Head West

The Scarab III
It would have been amusing to watch the three bicker if this wasn't something so important and potentially dangerous. Maybe the three monkey comparison wasn't that far off of the mark...

"I think I might know the reasons for you strange energy reading. Someone had figured out how to turn the crystal into weapons, I've destroyed all the others but I believe he had sample inside of the building."

She might have a way to block the resonance, but she wasn't overconfident enough not to think that he couldn't alter them in some ways.

"Better show me the intel you've gathered and then I'll work out how to stop this man. Once that's all done we can work out what to do with the Daka crystal."

She wasn't planning on handing over to any of them until she was certain of anything, and even then not until she'd run some tests herself.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

"Data? What are you, a scientist?"

As it happens, the Scarab was!

Even standing in the middle of the street, with Agent Fields giving he, on a small hand held scanner, the data she had collected so far, was enough to demonatrate that the Scarab was not just a scientist, but a very good one!

The data did confirm her suspicions - as far as she could tell. Daka weaponry, the Corrupted Daka Crystal and...wait!

Some other type of Daka reading! Something biological!

The corupted daka crytsal had empowered a human! (well probably a human. It might have been a dog, or a goat. But something biological for certain!)

"That reading there!" pointed out Agent Fields. "I can't work out that one for the life of me!"

The Scarab III

In the last twenty-four hours, Kamala had gained more experience in the energy signatures of Daka crystal than she'd ever expected to ever see, which came in useful in exactly these circumstances.

"That some kind of a biological entity, I'd say it's mammalian in nature potentially human." she thought a little before adding.

"It's worrying that the power signatures are intertwined with those of the crystals, there a potential that he's managed to go further than just the use of the crystal as a weapon system!"

GM

"More than potentially. Probably, I would say!" replied Agent Fields, feeling smart by association. 

As she pointed out a few more interesting bits of data (after all, who could not resist the fascinating demonstration of metaobservational wave collapse in hyperalligned molecular isomorphism?) the tall Egyptian man - the intelligence officer - piped up. "You mean somebody has powered themselves with the crystal! Why, how interesting! The potential for weaponisation is....considerable!" he said keenly. 

"It is an abomination, by Allah! Man is God's cretaion and it is not for Man to change himself!" spat out the fat police officer who, despite his considerable corruption, appeared to have cherry picked certain parts of scripture to give himself the joy of righteousness. 

Fields turned to the Scarab. "Honestly, I am glad you are here. I have my hands full sorting out these two here!" she sighed. "We really can't let a Daka crystal, a corrupted Daka crystal, fall into the wrong hands. Officially, the Egyptian government has signed a declaration of coorperation with the UN on this matter, but unofficially, we have to work on the ground, with different persons with differing agenda's..."

Edited by Supercape

The Scarab III

As a businesswoman she'd seen this kind of cooperation before and it was as frustrating here as it was there, at least most heroes managed to normally work together. Generally, when everyone wanted something but not to put in the effort there was an easy way to set yourself up as in charge.

"Someone has to go and retrieve the crystal from the man, who has been empowered by the crystal in inhuman ways. If any of you feel capable of doing that then feel free, otherwise I'll be the one to call the shots from this point on." she looked at Agent Fields, the only capable one here, and smiled before adding

"If that okay with you Agent?"

GM

"Hey, thats fine with me. Im a scientist. A field scientist. But even a field scientist is not a soldier. And it doesn't look like we are going to get any cavalry soon..."

With a bit of wrangling, and cajouling, the spy and the police officer were persuaded or forced to agree it was the only, or at least the best, solution. 

Turning back to the Scarab, a relieved looking agent Fields expressed her thanks. "You got my thumbs up. And my gratitude. But please be careful, if not for yourself, then for the residents of Cairo. We literally have no idea what a corrupted Daka Crystal might do. Well...we do have an idea. It just doesn't really bear thinking about. I don't want the city levelled..." she added, nervously. 

"If you need any help, let me know..il stay in radio contact if I see any abnormal readings!"

The Scarab III

"If you fine with sharing the data I'd like to sync your systems with SAFIYA, she's the suits AI no danger to your own systems I promise. Any floor plans would be helpful as well."

She turned to her erstwhile college for the last few days and managed a smile at him. Kamala wasn't fond of him or trusted him at all, but she'd gotten used to his presence.

"I'm sure you're devastated but I think it best if you don't accompany me from this point on, its got the potential to get pretty dangerous!"

GM

"What? Are you calling me a coward! Why I laugh in the face of danger! I spit in the teeth of terror! I am of course a pragmatic man, and respectful, and would not wish to deprive you of your glory!" declared Misi, quite pleased with his monologue. 

Fields rolled her eyes. "Unfortunately, I don't have that type of scanner. But, our police freind here has been in the house before. For completely honest and legal reasons, I am sure, and not at all to be paid off"

The fat policeman ignored the jibe. The prospect of an explosion that levelled Cairo had quitened him down. He had family here, after all. 

"There is the main reception, kitchen, dining area, and some lounges on the ground floor. No cellar, as far as I know. On the top floor, the master bedroom, some guest bedrooms, and ah...an entertainment room. Where one might imagine people go to smoke, drink, and see pretty girls dancing..."

He blushed. 

The Scarab III

Looking over at the house Kamala made a quick calculation about the possible approaches to enter the place. A direct assault, either the front or the back of the place, was obvious and probably covered by whatever method this person favoured. With all the equipment she carried the obvious approach was the roof, she began to calculate the best approach to make it unseen. Time was probably of the essence, someone must have noticed this little gathering by now.

"Okay, I guess it time I go and do this. Anything I should know before I go?"

GM

"Dont get blasted to oblivion!" was the only thing Fields could add, and whilst reasonable advice it was surely something the Scarab was already intent on. 

With a whoosh of gravitic gravitation, the Scarab landed on the roof of the mansion, and then lowered herself onto the first floor. 

The inside of the mansion had the same feel as the outside. A little old and crumbly, full of rather worn antiques. A beautiful rug here, an intricate four poster bed there. 

And some goons with Daka-powered rifles. They looked like 60s Sci-fi weapons in a cheap TV serial, but clearly they sizzled with power. The Scarab crept past them, counting three of them on the top floor, smoking, playing cards, drinking coffee, being generally relaxed and rather undisciplined. 

The entertainment room was another matter. Also on the top floor, it was full of sumptious cushions and rugs, and gave every indication that it was used for smoking intoxicants and, as the policeman had said, watching pretty girls dance. Probably not wearing much. 

Relaxing on a heap of cushions was a thin man dressed in traditional Egyptian dress, rather expensively. This was surely Yasser Sanu, the arms dealer that Misi and his cousin had talked about. A dangerous, callous, cruel man. 

And that was before. 

Now, his eyes sizzled with blue-white energy and you could almost feel the Daka energy flowing though his veins and crackling over his skin. 

He had, as yet, not spotted the Scarab. Instead, he languished on the cushions, seemiingly (for now) content on enjoying his success, fortune, and prospects. 

The Scarab III
Kamala didn't like to rush things, taking time to gather as much information as she could. But in this circumstance she had to miss a more meticulous floor by floor clearing of potential enemies, the longer she took the more likely that someone would do something stupid. She did take a moment to study Yasser Sanu, it was troubling that he'd used them to gain powers in some way but alas not surprising.

Still, she had to try and take this man down and recover the crystal, so she started her sonic weapon to put out a pulse of subsonic waves that should temporally remove his hearing allowing her a moment or two to get into the perfect position.

GM

If one had ultrasonic hearing, surely one would notice the thrum and hum of disruptive subsonic virbations thrumming and humming through the air! But it appeared Yasser Sanu was still a man, and not a dog. 

A man infused with Daka-power, of course. But whilst he was crackling with energy, and most probably had a number of Daka-powers, they apparently did not extend to ultrasonic hearing. He was blissfully aware of the Scarab's silent blasts of sonic energy, and - given the "relaxation" chamber was quiet anyway - was also apparently blissfully unaware of his new (albeit temporary) deafness!

The Scarab's blasts had done their job!

The Scarab III
With a few more minutes before she was noticed, or he became aware of his deafness, Kamala thought about her options to defeat the man. She was confident that her technology was enough to defeat the thug in chief, but it would have drawn the others and potentially increased the chance that someone would come to harm.

The other options was to disable the power and make him less of a threat, and that meant disabling whatever influence the Daka crystal imbued. If she knew the resonance to block the signal she should be able to induce a destructive resonance. No one outside would be happy, and she'd have to search elsewhere for a crystal to study, but at least it wouldn't be a threat to anyone anymore.

GM

Yasser gave a big yawn, and one could almost see the shiny sparks of power that leapt between his teeth. He looked more bored than tired, and there was a growing restlessness in him. 

After all, with all that power - what would one do?

From what the Scarab had heard about Yasser, he was cold and callous, full of greed, of self importance. He needed to let people know he was the boss, and would jump at anything that would increase his own power. A victim of vanity. Although fortune had lamentable smiled on him. 

He clenched his fists once, twice, and stood up, still apparently unaware of his deafness. He was too preoccupied to notice the difference between complete silence and near silence. 

He walked to the door of the lounge, unaware of the Scarab, and started walking down to the basement...

The Scarab III
Kamala sighed, obviously it wasn't going to be as easy as she hoped. She was still new enough that he might be a threat to her, she briefly wondered how her former namesake would have handled things. Probably much better she guessed, but then again she'd been doing it much longer than herself.

After a few moments, she followed her target a short distance behind, as long as none of his allies turned up his loss of hearing would hide her presence for a while longer. She still tried to be as quiet as she could, even if stealth wasn't really her thing.

GM

Yasser was muttering something under his breath, not easy to hear, but the sharp-eared Scarab caught the gist of what he was saying. 

It was rather disjointed, but Yasser was mumbling religious texts, and more than that - his own spin on it. "Blessed" he was. "Divine gift" he had received. And some rather ominous interpretation of Jihad, which was much more about raging war than inner struggle. He seemed to think that he had been given great power by divine providence, and was intent on exercing it in a most theocratic and tyrannical way. 

And, a muttering that he needed to caress the divine gift. To recharge and recieve its holy power. 

Down he went to the ground floor, nodding to a few gaurds who were too busy studying there fantastic new Daka-weapons than they were to notice the sly Scarab. 

And then, he went to a rather poor quality - but still serviceable safe, turning the knobs to a combination the Scarab could not make out, and opening it...

There it was...a corrupted, blackened Daka Crystal, alive with unstable energy, and in the carressing hands of Yasser...who seemed quite entranced by his prize...

The Scarab III
She hated how some had taken the peaceful words of the Prophet, peace be upon him, and twisted them into a more violent destructive way of men like Yasser. Her family had moved to America to get away from the persecution of men like him, and as much as loved Egypt she didn't regret the decision they'd made.

The crystal couldn't fall into the hands of such people and she'd rather destroy it than allow it to be used to cause greater harm. With no other choice right now she set up her makeshift device to produce a destructive resonance in the crystal. She wouldn't have long before he realised that something was happening, and she'd have to remain to make sure the resonance worked correctly.

GM

The Crystal was corrupted and unstable as it was, and needed but a carefully calibrated nudge to crumble in Yassers hand. 

Crumble, yes. And then...explode!

The delicate and old walls cracked, the glass shattered, the furniture splintered as the crystal exploded in his face. Surely a whole block of the city had heard that!

Amazingly, Yasser seemed to take the explosion right in his face and didn't even blink. He absorbed the strange Daka energy which sparked around his body. 

He sat there, shocked, gawping at the Daka - dust in his hands, not quite able to process his loss....

Edited by Supercape

The Scarab III
Kamala allowed herself a moment of pleasure at her success, thinking how those outside would react to the destruction of the crystal. Still, she didn't know how it would effect Yasser, it might be a permanent change. So she quickly scanned the room for any way to barricade the room from those who would be summoned by the crystals explosion.

Even as she did she kept on an eye of the partially stunned villain standing in front of her, it wouldn't be long till he recovered his senses to try and find who, or what had managed to destroy the crystal. in short, he'd be looking for her.

GM

Yasser slapped his head. Or, more precisely, slapped his ears. 

Why could he not hear anything?

"Hello! Helloooo! HELLLLOOOOO!" he yelled at increasing volume as he realised he could not hear a darn thing. 

Frustrated, he stood up, letting Daka-dust fall between his fingers. His hands crackled with white energy as the last shards fell uselessly to the torn rugs, fully depleted and inert. 

The sorrow had fermented into fury now, and as it did so he became literally incandescent with rage. He span around the room, frantic, until his eyes came across the Scarab!

The Scarab III
It wasn't worth saying anything clever, as far as she could tell he shouldn't have his hearing back, and he wasn't going to be the type to surrender without some encouragement. She went from her search for some way to stop the others entering to one ready for the eventual fight, straightening up.

She put her arm out with her sonic weapon, bracing it with her other arm, ready for his first attack. He wouldn't be able to hear the tones of the weapon charging, but he should be able to see the baleful red glow of the projectors gem like aperture. She'd hoped so that was the reason that she'd designed it like that originally.

GM

Yasser spoke. Well, in fact he shouted. He was deaf, and unused to this condition - and thus quite unable to modulate the volume of his voice. 

"WHO ARE YOU? WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?"

In fact, he might well have shouted even if he was not deaf. He was torn between grief at the destruction of the holy (corrupted, appropriately) daka crystal and fury at the universe for said destruction. 

His hands crackled with energy. The Scarab could clearly see Yasser had been infused with vast amounts of Daka power. Even his eyes glowed. 

"SPEAK NOW! OR BY ALLAH I SHALL BLAST YOU TO A THOUSAND HELLS!"

Edited by Supercape

The Scarab III

Kamala was aware that whatever she did he was going to attack, his deafness probably wouldn’t make a difference. Just as she wasn’t affected by his bluster, he would soon attack whether she answered or not. Still, it was a good opportunity to do the superhero thing and do something impressive. So she smiled as sweetly as she could and mouthed to him.

“The Scarab!”

And whilst she normally wouldn’t attack unless provoked in this situation she decided that this wasn’t a good opportunity for such diplomacy. So she then fired off a burst of sonic energy towards the terrorist.

GM

The sonic wave hit Yasser before he could move...and created quite the little firework display of light and sound thanks to the collision of his white sparking energy and the crunching sonics of the Scarab. Indeed, many observers would, for a second, think it was the fourth of July. 

But it was not the time, nor the place for such celebration. For whilst Yasser took a step back, then energy that would have thrown a lesser man across the room had merely caused him a blooded nose (both literally and figuratively). 

"Destroyer!" he shouted, as loudly as one could imagine - and this time it was rage rather than deafness that inspired such a yell. 

"YOU SHALL PAY WITH YOUR LIFE!"

And with that, he flung streams of lightning at the Scarab...

The Scarab III

As the sonic wave winded it way at towards him,at the speed of sound obviously, Kamala was already on the move. There was limited had room but she used her anti-grav system to gain some height above the ground. She never liked to fight, but she’d spent many hours learning how to when the situation demanded it.

“I’m afraid I plan to keep hold of my life, but I would appreciate it if you surrendered right now!”

She wasn’t sure if he’d recovered his hearing right now, but quips were apparently what superheroes did so she had been practising.