A systematic problem

Toptomcat

if someone wanted to do a villain like that and created a mega-npc and deathray and all that, could they temporarily become a GM/Ref and run that story?

I think that's a great idea. We probably wouldn't do that for just anyone, but a player who has demonstrated a knowledge of the rules, staying power, and a strong posting frequency (like everyone currently participating in this discussion) would make a great GM.

Some might ask (and already have), "What's the difference?" Why powerful NPCs run by GMs and not powerful PCs run by players? They answer raises a subtle but important distinction. Many players see their job (in addition to having fun) to be "to win," "to advance," or "to get what they want." The job of the GM/NPC is to provide play opportunities for others, to challenge the players, and to let the heroes win (most of the time ;) ). I say all that to say, this game has loads of room for powerful NPCs (run by GMs), but given its player-driven, PvP nature not much room for really powerful mega-villains.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if someone wanted to do a villain like that and created a mega-npc and deathray and all that, could they temporarily become a GM/Ref and run that story?

I think that's a great idea. We probably wouldn't do that for just anyone, but a player who has demonstrated a knowledge of the rules, staying power, and a strong posting frequency (like everyone currently participating in this discussion) would make a great GM.

Some might ask (and already have), "What's the difference?" Why powerful NPCs run by GMs and not powerful PCs run by players? They answer raises a subtle but important distinction. Many players see their job (in addition to having fun) to be "to win," "to advance," or "to get what they want." The job of the GM/NPC is to provide play opportunities for others, to challenge the players, and to let the heroes win (most of the time ;) ). I say all that to say, this game has loads of room for powerful NPCs (run by GMs), but given its player-driven, PvP nature not much room for really powerful mega-villains.

Many players see their job (in addition to having fun) to be "to win," "to advance," or "to get what they want." The job of the GM/NPC is to provide play opportunities for others, to challenge the players, and to let the heroes win (most of the time ;) ).

I second that idea. Players would have to completely downplay their ambitions so they can facilitate the other PCs.

If there is a possibility to run an epic level game, I would consider becoming a temporary Referee. I'm very fond of fooling around with the super-villain motif and I have a couple of ideas floating in my head. Only time will tell. :)

Many players see their job (in addition to having fun) to be "to win," "to advance," or "to get what they want." The job of the GM/NPC is to provide play opportunities for others, to challenge the players, and to let the heroes win (most of the time ;) ).

I second that idea. Players would have to completely downplay their ambitions so they can facilitate the other PCs.

If there is a possibility to run an epic level game, I would consider becoming a temporary Referee. I'm very fond of fooling around with the super-villain motif and I have a couple of ideas floating in my head. Only time will tell. :)

Whenever you're ready, PM me with your plans. I'm sure we can work out just about whatever you had in mind. :)

Whenever you're ready, PM me with your plans. I'm sure we can work out just about whatever you had in mind. :)

You got a deal. :) I think I should wait a bit for other players to finish their current campaigns. It would be great to see this world have some "history" to fall back on before characters take on the Big Bad. That would make the crisis a genuine threat. Nonetheless, I'll be brainstorming some ideas over the holidays

You got a deal. :) I think I should wait a bit for other players to finish their current campaigns. It would be great to see this world have some "history" to fall back on before characters take on the Big Bad. That would make the crisis a genuine threat. Nonetheless, I'll be brainstorming some ideas over the holidays

About the Clown Exterminator... sorry, Top Cat, but after talking with the folks at Atomic Think Tank it looked like the contagious disease element had to go. Still working on the same thematic concept, but having to approach it from a different direction. Right now I'm waiting to see if another background idea will fly (I PM'd a bit of it to Barnum) for the undercover good guy making balloons out of clowns.

About the Clown Exterminator... sorry, Top Cat, but after talking with the folks at Atomic Think Tank it looked like the contagious disease element had to go. Still working on the same thematic concept, but having to approach it from a different direction. Right now I'm waiting to see if another background idea will fly (I PM'd a bit of it to Barnum) for the undercover good guy making balloons out of clowns.