Synapse - sirgrail - PL10

Here's my character. I hope it meets with approval. :)

Players Name: sirgrail

Power Level: 10

Characters Name: Jonathan Winston III

Alternate Identity: Synapse

Height: 5' 10"

Weight: 143 lbs.

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Hazel

Description: Jonathan cuts a distinguished figure. His short brown hair is always

immaculately groomed, his face clean-shaven, and he is usually dressed in a high-

quality tailored suit. He is a charming gentleman to nearly everyone he meets. But

he is still always polite to even those who have raised his ire.

History: Jonathan Winston III was born priviledged. His grandfather, Jonathan Winston I,

made his fortune as a land developer in New York and Massachusetts. His father,

Jonathan Winston II, increased the family fortune by being a successful investor. So,

by the time Jonathan was born, the Winstons were an established family in the upper crust

of New England society.

Educated in private schools among the sons and daughters of America's wealthiest families,

Jonathan did grow up a bit snobbish but witha good heart. His parents made sure that he

always felt loved and a part of the family, even when he was far from home. That changed

when Jonathan was 16. He and his family were in Freedom City to attend a gala event when

the Terminus Invasion happened.

As the heroes fought Omega and his troops, a squad of Psiythe shock troops attacked the

museum where Jonathan and his parents were. The soldiers mental blasts swiftly

incapacitated the party-goers, enabling them to easily kill the unconscious people.

Everyone there would have died had it not been for several heroes intervening. Jonathan

survived, but his parents did not. But the experience had another outcome. It activated

Jonathan's latent mental abilities. In one moment, Jonathan had gained incredible power

but became an orphan as well.

In the wake of the Terminus Invasion, Jonathan learned some hard lessons: that death

comes to the rich and the poor alike; that our place in the world is not guaranteed; and

that the weak sometimes need the protection of the strong. This was a strong wake-up call

for him and humbled him in many ways. He spent the next few years getting his new

abilities under control and then attending Harvard before finally coming back to

Freedom City to stay.

Over the past few years, Jonathan has made a name for himself as a philanthropist and a

shrewd developer. And coincidentally, a new hero has hit the streets.

Stats: [18 pp]

Str: 10 (+0)

Dex: 12 (+1)

Con: 10 (+0)

Int: 14 (+2)

Wis: 20 (+5)

Cha: 12 (+1)

Combat: [40 pp]

Attack: +10

Defense: +10

Initiative: +1

Grapple:

Saves: [10 pp]

Toughness: +0/+10*

Fortitude: +2 [2 pp]

Reflex: +4 [3 pp]

Will: +10/+15** [5 pp]

* = with Force Field

** = Mind Shield

Skills: [12 pp]

Concentration 12 (+17)

Diplomacy 12 (+13)

Knowledge (Business) 8 (+10)

Notice 8 (+13)

Sense Motive 8 (+13)

Feats: [8 pp]

Benefit (Wealth) 5

Connected

Ultimate Save (Will)

Uncanny Dodge (Mental)

Powers: [62 pp]

Telepathy 10 [20 pp]

- Communication (Mental) 10 [free]

- Mind Reading 10 [free]

- Mental Blast 5 [1 pp]

- Mind Control 10 [1 pp]

Comprehend (Understand) 1 [2 pp]

Mind Shield 5 [5 pp]

Telekinesis 10 [20 pp]

- Blast 10 [1 pp]

- Flight 4 (Extras: Affects Others, Area; PF: Selective) [1 pp]

Force Field 10 [10 pp]

Super Senses (Mental Awareness) 1 [1 pp]

Drawbacks:

DC Block:

ATTACKS:-------------- SAVE DC:---------- DAMAGE TYPE:

(Name of Attack) ------ (Save DC/Type) ---- (Type of Damage: Bruise/Injury, or other)

Blast 10 --------------- 25/Toughness ------ Bruise (Staged)

Mental Blast 5 --------- 20/Will ------------- Bruise (Staged)

Costs: Abilities (18) + Combat (40) + Saves (10) + Skills (12) + Feats (08)

+ Powers (62) - Drawbacks (00) = 150

Your character looks pretty good. There's two things I wanted to clarify.

1) I'm assuming that the Comprehend is to understand any spoken language. It would also work with the Mind Reading, but not written words. Is that correct?

2) The Contagious Flight doesn't work as written. Flight is a personal power, and Contagious only affects Touch range or better powers. I think you want "Flight (Extras: Affects Others, Area; PF: Selective)" which could have a maximum rank of 4. I wouldn't allow Contagious on a positive effect, since that's too easy a way to boost your allies.

Everything else looks good, and I also have a suggestion for you which I will PM.

Thanks for the feedback!

1) I put in Comprehend as per the suggestion in the manual under Telepathy: "To allow anyone to understand your projected thoughts, regardless of language, add a rank of Comprehend." So, it would not work with written words and is really only there so that I can make others understand my mental communications.

2) Indeed, that looks like what I'm looking for. I figured he's using his Telekinesis to move himself around and it would be useful if he could also use it to transport others (as his regular strength sucks). Thanks. I'll put that in right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...