Praetorians: Tide of Progress

Thevshi

hmm tensions were running high it would seem, but over what remained the question, perhaps they were upset about the accidents and such? or maybe it was an underlying issue that they prefered to keep quiet.

perhapsing we should offer our services as diplomats? I fear we praetorians have fearsome reputations as oppressors of an ancient empire and fearsome warriors in this modern age, mayhaps a little bit of good deedings that don'ts involve brute force would be good for us, and allow us deeper insights into the situations here?

"please to be letting us lending you the hand, we are here to help overalls sir."

"

Edited by Exaccus

Well. That doesn't look good.

Spectra put her mask on as she mentally commented to the others. There was definitely some sort of conflict, one large enough that it didn't really look like the security on-hand was going to be able to keep things civil if things got especially out of hand

"Of course, Officer," she said, nodding politely. "We're here if you need anything." She wasn't about to jump in and do his job for him; that just seemed like a rude thing to do unsolicited.

I agree. But I want to see how this plays out first... we may not have to do anything.

Once the offer was out in the air, she focused on watching and studying the conflict as it occurred, as well as the vast underground chamber they found themselves in. The latter was more out of curiosity than anything else, allowing the pause to give her a more intimate look than their descent had.

Edited by GranspearZX

Great. A fight over rival teams in the midst of heavy machinery and volatile gases. This could only go well. 

Cavalier reached for the gas mask he'd initially rebuffed. Keeping the helmet up would provide a barrier to interaction, no matter how transparent it was. It was part of the diplomatic protocols of the Star Knights - any barrier of interaction could be seen as a sign of reservation, isolation, and distance. Of course, there were some situations where head coverings could aid in negotiations, but for the most part, it was recommended to drop the helmet and just show your face. Fully, that is.

"Yeah, we're here to help make sure stuff like this gets resolved peacefully," he said. 

GM

"I appreciate that Praetorians," Lo-rid began, "hopefully this will be nothing more than a simple miners dispute over some wager or another."  He added, although he did not sound entirely convinced that it would be something so simplistic. 

Moving over toward the crowd, the security chief called out in a voice that managed to carry over the shouting and arguing taking place between the two sides.  "Alright!  Enough of this, what is going on here?"

Several of those in the crowd turned toward the new voice, some spotting the Praetorians standing a short distance away.  The appearance of the three Praetorians, one being clearly a Star Knight seemed to resonate through much of the crowd, quieting most of the arguing and providing a momentary ease in the tension that allowed the two different security forces to create a bit of space between the two different groups of miners.

Security Chief Lo-rid moved into the newly formed space between the two groups of miners, looking from one group to the other, waiting for a response to his question.

"These Tandeer scrubs are accusing us of sabotaging one of their deep mining veins."  Replied one of the Regulas miners.  "We think they are trying to cover up that they sabotaged our recent draining operations."

These word began something of an uproar among the Tandeer miners, who were shouting counter accusations back, which of course led to more Regulas miners yelling once more.  For a moment the two groups started to push toward each other once more, but security personnel from each corporation managed to keep things from getting to close as Lo-rid again shouted out above the din and got things quieted once more.

"Look, I do not know what happened with your operations," he said, looking over at the Tandeer miners, "but we had some incidents within the last two weeks.  That is why we requested assistance from the Praetorians, who are here to investigate."  Lo-rid gestured over towards the three Praetorians as he spoke.

"Hellos!" moon-moth said with a cheery wave, mask still hanging around his neck pointlessly "I am moon-moth, here to helpings in this matter with my frendsies." Gesturing to Cavalier and Spectra "We are here to discover what is causing these whoopsidents to occurings." his galstandard as shoddy as ever.

"If someone is behind this than restings be assured that we finding them and they facing justice for their criminals offendings at your planetary justice systems, we asks for patience in this matters, would be most unfairs for innocent parties to face persecutions before all the factual informants is gathered and due process taking its course."

"We understand your concerns," said Cavalier, feeling himself sliding a bit too fast into slick and boilerplate. That wouldn't work; these guys were probably used to company suits the way they were used to silica in their undergarments. He relaxed his demeanor, relying on instincts from his troubleshooter days. "Truth is, you guys aren't the only ones who've been experiencing accidents and malfunctions lately. We're here to see whether this is deliberately targeted or whether there's some sort of phenomena --"

Just say "phenomena." It's better than saying "magnetic storm" or "big angry lava monster."

"-- that may be responsible for these setbacks. And if some bastard's responsible, we'll find that out, too, so for now... well, things are tense enough as is. Maybe let it bleed off a little." 

GM

The appearance of the two Praetorians, one of whom was clearly a Stark Knight, seemed to help diminish the immediate tensions among the two groups.  While there was certainly still some hostility between the two groups, they did not seem as keen on letting it show.  As few even nodded in agreement and turned to leave their particular group to go back about their business.

The security chief seized upon the change in mood the Praetorians has managed to influence.  "You hear them, whatever is going on, they will find out what it is.  Now I believe there are still other digging zones that are in need of your attention," he stated, focusing on the Regulas miners.  While there was still a bit of grumbling, more and more of the miners began to turn away and start off toward other sections of the massive chamber.  The Tandeer security personnel made similar statement to their mining personnel, and soon Officer Lo-Rid and the three Praetorians were the only ones left where the confrontation had been taking place.

"Thank you for the assistance Praetorians."  The security chief stated.  "While there typically is some level of hostility among the miners, it is rare that it causes more than a few arguments or the occasionally brawl at a cantina.  But these incidents have a lot of people on edge."

• 2 weeks later...

"it is understandable, regrettables as it is, when ones life and lively hood is threatened it is very easy to give into panic and paranoias." he said softly as he cleaned some soot from his fur with a few dexterous brushes from his antennas, a futile but reactive gesture to getting dirty and sooty.

"We's gladdening to be assistance in any matters of course." he says with a polite tilt of his head "We is here to serve and protecc after all, in any way we might be called upons to do so."

• 2 weeks later...

Always glad to keep it from getting worse. And really glad that I didn't make it worse. 

"We understand," said Cavalier. "If my day's wages - hell, my job - was threatened because of some sort of scourge, I'd be ready to just go wild and start a fight, too." He looked around, trying to figure out if there might be some better way to phrase this. When he couldn't really grasp one, he decided to plunge on ahead. 

"Has there been anyone among the workers who's really riding the wave of the discontent? Anyone who's keen to have it come to blows real quick?"

Doesn't matter if they're a cop or the agent of some sort of eldritch, terrible superintelligence - eight times out of ten, the instigator is a narc. 

• 3 weeks later...

GM

With the situation between the two groups of minors dealt with for the moment and the crowd mostly dispersed, Security Chief Lo-Rid began to lead the three Praetorians across the massive underground chamber they were in and towards one of the walls along the side.  As they went he responded to Cavalier's questions.

"No, I cannot really think of anyone that seems to have been acting particularly out of character since these incidents have begun to occur.  I mean, everyone has been on edge, but it has generally been what you expect given the situation.  But I cannot think of anyone that seems particular keen on taking advantage of the situation."  He replied. 

The walk took some time, given how wide the chamber was, and they passed by several more groups of miners and a number of enormous mining machines.  Despite the tensions that were present, there still seemed to be a great deal of work that was being down in other parts of the mining operations. 

Eventually the group made their way into a wide cavern that led out of the massive chamber they had first arrived in.  The air started to get heavier with soot and smoke, making the Praetorians grateful for the breath mask they had accepted.  After travelling some distance down the cavern, passing a number of smaller passages along the way, the group came to a large mining machine that was set off to one side of the cavern.

"This is the draining machine that was damaged most recently."  The security chief stated.  "It was pulled back up here after the incident.  The actual chamber it was damaged in is quite a further distance down."