London Calling

"well sirs i dunno exactly how much i can tell you, because im not knowing all that much to be honest, but suffice to say, i am from Liverpool, just perhaps from Liverpool,a hundred an' fifty years or more hence...possibly a different timelines version of Liverpool...there are....confusing things to consider if time travel is involved after all." he mumbles to himself as he ponders on the matter briefly.

"Needless to say its best i be careful about what i do whilst im here and now." he summarizes as he examines the two men "though that is a matter for the universe to reckon with i suppose....but anyway, please do tell me more about this sorcerer whom i have unwittingly enabled with my tumble through the aether."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

"On this matter, I am more certain" said Mr Fiddler, frowning deeply. "Mr pupil, Mr Murke, has the eldritch sight, but I know the man in question" he sighed. 

"He is Professor Randolf Armitage. A physician of fame, power, wealth and influence. He is also a genius. You will appreciate that these qualities alone would make him a dangerous man"

He paused, stewing on his reflections. "But thanks to Mr. Murke, we are also aware he is a sorcerer. A man able to summon creatures from beyond. Now without considerable effort, it seems. For the most part, his arcane endeavours are nefarious and worrisome. But if there is enough energy - of whatever sort, we are of the opinion that his power is magnified to terrifying proportions. And you, sir, just fell out of hole in time...."

A dire situation indeed, Magic was tricky, he had been told that his powers were based on and indeed strongest when the laws of physics applied, magic had an annoying way of bypassing those fundamental parts of the universe and overcoming his formidable defenses, however slightly it might've been, an extremely powerful sorcerer was therefor quite worrysome.

"I see, That is Troublesome....do we have any ideas as to where, when, how and why he is going to capitalize on these energies that are now available to him?" he asked "and how we might best move to stop him from working his wickedness? I you gentlemen have the benefit of knowledge about this fiend so it would perhaps be best that you take the lead in drawing up our plans of attack." a sound reasoning to be sure, he knew about magic of course but only enough to keep his vulnerability to it in check.

"As i have mentioned before, I am Slightly less invulnerable to magics effects when used upon me physically, mentally i am merely human."

GM

On this matter, Mr. Fiddle deferred to Mr. Murke. 

"I am able to see magic, Mr. Walker" he said, a voice deep and calm. "Not quite as you see things, of course. As you may have noticed, I am quite blind. I have no real concept of how you see" he explained, quite boldly. Mr. Fiddle gave a slightly wan smile as his pupil spoke. 

"But the arcane, I can see. So I will be more than able to locate the workings of doctor Armitage. However, I am not the most...ah...mobile of sorts. In addition to my blindness I am uncomfortable in sunlight. A skin condition, you see" he added. 

"Mr. Murke is a man of mixed blessings" sighed Mr. Fiddle. "As for me, I can easily locate the man himself. Armitage. He works in Harley Street and no doubt will have some engagement or another tonight. I can soon enough find out. I am a man of society, after all"

"No, that will not be the problem. The problem is what our doctor friend is up to, which Mr. Murke might aide with, and what do we do? He has committed no crime, at least, not one we know of. And frankly I shudder at facing what he might pull from the hole you left in the sky. A vexatious conundrum, you see. Once he commits an act of sorcery powerful enough to convict him, he will have all the power he needs to resist arrest!"

"how can a man with so much want more still?" he asked in disgusted disbelief as he was brought up to speed on the capabilities and resources of their would be enemy as he nursed his flowerpot of tea "when the streets are filled with people who have naught no less..." the idea baffled him, though he'd never had anymore or less than enough he'd never desired more.

"The idea of the man using his "hole in time." to Icefish for monsters was comical in theory but terrifyingly real at the same time, he'd little understanding of magic, were it not for Dee he would be at the mercy of such a monsters esoteric powers completely,; He'd come to trust the vanguard almost completely, they'd thrown off the shackles of the governments direct control in favour of agreed upon terms of agency before they'd recruited him,

"And i figure Sirs, that is where i come in, Swinging no less" he says "I believe myself a match for any manifested monstrosity he can call upon. even with such mystic leverage at his command i remain The Invincible Dreadnought!

in truth it was part of the reason he'd chosen to wear a helmet, initially he'd believed it might offer some protection from psychic interferance though he'd later been informed it did not but he found wearing it gave him a confidence and conviction, that he would become the mighty metahuman instead of being Joe Walker who was afraid of enclosed spaces and dark places, it had become his war mask

GM

"Hence" said Mr. Fiddle, with a trace of satisfaction, "our theory that you were both the cause of, and solution to, this lamentable event"

Mr Murke gave a warm smile at this. "The Dreadnought, is it? I can see great things for you" he said, softly, with encouragement. "Ah, do not ask for your fortune to be read though, that is the realm of charlatans and hoodwinks. I see the future, but it is a complicated quilt of cobwebs. I could not explain it you other than in the most obscure of terms. And even if I could, I would be a fool to do so" he said. 

"But take heart at the future. From darkness comes hope" he said, cryptically, his white milk eyes staring right at Dreadnought although unseeing. 

Mr Fiddle interjected. "But now, we must decide what to do. Wait for the Summoner to move, and deal with the consequences, or take proactive action, a more nefarious and dark road..."

"Aye, I don't need to know my future sir, Im Set on making it for myself." he says "Thank ye kindly all the same Mr Murke." he adds softly before he turns his mind to the task ahead of them, though he was of little academic learnings he was no less cunning than a fox and with the various shakeups his arrival had caused he might yet turn things to his advantage.

"Perhaps sir we might be proactive but cunning, as you have mentioned I will draw the curiosity of the intelligence services, perhaps is i am around The Doctor and he becomes aware of them through his sorceries he might panic given his enemies are roosting in his rafters and tip his hand early and in a way that doesn't afford him the complete advantages he'd have if we allow him to dictate the terms of engagement to us....and in helping subdue whatever monster he calls upon i might yet see myself exhonerated of any misgivings and allowed to quietly vanish when the matter is settled." he offers solmenly after a long thought.

"I feel that intelligent and cautious as he must be, being so close to his latest desires he might forego his better judgement than risk denial." he summizes "though i don't know the man as well as you gentlemen do."

GM

"That it indeed an astute plan" agreed Mr. Fiddler, who gave a glance at Mr. Murke. The Blind man considered but a moment and gave a warm nod and smile. 

"A dangerous one, perhaps, but astute nonetheless" continued Mr. Fiddler, mulling it over. "The intelligence services of her Majesties government are usually intelligent, but not always so. They deal with chaos, and chaos follows them. The nature of their game, I suppose. It adds an unstable element to the board, but then I suppose that is the point" he said, tapping his cane again. 

"Doctor Armitage is a man of rare self possession and control, it is true. Charming, cunning, elegant. It would take much to rattle him, but we must try. Now, the issue at hand is you, my friend. You are positively gargantuan. Not easy to sneak around, but again, maybe that is the point..."

He snapped his fingers. 

"Aha! Mayhap we have an opportunity. Tonight there is a firework display in Kew Gardens, celebrating the successful return of Lord Rhodes from his African expedition, and his incumbent marriage to Miss Anna Longfield. I believe there might be room for you in the outdoors. Standing room only, though huh huh..." he gave a little chuckle. Few chairs would stand the weight. 

"And I do believe Doctor Armitage has always had a soft spot for Miss Longfield and will be attending. Mayhap he might try to thwart the marriage?"

"Sounds like a plan, Sir." he says with a soft chuckle in return "so many factors from so many different directions would surely strain even the coldest and hardest heart to impromptu action." he summerizes "And it will make his defeat total." he adds hopefully "Much will be at risk as you say though, we will need to move decisively once the time arises." he ponders "I will immediately engage with whatever foul being he calls upon and attempt to force the fight away from the crowd to afford time and opportunity to escape for the public...it would perhaps be best to leave Armitage alone until his monster is subdued so it remains in his thrall and subject to his commands instead of slinking away to some quiet corner or another.  he continues to play out the battle in his head "though he may attempt to do the same once the tide begins to turn and we must be ready to fall upon him before he can regroup and leverage his other advantages to escape."

It wasn't going to be easy, that much was certain, simply beating his dark servant into submission was going to prove difficult and in the long run, was no solution to the actual problem of the sorcerous mastermind behind it.

"May Fortune favor the bold." he summarizes ultimately "and Valour Triumph over Evil."

GM

"So be it!" declared Mr. Fiddle. "Now we have..." he consulted his pocket watch "...a few hours until sundown, even at this time of year. And the bonfire will not start till 6.00pm at least. I suggest we set off at sundown, on account of Mr. Murke's sensitivites" he said gravely. 

"Until then we must consider two things. Firstly, how to reach Kew. It is a distance, I am afraid. I have money to buy what we need, but I worry that a regular carriage will not manage your weight, and I would not inflict a horse to carry you..." he said, pondering the matter. "And Mr. Murke here will need guidance, of course. We do not want him walking into a bonfire"

"And how inconginto are we going? More to the point, on this matter we must also consider our attire? In what capacity shall we go?" he studied Dreadnought once more. "I am afraid I cannot conjecture how to disguise you! And perhaps we should not!"

"Indeed, I am going to challenge the man to battle, though i will be facing his "Second" i persume." he figures "He Must be aware of that not only to pressure him but so that i am seen as the biggest threat and thus his largest priority." he hums to himself as he turns his mind the problem facing them with the transportation, his great girth once again making mischief for him.

"I would say, go as guests celebrating the lords return and imminent wedding so that you may help guide him and his bride to be away from the chaos and possibly convince his adventurous soul that discretion is the better part of valour...he may also prove to be a powerful ally when it comes to prosecuting the fiend if brought into the loop after the fact to contend with the doctors own connections and resources."

"Haha perhaps if the horse was from Diomedes Stable?" he jokes "but that is to say the least, unlikely....mayhaps i can begin to walk now and meet you gentlemen there at the appointed time; i have proven inexhaustible and it will perhaps give the intelligence agency a clearer trail of breadcrumbs to follow if i am moving openly, publically and alone as well as keep your goodselves from coming under scrutiny."

GM

And so, as the sun set...

'Twas still chilly, yet more so now with the sun dancing red on the horizon. The roads had patches of dirty ice that might slip the unwary. 

Fortunately, the streets of London had not changed much in a hundred or more years, true, buildings had to much degree, but the basic web of roads was essentially the same. And besides which, as Dreadnought trudged through the streets he acquired a crowd in his wake. 

"Its the giant from Liverpool!"

"Nonsense, Lad, he's a Norwegian troll! That's what I heard!"

"Must be a welshman! Must be!"

And so on and so forth, wild speculation jumped around him, until, halfway to his destination, a bold old man, rotund of belly, with an enormous beard covering enormous ruddy jowels, stood firm in front of him. 

"Now then Sir! I am Mister Charles Hood. Editor of the London Oracle. And I do so humbly request, with great urgency and pleadings and so forth, that you do declare for the people of London, via our noble newspaper, that you grace us with your story. And, if I may be impudent, your intentions, sir!"

"I would be happy ta answer ye questions, Sir but im in a triffle hurry at the moment." he says "off ta see the conquerin' 'ero's return at kew." he says innocently as possible "though such a newspaper as yers would be at such an event and we talk more there iffin ya so desire sir." he offers, continuing his steady pace "An' im from liverpool." he adds, firmly "Born an'' raised. come to see the seat o' the empire an' t' good people o' london.." maybe such would be enough to satisfy the mans curiosity...or just whet his appetite, 

"I'd tell ya where to meet me, but i feel like i stand out enuff to be spotted wit ease." giving a soft nod of his head "gotta long way to walk now, hope to see ya there."

Edited by Exaccus

GM

Mr. Hood stood his ground, as the crowds thickened and circled. 

"Ah yes, Lord Rhodes! Quite a gentleman! And marrying my young niece, too!" he explained, A flash of distaste in his manner. Esteemed as Lord Rhodes was, a thirty year age gap was somewhat unpalatable even for Mr. Hood. 

"I happen to be on my way to the display myself, by...ah...carriage. I would offer you seat, but....ah...." he looked up at the towering man beside him. 

"Now what, sir, shall I print tomorrow? Your name? How long do you intend to stay in London, and return to....Liverpool was it?" he asked, a slight speckling of suspicion in his voice. After all, Mr. Hood was a most well informed man!

"I must instruct the printers, you see! You are quite the story, and we want to do a good piece on you sir! This is your chance for fame!"

"Oh forgive me sir, It had completely slipped my mind, My name is Joseph, Joseph walker, It happen'd to be most fortuitous sir that the celebration coincided with my visit and i have always wanted to do a little sight seeing, I will likely not be in the capital any longer than that, for i am needed back home." he explains as he comes to a momentary stop, unwilling to be forceful or rude to the man who had so far been cordial if a little pushy.

"I must say i admire your fire governor, i understand i am somewhat intimidating to approach, it is nice to see that there are folks who do not let such things stop them from talkin ta me."

"i appreciate the thought sir! but i am content to walk anyway, I have always done so as necessitated by my uncommon stature."  he says with a smile and a nod of his head  "I fear i will be late if i delay any longer, but as i said, i shall be more than happy to answer any more of your questions at the celebrations sir. but i fear i must keep walking or else i shall be late, if you'll be so kind as to excuse for now, i mustn't be late to meet with Doctor Armitage."

GM

And so, once the sun had set, at Kew Gardens...

The crowd had hardly lessened in volume, although its constituents had changed many times over. How the word had spread of Joe Walker, from Norway, or Liverpool, or both depending on the permutation of gossip and slander! Verily, it seemed that the entire population of London clamoured for a glimpse of the walking giant!

Such speedy transit of fame meant that by the time Dreadnought walked into Kew Gardens (a rather long walk, must be said), he was greeted by none other than the curator of the Gardens. 

"Sir Arthur Henfeather, at your service!" he bowed graciously. Mr Henfeather, with two armed policemen at either side, was a man of short stature and elderly years, who had an extremely big nose and wild grey hair. He seemed an affable man, not too taken with his noble title but not ill disposed towards such status either. For he wore some very ostentatious clothes, golds, silvers, reds, all indicating his official status. 

"Welcome to Kew Gardens, sir! I am afraid it is shut for private celebrations, but I believe that you intend to..ah...avail yourself of the opportunity to see our splendid grounds and fireworks in any case?"

The two policemen shuffled. Armed or not, they had clearly made it quite clear they did not fancy wrestling a man twice their height should Sir Henfeather decide on barring Dreadnought. 

"oh i was not aware the grounds were closed sir, I was invited to attend by a Mr Ebeneezer Fiddler? he was to meet me here with a mr Murk" he mentions unthreatend by the antiques being waved around him "he was to arrive by carridge and meet me here, have i arrived before him?" he asked curiously.

"I daresay someone has been spreading rumors and heresay about me on my approach given the....reception i am being given." he says eyeing the officers curiously "Believe me though sirs, i have no intention of making trouble or trespassing and am happy to wait until the matter has cleared up."

god london was always this touchy?

"In the meanwhile i'd be happy to learn more about yer park iffin you;'ve the time and inclination to shoot the breeze with me."

GM

"Mr Ebeneezer Fiddle? Why I know the fellow well, Sir! Finest Legal mind in London, nay the Empire, I would hazard. Cant say I have heard of Mr. Murke, however. Sounds a most shady fellow. Haha haha..." he laughed with half mirth. 

"But of course you are welcome, sir! There is plenty of space in Kew Gardens. I dare say that the greenhouses themselves would not accomodate a  man of your exceptional stature, and lamentably this is not the time of year for blooming flora, as I am sure you can appreciate. Nevertheless, I have always found the ice and frost lends a certain festive beauty to the grounds, come, let me show you!"

And he was not wrong, for Kew, whilst shed of leaves and green, still had a cold beauty to it, as Mr. Henfeather pointed out, pointing his finger this way, then that, and giving the Latin name for nearly every visible variety of plant, tree, or shrub. 

And in the distance, a crowd was huddled around a blazing bonfire of considerable proportions, for light and warmth and general good cheer. 

"Care you, sir, to join the party? I think Miss Anna Long Longfield is there already. No doubt circled by her uncle, Mister Charles Hood. Oh what odious slander that man writes! Quite how the charming Miss Longfield could be related to such an oaf I have no idea!"

Dreadnought listens intently as he followed behind Mr Henfeather and enjoyed his tour of the facilities of the park in what must've been its hayday and the various names of the plants that endured the winter chill, he felt a strange kind of kinship it had to be said with the oldest and sturdiest of trees, planted centuries ago and watching as the world raced by them in solemn silence.

"I thank ye for your time Mr. henfeather." he sad as his gazed fixed upon the bonfire before him and the shadows of the people silhouetted against it cast over the grounds as the flames licked and flickered at the sky. "And t' great deal of the parks history and composition ya have shared with me this evening, but aye sadly i must be getting on, t'would be awful rude of me to leave Mr FIddler waiting., though i should like to learn more of this place when i have more time, till then sir, i bid ye farewell." and having made his goodbyes began his steady walk towards the bonfire, stopping occasionally to examine what plants had been pointed out to him and named by whom he assumed must be the grounds keeper as he went.

GM

The bonfire was ablaze, and it was only minutes (surely) until the arrival of Lord Rhodes. And soon, thereafter, the prospect of a dazzling display of fireworks. 

The normal mumble of rumour and shock buzzed around Dreadnought as he stomped onward. The Norwegian diplomat found himself fending of mad questions for the rest of the evening. 

Mr Fiddle was there, the tall man guiding Mr. Murke by the arm. 

"I cannot see the fire, but I can feel its warmth on my face" he said, smiling happily, his eyes still gazing blind and Mr Fiddle elbowed through the crowd with his pupil and greeted Dreadnought. 

"Well we are here" said the lawyer, scanning the crowd. "And you made a suitable entrance. Ye gods, I could feel that stomp through the very ground. How much to do you weigh?" he asked, a little impertinently. 

"I can see no sign of the intelligence services. But I suppose that is the point. They are invisible" he sighed. He pointed at a young woman, perhaps twenty five. Pretty, but not noteworthy in that regard, A little short, a little slim, with red curly hair and a sad smile. "And that is Miss Anna Longfield, clearly delighted at the prospect of seeing her husband of thirty years seniority and oafish manner" he said, contemptuously. "You will also note Mister Charles Hood, her uncle, scuttling around her. A noble gesture from an ignoble man. A newspaper editor, so I hear" he said, a touch of scorn in his voice. 

"I weigh a great deal, aomewhere in the tons i believe." he answered actually unsure of how much he weighed due to the lack of equipment able to withstand so much localized pressure outside of cattle scales at markets.

"Aye, I met the man on route, eager to ask questions of me as everyone was, i tried to keep my story straight." he mentioned upon having the familiar form of Charles Hood pointed out to him as he buzzed about his young niece.

"Is there naught we might do, to spare the lady from becoming a trophy stuck in a loveless arrangement? it is after all, one of fates must admirable traits that it twists....i fear i am too detached from the times to think of anything myself, but that is where you my friends might make up for my shortcoming." he mumbles

"On that matter, has doctor armitage shown his face yet? i should like to introduce myself as i make my rounds."

GM

"He has indeed" replied Mr. Fiddle, pointing out the doctor. 

Doctor Randolf Armitage was well dressed, in tweed, with elegantly cut grey hair and trimmed beard. He had deep set, intelligent and dark eyes, with a long and pointed avian nose. He was of average height but of thin build. He was perhaps fifty, with a mixture of wisdom and energy. Somehow, he was not intimidating but exuded a powerful magnetism around him; people consulted with him, hung on his words although in truth he spoke very little. He was clearly admired and respected but without any brash self-advertising or boast. Just a man of great self assuredness. 

"The devil himself. Or at least his henchman. I confess I think it a herculean task to rattle the man" admitted Mr. Fiddle. "And God only knows what he is scheming. He is quite impenetrable curse him..." he added, tapping his cane once more. 

"As for the Good Miss Longfield, I have no doubt that she has no desire for her fiance. But her mother does insist, apparently. Good for the family. Status. Money, and so on. I have never married myself. I...ah...well, I have tastes that do not run well for me. I do hope the future is more enlightened..." he said, giving a studious look at Dreadnought hopping for some indication on the matter. 

"its a long road, but aye, the future is bright and more open minded, save a few whom fear change." he answes solemnly "And they are largely looked down upon for their antediluvian views." he adds, a small iota of pride in his chest "2013 marriage becomes legal in our united kingdom." he adds softly "earlier still in other places, but now sirs i bid you a good evening, gods speed and great luck." as he begins to walk over towards the young expectant bride and her buzzing uncle with no attempts to quiet or deaden his approach, letting the ground rumble all the more as he strode across it, every bit the giant he was but no lumbering brute, his back straight and his arms loosely at his side, regal and composed..

"Aah, Mr Charles, its good to see you again sir, i believe i owe you something of an interview...but first ye must introduce me to this fine lady, your niece i presume?" he says "every bit as beautiful and petite as you had described sir." he adds with a polite bow to the young lady in question "tis indeed a great pleasure to make your acquaintance milady."

GM

Ms Anna Longfield stood mouth agape. Of course, she had seen the Norwegian troll / Liverpudlian Giant from afar, but now he was up close the impact of his size hit home. 

"....ah....you are big..." she croaked. 

"It will be my delight to introduce my niece, Ms Anna Longfield, soon to be betrothed" said Mr. Charles Hood, muttering the discontent in his voice. 

"It's a pleasure, Mr. Walker. All of London is talking about you" said Ms. Longfield, recovering swiftly. She was bold enough to offer her hand, but still looked scared it might be crushed. 

"Yes yes, I am afraid she is taken, Mr. Walker. Soon to marry, lamentably" hissed Mr. Walker. "Damnedest thing. I sometimes think this country is stuck in the Medieval age, sir. What say you?" pressed Mr. Walker. "Is there hope for progress in the future, do you think?" he asked, enthusiastically. "When one is judged on merit and not class?"

gently bending his knee he takes her delicate hand on the bridge of his tick fingers and presses his lips to the back of her palm, barely brushing against it like the wings of a butterfly "All good I hope, Milady" he answers before rising back to his feet to turn his attention back to her uncle.

"Aye sir, i believe in the inherent goodness of all mankind and that it is our nature to change and grow and whilst it may take many long years we will find universal brotherhood amongst all peoples." he says softly "Tis the duty of them who can to do for them who can not do for themselves." he recites from the top of his mind "Or at least I've been taught to believe."

"I am also a firm believer in liberty and equality as well as brotherhood as well as love." he says removing his helmet to reveal his face by twisting it loose of its moorings "Platonic or romantic, it should triumph over all obstacles, no walls of stone or bars of steel can quiet the beating of the heart."

"though i understand such things are rarely simple in today's world, if you should ever need legal advice i would never so much as hesitate to recommend my good friend Ebeneezer fiddler." he says "he too holds such things in high importance." Perhaps not a very subtle hint but one he felt all the better for giving to the young Miss Longfield.

"rather than be made slave to a system that knows nothing of love and compassion, only numbers, Esteem and wealth."