Characters Name: Subject 4X7A9L4E0C8I6

Alternate Identity: Adam Alpha

Height: 8'0"

Weight: 600lbs

Hair: silver

Eyes: black

Description:

591px-Male_silverback_Gorilla.JPG

History: Subject 4X7A9L4E0C8I6 was the first test subject for a top secret soldier serum. Upon being injected Subject 4X7A9L4E0C8I6 noted his pain, verbally! The scientist poking him could not believe her ears. So she called in her collegues to examine the specimen. They poked and prodded, and as they did Subject 4X7A9L4E0C8I6 told them that he wished to be set free, if only to test this miracle serum. It took a few days but the scientist who originally poked Subject 4X7A9L4E0C8I6 with the serum told him he was free to go, but had to be debriefed. In the debriefing he learned that he was property of ASTRO Labs. They would be watching him personally. He would have to have a field agent with him at all times. Anything goes wrong with the serum or him, he gets locked back up and prodded on. He would have residence in Freedom City. His would be an apartment in the downtown area so he could get out and do what he needed and wanted to do. To test the serum he would have to get out there and fight crime. His code name would be Adam Alpha. Lastly, he had to test the limits of his new sapience. He'd have to test himself physically and mentally. That said, they wished him good luck and took him to his new home.

Stats:

Str: 20 (+5)

Dex: 14 (+2)

Con: 14 (+2)

Int: 6 (-2)

Wis: 12 (+1)

Cha: 6 (-2)

Combat:

Attack: +2 (includes -1 for size)

Defense: +4 (includes -1 for size)

Initiative: +2

Grapple: +12 (includes +4 for size)

Saves:

Toughness: +2 (+2 Con)

Fortitude: +6 (+2 Con, +4 Save)

Reflex: +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Save)

Will: +2 (+1 Wis, +1 Save)

Skills: Climb 10 (+15), Notice 6 (+7)

Feats: Minion 3

Powers: Comprehend 2 (animals, Flaw: simians only), Growth 4 (Extra: Duration (Continuous), Flaw: Permenant, Power Feat: Innate), Regeneration 41 (Ability Damage 8, Recovery Bonus 7, Bruised 3, Disabled 8, Injured 6, Staggered 6, Unconcious 3), Super-Senses 2 (low-light vision, scent)

DC Block:

Punch, +2 melee, Toughness DC 20 [damage]

Costs: Abilities (0) + Combat (16) + Saves (9) + Skills (4) + Feats (3) + Powers (61) = Total Cost 90

ASTRO Labs Scentist

Stats:

Str: 10 (+0)

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 10 (+0)

Int: 14 (+2)

Wis: 12 (+1)

Cha: 10 (+0)

Combat:

Attack: 0 (+3 with MWV)

Defense: 0 (+3 with MWV)

Initiative: 0 (+8 with MWV)

Grapple: 0 (+3 with MWV)

Saves:

Toughness: 0 (+3 with MWV)

Fortitude: 0

Reflex: 0

Will: 1

Skills: Computers 8 (+10), Knowledge (life sciences) 8 (+10), Profession (scientist) 4 (+5)

Powers: Device 8 (hard to lose, Monkey Wrangler Vest, Power Feat: Restricted 1 (password protected), Subtle) Enhanced Attack 3, Enhanced Defense 3, Enhanced Feats 4 (Accurate Attack, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack), Flight 3, Force Field 3, Snare 3, Stun 3 (Extra: Ranged)

DC Block:

Snare, +3 Range, DC 13 Reflex

Stun, +3 Range, DC 13 Fortitude

Costs: Abilities (6) + Combat (0) + Saves (0) + Skills (5) + Feats (0) + Powers (34) = 45

A moderately intelligent ape with fantastic regeneration powers. That'd qualify as unique, I'd say!

Do be aware that, with an Int of 6, he's going to have an extremely limited vocabulary. Like Dustin Hoffman's character from Rain Man, only... less. Most of is vocab is going to be monosyllabic. And with an Int that low -- not to mention powers that fantastic -- no government organization would simply let him go (much like Dustin Hoffman's character, he cannot fit into normal society, though his slightly-above-average Wisdom would let get aorund a bit better than Hoffman's character).

Due to Dr. Simian's existence, he's going to be facing a fair deal of... well, prejudice. Once they learn he can talk, Average Joe is going to think he's one of Simian's minions (or is Dr. Simian himself, though very, very drunk). And Simian himself is going to want to 'recruit' you.

All this being said, I can think of at least one way for Alpha Ape to be 'released' into FC: he's remanded into the custody of ASTRO Labs. Knock off a rank or two of his Regeneration, use it to get a Scientist 'Minion' who acts as his keeper. (Do be aware that the stats for the Scientist in the first printing of the M&M 2E core rules are incorrect, but they were fixed in the errata.) Take off 6 ranks from his Regeneration (reducing everything from "no action" to "standard action"), and he can have a Fanatical PL 3/45pp Minion (good for a Scientist with 30pp worth of tricks up her sleeve), or a team of 25 PL 1/15pp plain Scientists.

I would prefer you to breakdown the saves. That is, write out the base modifier & the ability modifier. Something like "Fort +6 (+2 Con, +4)"

Similarly, I'd like to see the size mods listed out for his attack & defense. Something like "Attack +2 (includes -1 for size)"

Also, having the Regeneration times listed would be helpful, too.

I'm getting 59pp on powers, not 61.

Comprehend 2 (speak to & understand animals, Flaw: simians only) = 2pp

Growth 4 (Large; Extra: Duration (Continuous); Flaw: Permanent; Power Feat: Innate) = 13pp

Protection 2 = 2pp

Regeneration 42 (Recovery Bonus +8 [+10 total], Bruised 3/no action, Unconscious 3/no action, Injured 6/no action, Staggered 6/no action, Disabled 8/no action, Ability Damage 8/no action) = 42

2+13+2+42 = 59

Maybe you forgot the gorilla super-senses (low-light vision and scent)?

Two things about the Scientist raise warning flags in me brain.

Device 2 (easy to lose, Tranquilizer Gun): Stun 3 (Extra: Range (Ranged), Power Feat: Sedation)

With his +6 on Fort saves, Alpha Ape's going to be able to resist the DC 13 Stun effect with some regularity.

Device 8 (hard to lose, Monkey Wrangler Vest): Flight 3, Force Field 3, Enhanced Traits (Attack Bonus 3, Defense Bonus 3, Power Attack, Accurate Attack, Improved Initiative 2), Super Strength 7, Power Feat: Subtle

First, what's that Subtle on the end for? Is it for the Super-Strength, or for the whole Vest?

Secondly, how's the Scientist going to use this to help keep Alpha Ape in check? The "Wrangler" implies that the Scientist will be wrestling the Alpha Ape to a standstill... but Alpha Ape's grapple bonus is a bit higher, and he's a great deal stronger -- Toughness +3 won't help much against a DC 20 crushing attack if Alpha Ape squeezes, either in anger or, more likely, when giving his keeper a big loving Lennie-ish hug (see Of Mice and Men).

Alright, new fluff!

With his +6 on Fort saves, Alpha Ape's going to be able to resist the DC 13 Stun effect with some regularity.
Thing is with a PL3 minion, that's the best I could do.
First' date=' what's that Subtle on the end for? Is it for the Super-Strength, or for the whole Vest?[/quote']The whole vestAgain, this is the best I could do with a PL3 minion (for the toughness save). Also, for these things to be used against Adam Alpha, things would have to be seriously wrong. The scientist is there to be an observant eye on how he's doing and maybe even somewhat teacher if need be.

*points to sign saying "Do Not Poke Da Refs"*

;)

If you want the Vest itself to be Subtle, that needs to be on the Device power itself, not 'in' the powers the Device grants.

There are two fairly minor changes I'd like to see on the char sheet. First is to list the Save DCs for his attacks. Something like "Punch, +2 melee, Toughness DC 20 [damage]" and "Tranq Gun, +3 Range, Fort DC 13 [stun]". This helps the Refs out quite a bit when running combats.

Second (more a pet peeve of mine) is to alphabetize & use proper terminology for things, specifically the effects from the Monkey Wrangler Vest. I'd like to see it look a bit more like this:

Device 8 (hard to lose, Monkey Wrangler Vest): Enhanced Attack 3, Enhanced Defense 3, Enhanced Feats 4 (Accurate Attack, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack), Flight 3, Force Field 3, Super-Strength 7.

As I've said before, this is going to be a very tough character to play, but if you're up for it, I'll look forward to seeing him in action.

• 1 year later...