The Magic of Reading (IC)

"mmm probably the best place for him" Facsimile mumbled to himself, a little annoyed at the entire affair he'd been dragged into by his brothers incessant envy but that was neither here nor their "You been teaching him magic? thats the reason he bought the book, i imagine he'll have been hounding you over it whilst he's been here."

it was important to know these things before going further, his brother, ever a competative sort would wanna work out whoms powers were stronger as soon as he was able, perhaps something best put on hold if it were an issue.

"Ill go get him and bring him up, then we can work out how to bamboozle this book and break out."

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sounds like a plan," said Nicole as Facsimile moved to exit the room. "I'll keep Mister Horis company."

She turned to look at Daniel and sat down, staring at him intently as she thought. A hero, not one who used his talents to fight but one who must have saved lives nonetheless. It was another way of going about being a hero, perhaps slanted heavily towards one aspect that he had ignored the rest. Mask, code name, powers and all. He had done good even if he refused to go the well-trodden path.

Could she really criticize his decision?

She couldn't really imagine being in his place when just a week inside this thrice-damned book made her feel like pulling her hair out. That was alone of course and with only the barest use of electricity, so that made it ten times worse. It wasn't a feeling she cherished, being outside her element so much. Bereft of her gadgets and the world, of seeing real people, frayed ones edges. It tore down at their walls, bit by bit until there was nothing left.

Daniel had it so much worse than her, so much longer. It was a feat and put the man in front of her in a new light. Perhaps she shouldn't be so harsh, biting her lip against something she'd regret afterward, some retort about his magic or a critique about his heroics.

Edited by Zeitgeist Blue
  • 2 weeks later...

As Facsimile walking down the stone spiraling staircase torches lining the wall seem to magically light ahead of him. With each floor he passes he notices that most of the floors look to be in disuse as more and more piles of dust and cobwebs surround the him. He cant help but feel like something is watching him...Finally reaching the bottom floor he sees the thick iron bars coating the doorway with the heavy iron gate swung ajar. Inside there is a dark cloaked figure starring at some sort of green magical orb that pulses as it sporadically grows and shrinks. Suddenly the orb disappears in on itself and you hear the robed figure. "Oh darn it! I almost for sure had it that time! Sigh, well going to have to ask him for more diamond dust..." He turns startled to see you and fumbled backwards toppling over a chair. "Bro, is that you?"

Meanwhile as Salvo keeps Dan company... Grunting to clear his throat. "So...I have you figured to be a mage of some sort. Is that correct? I can always tell when another in my profession has that impulse itch to make rituals and cast spells...If you want I can show you the Ritual Chamber later. It has all the magical ingredients one could ask for. I might be able to teach you a thing or two aswell."

Nicole looked at Dan quizzically, his offer churning in her head. She was very very good at what she did but that was a far cry from magical omniscience. Learning as much as she could about what she loved, even though she had her own unique style of rituals, made her truly intelligent. Not her mental acuity or her proficiency of prior knowledge. Talking shop, in other words with a man thought dead for fifty years. Fun.

"I am a mage," Slowly a smile formed, excitement building up as she thought of what she could find and accomplish with a fully furnished stockpile of ingredients. Whatever he kept, however he did his rituals, could tell her a great deal him. Just as a musician may lay bare her soul through her music, so too could a mage through their magic. "Oh? I'll take you up on that offer then and those lessons."

• 2 weeks later...

"hey Richard, hows it going?" he stated as neutrally as possible as he approaches, black metallic body gleaming in the darkness as metallized shoes clanged against the stone of the tower basement

"Been keeping yourself busy i see." he says with a slight grin as he gestures to where the orb had been previously "whatcha working on?"

"Oh, uhhh...I...I was trying to make a Aura of Ingenuity...The old guy said it would help open my mind and make other spells easier. Oh yeah, I can do some magic now!" His face breaks out into a massive grin that Facsimile is all too used to. "I've only been here for a couple months and I can already do cool stuff like make Light Balls and see through walls! Just a few more weeks and I can start coming with you and beat up baddies. Arn't you happy?"

Meanwhile in the Dining Room...

While the Sorcerer's face was shrouded in darkness you could feel the warmth in his voice. "Great! I'm sure I can show you all sorts of wonders from way back. I get the feeling that you are more of a physical type of mage instead of elemental or physic. I'm more of a elemental type myself but that shouldn't be an issue. You wouldn't be the first I've taught something to. I do wonder though, what made you become one? Power, freedom, or just the joy of learning?"

"I didn't take you to be that perceptive, Mister Horis." Nicole leaned forward, her eyes glinting with a slow fire and a small smile gracing her lips. She was sixteen but in the ways of the mage, wizard, magician, creator she would be thrice-damned and ritually locked if she were to be one-upped by any adult. It was in the details, the minute and inconsequential, that one could read the other in regards to the magical like one did an open book... if only one learned to do so. She wondered what did her in.

Was it the way her fingers drummed as if they needed something to do? Was it her nervous energy, humming and wondering as her eyes flitted to each surface? Or something that required magic to discover? That would be cheating then.

"You'll find me to be a fast learner," Nicole states finally. "My family ensured that. It wouldn't do otherwise if magic is your birthright."

• 3 weeks later...

"yeah Richard, I'm really glad for you." he said sincerely as he rested up against the wall "right now upstairs we're discussing how to get out of this book and back to reality." he says with a sigh "feels too easy though if im honest, something tells me trouble is brewing...you've been here for a while yeah?" he asks "tell me whatcha think about that guy upstairs from your intuition."

• 2 weeks later...

Richard gave a confused look. "Huh, you mean the old guy? He's...alright I guess." Scratching behind his head. "He is a little weird though. Whenever I go to sleep I can sometimes hear him talking to himself. Couldn't make out the words but he sounded upset, think he heard him crying once too. I tried asking him about it but he dodged me." Giving a shrug. "If the old fart doesn't want to talk then I guess its not a problem. Besides he is still teaching me all kinds of cool stuff!" Richard snaps his fingers and a small flame appears in his hand. "So why you here anyways? Not for me, otherwise you would've come months ago."

Meanwhile back upstairs...

The old Sorcerer gave a hearty chuckle. "Well that's good to hear. I always enjoy helping those with the talent reach their potential. Would be a nice change of pace to help a more experience mage. The boy is ambitious but he lacks the focus.  Beginners always want things fast and easy and never realize the kind of commitment it takes to become truly great. Would be best to wait for your friend to return before we head to my study. Would hate for him to think we left him but until then please, enjoy you meal."

She did not preen, not quite, because she had reminded herself of things that were best left unsaid, people best left forgotten. But she would not deny that some things about her came about from her parents' monomaniacal fixation on grooming the best and brightest. It was a gift wrapped in coarse sandpaper, unwanted and unasked for but given nonetheless.

Nicole gave a polite smile then went back to her supper. "It's taken him long enough," she said after taking and swallowing a spoonful. "Catching up with his brother. I think Facsimile mentioned he was missing for a few weeks now." Another spoonful. "I'll be fine waiting for him."

"hmm as i suspected then, times a bit wibbly wobbly inside this book, Rick, i jumped in like 10 seconds after ya in the outside world...knocked on ya door to see if you were all right with all the noise first of course." he explained as he shifted a little bit against the wall he leaned upon, sparks scattering where his steel body scraped the stone.

"Honestly, i get a strange feeling from the guy, he won't look at me straight sometimes, whenever he thinks im not paying attention...so be on guard yeah? magic is tricky buisness."

Scratching the back of his head. "I don't know...he is teaching me to be a wicked cool hero so how bad can the guy be? You're not jealous are you? I'm sure he can teach you too if you ask. Him teaching is the only time he ever seems happy." Yawning with an exaggerated stretch. "Man, must of lost track of time again. Wanna get some grub?"