Incognito

Kai Wren

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

I’m someone who can’t be summed up in one sentence.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?
Yes.

What is your full birth name?

Victoria Gold.

Where do you live?

Freedom City.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

I’m 25.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

I’m a woman.

How would you describe your heritage?

A millstone around my neck.

How tall are you?

5’9.

What is your body type?

Muscular, I guess?

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

I have weaknesses. They aren’t physical.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

I carry myself as the situation demands. Sometimes that means standing out from the crowd. Sometimes that means being invisible.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

Dark, on all counts.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

Short. I don’t like it getting in the way.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

I’m comfortable with myself. I’ve had lovers, I hope they found me attractive, otherwise they were much better liars than I thought.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

I’ve pierced my ears.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

No.

Do you have a dominant hand?

Right.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Practical.

Do you wear makeup?

Sometimes.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

I am not a singer.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

I’m told that I can come across as standoffish, and I tend to stare. Eye contact is a good way of getting a solid read on someone, but you shouldn’t neglect other aspects of body language.

When I get angry, my voice gets quieter. Dad used to shout a lot when he got angry. I always saw it as a weakness. I suppose I overcompensate.

History

Where do you come from?

Freedom City. Go Heroes.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

I’ve been all over the world, but Freedom City is home.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

That’s a complicated set of questions. Sure, I’m American, and I’m proud of our country in a lot of ways. I also feel like we could do more to help ourselves and others, and I feel loyalty towards all the world, not just where I happen to have been born.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

Proud? I don’t know. I love this city, but there’s a lot of pain here, too.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

Freedom City. Where the best and worst live side by side.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

I’m African American, so I suppose in that sense, yes, I was a minority. We were also highly privileged, and there’s not many black faces in the super elite.

I had a fairly solitary childhood, though. I hated the facades people in my peer group tended to put on. I was closest to my siblings. Not so much any more.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

Martial arts is my passion. When I was a kid, I dreamed of competing at the Olympics. I would probably take gold. I could definitely do it now, but that’d be… counterproductive to my long-term goals.

If I hadn’t found martial arts I’d probably be like my brother and sister. It wasn’t the physical aspect that saved me from that; it was the discipline. Learning to see the truly important things in life and not allow yourself to be ruled by your emotions, your wants and desires, those things were important. They’ve made me who I am. It isn’t just ‘what I do’.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

No. I had a very pampered childhood. I was indulged in everything I wanted. I was, upset, when my Dad forbade me from going to the Olympics, but to describe that as trauma? No. I’ve seen trauma.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

Jacob, my older brother, picked a fight with me. I broke his arm in three places. That taught me that I had to be careful, lest I go further than I should.

It also taught me that there are bullies in the world, and I had the strength to stand up to them.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Did you read the answer to the last question? Three places. He’s never forgiven me. I could have just restrained him, but I was young and wanted to prove a point.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

I was homeschooled. It was miserable.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

No. After my father’s true business was exposed, I burned them. There’s nothing from that time which isn’t tainted.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

I was attacked by the Katanarchists whilst climbing the Lhotse mountain in Tibet. I think that I had been searching for the confidence to make the decision to do my part before then, but finding that I was able to handle myself against those ninja helped to solidify in my mind that I could do it.

Master Wen was instrumental in helping me decide that it was the right thing to do. Fate brings us together for a reason; it gives us the tools we need, but it is up to us to choose to use them.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

I don’t tell people why I became a hero. It isn’t any of their business.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Hah. My secrets are public domain. Google ‘Victoria Gold’, you’ll see.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

Hnn.

Fine. Yes. I make it clear in public that I don’t condone my family’s actions and I am disgusted by them, but I don’t own up to the fact that I am trying to make the world a better place.

If people knew that Victoria Gold was a good person, that would help to rehabilitate the Gold ‘brand’. That is not deserved. I do the right thing because it is the right thing to do. I don’t want praise or fame, and I really don’t want my family to benefit from my good works in any way.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

I suppose the real ‘secret’ that I have left to protect is the fact that I don’t make my heroic life public.

How far would I go to protect it? I suppose that depends on the circumstances. I would never hurt someone, but I would explain my reasons. Hopefully they would understand.

If villains think they can get at me by targeting my family they are sorely mistaken.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

No. No charges were proved against me. I am a ‘person of interest’, however.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Tyrone and Juliet.

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

There were a lot of helpers, but yes, they were involved in the parts which weren’t unsanitary.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

They were seen as true pillars of the community; philanthropists and successful businesspeople who gave back. The Gold name is still worth a sizeable fortune, thanks to the Gold Corporation.

They were actually both corrupt and working with organised crime of all stripes. It makes me sick.

Where are your parents now?

Prison. Hopefully for a long time.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We were based in Freedom City, but we travelled the world.

How did you get along with your parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

Growing up? I was in awe. They were everything I wanted to be and more. Now? If I saw them outside of prison it would take a lot of self-restraint not to hurt them.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

I don’t care. Why don’t you ask them?

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

Jacob and Valerie.

Jacob has never forgiven me for ‘humiliating’ him in front of his friends when we were kids and he tried to hit me. He’s a worm. He would do anything to make our father proud of him, and wants nothing more than to take his place, even if that means working with the scum of the Earth.

Valerie is as cold and calculating as a snake. She’s smart, too. A lot smarter than me. Maybe even smarter than my parents. She, scares me. I know what Jacob is doing. I worry about Valerie.

What was your birth order in the family?

I’m the middle child.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

Jacob has a son, a young boy, and I believe a second child is on the way. He is busily trying to hold the Corporation together rather than let it crash and burn. He’s working with some of the same people my father used to, but I haven’t found any conclusive evidence, yet. I just know it.

Valerie? I think she’s probably eaten the heads of every lover she’s had before they could finish the act.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

What do you think?

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

My Dad.

I loved him. I respected him. I thought we were making the world a better place. I thought I knew him.

It, hurts, that he betrayed me. Us. The community he was supposed to serve.

I don’t want to talk about this.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

No.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

I am the black sheep. I’m the only member who isn’t a total scumbag.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

We’re all fairly notorious at this point, I guess. None of us escaped the scandal unscathed. Tyrone Gold is probably one of the most hated businessmen in America right now.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

No, I don’t.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

I don’t want children right now, and I’m not in the right headspace for romance. Check in again in a few years.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

‘Mate’? way to make it sound romantic.

Someone I don’t have to worry about 24/7 would be a good start. Someone I could trust enough to confide in about all the parts of my life. Someone with an interest in martial arts, almost certainly. Someone who doesn’t care about my money at all. Someone who can make me believe in families again.

So, basically, an impossible person who doesn’t exist and never could.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

I have few friends. I’m very judgemental, and I know people too well.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

Master Wen isn’t exactly a friend, so he’s out. I suppose that leaves David. He’s my personal assistant, and has been for the past eight years. He’s a good man. I, hope, that it isn’t weird that my best friend is someone I pay a good wage.

Ugh. Now I’m sounding pathetic.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

There’s a lot of people whose paychecks come out of my bank account.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

I’ve had a lot of relationships. In the past, my focus on my training tended to push them away; people are very superficial, and when I was young I was selfishly absorbed in my own betterment. I didn’t make enough room for people.

I did what any teenager or 20-something who lives with their parents does when they lose a love. I ate hagen-daags, cried, and watched stupid movies with my Mom.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

Please see the ‘Family’ section.

I’m also engaged in a shadow-war against the Katanarchists. As a Guardian of the Wheel it is vital that we take away their ability to continue to wield the mystical forces of the earth for their own ends.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

I hope and pray that the Katanarchists consider the Golds to be beneath them.

My family might well come after me with the usual mob tactics; intimidation, blackmail, carbombs, assassins. I don’t think our shared blood will stop it being shed if they think I’m going to put them behind bars, or keep them there.

The Katanarchists? As the name suggests, they are unpredictable. I check to make sure that my toothbrush hasn’t turned into a viper every morning.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

My father’s systematic deception and betrayal of everything we were supposed to stand for, perpetrated over my entire lifetime.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

The Guardians of the Wheel first, I would die for them if needed, the Wheel must continue to turn.

Then the people. Ideals are all very well and good, but my first concern, now, is to protect civilians. If we fail in that, nothing else matters.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

I trust my body. I know precisely what I am capable of.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

I have a lot of anger. As you may have noticed, my father probably takes that position, for the reasons outlined above.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Intelligence. There are people in the world who see so much more than I do. I often feel like I am barely capable of scratching the surface. My brain is my weakest muscle.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

I mentioned earlier that I am judgemental. There are a lot of qualities I hate. The main one, though, would be sadism. There are people in the world who enjoy hurting others just for the sake of the pain it causes. If there is anything more disgusting, I have yet to find it.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

Yes, I have a secret identity. Master Wen knows it. Nobody else. I don’t want my family name being rehabilitated through my actions.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

I am best at one-on-one combat. When I have the opportunity to fight one other person, hand to hand, I have yet to be beaten by anyone other than Master Wen.

That said, teamwork is important and I do not allow my pride to cloud my judgement. I don’t have a huge amount of experience yet, but I am certain I will run into many people whom also work to protect the City and its people.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

I am not.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

I am a member of the Guardians of the Wheel. We are pretty underground. You probably haven’t heard of us.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

When I was a little girl, I loved The Freedom League. Who doesn’t?

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

Other than my father? No. Not specifically. I fell out of love with the idea of heroes as I grew up. My father used to say that the best way to help people was through our programs, not being vigilantes. Just one more lie.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

Another difficult question.

Yes, I like the satisfaction which comes with directly helping people. Every thug I put behind bars is one that isn’t on the streets preying on people. That’s great.

I hate the fact that some people feel like they have a right to know everything about the people who work to protect them. I’m not doing this for fun. I’m not doing it because someone asked me to. I don’t want thanks or fame. I want to make the world a better place.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

I’ll give up hero work when the world is safe. Switch sides? I’d rather die.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Expose Jacob’s activities, drive a stake through the heart of the Gold Corporation, and figure out what the Katanarchists are up to.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

Put the rest of my family behind bars, keep them there, and destroy the Katanarchists.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

The idea of a crippling injury is horrifying. The idea of not being able to fight, still being alive but being helpless, that sends shivers down my spine.

You can’t let that fear stop you. You have to carry on regardless. You have to trust that you’ll be strong enough.

Is there anything you would give you life for?

The Wheel.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

I’ve always had money, and I am painfully aware of the position of privilege that puts me in. Even with the damage that my family’s holdings have taken recently, I still have millions of dollars at my disposal to do with as I wish.

I hate what money does to some people, but I use it as best I can. It is a tool, like any other.

How do you generally treat others?

I like to think I treat them with respect. I sometimes fear that I am too hard on people.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

No. No I am not. Please see the prior discussion about my family.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

I speak when I have something to say. I am completely confident in myself.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

Like they are fellow human beings.

What are your most annoying habits?

I’m stubborn as an ox when I feel like I’m in the right.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Rich criminals. There is no justification for preying on the weak when you never have to work another day in your life. Poor criminals don’t get any more mercy, but at least their motivation is understandable.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

Stir fry. I’m vegetarian, and yes, I enjoy my food. The preparation and eating of it is a ritual, and it is important that we don’t lose sight of the things that ground us to the world.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

I don’t drink alcohol. I don’t understand the desire to poison oneself. It sounds boring, but there’s something truly enjoyable about fresh water.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Chocolate cake.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Meat.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

Blue. I find it calming. I don’t tend to like ‘loud’, flashy colours.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

The lyrics of rap songs are often unpleasant, but there’s a beauty to the cadence of it, the skill involved, that I enjoy.

Most metal leaves me cold.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

I like the smell of cooking, even if it is something I won’t eat.

Do you have a favorite animal?

I identify strongly with tigers.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

I have a rock I brought back from Lhotse. That is a reminder of how far I have come.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I live comfortably. It is what I am used to, and I do not see the point in denying myself necessities. I do not tend to go to excess.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Driving. I am bad at it.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life? How important is it to you?

Yes. The Guardians of the Wheel are a spiritual order. We stand between the Wheel of Fate and those who would abuse it. We believe that the cosmos turns towards a better tomorrow when it is allowed to spin freely. I will be honest, I don’t fully understand all aspects of the doctrine, yet, but it has become central to my life.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Master Wen.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

It is in every movement I make.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

Could I kill? Absolutely. I have the skills required to kill most people if I chose to.

Have I killed? No.

Would I kill? I don’t know. It is expected, eventually, that I will – the Katanarchists are dangerous monsters who will not stop – but, will I?

I don’t know if I have it in me.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

I’m a martial artist. I learned these skills to protect and master myself, not to kill. That they can also be put to that purpose is an undeniable fact, but could I use them for that? It is hard.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

When there is no alternative to save innocent life.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

These questions are getting quite troubling.

There are too many unknowns here to give a definitive answer. I would probably knock them unconscious and turn them in to the police along with whatever evidence I could find.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

I would be angry.

How would you react to public humiliation?

Apparently, I’d become a costumed vigilante.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

I would seek justice against the perpetrator.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Murder. Many crimes leave a mark, but death cannot be healed.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

1)  Visit my parents.

2)  Visit my siblings.

3)  Visit Master Wen.

4)  Write a will.

5)  Meditate.

This is assuming that all those people are within 24 hours travel. Otherwise, I would write letters.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

I have been inducted into the inner mysteries of the Guardians of the Wheel. I have also spent my entire life training in various martial arts.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

Master Wen. He is a man I respect very deeply, even if he is also … abrasive.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

I can wrestle the Wheel of Fate to turn back a mortal blow. See above.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I am a philanthropist. I set up my first charitable institution at the age of 16.

What is your preferred combat style?

The one which wins.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

No.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

I wish I was smarter. I often feel like I do not know as much as I should.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

I watch, listen, and learn. Jealousy is pointless.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

I wake up at 5am, and complete a two-hour workout. I then shower and get dressed before eating breakfast and meditating. This usually takes me through to 9am.

At 9 I expect David to arrive. He talks me through the various meetings and news I need to be kept appraised of. There is usually some paperwork which needs to be completed or calls to make on behalf of the charitable foundations I work with. This has dropped off a little in recent days.

We break for lunch at 1pm, and I spend lunch watching the local news. Afternoon meetings continue until 5pm when I let David go.

After David leaves, I prepare something whilst checking for more information on my enemies and any possible movements they or their agents have made. By 6pm I am on the streets where I will continue to patrol and hunt out more information. Often, I focus on Downtown where I can interrupt criminals.

I try to get back in bed between midnight and 2am.

I am used to my routine being disrupted because, frankly, the work I do does not tend to go to an exact schedule. Sometimes it is necessary to travel, sometimes I have to go to fundraisers in the evening or morning. Sometimes David won’t leave because there’s a lot of work to do. Sometimes I have to leave because there’s something going on which cannot wait.

I always make sure I get at least an hour of meditation a day, it is vital.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

Does martial arts count? No? … Okay then.

What do you do for fun?

I liked to travel. I suspect I won't be doing so for a while.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

Yes. It is grey, with a billowing cape, and a question mark on the mask. It covers me head to toe. It is very hot. As in, the temperature can be uncomfortable. I don’t believe many people would find it alluring.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

Practically.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

Why do you want to know?

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

I have the aforementioned amulet. It is a small golden wheel inset with symbols that I do not yet fully understand.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

Close to my heart.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

I have a chauffeur. And I like flying.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

I don’t have a will yet. I have been putting it off. I should probably get on that.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

DNA? Fingerprints? Dental records?

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

I would like to be forgotten.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

No. I know myself. The public has nothing to fear.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My martial skill.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

My inexperience.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

I know you’re going to ignore me anyway, but please, lighten up. You don’t have to take everything so seriously all the time.