Hot Shot

Supercape

“Ah. Well, that’s marketable, I suppose. Still not a great concept though, this is gonna end up with people trying to get a hold of these drugs and getting poisoned, probably. But it’s something you can build off of. Don’t even call it drugs, it’s just transmetabolic … enhancers, I guess? Figure out if there’s some fancy name. “

Cass generally liked the idea of following through with this. It meant whatever that skull meant, if it did mean anything, would actually get investigated. Because he certainly didn’t have the time to do it on his own unless there was something good to be gained from it.

“If you can figure out his image and deal with making sure there’s actual production value, then feel free to tag along and record things. Just, like … don’t get shot while doing it. Speaking of which, I’m gonna need both of you to sign a hold harmless and a few other agreements. I’m not getting sued for this #### again. Plus, we should probably figure out cuts and the likes before we begin this stuff. “

He looked over to the skull pointing his way. Just what had he gotten himself into…

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

"Right! It's all about branding!" said Zyte snapping his fingers "See?" he admonished Chill "This guy gets it. A guy I can work with!"

"Yeah and don't worry about the law. Such a pain in the ass, the law" he said, whipping out a pen. "I mean, we have to work with, I guess. But my, how it stifles the artistic endeavour. Such a drag!" he complained. 

He opened up his laptop and pulled out some documents and printed them. For all his complaining about the law, he knew it pretty well. 

"Chill here has signed everything already. Own risk, risk is own, etcetera etcetera. Here's my life..." he winked at Bonfire, signing a document that looked very much like the article Bonfire had asked for. Plus a few additional clauses like all rights belonging to Zyte and Bonfire was free to use all media for his own purposes. He presented the document to Bonfire for him to sign...

“You’re prepared, I like that. “

Bonfire was a bit surprised by just how prepared this guy was. A laptop was one thing. One able to print important documents at a moment’s notice, while on the move, was another. It was, in all honesty, a bit unsettling. Useful, yes. Something that Cass wished he could actually afford, both monetarily and to carry around at all times. But also creepy. Who was this prepared to sign an important contract at a moment’s notice?

He took the documents and gave them a cursory read, checking for any obvious gotchas while spinning the pen he’d been handed. “Sure, sure. Just a few things…” He’d need to call his lawyer before actually signing something like this. And said lawyer didn’t exactly work at this time of the night. “…it’s pretty late, and I had one hell of a day already. Can we meet up some time tomorrow to do this entire thing? I doubt the Mystery of the Skull Mask is gonna run away, and I’m not functioning at reasonable strength.”

That’d give him some time, hopefully. And truth be told, it wasn’t exactly wrong. He could only sustain so many allnighters on quadruple espressos.

GM

And so...

...tomorrow...early!

Zyte was early. Full of energy. Full of caffeine. Typing on his computer, surfing the intermaweb, redesigning several websites, and filming the streets all at the same time. Right where Bonfire had found him, waiting for the fiery superhero to show. 

Chill Pill, looking pale and cold, looked half asleep, waiting for the show. 

Another man, Zyte's bodyguard and driver, dressed like a surfer dude, stood by the car, flipping a coin to keep himself occupied. He looked pretty relaxed and calm. He was called Zane!, and ex-stunt man and all round aide to Zyte. He had one of the most important qualities for an employee of Zyte. He could stand Zyte. 

Cass sent over an Urgent-level E-Mail to his lawyer as soon as he’d returned home, with a full copy of the documents attached. It’d probably cost him a fair bit in the end, but it was worth it. Contracts were scary, and these were long enough that hiding something nasty somewhere was totally doable. And then, he went to get at least a few hours of sleep.

He had to get up early the next day. Not for Zyte, but for the job. The situation had, as expected, not just resolved itself overnight. Bonfire had to make quite a few calls, most of them as early as possible. He thought about just no-showing for the meeting with Zyte, but that would probably carry some consequences. So, after the first few calls, he made his way to the agreed-upon location.

“Yeah, I can understand that. Thank you for your consideration, please keep me in touch if you decide on anything. Have a nice day.”

With that done he put his phone away and turned to Zyte. “Alright, I went over the thing. We just have to work out proper payment and I’m good to go.”

GM

"Payment?" replied Zyte, offended. "Why, what use has someone of your incandescent nature for mere money?" he asked, honestly indignant. "It is image, sir! This is the only currency! The only coin! And image is what Zyte can provide!"

"A rebrand, perhaps? A nickname! He goes forth, breaking the boundaries of what it means to be a hero! Behold the TRAIL BLAZER? No? Hmmm....He lights up the city with a new, sexy, kind of justice! He is HOT STUFF! Hmmm, still no?"

"Suit yourself. I would avoid fire in a name though. Makes people think of facial burns. Not good" he explained. "But forget the name. I can put you up around the world! Internet fame and fortune! A multi-layered laminar media assault! Your name will be on all lips, your image in every head! Can you ask for more?"

…why was he here again, exactly? So all that Zyte offered was publicity? The one thing that Bonfire usually offered to others, and could probably get himself without too much trouble? Times like these he was glad smoke couldn’t show emotions, it made dealing with these situations a lot easier.

“Well, you see, this is time I could spend working instead. Where I actually make a nice amount of money. I don’t necessarily need publicity, it’s the one thing I usually supply, even. But if you can make it worth my time, we can both get something from this. If you don’t make any money off of it, I don’t care. But the second you make something, I demand a cut. That’s all I’m really asking for.”

It was weird, looking at this guy. It was too much like looking into a mirror, like Cass was talking to a clone of his. Which … this guy could’ve been, he wouldn’t have put it past Freedom City.

“Yeah, I remember the last time I was in that situation. Let me tell you, AEGIS surrounding a café you’re in with permission to fire isn’t something you need twice in your life. “

GM

"You shall have a cut! Of IM-AGE!" replied Zyte, snapping both hands into a thumbs up. "You get the AGE, and I get the I'M!" he said, which was nonsense, f course. With the faintest hint of sense, which Zyte could magnify (at least in his own head) to the size of a mountain. 

"Anyway, enough of legal print and money. Tres tedious. Time to make ART! time to surf the fifth dimension that is PUBLICITY!" he said. "Thats Zyte Guyst, ladies and gentleman. FIVE DIMENSIONAL ARTISTE! Giving you hit after hit after hit, with a capital S!"

He hefted his laptop and his camera. Zane stifled a chuckle. 

"I don't understand any of what you way" mumbled Chill Pill, somewhat dispirited. 

"Don't worry! You just need to feel it!" said Zyte cheerfully, before redirecting his attention to Bonfire. 

"So! Skull! Mask! Super rage strength! Thugs! Whats the plan!" he asked or demanded, zooming in on Bonfire with his camera. 

Sigh, sigh sigh.

So this was the metaphorical hidden trapdoor. The fact he wouldn’t get paid a bit. This was an actual issue, not something Cass could just let slide. He could spend some time being a hero, sure. But he had a full-time job too, and that would drain some time. He supposed that at least for now it gave him a reason to actually do something but sit around indoors all day, and he could talk his way out of it afterwards. He was waiting on some calls anyways.

Zyte being a bit overeager probably came to Cass’ help in this situation, as he realized. No contract had been signed so far, so the payment was still open. That he could deal with, if Zyte didn’t realize it. And that meant that he could do all of this without any worries. Worst case, he could probably sue for some part of the cut so long as he didn’t sign anything that forbade him from doing so…

He looked over at the camera. “So, we’ve got some sort of gang running around, clearly. That means it’s time to figure out what we can about them. Not the most interesting part, but let’s get this under way. There’s a police station not too far from here, let’s head there. I’ll make some calls on the way, maybe one of my contacts has picked up something. “

“Montage time?”

GM

Certain people knew this, and certain people knew that. Most had a story. The difficulty for Bonfire was sifting through which stories were largely false (most) and which had a hint of truth to them (few). And then sewing those truths together.

By best estimation, the Mask had a bit of a reputation. Arrived by night (normally night, sometimes the day), as an antique from Egypt, on the black market. Some professor (or doctor, or scientist, or artist) or another from Egypt had brought it over, intent on selling it on the black market. The docks, it seems, was the scene of all the shuffling of monies and clandestine activity. The ship, still docked. The professor, still residing on the ship. 

And some gang of thugs, intent on proving themselves in the midst of the sudden rise in competition (the Beastly Boys and the Frogleapers seemingly bouncing back), wanting a piece of Eldritch action...

This had certainly just taken a turn for the interesting. Between all of his sources, a few things added up. And that generally was enough to pursue them. The second the black market was involved, things got a bit more complicated. Mythical artifacts from abroad, and gangs as well? This was the perfect setup for what Zyte was talking about. On one hand, that was great. On the other, it made things just a bit more complicated.

A bog-standard gang job was easy. This, this required some more advanced tactics probably. And those didn’t really work with the kind of company Cass had at the moment. They also were dangerous when doing them alone…

He turned over to Zyte and the camera. “Montage end.” Then, he spoke directly to the camera. “Okay, so, change of plans. My ears around the city picked up some rumours, and we’ve got a proper place to check out first. Looks like we’ll be diving into FC’s underworld earlier than I’d expected.”

With that, he turned back to face the three others. “Alright, let’s head to the harbour instead. Looks like the mask was just brought in, the people who had it before are still in the City. “

He stopped for a second, for one more internal sigh. “We’re really gonna need that “Don’t try this at home” for this one…”

GM

And so...at the Docks...

...Mid Morning...Now....

Zane! Drove an expensive car. Very expensive. Zyte was not all idle boasts, he really was good at his job. A bit of research would confirm it. He was an expert in film making and art, and was competent in multiple other fields, from psychology to computers. A genius - by his own declaration and quite reasonably by fact. And he had made a lot of money. And was still making a lot of money. 

The Docks was a bustle of activity, as usual. Warehouses, sailors, administrators, a few police. And many cordoned off areas - not hard to penetrate, of course, but cordoned off all the same. 

"So how are you doing this, Bonfire? Whats the plan?" asked Zyte, filming both Bonfire and the increasingly awkward and restless Chillpill, who looked rather bamboozled by the turn of events. 

Riding in this expensive of a car was nice. Felt a bit pretentious, but on the other hand, it was an actual, proper vehicle. Not having to rely on FC’s public transport in situations like these was a good thing. And it gave Cass some time to write a few messages and check some E-Mails.

So the police had gotten to the scene first. Which probably was fair, considering the arrest had happened last night. The drawbacks of having an actual sleep schedule, and a contract negotiation. It made the entire thing a bit more complicated. Him not cooperating fully with the police wasn’t something Bonfire needed to be on tape, at all. He wasn’t exactly on their mailing list already.

“Alright, so the police is already investigating. This is where you come in. I’m gonna stay in the area and dig up some info, you guys talk to them and figure out what they know. Anything you can get on why they’re here, what they suspect, so on. A few shots of them doing their job will look good in the show, too. “

That’d give him some time to work on his own, hopefully. And distract the police if he was lucky.

GM

"Shots, yes! Errr...Chill Pill...just come with me and look handsome...or something. Remember...no speaky no talky, huh? stick to the script!" smiled Zyte, handing Chill Pill a piece of paper. 

Chillpill looked at the paper. He turned it over. Then turned it back again. 

"This is blank?" he asked. 

"Exactly!" said Zyte, smiling enthusiastically. "Stick to the script!"

And with that, he dragged chill pill out of the car and got to work. 

"Want a lift anywhere? I'm happy just...ah...chilling?" said the ever relaxed Zane, putting his sandaled feet up on the car dahsboard and his hands behind his head, with a very relaxed grin on his mouth. 

Well that worked better than expected. Meant that Cass had some time to act on his own, so he could actually make his way to the ship and see if he could figure out anything there. He had the feeling that the police hadn’t shown up with the equipment required to pick up his heat signature for something like this.

“Nah, you can stay here. I’m just gonna make a few calls outside, need some privacy for them. The best sources tend to be a bit paranoid, but it’s usually worth it. “

He was about to get out of the car, when he realized what the situation was. This was probably one of the few times he could talk to Zane! (interesting name) under four eyes. Which was probably worth delaying the entire thing for a bit.

“Actually.” He sat back down. “What can you tell me about Zyte?”

GM

"Zyte? Oh man? He's a dick, right?" laughed Zane!

"But seriously, he's not that bad. I mean, he is full of himself, sure. Real full of himself. But, and this is the annoying part, he deserves to be. Sure, he promotes himself, talks about how great he is. Too much. Not a modest bone in his body, but he does know his stuff too. Got degrees and stuff, and the proof is he had made a big success of himself"

"And he's not without a heart too. I was shooting as a stunt man back when he was getting started as like third camera assistant or something. I ended up with a busted knee but he helped me out afterwards. Ended up being his kind of bodyguard. And he's an ok boss, even if I do have to stop him getting punched in the face every now and again haha!"

Zane! laughed full of his big natured heart. 

"So at the end of the day you can trust him. He might screw things up, but he won't lie....might exageratte a bit..." he winked and laughed again. 

It was a few interesting revelations. Not quite what Cass had expected, but not completely off. Not a bad person, if a bit strange, heh. He could respect that, so long as he got his dues (and those included money in the end). It meant he didn’t have to watch his back around him too much, if Zane! was right. He seemed truthful enough, at least.

“Huh, that’s good to know. Thanks for mentioning it. Now, let’s see if I can’t get some more direct info…”

“I’m gonna duck out for a bit, but I’ll stay in the area. Just shoot me a message if anything important happens, I’ve got my phone on me. “ Bonfire flicked one of his business cars towards the car’s windshield, so it bounced off and onto the dashboard. It had his phone number on it. And with that done, he simply dissipated, turning into smoke fully and making his way outside. He gained some altitude to gain a read on the entire situation, while moving forwards, towards the ship that he’d been told about. Perhaps he could exchange a few words with whoever had brought the mask here.

GM

"Sure thing, smoky!" replied Zane! giving a thumbs up to Bonfire. 

From altitude, the docks looked like they were doing a trudging business. In winter time, things slowed down slightly - in mood if nothing else. It was wet, it was cold, and even the merriest soul, whistling a merry tune, could feel it. 

The ship was old but seaworthy, as far as could be told. It had a kind of worn look, and was without a lot of modern appliances. But it still had a radio, life boats, and so on. It looked to be a kind of amalgamation of small cargo vessel and passenger vessel, doing a bit of both but neither terribly well. 

Some sailors were on board, playing cards. They were armed, but not alert, with handguns. Bonfire could spot one security camera covering the main deck. 

While flying above the docks, Cass could just about see Zyte and Chill Pill (still didn’t roll of the tongue) moving around, doing … something. He didn’t feel like interfering with their work, it would probably only lead to them interfering with his. Plus, the less was known about how exactly he managed this the better. The less said about how heroes worked around FCPD rather than with them, the better. For all of them.

So, he moved forwards, towards the ship. Which threw up one major red flag immediately. Any place that had armed guards meant something was going on. Especially if they weren’t in some sort of uniform. Whatever was happening here, it was big. First thing first, he probably had to figure out who was in charge. Nothing gained from mindlessly attacking people. He turned properly invisible, spotting him now would be difficult for them unless they had really good noses. And then, he looked for a way to get into the ship. There just needed to be a crack, something that wasn’t airtight. Preferably something on the bridge…

GM

The Ship was, as might be expected, free from holes. It was, after all, a ship. The few patches of rust were superficial rather than leaky. 

But doors, on the other hand, were not airtight. And the crack to use was quite simple - the door of the bridge. 

Inside was the normal regular bridge of a ship. Somewhat antiquated but still functional. It wouldn't win any prizes for technology or modern style, and one would imagine it took considerably more effort to maintain - and suffered a few more breakdowns that one would expect. But it was all there - radar, sonar, and so on. 

And the captain of the ship, a tall bald man with a scar or two, was bent over some maps, consulting. Having a look at them, it seemed that he was plotting a course to northern Africa. Egypt, by the best guess. 

Alright, that’s the Captain. Hit him up if I don’t find anybody else, sounds like a plan…

The Captain was more of a last resort for Bonfire. Talking to the head-honcho was more than just a bit risky when his lackeys all had guns on them. But if he’d need information, that was the guy he was going to get it from, probably.

Still, he was here to find an archaeologist, one who’d arrived on this ship. There was a chance he-slash-she was still on the ship, and perhaps it was worth figuring out that one without announcing himself to a bunch of likely-angry sailors. So, Bonfire slipped further inside the ship, taking a peek into all the rooms. Mainly to figure out how many people were on the ship (the archaeologist probably wouldn’t look like one?), and to get an idea of what was where. And if he wouldn’t find what he was looking for, he could always go and talk to the Sailors directly…

GM

The rest of the ship was very much as one might expect; a creaky but seaworthy vessel which was about function rather than comfort - and yet it did not sink to complete discomfort. There were perhaps a dozen sailors, some relaxing, playing cards, even drinking. The cook was stewing something warm and spicy. 

And in the passenger seat, an old man with a trimmed white beard was working on some books, and making notes in his notebook. 

Despite Bonfires veil of invisibility, he looked straight up and addressed Bonfire directly. 

"What are you?" he asked, a trace of impertinence. "A Djinn? Don't stand there gawping. I have the second sight. Nothing escapes my eyes, old as they may be..."

Oh, huh, change of plans, then

Bonfire was a bit taken aback by somebody seeing straight through his invisibility. It happened quite often, sure, but that was usually related to being able to catch his heat signature, not completely unassisted. This did mean he now knew a bit more about what was going on, because if this guy had some sort of power, that meant there was a bit more behind the mask.

He dropped his invisibility and his smoke-cloud form, now standing inside the ship in his usual look, with his head made of smoke. There was a chance he’d get attacked in just a moment, so he decided not to become corporeal again. Scanning the room with his eyes, he responded.

“No idea what I am, but that’s not further important. I heard some rumours about you being involved with a mask and I’m quite interested in learning a bit more about it. “

GM

"My name is Cornelius Armitage. Professor Cornelius Armitage" he said, a smile on his lips but not, it should be said, in his eyes. "I am a historian. An archeologist. A mythologist, theologist, and anthropologist. I have spent my life investigating ancient pre history items and scripts from around the world. I recently procured a small treasure trove of Egyptian antiquities and am selling them off to an interested part for a not small fortune" he explained. 

"And it would be very important to know who, and what you are, sir. I have done you the politeness of my name and occupation. And even my business. I am a man of somewhat advanced years yet in rude health, and have possessed what could be called an Eldritch Eye for most of my adult life. There, sir, you have a fair and honest, if succinct appraisal of myself. I would therefore ask you kindly to procure me with your nature and business in kind, or are you ignorant in these matters? I might be able to help?"

Cass didn’t really see a reason not to follow the man’s request. He did however decide to match the man’s tone and sounds just a fancy. Perhaps it was an age thing? Either way, after a second to ease himself into it, he responded.

“Well then, Mr. Armitage, it is a pleasure to meet you. I am Bonfire, a blogger, PR Agent, photographer, but perhaps most importantly, a hero by trade. “

“I have recently come into the possession of a mask of quite a peculiar nature, which I acquired after being attacked by a man who seemed to draw from its strength. As I don’t have much in the ways of knowledge when it comes to matters of ancient magics, I have instead come to find you and ask about the nature of this mask and whether it is connected to any other items you have recently sold. “

Talking like this, Cass could just picture himself sitting there with a fancy wine glass and an oversize cushioned chair. He’d have to get one of those once he moved to a new apartment.