Mute Storytellers

Curious Key

Sanna was to be enrolled in Claremont, of course, but it was too late to start. Ultimately, inserting her into December classes would disrupt too much for too little gain. It would have to wait until January. She could live in the dorms and wait.

Not that the short reprieve was not appreciated, but all the same, there wasn't much to do. The first few days were well spent, as Sanna became acquainted with her room, shook hands with the knob, asked the window what it had seen, admired the wall's secrecy, but it wasn't long before her room had revealed all its secrets. Eventually, she decided that she wanted to meet some books. The Antiquarian had kept his books almost as securely locked up as his creatures and Sanna had never gotten a chance to touch his books, nevermind talk to them.

Their library seemed nice enough, though Sanna didn't really have context to understand exactly HOW good it was. She couldn't ready any of the human letting on their spines, so Sanna simply picked one at random and sat down. She fell easily into a chair, letting two hands fall, relaxed on the arm of the chair while she held the book up with the other two. Hello, friend. I have heard that you are a book. Is that true?

She closed the book and stared at the cover. What do you mean? You can tell me.

Her expression turned stricken. She let her hand rest affectionately on the book and shook her head. That's terrible!

Edited by Curious Key

Cheri would find herself stuck in the library as well, she had a rather hefty box of cards in front of her, as well as the slim catalog her mother had handed her before even coming to Claremont. It was a book of the animal kingdom, and supposed to be a present given to help her develop further. Of course, knowing her family it was more likely a token gift her father had given her mother to hand off to Cheri, but the use of it couldn't be questioned. Cheri wasn't entirely certain just what the upper limit on her abilities was, but she could assume what she called totems of any animal she could think of. The book gave some pretty basic ideas, but these little statistic cards would serve even better, giving Cheri a glimpse at the scientific name, a picture, and general description of a massive amount of different sorts of creatures. Seeing each one, she would focus, trying to take on their traits for a moment. She'd worn her 'hero' outfit, a simple black crop top and skirt designed to allow her changing body enough space to develop without needing to fuss too much. IT still required some adjustment right about each time, though, and it was getting a bit exhausting to be going through so many different forms so quickly. Cheri's breath would go a bit ragged as she'd shift into an ape totem,sighing, as she hit her head into the desk. "I'll never remember all these..."

Sanna stared uneasily at the book for a long moment. "I'm sorry, I cannot read."

Her eyes narrowed. "here is no need to be so mean about it. Can't you tell me your story?"

"What do you mean 'you don't know it?" The expression on her face was closer to bafflement than outrage. She closed the book ,let it rest on the table and ran her hand down her horns. The library books were no less eager to tell their stories than any other. It was their duty to hold knowledge and pass it on, but the books she had met seemed utterly uninterested, or perhaps simply unable to understand their own contents. She wondered if magic books would be the same?

Perhaps. 

Either way, she was hardly looking forward to continuing her conversation with this book. Sanna was considering whether to pick another when her eyes snagged on a newcomer. She was a humanoid creature. Some manner of shapeshifting entity. There had been many shapeshifters in the Netherworlds, always choosing to adapt new forms to better fit their environment, but Sanna's third eye could discern no magic in her art. 

The girl stood neatly up, leaving the book behind and walking toward the stranger, hunched over her own book. Sanna let a hand rest easily on the girl's shoulder. "What are you?"

Edited by Curious Key

Cheri's eyes would suddenly widen, as she whirled around at the arm, her features wildly changing as she completely transformed, as he heart raced. She had been so involved in 'studying' that she'd completely phased out anyone around her. Rabbit features flowed from her after a few seconds, and Cheri stared, breath panting as she found herself looking at a chest, and slowly raising her chin to follow up to a face. A girl... it was just a girl... a really huge.... enormous... impossibly tall... girl. It was something even more though, as the girl had something of a bizarre totally inhuman aspect to her. For a moment, Cheri felt herself compelled towards some sort of modern demon representation comparisons... but she instead just smiled as she stared at the girl. She'd expected to seem some more bizarre types, given her own state.. Those eyes, though. Cheri would find herself calming a bit, as she processed the question, answering as she stuffed her initial fright away and kept it as far from her voice as she was able, managing to sound somewhat jovial, as she closed her eyes and let out a wild smile.

"Nobody really knows~ I barely get it myself. My name is Cheri Ash, though, so I at least know that part."

Edited by Bestia