Would this be awesome? y/n

I am noticing a lack of ape characters! I have a plan. OK, this ape gets experimented on enough that he gains intelligence enough to speak! He then breaks out and uses his new found intelligence to fight for the rights of simian kind! Now what I'm proposing is to have an ape with just enough Intelligence to be sapient. Three, to be exact. Maybe he'll have powers too. The thing is I want to run this idea off before I go through with it. Lame or not? I seriously laughed for a good ten minutes when I thought of it and still am chuckling about it.

Freedom City does have an Intelligent Ape in it, Dr. Simian. He's a member of the Crime League. He fights for simian rights (well, animals rights in general), and hates most humans. There's also an entire parallel world populated by apes, Earth-Ape.

Also, playing a character with an Int of 3 would be very difficult. You'd have the smarts of an infant. Lassie would be considerably smarter than him (assuming s/he has stats similar to the Wonder Dog from Golden Age, which has Int 6, Wis 12, and Cha 6).

Now, that all being said, I'm all for Super-Apes -- it's one of the sillier things form comics that has a special place in my heart. But if you're gonna do it, I'd suggest got for a more unique angle. Namely, powers -- most comic apes I'm aware of either don't have any real powers, or have vast mental powers (like DC's Gorilla Grodd), though there are of course exceptions (the Red Ghost's trio of super-simians). So, go for a superpowered ape with atypical shticks. Maybe he's a supremely skilled martial artist, or has sonic powers, or growth (or growth and shrinking), or he's some sort of were-ape (a human that turns into a gorilla... or maybe a gorilla that turns into a man!), or he's mostly ape but partly something else (baboon-tiger? gorilla-lion?). Of course, the classics -- like a human brain in a gorilla's body -- can be good, too.