she squinted at the dilapitated farmhouse all covered in plant life. Leaning over, she muttered to Queenie. "If by any chance she's some sort of plant controller, we're in trouble; she has a lot of raw material on hand."

There was a sickly sweet smell on the wind, but Gossamer couldn't place it.

“I’m not planning on provoking the woman, Doctor.” Queenie didn’t have a bad feeling about this. Nor did she sense any disturbance. And her force field was up. So…caution, yes. Timidity, haha no. From the truck’s location she used a normal sized silvery fist to knock on the farmhouse door. “Define kooky, Smokey. Because I have met some kooky folks in my life.” She was not unaware of being kind of a weirdness magnet, and she’d been to space a ton of times. So…her standards for kookiness were not the same as others.

GM

Smokey nodded, half-listening to the banter and reflections of the two superheroes. 

"Just don't her mushroom soup" he offered, as what was probably rather sage advice. Many different mushrooms grew on her roof and in her garden, and it would be unwise indeed to eat them. 

He knocked on the door of the ramshackle building whilst his three mates stayed in the truck. 

"Greeny! Its me, Snokey!" he shouted at the door. "Let me in!"

"Bog off! I'm coming down hard..." said a womans voice, fainlty, through the door. 

For the door was still slammed shut and showed no signs of opening...

Queenie’s silvery hand banged instead of knocked, as she joined Smokey at the door. “This isn’t a social call, ma’am. I’m Queenie and my associate is Doctor Havilland. There was an explosion at a barbecue festival earlier. We’re tracking down the cause and would really like to talk to you.” Was it cop speak? Maybe a little. She wasn’t sure it was even possible to be a long term American citizen and not have seen a thousand hours of police procedurals.

GM

The door opened. 

Well, it would be more accurate to say it creaked open, so rotting it was that it almost fell apart whilst doing so. A few puffs of dust from agitated lichen and mold filled the air. 

Greenfingers, it turned out, was rather handsome. A striking face with striking cheekbones. 

She was rather unkempt, too. Wild jet black hair, deep brown eyes. Green painted fingernails. Her skin, however, was reassuringly olive. Her clothes were green spandex, as one might imagine a scientist in protective gear might make. 

"Yes, yes! What do you want? I'm busy!" she muttered, her voice harsh and raspy. 

By this time, Estelle had joined Queenie by the door, lowering herself to ground level. As of now, her golden hair floated around her, almost as though underwater, ready for even the slightest  sign of trouble to act.

"Mr. Smokey here said that you provided him with a certain substance, perhsps s type of fuel, which may be linked to an explosion that nearly killed several people. Can you tell us a bit about this material, and describe it's properties?"

GM

"Smokey! Why you double-crossing son of a ----" spluttered Greenfingers, her face quite livid. Why, her green eyes almost turned red from rage!

"Hey hey! Don't blame me, honey!" chuckled Smokey. "You play with fire, you gonna get burned!"

It looked for one moment that Greenfingers might explode with fury. The veins on the side of her neck seemed to pulse. Maybe it was a trick of the light, but they looked more green than blue. 

"Oh, don't get taken in by that scum!" she pleaded to Gossamer. "Sure, I have been working on some biofuels. Yeah, I got a masters in biochemistry. A PhD in botany. And I am conducting some research. But...he is the one who gave me the fuel to refine! I just encoded it in some fungus! He harvested it! Thief! Scoundrel!"

Queenie held up her hands placatingly. “Let’s keep it calm, everybody.” She shook her head as if to clear it. “So Greenfingers is working on putting fuel in plants. She’s succeeded, more or less.” She frowned. “But what exploded was Smokey’s idea to have her make, and then he stole and used it at the festival.” Yes, she didn’t like Smokey one bit. She folded her arms and glared sternly at him. “I’m not a legal expert, but it sounds like Smokey’s the one we need to hold responsible from the trouble at the festival.” She shifted her gaze to Greenfingers, dropping the glare. “But…AEGIS or somebody like that is gonna want to have a chat with you, Greenfingers. The fed get testy about explosives. Do I have that about right, Doctor Havilland?”

"Yes, that sounds about right," Estelle said as she looked back and forth between Smokey and 'Greenfingers'; as was often the case, she imagined the truth lay somewhere between the two narratives, though at the moment, she was more inclined to believe her fellow scientist. However, that didn't mean she wasn't concerned about the woman's research; it looked more like barely-contained chaos than any sort of controlled experiment.

"Madam, I feel a bit ridiculous referring to you as 'Greenfingers'; can we have your name and academic credentials? And as organic chemist in my own right, I must admit to be fascinated by your work; may I ask who is funding your research?"

GM

"Sunny Green" replied Greenfingers, aparantly telling the truth despite the funny (but appropriate) name. "I have an almost degree in biochemistry and nearly a masters in plant physiology from Freedom City University!" she declared proudly. 

She pointed at the shambolic hut. "Does it look like I get funding? I am broke. I grow my own foods, and sell my...ah...produce....for enough money to buy the equipment I have!" she explained, irritated. 

"Yeah, you sold me a flamin' bomb!" replied Smokey, grinning, taunting. 

"Liar!" spat Greenfingers. "I gave you a biofuel and you and that...little thing you have....you made it into a bomb! AAARGH! Ill tear you apart!" she shouted, completely losing her temper and making a lunge at Smokey. 

"Save me!" gulped Smokey, looking at Queenie and Gossamer for protection. He was worried, but he had a nasty grin on his face too, pleased with himself he had taunted Greenfingers so effectively....

Greenfingers lunge was hard fast and furious, barging in between Queenie and Gossamer. She was hardly a skilled fighter, but she was fast, and determined, and somehow that fury gave her a a dangerous edge. But Smokey was waiting, and whilst he was not as fast, he was twice as cunning, stepping back from her steely fingers...

Edited by Supercape

So...not the most reputable of scientists, especially since it sounded like her incomplete degrees were being completed online (despite her attempts to not be an upper class snob, this was one of her blindspots). Still, redirection and encouragement were preferable to incarceration, so hopefully there was still hope.

As for Smokey, Estelle was familiar with the type: hucksters and swindlers who targeted eccentric researchers and abused their trust. With a rather unladylike grunt, she attempted to snatch the con man and Houston him into the air, but he proved to be a highly evasive target, easily slipping through her golden grasp.

Meanwhile, the grifter's compatriots attempted to attack her, though only one blow actually connected, its force harmlessly disipated throughout her protective garment.

GM

"Whaddya trying to get me for! She's the one with the bombs!" said an indignant Smokey, slipping out of the hairy grasp of Gossamer. 

"I'm innocent!" he said with a cheeky smile that said that he was no innocent, and knew he was not innocent, and knew that Gossamer knew he was not innocent, and knew that Gossamer knew that...well...and so on. 

But on the other hand he was trying to imply that whilst he might not have been that innocent, he wasn't all that bad either. 

"Lets get her, guys! Damn creepy, all that hair!" said one of Smokeys friends. The bully boys that were Smokey's buffoon like friends took to kicking and punching Gossamer, who was frankly to fast, strong and tough to consider them much more than mildly vexatious mosquitoes....

Edited by Supercape

Okay yeah, they weren’t doing this. Queenie’s forcefield flared with silvery light and of all things a silvery variant on a plastic dinner container (sectioned off for meat, starch,and veggies) rose around everyone. Gossmer, Smokey, and his boys were in the meat section. Greenfingers found herself in the veggie section, and Queenie was in the starches. “I said, let’s remain calm here. There’s no need to get violent.” She glared hard at Smokey. “Stop provoking her, or you’re walking back.” A more undersanding look for Greenfingers. “Look, I know you’re upset, but you’re doing exactly what he wants you to do. Please, calm down.”

GM

The Forcefield pinged into the air with silver tones. And yet, somehow, Smokey was fast enough to jump out the way. For all his bluster, he had demonstrated that he was not just bluster. He was fast, and slick. Behind those orange sunglasses and orange hair was an experienced, quick witted, quick footed gentleman. 

"Hey, I'm cool! I mean, I'm hot. But cool as well. Hotcool. Or coolhot. However you like it!" he grinned, quite happy with the situation it seemed. 

"CALM DOWN? CALMDOWN?" screamed Greenfingers, banging against the forcefield with serious force. She looked like she had the strength of two or three women. Might be just the fury. Might be something else. 

"HAVE YOU EVER SEEN SOMEONE CALM DOWN WHEN YOU TELL THEM TO CALM DOWN?" She screamed, furious still. "ITS THE BEST WAY TO MAKE THEM ANGRY!"

Now seeing that Ms. Green might be the most dangerous character present, Estelle shifted her focus to the odd researcher. She still wanted to keep some of her hair free in case Smokey or one of his 'pals' started to make trouble, so she only used about half of her locks to secure the enraged scientist. Unfortunately, this may have been a mistake, as even though Gossamer was able to get a grip on her, Green showed a surprising ability to slip free of her grasp, causing the blonde heroine grunting in frustration.

Please, we're not trying to hurt anyone! We're just trying to resolve this matter peacefully!"

GM

"Gragh!"

Greenfingers' vocalisation was prime example of who vexation could thwart eloquence. 

Still, the hair going this way and that caused her to redirect her anger. Perhaps, even, mute it. Just a hint. 

She pointed an accusatory finger at Gossamer, intent on verbal fury, but not - at least not quite yet - physical violence. 

"I'm just minding my business! Doing research! Science! Seeing what can be done with cross breeding and genetic mutation! He is the one that steals!" she finished, pointing at Smokey. 

"Liar!" hissed Smokey. 

"Aren't you meant to arrest him or something?" asked Greenfingers at Queenie and Gossamer both. "All I did was create a high potency unstable biofuel from mutated orchids! And he purified it into...a glorious bomb!" she snapped, letting an adjective slip rather lazily from her lips. 

Queenie held up her hands placatingly. “Of course we’re gonna arrest him. Or whatever the law lests us do around here.” Technically, Queenie had been deputized (after a fashion) as part of federal law enforcement. It was a super team thing. She met the president and everything. But they hadn’t called since and she wasn’t sure if it was still going or not. It would not be diplomatic to point out that Greenfingers had broken probably just as many laws, so she kept that thought in her head. “What I’m saying is that you’re giving Smokey exactly what he wants. He wants you mad, irrational, and violent. You’re clearly a smart woman, so stop and think for a minute. Do you really want to give this guy what he wants?”