Wesley Knight (PL14 NPC , Tier 2)

Power Level: 14 (205/207PP)

Trade-Offs: -2 Defense / +2 Toughness

Unspent PP: 2

Gold Status: 57/90

New Hotness

Alternate Identities: Wesley Knight (birth name)

Identity: Semi-Secret. Most do not know Knight is Wesley Knight.

Birthplace: Tunnel Hill, Alabama

Affiliations: Knights of Freedom

Family: Marlon Knight (father, deceased), Marie Knight (mother, deceased)

Apparent Age: early twenties

Ethnicity: African-American

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 190 lbs.

Eyes: green

Hair: black

Description: He is a nice looking guy. His features are not too round or sharp. He's fit and athletic. His muscles are not bulging, but they are defined. His hair is done up in thick, well-manicured dreadlocks. They are long enough to reach his shoulder blades. His eyes are an unnaturally bright green. This is due to the mutation. On his chin he keeps a short cropped goatee. His skin a dark brown tone. His arms, neck, back and upper chest have various tattoos he has collected over the years. He almost always seen wearing an a-shirt, loose fit cargo jeans and sneakers.

Power Descriptions: He uses his biokinetic energy to protect himself from blows and sicknesses and to help him heal faster (Enhanced Constitution). He also uses it to find life energy on any living thing with his brain. There is a side effect on this that makes his eyes glow even though it is not part of his sight (Super-Senses). He can also use the life energy of others to copy parts of them. Though sometimes the life energies of others take him over (Mimic). His piece de resistance though is his mastery over life energy. It lets him control living things systems directly or indirectly, even turn them into other living things! He and the affected some times glow different color aura depending on what is done (Life Control).

History: Wesley grew up in a small southern town. His life was not easy. His was the only black family in the town, and the residents did not take kindly to his skin color. In an unrelated incident his parents died in a car accident. This lead Wesley to one act of pure rage that he had been bottling up for years, crippling someone. That put him in prison. When he finally came back they were waiting for him! They tried to lynch him! But his mutant powers kicked in and made the lynchers die. He decided to get out of the town and go to Freedom City. No one would know him there. Heck he could even go by his last name for an alias and no one would care.

Personality & Motivation: Wesley is a down-to-earth type. He's polite and respectful of others and is an amicable guy despite having a rough life. He never seems down about anything. He is an all around nice guy with genteel southern manners. He's quick to act in the face of danger. He is a hero because he doesn't want anything that happened to him happen to anyone else. He knows this is a lofty goal, but that doesn't mean he can't try.

Powers & Tactics: The most common tactic is to inflict his enemies with maladies and aid his allies. If the maladies don't work on the enemies and he needs to go on the offensive, he can either mimic his allies' (or his enemies'!) life energy or he can change shape into something dangerous and effective.

Complications:

Abilities: 4 + 4 + 4 + 2 + 4 + 2 = 20PP

Str 14 (+2)

Dex 14 (+2)

Con 42/14 (+16/+2)

Int 12 (+1)

Wis 14 (+2)

Cha 12 (+1)

Combat: 24 + 16 = 40PP

Initiative: +2

Attack: +12

Grapple: +14

Defense: +8 (+8 Base, +0 Dodge Focus), +4 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -8/-1

Saving Throws: 0 + 8 + 8 = 16PP

Toughness: +16/+2 (+16/+2 Con, +0 [Other])

Fortitude: +16/+2 (+16/+2 Con, +0)

Reflex: +10 (+2 Dex, +8)

Will: +10 (+2 Wis, +8)

Skills: 44R = 11PP

Concentration 0 (+16/+2)

Craft (artistic) 4 (+5)

Knowledge (current events) 4 (+5)

Knowledge (life sciences) 4 (+5)

Knowledge (pop culture) 4 (+5)

Knowledge (streetwise) 4 (+5)

Language 2 (Cantonese, English [base], Mandarin)

Medicine 3 (+5)

Notice 8 (+10)

Profession (Body Artist) 3 (+5)

Sense Motive 8 (+10)

Feats: 9PP

Accurate Attack

All-Out Attack

Benefit (Constitution for Concentration)

Defensive Attack

Luck 4

Power Attack

Powers: 28 + 58 + 25 + 5 = 116PP

Enhanced Constitution 28 [28pp]

Life Control 24.5 (49pp effects; Power Feats: Alternate Power 9) [58pp]

* BE: Morph 4 (anything; Power Feats: Features [covers scent], Precise), Growth 4, Shrinking 8 (Power Feats: Normal Movement, Normal Toughness), Flight 3 (Power Feats: Subtle), Super-Strength 3

* AP: Damage 12 (Extras: Area [burst, Targeted], Penetrating 3, Selective Attack; Power Feats: Affects Insubstantial 2, Homing 2 [2 extra], Indirect 3, Progression 2 [Area, 300 feet])

* AP: Emotion Control 12 (Extras: Duration [Continuous]; Power Feats: Mind Blank) and Confuse 12

* AP: Fatigue 12 (Extras: Range 2 [Perception]; Power Feats: Sedation)

* AP: Healing 12 (Extras: Action [standard], Total; Power Feats: Persistent)

* AP: Mind Control 12 (Extras: Alternate Save [Fortitude], Conscious, Duration [sustained]; Power Feats: Mind Blank)

* AP: Nauseate 12 (Extras: Range 2 [Perception])

* AP: Paralyze 12 (Extras: Alternate Save [Fortitude], Range 2 [Perception])

* AP: Stun 12 (Extras: Range 2 [Perception]; Power Feats: Sedation)

* AP: Transform 12 (living to living; Extras: Duration [Continuous]; Flaws: Range [Touch], Unreliable [5 charges]; Power Feats: Precise)

Mimic 5 (all traits at once, 25pp; Extras: Duration [Continuous]; Flaws: Split Personality) [25pp]

Super-Senses 6 (Detect Life [Mental; Accurate, Acute, Analytical, Ranged; Drawbacks: Noticeable/Glowing Green Eyes]) [5pp]

Drawbacks: (-4) + (-3) = -7PP

Recurring Nightmares (Chance of nightmare with every sleep, check of DC 5 causes nightmare, after nightmare is fatigued until restful sleep; -4)

Vulnerability (to Transforms and other attacks that involuntarily change his shape or form, x2 to DC modifier; Uncommon, Major; -3)

DC Block

ATTACK              RANGE          SAVE                      EFFECT

Unarmed             Touch          Toughness 17 (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Damage              Touch/Area     Toughness 27 (Staged)     Damage (Biokinetic)

Emotion Control     Perception     Fortitude 22 (Staged)     Emotion Changed

Confuse             Range          Fortitude 22              Confused

Fatigue             Perception     Fortitude 22 (Staged)     Fatigued or Exhausted or Unconscious

Healing             Touch          Fortitude 22 (Staged)     Healed

Mind Control        Perception     Fortitude 22              Mind Controlled

Nauseate            Perception     Fortitude 22 (Staged)     Sickened or Nauseated or Helpless

Paralyze            Perception     Fortitude 22 (Staged)     Slowed or Paralyzed

Stun                Perception     Fortitude 22 (Staged)     Dazed or Stunned or Unconscious

Tranform            Touch          Fortitude 22              Transformed

Abilities (20) + Combat (40) + Saving Throws (16) + Skills (11) + Feats (9) + Powers (116) - Drawbacks (7) = 205/207 Power Points

So... is he a hero or a villain?

Defense: 10 (+20)

Initiative: - (+2)

Grapple: - (+2)

Why +20 on Defense? Why "- (+2)" for Initiative and Grapple?

Defense is typically just listed as the bonus (in your case, it seems, as "+10"), wither the cost in pp (20pp for you) either listed after it or at the end of the Combat section.

Initiative and Grapple tend to be listed as just their total bonuses, especially in a case like your character where the bonuses are fairly static.

Feats

Attack Specialization is for specific powers, not entire Arrays.

Why does he have Luck 5? We do tend to ask folks to explain why they have any extra Luck, and I'm not seeing anything in the description given to really warrant it.

Powers

Is there a reason his powers are so Subtle that there's no way (short of GM Fiat) that their use can be detected?

So... is he a hero or a villain?
Hero... ish. He's got powers, he's not gonna use them to shoot babies and rob old people. Then again, he's human, so he could be manipulated to do some dirty things if played well.

Why +20 on Defense? Why "- (+2)" for Initiative and Grapple?

Defense is typically just listed as the bonus (in your case, it seems, as "+10"), wither the cost in pp (20pp for you) either listed after it or at the end of the Combat section.

Initiative and Grapple tend to be listed as just their total bonuses, especially in a case like your character where the bonuses are fairly static.

Fixed.

Attack Specialization is for specific powers, not entire Arrays.

Er, I sorta didn't mean it for the array. Meaning if he gets another attack power outside of his array, it'd apply to that too. He's a natural at his powers, but he's never used a weapon or fought before.

Why does he have Luck 5? We do tend to ask folks to explain why they have any extra Luck, and I'm not seeing anything in the description given to really warrant it.
The staff tends to not like huge arrays of powers, so they're basically for power stunting anything that's not mentioned.

Is there a reason his powers are so Subtle that there's no way (short of GM Fiat) that their use can be detected?

His power is to mess with people's nerves. He's not actually hurting the nerve, just activating it. And you don't feel your nerves activate in reality do you? Same concept.

The staff tends to not like huge arrays of powers, so they're basically for power stunting anything that's not mentioned.

I'm not sure that's a valid enough reason for having Luck 5, though. That seems to be a lot of HPs to start an adventure with (and that's not even factoring in HPs from complications or GM Fiat), especially since you already have six APs.

His power is to mess with people's nerves. He's not actually hurting the nerve, just activating it. And you don't feel your nerves activate in reality do you? Same concept.

That sounds more like it would cover the result of the effect on the target (and so would be under the purview of the Insidious extra), but not the use of the power itself. Or, to put it another way, is there some reason that no one can detect that he's the one making the target's nerves go wonky? Some reason for no one to be able to detect that he's doing stuff? (Remember, "in reality," radiation can't be seen and soundwaves can't form visible tangible objects, but in comics they can. ;) )

I'm not sure that's a valid enough reason for having Luck 5, though. That seems to be a lot of HPs to start an adventure with (and that's not even factoring in HPs from complications or GM Fiat), especially since you already have six APs.

So, what would be a fair amount?

That sounds more like it would cover the result of the effect on the target (and so would be under the purview of the Insidious extra), but not the use of the power itself. Or, to put it another way, is there some reason that no one can detect that he's the one making the target's nerves go wonky? Some reason for no one to be able to detect that he's doing stuff? (Remember, "in reality," radiation can't be seen and soundwaves can't form visible tangible objects, but in comics they can. ;) )

I'm trying to play it as, "they won't know what hit them", but the after effects will be seen. Not having any books but the core sucks, so I have to ask, what does "Insidious" do?

So, what would be a fair amount?

I'm not sure, but that's what other Refs are for ;) I'll confer with 'em.

I'm trying to play it as, "they won't know what hit them", but the after effects will be seen.

By "They," do you mean "the target" or "the target and anyone/everyone else viewing the attack no matter what exotic senses they use"? If the latter, you're going to need a very good reason for that, because it is extremely rare (in my experience) for an effect to be completely undetectable by anything but GM Fiat (i.e., cheating).

Not having any books but the core sucks, so I have to ask, what does "Insidious" do?

The Insidious extra makes the result of the effect not immediately noticeable; it takes a DC 20 skill check (usually Notice, but possibly some Knowledge or Medicine) or a particular sense (like "Detect Magic" or "Magic Awareness") to detect the result. So someone hit with an Insidious Damage effect won't know they're damaged unless they make the required skill check/has the appropriate super-sense, or some ally does and communicates the fact to them. Insidious does not make the effect itself harder to notice; that's what the Subtle PF is for. If an effect is Insidious but not Subtle, then the target would see the beam/ray/whatever coming, but they wouldn't feel any different when struck and would think it had no effect (unless they or some ally makes the Notice check or uses some super-sense to detect the result).

By "They," do you mean "the target" or "the target and anyone/everyone else viewing the attack no matter what exotic senses they use"? If the latter, you're going to need a very good reason for that, because it is extremely rare (in my experience) for an effect to be completely undetectable by anything but GM Fiat (i.e., cheating).

The target won't know it's his nerves acting up unless he knows what a nerve spasm is. People around the target won't know it's a nerve spasm unless they see the activated nerve as it happens. So I'm guessing not Subtle 2, maybe Subtle 1?

The target won't know it's his nerves acting up unless he knows what a nerve spasm is. People around the target won't know it's a nerve spasm unless they see the activated nerve as it happens. So I'm guessing not Subtle 2, maybe Subtle 1?

That depends (and is the point I've been trying to address): if one of the observers (or even the target) has some Super-Sense like "Detect Mutant Powers" or "Mutant Power Awareness," and they happen to be looking in your direction as you attack someone with your powers, would they be able to detect that some Mutant power has been used in the area? If they had some accurate "Mutant Power Awarenes" super-sense, would they be able to detect that it was specifically your guy who used a Mutant power? (Basically, could Charles Xavier using Cerebro detect that he's using Mutant powers?)

If the answer is yes, then that's Subtle 1.

If the answer is no, that'd be Subtle 2, and would require a good deal of explaining/a very good reason.

Oh, and as for the Luck and power stunting: you do realize that you can, strictly speaking, do power stunts (i.e., use extra Effort) without spending an HP, right? Some people do overlook that.

That depends (and is the point I've been trying to address): if one of the observers (or even the target) has some Super-Sense like "Detect Mutant Powers" or "Mutant Power Awareness," and they happen to be looking in your direction as you attack someone with your powers, would they be able to detect that some Mutant power has been used in the area? If they had some accurate "Mutant Power Awarenes" super-sense, would they be able to detect that it was specifically your guy who used a Mutant power? (Basically, could Charles Xavier using Cerebro detect that he's using Mutant powers?)

If the answer is yes, then that's Subtle 1.

If the answer is no, that'd be Subtle 2, and would require a good deal of explaining/a very good reason.

Fixed.

Oh, and as for the Luck and power stunting: you do realize that you can, strictly speaking, do power stunts (i.e., use extra Effort) without spending an HP, right? Some people do overlook that.
I'm going for the "natural with his powers" shtick. Now, if power stunting doesn't cause fatigue in this particular game, I'll happily erase all the Luck, but if so, I wanna be on the up and up and I'll wait for you guys descision on what would be a fair amount.

I'm going for the "natural with his powers" shtick. Now, if power stunting doesn't cause fatigue in this particular game, I'll happily erase all the Luck, but if so, I wanna be on the up and up and I'll wait for you guys descision on what would be a fair amount.

No, power stunting, like any use of Extra Effort, does still cause fatigue here.

One ref leans towards Luck 2 at the most for someone who isn't truly built around luck (like, say, a Luck Controller). I'd be a bit more lenient and say Luck 3 would be a good cap. A few other Refs have yet to weigh in, though.

Would the "only works on beings with functioning nervous systems" count as the Limited flaw, a drawback, or a complication? The reason I ask is because most things that don't have functioning nervous systems (undead, robots, etc) are immune to Fort saves anyway.

Players Name: Sandman XI

Power Level: 10

Characters Name: Wesley Knight

Alternate Identity: None yet

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 175 lbs

Hair: black

Eyes: green

Description: An athleticly built brown skinned man. Looks to be around 18 years old. Hair in cornrows. Mostly seen in black baggy cargo pants (in fact, that's the only kind of pants he has in his wardrobe), high-top sneakers, and a tanktop.

History: Wesley grew up in the small town of Pace, Alabama. The population of Pace is 95% rich white families. Needless to say, Wesley stuck out like a sore thumb. He was either the subject of people's awe or disgust, mostly the latter. One person, George Walker, was a pain in Wesley's side ever since childhood. George tormented Wesley mentally and physically just because of the color of his skin. Things started to come to a head in high school. The feud got more hostile for both of them. While Wesley had a few friends, George had many more. The final blow was struck the night before senior graduation. Wesley was abducted in the middle of the night by George and his friends. By the time Wesley woke up, he was standing in front of a crew of white-hooded people in the middle of a wooded area. In an almost ritualistic fasion they had him bound and gagged. A rope with a noose on it was thrown over a branch on a sturdy tree. As they took Wesley to the noose, George shed his hood. With an evil grin, George gladly put the noose around Wesley's neck. As they started to pull the rope, Wesley's adrenaline rose and rose until something weird happened. He stopped feeling pain and started seeing everyone's life force. His brown eyes turned crystal green at that moment. By will alone he snuffed every life force in the area but George's. George tried to run, but Wesley used his power again to stop him in his tracks. Bursting free from his bonds, Wesley walked towards his held adversary. "I could of killed them, but I didn't. Know that if it ever comes to this again, I will end you. Got it?" George nodded what he could. Wesley made his way back home and packed his bags, saying goodbye to his parents. He left that night and made his way to Freedom City to learn more about what he could do.

Stats:

Str: 14 (+2)

Dex: 14 (+2)

Con: 14 (+2)

Int: 12 (+1)

Wis: 14 (+2)

Cha: 12 (+1)

Attack: +2

Defense: +10

Initiative: +2

Grapple: +4

Toughness: 0 (+10)

Fortitude: 10 (+12)

Reflex: 10 (+12)

Will: 10 (+12)

Skills: Knowledge (pop culture, current events) 8 (+9), Notice 8 (+10), Sense Motive 8 (+10)

Feats: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Attack Focus (ranged) 1, Defensive Attack, Luck 2, Power Attack

Powers:

Protection 8

Life Control

Nauseate 14 (Extra: Range (Ranged) (+1), Power Feats: Accurate 2, Precise 2, Split Attack)

AP: Confuse 14 (Extra: Alternate Save (Fort) (+0), Flaw: Range (Ranged) (-1), Power Feats: Accurate 2, Precise 2, Split Attack)

AP: Emotion Control 14 (Extra: Alternate Save (Fort) (+0), Flaw: Range (Ranged) (-1), Power Feats: Accurate 2, Precise 2, Split Attack)

AP: Fatigue 14 (Extra: Range (Ranged) (+1), Power Feats: Accurate 2, Precise 2, Split Attack)

AP: Paralyze 14 (Extra: Alternate Save (Fort) (+0), Range (Ranged) (+1), Power Feats: Accurate 2, Precise 2, Split Attack)

AP: Stun 14 (Extra: Range (Ranged) (+1), Power Feats: Accurate 2, Precise 2, Split Attack)

AP: Suffocate 14 (Extra: Range (Ranged) (+1), Power Feats: Accurate 2, Precise 2, Split Attack)

Costs: Abilities (20) + Combat (24) + Saves (30) + Skills (8) + Feats (7) + Powers (61) = 150

Approved.

Just to be clear, what'd you do with the 3pp freed up from lowering Luck from 5 to 2?
Now I wish I would of kept all those notes I did while editing, heh. They ultimately went into the array. I bought a few power feats and regular feats and shifted a few more points to come to what he is today.

I'm still trying to figure out what those freed up 3pp went to. Though, since everything does balance out, I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Approved!

Thanks! Me and Herid got the kinks out of the character the night he approved me. The points bound to be in the array somewhere as the darn thing used to only cost 50 points, but now it's 61!
  • 1 year later...