I have a new cousin!

Barnum

I don't know an exact number (which says volumes by itself), but I think I have somewhere between 10 and 15 first cousins; my mom has two sisters and a brother and my dad was an only child, and I don't think any of the branches has had more than 5 kids. Our branch lives in Illinois, there's another group in Indianapolis and the rest all live in Western Pennsylvania, which means they all talk like Jimmy Stewart :D

• 2 weeks later...

That is by way of a lot of family. Lots. I mean, call up just the close relatives to come over and you'd better have three or four grills up and running all at the same time.

My parents are from big families 7 and 8 and I have absolutely no idea how many children any of them ever had. We are disconnected from them and so out of the loop... Comes from having some family disagreements and a mom considered a nut job by the rest. Not a lot of bbq over at my house. So for all I know I could totally kick all your butts... and never know it. I just better trace the lineage of the kids my children date when their old enough.

Though as it turns out it'll be Barnum or Daedalus' relatives so no big worries. Or you'll both be hearing about it!

I can do you one(or more like 14) better. I have 39 first cousins, and about about 25 aunts and uncles. and they aren't even all married. Before you all ask, my family is Irish Catholic. We make the family from my Big Fat Greek Wedding look small.

I can live with that. :D

Look, there she goes

the girl is strange, no question

dazed and distracted, can't you tell?

never part of any crowd

cause her head's up on some cloud

no denying she's a funny girl, that Barnum.

Look, there she goes, that girl is so peculiar

I wonder if she's feeling well

with a dreamy, far-off look

and her nose stuck in a book

what a puzzle to the rest of us is Barnum

Now it's no wonder that her name

means "beauty" (yeah . . . right :P )

her looks have got no parallel

but behind that fair facade

I'm afraid she's rather odd

very different from the rest of us

she's nothing like the rest of us

yes, different from the rest of us is Barnum

Look there she goes . . . a girl who's strange but special

a most peculiar mademoiselle

it's a pity and a sin

she doesn't quite fit in

cause she really is a funny girl

a beauty but a funny girl

she really is a funny girl.....that Barnum!!

• 2 weeks later...

It has it moments. Though it worries me for my eventual wedding. The point is fast approaching where cutting out the under 21 year olds won't do much.

Yeah, weddings in my family are quite an affair. We don't have elaborate or fancy (read "expensive") weddings, but they are just soooooooo many people.

Crazy.

Fun . . . but crazy.

My wedding had less than a dozen people. My parents & bro and sis & one aunt, the wife-to-be's parents, and two of my co-workers. Cheap-o courthouse wedding, though the reception afterwards was at a fairly nice restaurant.

We've still not taken a real honeymoon (went to a nice hotel for that weekend), or done all the name-change stuff (we're taking each other's last names; her maiden name will become a second middle name and she'll take my last name as her last name, and I'll take her maiden name as my second middle name).