Codus Immortus: Tsunami

Supercape

Tsunami

Giang listened as Murk went on to discuss the second rule of the Codex.  "So, the same underlying principle as the first rule, only directed that the potential actions of third parties that are unlikely to know of or appreciate the principle."  She replied as she considered the rule and the implications of following it.

"I also do not support the notion of capital punishment, but also have not taken the position that it is my place to impose my will on those jurisdictions that choose to continue to apply it to crimes, save for those instances where a jurisdiction would apply such punishment in a summary fashion without true opportunity for due process."  The young Asian woman replied.  "A somewhat hypocritical position, but one I feel I can make from a moral stand point."

"But to more directly answer your question, it does present something of a moral quandary in terms of not wanting to defy the laws of a country or other jurisdiction that while not ones I would support personally are still justly administered.  It does seem to have the effect of placing an immortal above the laws of mortals, if only in one limited exception.  But again the underlying principle is a compelling, if complicated one.  I believe in this particular case I could abide by this rule."

Mr. Murk

"I sympathise muchly with your thoughts" replied Mr. Murk, rather impressed with the thinking and wisdom of someone so young (especially from his perspective). "I am a man of the law, even whilst I know the law is fallible" he explained. 

"If immortals could walk freely with mortal men, without fear or prejudice, there would be no need of the Codus at all, I think. And yet...the world is what it is. For the most part, we are hidden, and hidden with good reason". 

"The codus does not ask that you break the laws of the world, only that you...judiciously ignore this one" he said, carefully. "It is not a position of comfort, I know, but there may be time when you are glad that this second law of the Codus is in place - for you or your immortal friend" he explained.

"Complicated it is" he sighed. "I should add that you are free to leave the agreement of the Codus Immortus at any point. And, by and large, to sign at any point. As long as this is not done with the appearance or actuality that you are merely entering the agreement when it suits, and leaving it when it does not" he said, more firmly. "We only ask that you preserve the required secrecy of the Codus" he added. 

"As for the third rule, it is relatively straightfoward in nature, although perhaps not in practice. The Club Immortus in which you sit, and the several others around the world, is a haven. There is to be no violence here, unless it is in response to violence. It is, in essence, a final protection..."

Tsunami

Giang listened as Murk commented on her observations regarding the issues surrounding the Codus' second rule.  "I suppose there is the question of why immortals cannot walk openly in the world.  While it becomes more understandable in centuries past, in the modern world there are a number of individuals possessing of great power that are part of society.  It would reason that given the presence of such individuals, the world as a whole would not be greatly surprised to learn there are those who are immortal."

She paused a moment and then gave a small smile.  "But perhaps that is a discussion for another time.  As to the Codus’ third rule, given as it is the requirement I had to agree to before you allowed me to enter the club, I have no hesitation to make the promise on a more indefinite basis."

Mr Murk

"Thank you" answered Mr. Murk, satisfied with all Tsunami's answers. "It is pertinent question. I do not know the answer, although I wonder often. Fear, I think. Everyone is afraid, and fear is often the mother of violence" he pondered. 

He nodded to one of the waiters. 

"The Codex, if you please...."

The Codex was a large leather bound volume, thick with parchment. It had an old, antique feel, and a faint red colour. It came with old fashioned quill and ink well. 

"The Codex Immortus. Herein lies the written word of the Codus Immortus, and the signatures of all those who have agreed to its principles. And, on occassion, those who have left"

He took the great book almost lovingly. 

"It is here for you to peruse, and here for you to sign, if you so desire...." he said, quiet and regal, handing the tome over to Tsunami. 

Edited by Supercape

Tsunami

Giang gave a small nod at Murk's response to her inquiry about why immortals could not walk openly in the world.  "Yes, as much as fear is a natural survival mechanism, in humanity, it has a part in much of the evil that has been done throughout history."

The young Asian woman then turned her attention to the large tome that had been brought out and placed before her.  Running one hand over the red leather cover softly, she gently opened the cover and looked at the first page inside.  She only took a few moments with the code which had just been discussed with her, deciding to move back toward the last page of signatures, finding a cloth book mark attached to the binding marking that page. 

Taking the ink quill, she then signed her name on the next available line.

Mr. Murk

Mr. Murk sat back, not looking at the book, for his eyes were white and blind. No, not looking. But he listened to the most pleasing sound of quill scratching against old paper. He could even hear the sound of quill being dipped in ink well. 

And it was most pleasing to him. A broad smile split his face. 

"Then it is done. I hope you shall never need the protection of the Codus Immortus...but never is an awfully long time for an immortal" he summised. "And if...or when....you do, then its protection you shall recieve" he added warmly. 

"And do feel free to visit the clubs, anywhere there is one. Hong Kong, Freedom City, Cairo, Rio, Paris, and London, as well as here. Each with their own flavour, all sanctuary and welcome"

And with that, he doffed his hat. 

~ Fin ~