Ooooh Fashion (turn to the Left)

West Gables Housing Unit, North End

After the holiday's thing were settling back to normal at school, thanks to so many heroes around Freedom kept running despite the cold weather. And whilst some liked the dark and gloomy weather many in the House had decided they need do something to brighten up the winter and raise some money for those struggling in this weather. So after a quite enthusiastic night of discussion, it was decided to do a fashion show to show off some of the Colleges best designers. The show had been going stunningly well and many of the tickets had already been sold.

Casey was in her room one dark and wintery morning when there was a knock on the door and Lola stuck her head around the door, not even waiting for a response.

"There a woman in the Common Room to see you, says you know her." from the sound of this mysterious stranger had caught Lola attention.

• 3 weeks later...

As was often the case when she was in her dorm, Casey was on her MacBook making a show of 'working on homework', but the fact was that homework took up very little of her time, due to her super-speed. Typically it took the blonde heroine less than five minutes a night to get all her reading and writing assignments done; the rest of her 'homework time' was spent doing independent research for her superhero work or responding to fan mail on her new HeroHouse account. Due to her speed, she actually managed to read and respond to most of the posts, at least not the pervy ones (ick!)

When Lola poked her head in, Casey looked up and frowned, the glow of her laptop reflected in her glasses. "She says she knows me? Uh, okay." Closing her MacBook (she could really use a break from reading about Jamaican posses anyway), the young journalism major stepped out of her room and into the hallway; she was wearing an oversize Denver Broncos jersey, FCU sweatpants and a pair of Uggs as she looked into the common room.

"Hello?"

Despite her excitement about meeting with one of her friends Daphne waited until Casey could see who was waiting, even though she already knew that her friend was on her way, but not by much as she threw her arms around her and gave her a massive hug.

"Oh wow it's great to see you again it's been like forever since we last met." she finally said once she left the hug "Hope you don't mind me just dropping in but I thought we could catch up on old time?"

Having made a good show of them being old friends, her media studies was obviously paying off, she added telepathically.

I need your help with something again, is there somewhere we can go and talk in private?

• 2 weeks later...

"Oh hi, Daph-oof!" Now more used to her alien friend's long hugs, Casey happily rode it out, giving as good as she got. "Oh, it's so good to see you! How were your holidays? C'mon, I'll show you my room!"

The eager freshman led the way to her room, which was clearly split between two occupants. Casey's half was very tidy, with lots of Girl Scout paraphernalia on display, as well maps of various national parks and photos of her family and sorority sisters, whereas the other was much messier, featuring touristy knick-nacks from New York as well as Puerto Rico.

"My roomie's almost never here," Casey explained as she motioned for Daphne to sit on her immaculately-made bed (a sure sign of a military brat) while she turned around her study chair and took a seat. "So we've got some privacy. What's up?"

Miss Grue

With great care and attention, Daphne managed to find somewhere to sit on the less tidy side of the room. She leaned forward hand clasped and between her legs.

"This is a little embarrassing really..." she paused for a second to quickly check that no one was close enough to hear before continuing

"When my race planned to invaded this planet they set up a fund for there sleeper agents, luckily they were stopped by the League but the funds still remained. Ever since I arrived I've been using the funds, and it was just me. But recently someone been using the funds, and according to Mother Unit's analysis they are going to be at you show!"

• 1 month later...

Casey's eyes widened at this bizzare revelation. "So we're talking about...like a checking account with debit cards and everything? Wow!" In a way, it was both amusing and frightening to think of invading aliens setting up bank accounts to fund their operations here on Earth, but it made sense; you couldn't just give them bags of gold to pay for things.  

"Now when you say they're going to be at our show, and I assume your intel is good, do you think they'll be in the audience, or actually participating?" She moved over to her own bed so she could lean closer to Daphne and whisper, "Is it one of my sorority sisters?"

Edited by Heritage

Miss Grue

"Well, Mother Unit did some of the work, something about primitive human computers systems and a too easy. We'd only been here for a few hours after all. Mother Unit says hello by the way!"

Daphne knew the whole setup was a little suspect, but at least now she was using it for good and keeping a lookout in case other Grue started to use the funds. Which was why she was here now really.

"As far as I can tell they're going to be in the audience, someone has been doing this at a couple of different but similar occasions and locations."

• 3 weeks later...

"Oh, tell her I said hi, too," Casey replied almost reflexively; both her parents and the Scouts instilled politeness into her as a core value. The blonde heroine furrowed her brow in thought as she pondered the various aspects of the case; at this point, not a lot of it made sense, but perhaps it was a mistake to ascribe human motivations to a possibly alien suspect.

"So, do we have any idea as to our perp's M.O.? You say they've been going to similar events; similar in what way? And do we know what they did at these other events? Is anyone in any sort of physical danger?"

Edited by Heritage
  • 2 weeks later...

Miss Grue

"Done..." Daphne replied with a smile, easily staying in psychic contact with her AI mother "...she says to make sure you eating a correct infusion of necessary foodstuffs. I think she must really likes you..."

For a few seconds, she was quiet as apparently Mother Unit was relaying more care advice that Daphne choose not to relay.

"Sorry about that, she worries obviously. Right whoever is doing this seems fascinated with up and coming fashion designers, if it's an invasion it's going to be really well dressed! And despite Mother Units best efforts, I can find out anything about them, so I don't know if they're a threat or not. With the Meta-Mind back in control, I'm afraid that my people might be looking to invade again!" she sounded genuinely concerned about something like this happening.

• 4 weeks later...

Casey was struggling a bit here; she could tell by Daphne's concerned expression that there was a serious potential threat on the horizon, but on the other hand she'd never taken fashion all that seriously. Perhaps growing up in an outdoorsy, military family failed to instill the proper regard for couture that so many of her friends seemed to share.

"Well, huh; the one time you really wish there were 'fashion police', right?" She felt her feeble attempt at humor dying on her lips even as she spoke it, which led to her awkwardly clearing her throat. "Okay, to be honest, I've never been much of a clothes horse." The blonde heroine indicated her very casual, comfy clothes.  "But, you know, people tell me that I'm, uh, cute." Her cheeks went an adorable shade of pink. "So maybe the best way to protect the show is to, um...be part of the show? Like, actually modeling outfits?"

Casey shrugged, clearly feeling way out of her depth. 

Miss Grue

Daphne jumped up with her hands up in the air before doing a little of dance of joy.

"Fashion shoe time... We're going to do a Fashion Show! I'm mean you're going to be amazing obviously!"

Daphne carried on for a few minutes before settling down a little, though she still had that excited little look as she carried on explaining.

"One of the organisers has things on her laptop, so I can get Mother Unit to add you to the show and maybe add a little profile to make things look more legitimate." she looked a little guilty before adding "If you're cool with all that obviously?"

Casey laughed and shook her head.  "While I appreciate your willingness to hack into someone's laptop for me, I actually don't think that will be necessary." The blonde heroine sighed.  "You see, my sorority sisters have been begging me to model for them, but up until now, I've always said 'no'. They've been saying things like, 'Come on, Case! You're blonde, tanned and have legs for days; can we pleeease put you in girly clothes?' In fact, I bet I can just send a text..."

She pulled out her iPhone and rapidly sent a text with one thumb, then held up one finger and smiled, raising her eyebrows. A few seconds later, several high pitched squeals of delight could be heard from one of the rooms down the hall, and she chuckled as she nodded in satisfaction.

"That seems to have taken care of it."

Edited by Heritage
  • 2 weeks later...

Miss Grue

Daphne looked a little guilty and chastised for a few moments.

"Ah yeah my bad, the problem with trying to unravel a conspiracy is that you tend to forget where the end are! Your friends are as far as I can tell on the level, though I'd never just probe their minds without permission."

She'd learned a lot over the years about how humans tended to value their privacy so tended not to probe people mind unless it absolutely necessary. Except for maybe, there surface thoughts as people just couldn't help but broadcast them, it was like they just mentally shouted out what was on there mind.

Still, that was the least of what was on her mind right now as she gave her friend another huge hug.

"We're going to do a fashion show!"

Casey laughed as she warmly returned Daphne's hug; based on her enthusiasm and big heart, she would probably fit right in among her sorority sisters. 

"Yep, it looks we're finally going to see 'Miracle Girl Barbie' in action!" Then she paused as a thought finally hit her. "Oh, and I'm guessing you want to model, too, right?" The blonde heroine indicated her friend's physique with a wave of her hand. "I'm pretty sure they'd love to have you, seeing as you could probably make a burlap sack look fabulous. Then we'd have two heroes in the show to watch out for trouble."

Miss Grue

"Who me? I'm nothing special why would anyone want to see me on the stage?"

Raised, more or less literally, by television Daphne had a very strange idea on the subject of such things. What most would consider to be a beauty to Daphne's eyes was just average. Despite the years she'd spent on Earth she hadn't quite shaken the idea that she wasn't anything but an average teenage woman.

"I guess I can come up with something more suitable if you want me to be there with you. We'll have to come up with something suitable obviously."

• 3 weeks later...

Once again, Casey was rather amused by the workings of her friend's alien mind. As a Grue, she might not fully understand human standards of attractiveness; she probably just flipped through a few fashion magazines for inspiration, and went from there.

"Well, whatever makes you most comfortable; frankly, I think 'Daphne' has a nice, 'girl next door' quality to her, but if you want to try on someone else, be my guest."

Just then, the blonde heroine's phone began to play Ray Charles' 'Georgia On My Mind', and she winked at Daphne and picked it up.  "Hi Darlene!...yes, I did...well, let's say that, a friend talked me into it."

She grinned at the young Grue and wiggled her eyebrows.

"Yep! And actually, she might be interested in modeling, too...or maybe, like, a friend of hers...I'm not sure yet. Do we need, like, any specific types?"

She shrugged.

"Like, I don't know, taller or shorter girls, or...redheads or something? Yeah, she has lots of cute friends."

Edited by Heritage
  • 2 weeks later...

GM Post
Even with a sorority full of organisers, the actual day was still a rush of people trying to get everything done right now! Even the lorded models were roped into helping to get everything ready on time. With so many people around and watching it was impossible to use any powers to speed thing along, besides it would be almost impossible to explain the sudden completion.

With less than an hour to go before curtain up, everything was as in place as it was ever going to be and the models could finally get themselves ready, or at least those that needed to apply makeup physically, and discuss how they were going to do everything today.

• 2 weeks later...

Pi Epsilon Delta had a small assembly hall that was typically used for talent shows, pledging ceremonies and other events; behind the stage was a small room used for changing into clothes and storing props, with a small bathroom attached, and it was in one these stalls that the bulletproof young heroine was close to having a panic attack.

Casey had done a few scary things in her time; helping to rescue an airplane full of passengers, evacuating people from a Caribbean resort caught in the middle of not one but two hurricanes, and all sorts of other frightening situations. But all of those paled compared to the thought of standing in front of a room of strangers wearing a sultry dress. It wasn't that she had low self-esteem or felt unattractive, at least not beyond the normal level of insecurity that most women constantly and unfortunately live under. No, it was more due to a sort of internalized fear of sexual expression that she knew came from her father.

Like a lot of dads, especially the more conservative ones, Colonel Steve Blankenship liked to pretend that his little girl was never going to have a relationship with men of any kind; all those grandchildren he was always vocally hoping for would more or less spontaneously occur, probably courtesy of a stork. It didn't matter to him that Casey could more than take care of herself, even before she got her superpowers; it was all a lot of BS about purity, marriage and wanting to keep his little girl safe, and all those messages about 'good girls' and 'bad girls' had been drilled into her head for years.

There is nothing wrong with wearing an outfit that accentuates your body. It's not a sin, it doesn't make you a slut or make you look cheap; it makes you you look like the confident young woman you are. Plus it's for a good cause.

You can do this, Case; this is nothing.

Taking a deep breath, Casey stepped out of the stall and into the backstage room; she was wearing a powder blue evening dress, three inch white pumps and a pair of borrowed diamond earrings. She'd found an amazing pair of vintage cat's eye glasses frames, and her long blonde hair was piled majestically on her head, showing off her lovely and graceful neck. Smoothing down the dress and adjusting her bust, she looked at her sorority sisters sheepishly. 

"Okay, be honest; how goofy do I look in this?"

Her three favorite Pi sisters, Darlene, Steph and Lola, were too stunned for words for several seconds, until it began to get uncomfortable, and she cringed.

"Oh God...is it that bad?"

Finally Lola broke the silence, her usual NYC swagger reduced to a near whisper. "Marry me, Colorado."

"Dear Lord; you are vision, Casey Blankenship!" Darlene shook her head in pure admiration. 

"You clean up good, Head Case; no doubt about it," said Steph with a nod and a slight grin.

"Aww, thanks, guys," the eternal Girl Scout said with an embarrassed smile as her cheeks went quite pink. Then she turned to Daphne and gave her a somewhat manic grin and a thumbs up.

"Let's do this!"

Edited by Heritage
  • 3 weeks later...

Miss Grue

When Daphne picked her shape she didn't think about how others would react to it, a form that was now more natural than her original Grue form. One side effect was that she was natural clothes horse even without her shapeshifting power and generally looked good in anything. Generally she never really saw the difference, all human body shape were fascinating to her. But she'd learned that it did matter to other humans, she was a telepath after all, so she knew when not to stand out among others, like today.

She'd pick at slightly plainer, but still good looking face, and was for now dressed down. Yes, there were there to catch a potential enemy, but it didn't mean she couldn't make her friend look and feel good.

"You look amazing Casey you'll knock 'em dead out there!"

Casey seemed to relax a little bit. "Thanks, all of you." She sighed and shook her head. "I'm not used to..." The blonde powerhouse indicated her outfit with a wave of her hand. "My dad ran a pretty strict household, and he was pretty critical if I ever dressed too...you know, sexy. I really appreciate all your support, and- "

Suddenly she was overcome by emotion as tears spontaneously welled from her eyes; as a Girl Scout and wholesome 'daddy's girl', Casey hadn't had a lot of chances to experiment or play dress up as a child. And later as a jock, most of her clothes were chosen for comfort, durability and machine washability, and her best friend in high school preferred flight suits and safety gear. It was really only since she'd been a Pi that she finally felt she was able to spread her wings and embrace all sides of her femininity, and it had only been possible due to these amazing girls.

Casey reached out and grabbed all her friends (Daphne, too!) in a powerful hug, lifting them all off the floor to giddily giggle as their feet dangled in the air. "Mmm, I love all you girls!"

Edited by Heritage

Miss Grue

Daphne took a few moments to enjoy the hug and the close minds of everyone else, she was glad that unlike all of the High School movies she'd seen all of them seemed to be genuinely happy for there friend. She didn't pry into humans minds, she quickly found out that they really hated it, but she couldn't help but overhear Casey's thoughts. She was happy for her friend so kept the hug for a few moments longer.

"We should probably get going, lot's of people out there expecting a show!" as normal she was all brightness and smiles

Just enjoy your moment I'll look for our visitor, I promise I'll yell if things get out of hand!

Casey nodded as she replied mentally, adjusting the hang of her dress as headed for the stage entrance; at the last minute, she took of her glasses and handed them to Steph, a bold decision that just felt right.

Okay, will do! Just be ready to cause a distraction if need be; I can change into my Miracle Girl outfit pretty fast, but it's a lot easier if no one's looking my way!

Walking in heels wasn't nearly as hard as she thought it would be; of course, her super-strength and ability to fly helped just a bit with the balance part of it. As she waited her turn in the wings, she scanned the gathered faces with her amazing eyes, cycling between her various types of vision, searching for anything that looked out of place.

Edited by Heritage

GM Post

The room was packed with people, mostly fellow students with a scattering of adults, as always there were rumours that some famous fashion house or other was there to look for talented models and designers. Whilst a large crowd might be good for the house, and of cause the charities they were supporting, it wasn't good for two heroes looking for a potential villain!

And of cause it wasn't going to get any easier, Daphne leaned in to whisper into Casey's ear as they both stood at the side of the stage.

"There some sort of psychic jammer out there, keep an eye out for something strange."

"Of course there is," Casey whispered through the side of her mouth. "Why would they want to make our job any easier?"

Miracle Girl decided to start looking for unusual anatomy or body temperatures, in the hope that any aliens might be more noticable that way; of course, this led to a little discrete peeking under clothes (eek!) with her penetrating vision,  but these were the sorts of risks you had to take in this business!

• 2 weeks later...

GM Post
There was most definitely something weird going on, apart from the fact that Casey was about to go onto a stage in a fancy frock, some of the heat signatures looked a little well off, not quite the norm. Unhelpfully Daphne so used to being human that her body heat was as normal as can be rather than whatever a Grue's would be.

The problem was that at the angle they were at it was difficult to tell for sure which of the crowd was the imposter and who was completely normal. In fact, the most obvious place to tell for sure was right in the middle of the catwalk!