Observing the Mind

Thevshi

"So... no coding while I'm meditating?" she asked, knowing the answer but hoping for something unexpected anyway.

However, it was all smiles for Giang as she slid down from the balance beam.  "I guess I was kidding, I'll try.  I promise.  It's kind of funny really... my dad does Tai Chi every morning and he's tried to get me to do it with him.  I think he said kind of the same thing, but... well it's my dad and I never really listened too him.  I mean, don't get me wrong, he's really wonderful but totally embarrassing too.  I just never could see myself doing things like that and now here we are."

She paused for a moment, "does this mean that we're done for the day?  Because, I've really appreciated this time... well and talking too.  It's all so new, the culture and powers and the school.  It's just nice to have someone to talk with who's done it all."

"We are often creatures of habit."  Giang replied with a small smile as Zhu mentioned her father practicing Tai Chi every morning.  "I still get up early each morning to meditate and practice forms.  It is not always ease, but I still do so."

The young Asian woman then gave a small nod.  "Yes, we are done with training for today.  Although, I do still have some time if you would like to get a coffee and talk more.  It can be a drastic change, both in moving to the States and being at a school such as this. I would be more than happy to offer what advice I might be able to give."

Zhu clapped her hands excitedly as she picked up her coat and put it back on, "I'd like that a lot.  Can I treat?  I'd really like to treat.  I know that you don't have to do this and I'd like to at least show you how much I appreciate this.  I still get by with money from my parents store and odd jobs too.  Oh!  That reminds me, I even found a babysitting job.  It kind of stinks that it's on Valentines Day... but, I haven't had much luck in the way of relationships yet.  Which if you can give ANY advice there, I would probably be in your debt forever."

Opening the door, she held it for Giang, her infectious smile plastered across her face.  Thankfully the wind had died down a little and it shouldn't be too bad of a walk to the local coffee shop.

Giang followed after Zhu with a small smile on her face.  "I would have been happy to treat, but if you insist."  She replied as they pair stepped out into the cold winter air.  Again she did not seem bothered by it despite her windbreaker being for warmer climates. 

"I am not sure I am the best choice for offering any such advice."  Giang replied with a small grin.  "Very early on at my time at Claremont, I became attracted to a boy a year ahead of me.  Unfortunately, he was not very interested in pursuing romantic relationships and was very much something of a monk, though a warrior monk to be sure.  We have remained good friends, but I rarely see him, his work often keeping him out of the country on missions."

"I suppose the one bit of advice I might be able to offer is do not make major changes to who you are just for the benefit of someone else.  It may take time, but you will find others who value you for who you are."

It was not a long walk to the coffee shop as the pair made their way off campus and down a block or so walking through the light covering of snow.  She envied her mentor who didn't seem bothered at all by the climate, but at least it wasn't blowing too much.  Tightening her pea coat around her shoulders she was more than happy to have someone who might understand what she had been going through.

"Well, back home I was really separate from all of the other students.  I didn't have to work at school.  I got perfect scores on all my tests.  I just didn't get the other kids at all.  They wanted to play dolls or Cat and Mouse while I just wanted to work on my latest robot or a piece of code.  So I didn't have any really close friends.  I think the only ones I had were because other families realized I was smart and wanted their kids to associate with me."

She shrugged and smiled, "then I came here and no one treats me all that different... it's just... well sometimes I can still get mistaken for a boy!  My mother is very slender too, but it would be nice to turn someone's eye.  I know it's not all looks, but it's hard to even meet the right people sometimes."

"I can understand how that feels."  Giang replied with a small nod as they walked along the sidewalks near the school.  "When I was growing up in Vietnam, I was not allowed to interact with other children in the village at all, and as I was trained and educated solely by my guardians, I had no opportunity to interact with them in school.  I did not have any friends, close or otherwise, until I came here."

As Zhu talked about trying to meet the right people and turning someone’s eye, Giang smiled.  "Again, I am afraid I am not the best for offering advice for turning someone's eye.  It has not been anything I have prioritized, even when I was hoping to find ways to spend time with John.  But other than just giving such things time, perhaps one thing that can help some is to develop more confidence in yourself.  That can often go just as far as physical appearance in making yourself more appealing to others."

Zhu nodded, she agreed in principle to Giang's words.  Confidence was something that people exuded.  Take Lexa, while Zhu knew that she worried about her metal arms and legs, it didn't matter as she radiated confidence which made her very beautiful indeed.  She could tell from when Jack had entered their room that her roommate would not have a hard time finding someone to share her life with... if she wanted something like that.  

"You're right... so do you think we can get this confidence part solved before Prom?" she said with a smile that said she was at least aware at how silly that sounded.  "I really want to go to that if I can.  I mean, I suppose that I haven't really prioritized trying to attract people either.  There are so many things that are interesting.  Robots, AI, programming, networking... the list is really long."

She kicked at a chunk of ice, sending it skittering across the sidewalk, "so how did you find friends when you came here?"

Giang smiled as well at Zhu's question about how quickly they might be able to work on her confidence issues.  "I cannot make any promises, but we will see if we can make some headway before Prom." 

When Zhu asked about how she found friends a Claremont, Giang gave a small shrug.  "A number of different ways really, more often than not just by happen stance.  The first true friends I made here was very shortly after I started, I had the good fortune to be sent with three other students, including the boy I mentioned being attracted to before, on a trip over a long weekend to a…very distant land.  It was meant to be an opportunity to learn about the various peoples that lived there, we ended up fighting to protect that world from an attempt to conquer it by an ancient evil known as the Serpent People.  Diversity tends to be an ideal means of developing familiarity."

"Others I met through shared interests, such as mediation or training.  But one of the closest friends I made was my roommate during my time here.  She was about as different from me as might be possible, loud and aggressive.  But we managed to learn to see past our differences and our friendship is one I will always cherish."

Zhu paused in the street, standing right under the neon glow of the sign advertising coffee, "that's almost exactly what happened with me.  Rev is my roommate, and she's super cool while I'm well... not as much.  I think she brings out the best in me and maybe I calm her down a little.  I'd like to think I do at least."

Pushing on the glass door, she held it open for Giang as they walked into the warm and welcoming little shop.  Trendy couches and nooks created from book shelves littered the room and nearly hid the lone guy playing an acoustic guitar playing some indie ballad rock.  The aroma of fresh ground coffee was strong and pleasant and the quiet conversation blended with the music to make a very comfortable location.  Stepping up to the counter, Zhu ordered a hot chocolate and turned to Giang, "what would you like?"

"If you and your roommate have a relationship like the one I have with Thaelia, I am sure each of you will have a positive influence on the other."  Giang replied as they reached the coffee shop.  "Not an uncommon result, but not a guaranteed one either."

As they entered, the Asian young woman took a brief moment to take in her surroundings.  The shop was generally similar to numerous others in the city and across the country.  Soon the pair were up at the counter to order.  "Just a chai tea, thank you."

Once the two had their drinks and had taken a seat, Giang took a sip of her tea and looked over at Zhu.  "So, other than school and related issues, how have you adjusted to being in the States?  If it is something you might be interested in, there is a large Chinese New Year celebration in the West End's Chinatown.  Usually it is uneventful."

"it's funny," Zhu said while sipping at the coco, "I have more friends here than I ever had at home... yet I still sometimes miss Shanghai.  I still get to go home a lot, but even though my mom cooks, it's not quite the same.  Things smell different... people act different and as much as I like it, I still have cravings to go home."

She tucked her legs under herself as she got more comfortable on the couch, holding the coco with two hands, "Silly isn't it?"

A couple of students got up from their chairs and waves at Zhu giving giving Giang a curious but friendly glance as they walked out of the shop.  Claremont was such a small community, but really was the best thing she could have gotten.

Edited by BlazingCoconut

Giang gave the departing Claremont students a small smile and a nod as they left before focusing her attention back on Zhu.  "Friends are one of the many things that makes a place a home."  She replied.  "I even found myself occasionally longing for the simplicity of the village in Vietnam that I had known as home for so long.  But, of course, given the circumstances that led to my coming to Claremont, those feelings were more muted and eventually passed."

"I imagine you will always look back at your memories of Shanghai with nostalgia, but with time you will come to view Freedom City with equal feelings."

Zhu nodded, sitting comfortably now on the couch sipping at her Coco.  They talked for a little while longer until both had finished their drinks.  The night was getting long and it was probably close for Zhu to get back to Claremont.  Tomorrow was going to be a busy enough day that she still wanted to review some of the material.  Besides, she had promised Rev that they could go over some math and didn't want to disappoint her friend.

"Thank you Giang..." she said with a warm smile.  "...this is been really good.  I think I needed it and it's nice to hear from someone who came from a similar place as I did.  I promise that I'll work on the things you said for me.  There's a park nearby that I can use which should offer some privacy to work on the exercises."