Inexperienced with MnM, need help

FelixZ

First off, this is a great site and I wish I knew about it earlier (golentan had posted a link up and followed that).

Second, I have made one MnM character before, but that was 1st ed, a hero by the name of Gemini. Think of someone with the Flash's cocky nature mixed with kinetic blasts and copying one's self.

And finaly, I have an idea for a character but don't exactly know how to go about it. Character name will either be Wraith or Phantom (I'll end up rolling a die like I do with most dillemas). Concept in one sentence- A shadowmage who made a pact with the demon lord of undeath and ended up being cursed as a vampire, later making ANOTHER pact with an angel in order to rid himself of his curse. Your standard anti-hero complex.

I was thinking of building him completly around the Darkness Control power, with the standard vampire traits built in.

Vampires can be pg-13, as long as they are played in an appropriate way. As for the costs, I'm thinking the usual vampire weaknesses- Can't go over naturallly running water (any river, stream, lake, or ocean whose direction wasn't changed by mankind), sensitivity to garlic, can't stand sunlight, holy symbols, or Micheal Jackson songs. Each drawback would be instant effect, offsetting the abilities of the Vampire.

I knows mees undeads. :ugeek:

Well... More like the newest comic book styles.

Question with Alternate Power:

Can it be taken multiple times for the same power?

Do I need to put ranks into the 'alternates'?

If not, then does the 'original' power rank count for all the 'alternates'?

Question with Alternate Power:

Can it be taken multiple times for the same power?

You can buy different versions of the power, yes.
Do I need to put ranks into the 'alternates'?
Nope, counts as a power feat. One point gives youas many points as you spent on the base power. Example:

Blastman buys 10 ranks of Blast for his base power.

Blast 10

Blastman wants different versions of his blast so he buys an alternate power. He has 20 points to work with his new Blast

Blast 10

AP: Blast 5 (Extras: Autofire, Penetrating)

See at 4 points a rank Blastman's second blast would reach 20 points at 5 ranks. If, God forbid, Blastman did not want to Blast anymore and wanted to turn into Strikeman he could still use his old array.

Blast 10

AP: Blast 5 (Extras: Autofire, Penetrating)

AP: Strike 20

See, alternate powers go by points not ranks. Strikeman is born, but if Blastman is ever needed again, Strikeman knows where to find him.

Vampires can be pg-13, as long as they are played in an appropriate way. As for the costs, I'm thinking the usual vampire weaknesses- Can't go over naturallly running water (any river, stream, lake, or ocean whose direction wasn't changed by mankind), sensitivity to garlic, can't stand sunlight, holy symbols, or Micheal Jackson songs. Each drawback would be instant effect, offsetting the abilities of the Vampire.

I knows mees undeads. :ugeek:

Oh, certainly, vampires have a fine tradition of being in comics. Just please keep them more like the Marvel comics from the 70s, and less like the Anne Rice novels (or 30 Days of Night). :)

One last question: Can I buy the Alternate Power feat for powers that are already Alternates?

Sorta.

You could, for example, do

Power A (20pp; Power Feat: 3 Alternate Powers)

AP 1: Power B (20pp)

AP 2: Power C (20pp)

AP 3: Power D (20pp)

Since, for most Arrays (a power with Alternate Powers), all the effects are effectively "different settings" of the same effect (like a Star Trek phaser), in a way they're all alternate powers of each other.

Now, if you wanted something more like this

Power A (20pp; Power Feat: 3 Alternate Powers)

AP 1: Power B (10pp; PF: 3 APs) & Power C (10pp; PF: 3 APs)

-- AP1 for B: Power B1 (5pp) & Power B2 (5pp)

-- AP2 for B: Power B3 (5pp) & Power B4 (5pp)

-- AP3 for B: Power B5 (5pp) & Power B6 (5pp)

++ AP1 for C: Power C1 (5pp) & Power C2 (5pp)

++ AP2 for C: Power C3 (5pp) & Power C4 (5pp)

++ AP3 for C: Power C5 (5pp) & Power C6 (5pp)

AP 2: Power D & F (split as above)

AP 3: Power G & H (split as above)

Then we'd need to talk. There'd be lots of "No"'s.

Oh, certainly, vampires have a fine tradition of being in comics. Just please keep them more like the Marvel comics from the 70s, and less like the Anne Rice novels (or 30 Days of Night). :)
Yeah, definately more "bleh bleh I vant to suck your blood!", less "XxXSephirothHARDCORELestatXxX" :P
Sorta.

You could, for example, do

Since, for most Arrays (a power with Alternate Powers), all the effects are effectively "different settings" of the same effect (like a Star Trek phaser), in a way they're all alternate powers of each other.

Now, if you wanted something more like this

Then we'd need to talk. There'd be lots of "No"'s.

This is much better than my explanation. Archeville! :P
  • 10 months later...