Innuendo variants

The Book of Magic had an option for "Arcane Innuendo":

At the GM’s option, mystics can substitute their Knowledge (arcane lore) skill for Bluff when attempting to covertly communicate with anyone else who is trained in arcane lore (see Notice Innuendo under Sense Motive, M&M, page 54). Sense Motive is used to pick up on the hidden message, as usual, but it is “transmitted” by the kind of cryptic arcane references mystics so often use.

Firstly, would this be allowed here at FC PbP? If not allowed as a straight-out switch, could it be done with the Benefit feat (like was ruled for the various uses of Knowledge [Tactics] with Master Plan as suggested in Mastermind's Manual)?

Secondly, could something similar be done with other Knowledges? Say, tech-heads using Knowledge (technology) to pass secret messages to one another using technobabble, or someone using Knowledge (art) or (history) by making references to assorted works of art/historical events, or Know (pop culture) by spouting off movie & tv quotes? ("Uzani, his army at Lashmir. Uzani, his army with fist open. His army with fist closed.")

And, again, if a simple skill switch can't be done, could it be done with the Benefit feat (like was ruled for the various uses of Knowledge [Tactics] with Master Plan as suggested in Mastermind's Manual)?

The Book of Magic had an option for "Arcane Innuendo":

Firstly, would this be allowed here at FC PbP? If not allowed as a straight-out switch, could it be done with the Benefit feat (like was ruled for the various uses of Knowledge [Tactics] with Master Plan as suggested in Mastermind's Manual)?

Secondly, could something similar be done with other Knowledges? Say, tech-heads using Knowledge (technology) to pass secret messages to one another using technobabble, or someone using Knowledge (art) or (history) by making references to assorted works of art/historical events, or Know (pop culture) by spouting off movie & tv quotes? ("Uzani, his army at Lashmir. Uzani, his army with fist open. His army with fist closed.")

And, again, if a simple skill switch can't be done, could it be done with the Benefit feat (like was ruled for the various uses of Knowledge [Tactics] with Master Plan as suggested in Mastermind's Manual)?

I saw we keep things all the same. If the benefit feat is needed to use Knowledge [Tactics] with Master Plan, then we should use it for other skills and communication. If people want to be able toc ommunicate messages through jaron, then it needs to be a language or a Benefit. Using it as a benefit works better than a straight out language though. Of course, understanding the message is going to set fairly high DCs on the related knowledge checks.

I think that I'd allow Knowledge (arcane lore) to act as a synergy skill on a Bluff check, giving you a +2 bonus if you can use whatever jargon that the skill gives you while trying to pass on a hidden message. This wouldn't require a feat, and would be available to everyone. You could conceivably do this with other skills as well, including Knowledge (history) (allusions to past situations) and Knowledge (technology) ("technobabble").

The idea behind using Knowledge (arcane lore) or any other skills' jargon is to send a hidden message while seemingly saying something innocuous. If you're using too much of it, though, it might as well be a foreign language, and the jig is up. I don't know if I agree with people who are better magicians also being better at making innuendo toward other magicians, and that's the effect that the substitution has. Bluff should still come into it somehow, in my opinion.

So, having Know (whatever) could give a +2 synergy bonus on bluff checks to send a message to someone, if they have ranks in the same Know skills?

Would someone listening in need to have ranks in the Know skill to use Sense Motive to intercept/decode the message? Would not having any ranks impose a -2 synergy penalty (for not knowing the lingo, though someone skilled enough can still pick up the gist from body posture and tone of voice and etc.)?

I'm chary of imposing a penalty to Sense Motive for lacking the Knowledge skill, since the innuedoing (yeah, I know it's not a word) character is already getting a bonus to his or her Bluff check. Instead, I'd give onlookers who have at least 5 ranks of the skill a +2 synergy bonus to their Sense Motive check. It means that the people you're trying to bluff around still have a normal chance of catching you (subject to your improved ability to Bluff), but your target has a slightly better than normal chance of catching what you are implying.

How's this for an official write-up?

Characters using the Bluff skill for covertly passing along messages (see Innuendo under Bluff, M&M, pg. 42) who have at least 5 ranks in a Knowledge skill can gain a +2 synergy bonus on the Bluff check by using jargon and terms specific to that Knowledge. Characters with at least 5 ranks in the same Knowledge skill get a +2 synergy bonus on the Sense Motive check to notice the message.
  • 2 weeks later...