(IC) Do You Have To Be An Ocean Away?

Tsunami

After stopping to change trams in the capital, Giang had had an opportunity to change into a white dress with light and dark green flora patterns.  For the remainder of the trip with Monsoon, the Asian young woman had done her best to remain sitting calm and collected.

When they arrived at the estate of Murjana and her current husband, the Asian young woman had been a bit surprised to find that two of the members of the royal family were already present, in particular the two that were the entire reason for her presence. 

As she and Monsoon were shown into the hall where the reception for the two young royals was taking place, Giang allowed herself to slip back into some of the formal etiquette with which she had been raised in Vietnam.  When they came up to the royal twins, both wearing the costumes of their station and the Emir, Giang gave a deep bow.  "Your highness, please forgive the intrusion, Monsoon and I had come here on a personal mater and had meant to interrupt this ceremony."

As Prince Kamau offered to provide her a ride back to the capital and the palace once she was done Giang gave another small bow.  "I would be greatly honored, so long as to do so does not keep either of you from anything more pressing before our schedule meeting time."

"It is no interruption!" suddenly boomed Mamba from his throne, all smiles as he waved to the new arrivals with a jovial lord's disposition. "Sister of my lady wife and queen of Socotra hereafter, and honored guest. You are welcome here in the Crocodile Kingdom as long as you wish. Have you had the pleasure of meeting the heirs to my elder brother's throne-" (not true biologically, but true by kin by what they had just sworn) "What brings you to our lands?" 

"I greet the Red Lynx and the White Lioness, prince and queen hereafter. I come on family business, Crocodile Emir - the family of mine and your lady wife's." said Monsoon. From beside the emir, said lady wife was staring at Tsunami. Murjana was considerably paler than most Dakanans, her head wrapped in a ribbon of white fabric as she folded her hands demurely before her. When she spoke, it was in the Arabic she'd learned from her mother. The sisters exchanged words, one's face implacable, the other hidden behind a mask - before the latter gestured towards Tsunami. 

Murjana stared at her daughter and made a gesture towards the doors behind her, speaking now in heavily-accented Mandarin, heedless of the crocodile-skinned guards on either side. "Come. Away from these others." As they spoke, the smiling Emir watched them before turning to his royal guests. 

"Come, son and daughter of a king! Let us commemorate the greatness of this day." 

Tsunami

Giang had not met her mother's gaze until after Monsoon and Murjana had spoken to each other in Arabic, at which point she had looked toward the older woman, meeting her gaze calmly.  When Murjana spoke in Mandarin, Giang gave a slight bow in response.  <"Of course.">  She replied in flawless Mandarin, looking back at the Crocodile Emir and the royal twins. 

"I am honored by your generous hospitality Crocodile Emir."  She replied with a bow before focusing back on the twins.  "Please excuse me your highnesses.  If other matters require your more immediate attention, I will see you at the appointed time."  Bowing once more she then followed after Murjana and Monsson into one of the side chambers.

Murjana led her daughter and sister through the corridors of the Emir's palace - and then down steep stone steps to an underground river; an artificial channel that carried the sheer power of the river outside through a passageway so narrow that it roared like a waterfall. With the channel behind her, Murjana turned to face Tsunami. Over the sound of the water, all three women had to raise their voices just a little. Her voice was slow, halting, and deliberate, the accent in her Mandarin strong. "My sister tells me you have not come to spill my blood, child," she said, her face impassive as she looked Giang in the eye. "I am pleased. Your break with your father is complete?" 

Tsunami

Giang had sensed the water of the underground river as they had moved down to the chamber near the powerful artificial chamber.  She met her mother's gaze with calm.  "I am no killer."  She replied when Murjana mentioned her not being present to cause her harm.  "Despite what my father may have sought to have me trained to be.  Nor do I have any reason to bear you ill will."

As to the question about her break with her father, Giang gave a small nod.  "For my part the break is complete.  I have not seen my father in over five years, having chosen to run away from him shortly after being taken to Hong Kong to join him and my older half-siblings.  While his agents, and those of other parts of Dr. Sin's criminal empire, are still generally looking for me, I do not make a habit of seeking out those agents.  Soon I might wish to take a more active role in opposing their criminal enterprises, but for the last few years I have led something of a normal life, when I have not found it necessary to use my powers to protect those in need."

White Lioness

<"It seems that even after all that ceremony were aren't as interesting as other people."> Àjàṣorò commented with a sly grin, being very much aware that she was just as interested in the Tsunami

She pulled on a little jacket, a knock-off of a an American brand that she'd picked up in a market in Nairobi, much to her father consternation. The jacket made her look more teenager and less defender of the nation, just as she planned.

<"I think I'm going to wait and travel back with them, do not feel that you have to wait for me younger brother!">

<"Family always comes first of course.">  Kamau replied to his sister under his breath as he stepped forward to formally thank the Emir for hte ceremony.  He wasn't sure what business of the House of Typhoon involved their guest, though he'd be sure to try and find out more.

The formalities concluded Kamau moved among the Emirs court with practiced ease affirming the ties tenuous as they may be betwixt their peoples as was the purpose of the ceremony.  <"We may as well await her business concluding.">  he answered with a small shrug, <"There is good will yet to be fostered here enough to explain our long absence from the capitol.">  he assured her and only looked brief askance at the highly non-traditional jacket though in truth the people of the Crocodile may as well see what the new White Lion brought with her to the position sooner rather than later.

"Hm. I had heard of your efforts." It was hard to tell her thoughts on her daughter acting as a superhero. "I am pleased to know you are free of Sin, child." She called it Zui, the original translation of the Sin patriarch's most common name. "I approve of what you have done." She folded her hands before her and studied Tsunami with a look that wasn't unfriendly but was certainly distant - this was perhaps the look Murjana would give the deserving winner of a local talent competition. 

Behind her armor, Monsoon hesitated before saying, "...perhaps we should continue this conversation later. I'm sure my sister had an early morning, and Giang has been teleported across the Earth this morning."

In the receiving room, the Emir was full of questions for the two siblings, all boisterous cheer and smiles as he moved from one to the other with the energy of a predator making a leap. "Ah! I love your garb, my lady!" he said with a smile as he studied the White Lioness. "I have been cloistered in my lands too long - I had no idea this was the latest fashion in my elder brother's court!" 

Tsunami

"I am glad."  Giang replied with a small bow as her mother spoke approvingly of her freeing herself from her father and opposing him and Dr. Sin's operations.  While it was not a particularly warm interaction, it was far better than it could otherwise have gone.  The Asian young woman also felt it could partially be a result of her mother having spent years wondering whether Giang would come looking to kill her, not exactly an unwarranted concern given Giang's father and his means of operating.

When Monsoon spoke up about speaking more later, Giang gave a small nod.  "I will be in the country a few days, there is likely to be some free time in my schedule."

White Lioness

Before she became White Lioness Àjàṣorò would have just made some glib comment about fashion, some joke that maybe no one but herself would understand. And right now her instincts were to do just that, but she very aware that she now had some responsibility as the symbol of Dakana.

<"The King and Queen look as stylish as ever in our traditional dress Emir. I thought our visitor would like to see something more familiar from American fashion.">

This was more or less the truth, though partly she wanted to show off her more western fashion.

It was hard to judge Monsoon's reaction on the way back to the party - but as they left Murjana by the underground river, the armored princess did comment, "You seem pleased with what you heard. Good." It had truthfully gone about as well as she could have hoped - Tsunami seemed to lack the sentimental streak so common among American superheroes. "I am sure she will give your students no trouble." Which was true, in a sense, from what she'd heard of her sister's plans for the future. Outside and back at the party, she kept her distance at first as she mingled with the guests of the Emirate, reluctantly admitting to herself that the Dakanan siblings had come to see someone other than her. There was no point in getting to know them well until it was sure their lineage would be the one that ruled Dakana. 

"How delightfully welcoming!" boomed the Emir cheerfully. "And you, young prince, what do you think of your sister's hospitality?" 

• 2 weeks later...

"The White Lion is ever forward thinking and prepared to make at ease our visitors I am certain."  Kamau replied with a polite nod to the Emirs query.  "If Dakana is to take it's place on the stage of nations should it not be with a hand outstretched in friendship?"  he inquired perhaps a subtle weighing of the factional unrest roiling beneath the surface of Dakanan politics. 

He watched hte Emir with care fully aware the man held more interest in his clans power and prestige than the broader politics but with his alliance and contacts outside the borders of Dakana he was well positioned to take advantage of whatever steps the nation took into the wider world.  "There are dangers in a small nation no matter the strength of its ruler and technology stepping out in aggression would you not agree Mrs. al-Darsah?"  he asked looking to where the not so subtle Monsoon stood apart.

"In English, in the mode you're using, I would be addressed as Mrs. Lucas," said Monsoon with cool politeness, tilting her masked face as she studied the Red Lynx. "I am more properly Lady Monsoon, or just Monsoon among fellows of royal blood. Don't worry," she added reassuringly, "I had trouble with proper address when I left home for the first time too." She remembered being young, and had no particular desire to make an enemy of someone who might be a peer for a long time to come. "As for small nations, the danger depends on the ruler - and their reasons.

Tsunami

As Tsunami walked back toward the party with her aunt, she gave a small nod as Monsoon asked if she seemed pleased with what her mother had said.  "It is as favorable a meeting as I might expect after so many years."  She replied with a small nod.  She then remained quiet, her face impassive as she considered Monsoon’s other comment, wondering why Murjana would have reason to bother "her" students.

When the pair returned to the party, Tsunami remained beside her aunt, bowing in greeting to the various gusts the mingled with.

When Prince Kamau addressed Monsoon, Tusnami remained off to one side, not interjecting herself into the conversation given the question was made to Monsoon.

White Lioness

"It is I find always difficult when communicating in a language that is not your own. But we endeavour to try our best." her English was flawless and even sounded like she came from somewhere on the East Coast of America

" I myself have never been one for titles please call me Àjàṣorò or Soro is also fine." on this she sounded completely sincere and friendly

"I'm sure my younger brother will happily discuss politics with you all day. But could we do so with some refreshments at least? Either at Emir's beautiful palace or back at our own place."