Codus Immortus: Tsunami

Supercape

August 14th Delhi...World Oceanographic Conference

Delhi was hot and humid. And this was summer. Combined with the pollution and dust, it was almost unbearable - and quite a jolt to the conference members who were discussing environmental aspects to oceanography. 

It was sunset now, and the blazing sun had at least receded somewhat. The Hotel "Golden Sky" was hosting the conference and even now the air conditionoing systems were working full blast. 

Mr. Murk had left the Club Immortus and assumed the form of an elderly Indian scholar, white hair, white moustache, elegant suit. Even cloaked in the Murk, his appearance changed, he was sweating. He had missed most of the talks this day, including some drama when the remarkable Victor Finn collapsed halfway through his guest talk on shark ecology. The poor fellow was in hospital recovering from dehydration. 

Now, it was tea, a most wonderful assortment of curries and spiced foods, and light drinks. Mr Murk could not resist greed when it came to Indian food. His belly was full and his tongue quite happy. He rounded it off with some Cobra beer, although he had no intention of intoxication tonight. 

His real interest this evening was the young woman called Tsunami. Through process of divination and his vast network of contacts and information, he had come to know her as an immortal...

Tsunami

Giang Trang had come to the conference primarily out of a personal academic interest in many of the topics being discussed the various presentations and panels.  Only recently having graduated with a degree in Oceanography, the young Asian woman had found a position assisting in a research project in Sourthern California, allowing her to continue living where she had during school at UC San Diego and keep a part-time job as a Del Mar lifeguard.  In many ways Giang was uncertain what path she wanted to take with her life now that she was finished with college.  The fact that Giang led a dual life as a superheroine was a rather significant part of that uncertainty.

But for now the young woman made her way through the banquet hall of the Golden Sky Hotel, mingling some with some of the others scientists and researchers at the convention during tea.  While Vietnamese food tended to be less spicy than Indian or Thai, it was not completely uncommon to Giang, particularly as her years spent at Claremont and in college had exposed her to the latter two.  So she had taken the opportunity to experience a sampling of the various foods offered and settled with water to drink as she mingled.

Mr Murk

Mr. Murk approached carefully. He was, of course, quite blind, but between a walking stick and his uncanny senses, he could see Tsunami's soul blazing in his mind's eye. He wore dark glasses, of course, to help conceal his blindness. 

"Pleased to meet you, ma'am" he said, as he enjoyed some rather delicious daal. "Are you enjoying the conference?" he asked. 

As for himself, despite his vast experience, science was never something he had applied himself too other than in the most shallow of ways. He only hoped he would not be asked some complex question on thermal currents or nitrogen osmosis. Or a thousand other terms he had registered but not understood today. 

Tsunami

Giang turned at the sound of the man's greeting and question.  Although she had lived in the United States for over six years, she was not so Americanized to have discarded the cultural values of honoring those who are ones elders.  "I am very pleased to meet you as well honored sir."  Giang replied as she gave a respectful bow to the older gentleman who had approached her.

It was while she was bowing that the realized the man was blind, meaning the gesture would be lost on him.  Not allowing herself to be distracted by this, Giang responded to the gentleman's question.  "Yes, I am greatly enjoying the conference.  This is my first opportunity to attend one."

"And what about yourself?"  She then asked.     

Mr Murk

"It is very interesting" said Murk with a smile. "Although I am not an oceanographer" he conceded, slowly and warmly. "My interests and field of study are somewhat...more exotic" he conceded. 

Approaching an immortal, particularly a young one, was a delicate matter, he had found. And the fact that this woman - as he understood it - was blessed with powers far greater than mere immortality meant a particularly delicate touch was needed. 

"Take, for instance, certain jellyfish like the Turritopsis dohrnii, or hydra. Functionally, biologically immortal. It is these questions of immortality that interest me. What would it mean for a man - or a woman, beg your pardon - to be immortal?"

• 2 weeks later...

Tsunami                                        

Giang listened as the man before her spoke about his field of interest, and she did agree it was a somewhat unusual one, but not completely unconnected to the conference.  “I am not sure most would view the biological immortality of the Turritopsis dohrnii as what is typically thought be immortality.”  She replied with a small smile of her own.

She then shifted to truly considering the serious question posed.  “But as for the implications of a person being immortal, I cannot say I have ever considered what those may be.  From just a practical standpoint, I suppose there is the issue of how an immortal individual might make their way through society without attracting undue attention to that fact, which would include the issue of how the individual would be able to provide for themselves.”

Mr Murk

Mr Murk nodded. She knew her stuff. Which was more than he knew, as an imposter. 

"Very astute, very astute" he agreed. "I would not play the deception further, madam" he said politely. "I am immortal. And, although I may be wrong about this matter, I have come to understand that you are too"

"If I am correct, then do not be alarmed. And know that you are not alone. No, not alone at all. Rare as immortals are, there are certainly more than two who walk the earth. Considerably more" he explained. 

"Forgive my secrecy and deception on the matter. I have come to approach this with caution and subtelty, to avoid alarm. As you say, undue attention is unwise...."

• 2 weeks later...

Tsunami

If Giang was surprised by Murk's admission that he was an immortal, it did not register in her expression.  But at his statement about his belief that she was as well, a slightly puzzled look crossed her face for a moment.

"I cannot really say if I am or not."  She replied after a moment, her voice a bit lower now so as not to carry over the numerous other loud conversations taking place among other attendees.  "I do not know what sorts of signs there would be, other than the obvious halt of the aging process, and so far I have aged as would be expected for someone my age." 

Then a look of curiosity came over her as she focused her gaze more firmly on Mr. Murk.  "But assuming you are correct, I am interested in why you are here?  Certainly you do not seek out other immortals just to inform them of their extended lifespans."

Mr Murk

"No, that is true" smiled Mr. Murk in return. It was unusual, dealing with an immortal so young. So unusual, he had forgotten how it went. 

But an immortal was an immortal, whatever their age, with the same vulnerabilities. It was true that at her age, the nuances and difficulties were yet to be experienced. But as the years progressed, it would be hard to hide....

"Do not be alarmed, I come without malice. Even if I did, I doubt I have the strength to inflict my will on you, even if I should wish it" he explained. "No, my intentions are entirely benign. I come with an offer, nothing more, and nothing less" he explained. 

"But this may not be the best place to speak of such matters. If I have your interest, and your trust, I would meet you where we can speak more openly..."

Tsunami

Giang was quite for a moment, seemingly in thought at Murk's suggestion of leaving for someplace more private.  As a young woman, it was always prudent to consider risks associated with such a suggestion, and as harmless as the older gentleman appeared, Giang knew full well appearances could be deceiving.  But then, she was also more than capable of handling herself in a wide variety of situations.

"Well, I know from experience that there are those that are far more capable of harm than they outwardly appear."  She finally replied, her tone neutral.  "But, I am willing to take your statement that your intentions are benign at face value."  She then added, gesturing towards the exit from the hall.

GM

"That is true. Do not judge by appearances" said Murk, actually chuckling slightly. Who would know that better than he? His eyes were sightless, and the Murk was bound to his soul and skin, changing his own appearance dramatically. 

"I am not what I seem, in many ways. However, I cannot reveal my form publically. My intentions are, however, quite honest. I wish you no ill intent. My heart has many pulls on his fibres, but it is committed to the protection of immortals. Not that I am uncommitted to life, but I have always seen the immortal as open to the darker impulses of the mortal heart. Envy, resentment, lust" he explained. "And, with no support, with but a vaccuum where there should be safety of family, I have taken in upon myself to fill the void". 

"But, if you would trust me to explain myself and are interested in hearing my philosophy, as indeed I am interested in hearing yours....shall I call a cab?"

Tsunami

Giang gave a small nod in response to Murk's question about calling a cab as she followed alongside him through the hotel's hallway towards the front exit.  She was primarily focused in thought on his explanation of why he sought out immortals, such as he claimed she was.

"I could understand how one that is immortal could possibly come to be shaped more by such darker emotions.  But from my own experience, family is not always dependable safety.  I cut myself off from the majority of my family because I could not abide to join them in furthering their criminal enterprises."

Mr Murk

And so, in the cab...

"It is but five minutes, traffic permitting" said Mr. Murk, who still judged it too early to let his disguise drop. 

The streets were neon lit and had a refreshing cool hint to the heat now the sun had set. The skies were clear and the stars were out, even if hard to see in the light of the city. Not that this mattered to Mr. Murk, of course. 

"To cut oneself off from one family, mmm....a tale of scars, one way or another. Other the leaving, or the thing that made you leave. Often both" he commented. "You are bold and admirable to do so"

He could not see the way to Club Immortus, but he felt it, somehow. He smelled the smells, heard the rumbles, felt the turn of the cab. 

"Here we are" he said, as they pulled up. 

"Club Immortus. The refuge of the immortal. There is but one rule, for now. No harm or violence towards any other that lies thereine. If to this you can agree, it is your sanctuary too..."

Tsunami

Entering the taxi, Giang waited patiently during the trip to the Club Immortus.  As Murk commented about her cutting ties with her family, the Asian young woman gave a dismissive shrug.  "It has not been an easy choice, and agents of my family, or others aligned with them, have sought me out in the past."  She replied calmly.

She looked over at the Club Immortus as their taxi arrived and Murk introduced it, studying the building as she considered his words.  "I only resort to violence in self-defense or to defend others.  So I give my word that I will bring no harm or violence to any inside."  She replied.

Mr Murk

"I have the same ethos. And yet, I find it less than simple in practice"

Club Immortus of Dehli was suitably Indian in style and decor, harking back to the day of the ran. Elegant but with edge of dusty antiquity.

They sat down to some tea served in equally antique silver served by a sprightly, almost effeminate short haired young man. Or perhaps, given his beauty, a woman dressed in masculine style.

So settled, Mr Musk dispensed with his facade.

In front of Tsunami sat a Neanderthal, dressed in a suit.

"As you can see, I am rather old..." he smiled, looking directly at her with milky white blind eyes.

Tsunami

"Yes, the world can present many situations that makes it more difficult to closely adhere to principle of defensive force."  Giang replied in agreement.  "Although, if other guests in this establishment are following this rule, conforming with that ethos should not be a difficult matter."

Once the pair were inside, Giang studied the antiquated décor of the club, showing little sign of any particular reaction to the style.  She gave a nod of thanks to the server that brought her and her host tea and was just picking up her cup when Murk dropped his disguise and revealed his true form.

While Giang mostly managed to show little sign of reaction to the revel, she did arch her eyebrows slightly.  "So I see."  She replied thoughtfully to Murk's rather understated comment about his age.  "I can only imagine what it must have been like to live through so many millennia of human history and development.  It certainly must give you a rather unique view of the world and our current state of existence."

Mr Murk

Mr Murk sipped at his tea. 

"Unique. Perhaps. I am the last of my race, as far as I know. It is lonely, for the most part, and has made me value love above all, perhaps because I have had a paucity of it, by and large. There is no finer quality in man - or, in times past, my own race..." he said, with a sad smile. 

HIs eyes were wet in memory. 

"This is unchanging, despite every brutality from ignorance, despite ever diminishment from progress" he said, optimistically. "In this view, I do not think I am unique. But several old immortals are drowning in their tears of despair, whereas I only swim in sorrow, tempered with hope" he explained. 

"My years have formed philosophy. The Immortal is not superior to the mortal. But he is the subject of envy for some, at risk of the most abject horrors. To promethean, never ending tortures or torment. With his plight hidden or unrecognised so oft. I do not blame the mortal for envy, or for desire of more life, for life is precious. But I do worry about the consequences of such passions....we are at risk of particular disaster, and with sympathy and sanctuary in lesser supply..."

• 2 weeks later...

Tsunami

Giang listened as Murk described his past and long life, as well as his basic philosophy.  "I could imagine it has been a long, lonely time.  Clearly you have found your way in the world that has shaped over the millennia, but I imagine it has not be easy."

She was quite a moment, thinking about what Murk had been talking about and then spoke once more.  "So, if I understand things correctly, you have established this 'Codus Immortus' as a sort of support system for other immortals.  But, I suppose the question is what of those immortals that are already so far gone that they do not see a need for any such support?"

Mr. Murk

"Then, no support they shall have" replied Murk gravely. For all his smiles and heart, here he was cold steel. 

"I am a man of the Law. I have seen the brutality of many an ages, and I have come to one inescapable conclusion. Whilst the Law is not beyond critique. Whilst Law may be wrong, cruel, or foul, it is the architecture on which build a fair society" he explained. "The times past, when law was corrupted or absent, believe me, they were unpleasant" he said, not happy with the recollections. "They belonged to the man - or woman - with strength, be it of arm or other means. The weak suffered". 

"The Codus does not provide sanctuary to those that would not provide it themselves" he concluded. "And make no mistake, our members are not some secret society which protects its members from the world. It is, however, I must confess, a secret society!" he said, a little chuckle escaping him. 

"Before I proceed, can I count on your discretion on this matter? Many immortals do not advertise their immortality the world, for good reason too, I think. I myself operate in the shadows, and it from the murk that I draw my strength. Of course, given my appearance, it might be especially prudent for me to do so...."

Tsunami

Giang listened to Murk's answer regarding how the organization dealt with those immortals that were potentially dangerous and were not interested in working with it.  She did not disagree with the policy, or Murk's adherence to the law, but she was of the opinion that unjust and cruel laws were not something to be followed just because they were law.  However, that was not the topic of debate at the moment and she did not feel it needed to be.

When Murk asked for her discretion, the Asian young woman gave a small smile.  "That was probably something you should have asked much earlier, such as when you asked for the promise of no violence."  She paused only a brief moment, before adding, "but yes, I can of course promise discretion on these matters."

Mr Murk

"Thank you" answered Murk. "And you may well be right. It is difficult issue. You see, when I have tried to ask discretion prior to the reveal, it inspires, well, distrust. Few are willing to say that will not speak of what has not been revealed" he explained. "On the other hand, as you say, asking after the reveal is taking a gamble. Alas, I have found no satisfactory solution other than to trust my instinct. And my instinct, in your case, is to trust you". 

"The principles are laid out as the Codus Immortus. The codes of immortals. And inscribed in the Codex Immortus, the book of immortals. I have tried, as best I can, to keep it from unduly expanding like a fungus. Laws have a habit of doing so. But alas, there are lots of...fiddly bits..." he said with a half-annoyed chuckle. 

"Irrespective of the ink describing how to elect the treasurer, or the process of appealing ejection, there are three binding rules to know"

"Firstly, to not kill an immortal. There are due caveats of self defence of course, but you will I am sure grasp the principle. For myself, I would not kill a mortal either. I do not rank an immortal of greater or less value than a mortal. But there are particular philosophical considerations. If one lives for ever it is not a case of if one commits a henious crime, but rather when. Such is the nature of infinity. One might also consider this. That killing an immortal deprives him of an infinite amount of years. And those years can be spent reforming. Again, such is the nature of infinity. It is not if one reforms ones character, it is when"

He paused, waiting for Tsunami's thoughts on the matter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tsunami

Giang listened as Murk generally discussed the Codex Immortus and then began discussing the three central tenants of the Codex, beginning with the rule of not killing a fellow immortal, baring extenuating circumstances necessitating self-defense.  The Asian young woman considered the reasoning provided by Murk for a moment before replying as he appeared to pause for her reply.  "So, it appears that even those immortals refusing to participate in the Codus receive some general benefit from its existence, whether they know it or not."

She gave a small smile, which then fade as she then added, "although I must say I find it quite disheartening to think that all immortals must inevitably commit some terrible crime.  If such is truly inevitable, I have to question whether immortality is something I truly want."

GM

"I should clarify, the rules apply to those signing the Codus, not those who have not. Whilst I do not condone killing of any kind, personally, if the oath is to have value it must be equitable. The rule is not to kill an immortal who has signed the Codus. Tit for tat, as they say in London"

"As for the future, do not despair" he said kindly. "It may be millions of years, nay, longer, before the fates conspire to make you commit such horrors. Tis the nature of infinity that the almost impossible will eventually come to pass. Consider this before you lament to deeply; the measure of your life shall be the proportions of your actions. A thousand years of virtue and one moment of vice be a great boon for the universe" he explaied, kindly. 

"Besides, your immortality may be beyond your control..."

Edited by Supercape
  • 2 weeks later...

Tsunami

Giang gave a small nod as Murk clarified the Codus rule on not killing a fellow immortal, indicating that, at least by the Codus, the prohibition was only for other immortals that had signed the Codus.  "A fair clarification.  Certainly the prohibition is one I can abide by, for as we previously discussed, I do not use lethal force lightly and thus far have been able to avoid any need to do so."

When he mentioned the possible futures, she gave a small smile.  "I can understand the perspective, and appreciate that I may have little say in whether or not I am immortal and will be in this universe for countess ages to come.  I shall have to put my efforts into ensuring that that balance of my time is indeed beneficial."

Mr. Murk

"I think it will be" said Mr. Murk, with a fair degree of certainty. The future was hardly clear, and yet he caught glimpses and fogged views of it. And, by his estimation, Tsunami's balance was good at worst, admirable most likely. 

"The first rule also, however, applies to inaction. The Codus requires us to use reasonable effort to prevent another Immortal's death. Now, this does not mean exposing oneself to risk, or the such like. What it does mean, however, is that we try to avoid such deaths. A case in point would be not to hand over an immortal to a country or organisation that would, in all likelihood, inflict capital punishment..."

"How does this sit with you? For my part, I would not support any capital punishment, but there are those that consider it appropriate for vile crime...."

"The principle here is that with infinite years comes infinite opportunity to repent"

Edited by Supercape