Praetorian headquarters and space ships

Okay, so starting a new thread for this.  We have pretty much set the space ships previously, though I have made some slight updates to them now (making them even more expensive!).

I also have added a draft for the headquarters on CoVic Station. 

The main issue is that the cost of all these is 305 ep! 

Currently, we have the following donations:

Traveller (Tiff) +10 ep

Moon-Moth (Ex) +10 ep

Paradigm (me) +195 ep

Pugio (Blarghy) +35 ep

Hazmat (Azuth) +75 ep

Total: 325 ep

So, we are 90 ep short!   I can use some more rewards to cover this, but would be nice to get more members to pitch in a few points to the joint vehicles and base.  :D

So, once Hazmat is approved we will have more than enough to cover the two ship and the HQ (I added a couple extra things on the ships so the price inched up to 308 ep).  Still good to have some extra in case we think of something we want to add.  And if we get enough points from other people and pick up more members, it may be necessary to get a third spaceship.

The Devotion

Aquila Class Spacecraft (138 ep)

Size: Awesome (-12 atk/def; STR 60; Toughness: 15) [5 ep]

Str: 75 [3 ep]

Toughness: 20 [5 ep]

Features: [13 ep]

Navigation System 2 [+10 Navigation checks]

Computer

Fire Prevention System

Hanger [only Huge or smaller spacecraft]

Holding Cells

Gym

Infirmary

Laboratory

Living Space

Security System

Workshop

Think Tank [AI system]

Powers: [111 ep]

Flight 8 (2,500 mph) [16 ep]

Super-Movement 3 (Space Travel 3: Intergalactic) [6 ep]

Enhanced Dodge 4 (Improved Maneuvering Thrusters) [8 ep]

Enhanced Attack 6 (Targeting Computers) [12 ep]

Comm System 4 (8 pp array, Feat: Alternate Power, Subtle) [10 pp]

• BP: Communication 8 (Radio, 2,000 miles) {8/8}
  • AP: Communications 16 (Radio, Nearby Solar Systems, Flaw: Move Action) {8/8}

Sensor Suite 3.2 (16 pp container) [16 ep]

• Super-Senses 8 (Radar [Accurate, Radius, Ranged Radio Sense], Analytical, Extended 3 [x10,000 increment]) {8/16}
  • Super-Senses 8 (Visual, Analytical (all visual), Extended 2 (all visual) [x1,000 increment], Infravision, Ultravision) {8/16}

Super-Senses 1 (Communication Link [Praetorian headquarters]) [1 ep]

Weapon Systems 20 (40 point array; 2 alt power) [42 pp]

• Blast 10 (plasma blasters) (Extra: Autofire; Penetrating 5; Feats: Improved Range 3 (1,000 foot increment); Progression (Range) 2 (5,000 feet max range)) {40/40}
  • AP: Blast 10 (quantum torpedoes) (Extras: Burst Area; Penetrating 5; Feats: Progression (Area) 1 (100 foot radius); Progression (Range) 4 (25,000 feet max range)) {40/40}
  • AP: Move Object 20 (tractor beam) (100 Str) {40/40}

The Kavaca

Mercury Class Spacecraft (131 ep)

Size: Colossal (-8 atk/def; STR 50; Toughness: 13) [4 ep]

Str: 60 [2 ep]

Toughness: 16 [3 ep]

Features: [11 ep]

Navigation System 2 [+10 Navigation checks]

Computer

Fire Prevention System

Holding Cells

Infirmary

Laboratory

Living Space

Security System

Workshop

Think Tank [AI system]

Powers: [111 ep]

Flight 11 25,000 mph) [22 ep]

Super-Movement 3 (Space Travel 3: Intergalactic) [6 ep]

Enhanced Dodge 4 (Improved Maneuvering Thrusters) [8 ep]

Enhanced Attack 4 (Targeting Computers) [8 ep]

Comm System 4 (8 pp array, Feat: Alternate Power, Subtle) [10 pp]

• BP: Communication 8 (Radio, 2,000 miles) {8/8}
  • AP: Communications 16 (Radio, Nearby Solar Systems, Flaw: Move Action) {8/8}

Sensor Suite 3.2 (16 pp container) [16 ep]

• Super-Senses 8 (Radar [Accurate, Radius, Ranged Radio Sense], Analytical, Extended 3 [x10,000 increment]) {8/16}
  • Super-Senses 8 (Visual, Analytical (all visual), Extended 2 (all visual) [x1,000 increment], Infravision, Ultravision) {8/16}

Super-Senses 1 (Communication Link [Praetorian headquarters]) [1 ep]

Blast 10 (plasma blasters) (Extra: Autofire; Penetrating 5; Feats: Improved Range 3 (1,000 foot increment); Progression (Range) 2 (5,000 feet max range)) [40/40]

Praetorian’s Headquarters [39 ep total]

Size: Colossal [5 ep]

Toughness +25 [4 ep]

Features: [30 ep]

Combat Simulator [1]

Communications [1]

Computer [2] (Masterwork)

Defense System x2 (Concussion Blasters (Blast 11); Stasis Fields (Snare 11) [2]

Fire Prevention System [1]

Gym [1]

Hanger [1]

Holding Cells x2 (Nullifiers and +37 Toughness cells) [2]

Infirmary [2] (Masterwork)

Laboratory [2] (Masterwork)

Library [2] (Masterwork)

Living Space x3[3]

Personnel [1]

Pool [1]

Power System [1]

Security System x4 (DC 35) [4]

Think Tank [1] [AI System]

Workshop [2] (Masterwork)

Once I stop being lazy and find the energy and time to make my Praetorian character, I still plan to devote the rest of my Bronze reward (7PP left, I think) to these communal team belongings.  Sorry it's taking me so long, but like a lot of people, I've just had trouble staying motivated lately.  :(

What's with the Enhanced Attack on the ships, though?  Defense, I understand, because vehicles use their own Defense and Toughness, but I thought that whichever character was attacking would use their own Attack bonus, right?  So, wouldn't a PL10 character with a +10 ranged bonus or more, using these 10-rank weapons, go over caps?  How's that work?

I've never actually tried vehicular combat (although I want to, which is why I plan to make a pilot character), so I may be wrong here.

Hey Blarghy, I have always worked under the assumption that the size modifier for vehicles (just like characters) is for both attack and defense.  I have not found anything in the rules to suggest otherwise, so it is there to offset some of the attack penalty.  Now that I look at it, I will probably roll the Enhanced Attack into the array as accuracy.

Also, looking forward to your Praetorian!  And as I mentioned in a PM to the currently active Praetorians players, I am mainly just hoping that everyone contributes about 4-5 PP worth of EP to the joint ships/HQ, but if you are comfortable donating 7 from an award that is up to you.  :D 

Except that you are using weapons that are incorporated into the big, giant vehicle.  The old D6 Star Wars rules had some pretty good rules about weapon scaling, like if a Star Destroyer tried to fire its main weapon batteries (designed to take out other capital ships) at an X-Wing, it would take a really good gunner or some luck to hit the X-Wing, but the Star Destroyer also had lost of smaller, starfighter scale guns to act as point defense and had normal chances to hit starfighers (and while those guns could hit other capital ships, they likely would do little in the way of damage).  There are a lot of things that are sort of clunky about the vehicles rules in M&M, and mostly they are not a problem for most superhero settings, but tend to come up more in space.

As noted in the character I just submitted (pending approval), I'm giving 7PP to these communal things.

Furthermore, I was thinking it could be fun to write a Guidebook entry on the ships.  One thing I really liked about Rogue Trader (a spin-off of Warhammer 40K) was that the ships were huge, detailed, and could essentially be characters in and of themselves.  If we want to put more detail into the two Praetorian vessels, maybe come up with a few NPC staffers (the Personnel feature could be good; I assume that the Praetorians aren't the only people on board), figure out what they look like and what kind of neat personal details each one has, and so on, then I'd be willing to write it up. 

What does everybody think?

Cool Blarghy, I took a glance at your character and things looked good, but did not make a detailed look.

Only thing is the Praetorian ships have already been portrayed in terms of their size.  The Devotion is big, but not a massive ship.  It is actually based on a design starship design I got off DriveThruRPG.  The deck plan has at least three decks, so it is big enough for a small sized crew (Vahn's old character had been a member of the crew during the battle with the Communion 2000 years ago).  It's plans also have small hanger that could hold your fighter, so we could add that to the plan.

The Kavaca is a much smaller ship, bigger than your fighter but only one deck and only a small cargo area.  It is small enough that it really does not need any crew other that the Praetorians using it as a mission.

I did add personnel to the HQ though, so we could think about who they might be an why they work for the Praetorians.

Alright.  I'll try to learn more about the Praetorians and Space stuff in general as I play more of it, and if people have requests or ideas for Guidebook entries, then I'm happy to try to help!  I just need to get more familiar with this aspect of the setting first, but that should happen on its own during play.  It's easier to get immersed directly, rather than binging in the Archives. 

Okay, with the points added by Az and Blarghy, we now have more than enough (see my first post).  As I note there, we can see if there is anything we want to add in or not, and, it may be we want to add a third ship at some point, so still might need newer characters to chip in a bit as well.

For now I am keeping the adjustments to the attack bonus as an offset on size penalty (ref team is discussing whether it applies or not), we may drop those if we do not need them.

So, anyone else got anything to add before we finalize these and put them up in a shared HQ/Ships thread in Known Space?